Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mistermojo posted:

to be honest I have no idea what these charts mean and I always forget whats good or bad. I guess its meteorologist twitters time to shine
basically as the millibars go down it means something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

smoobles posted:

This Hurricane Ida... Doesn't seem great. Looks bad actually.

Umm. Are you an expert? Didn't think so. Who is to say whether it is good or bad??

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

How many people are on ventilators in hospitals compared to when katrina hit

that seems like it could be a difference maker between tragedy and complete devastation

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

that seems like it could be a difference maker between tragedy and complete devastation

from feeling like you’re drowning on land to actually just drowning

not good

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?
http://tropicalatlantic.com/recon/recon.cgi?aircraft_page=NOAA3&product_page=sonde

161 mph surface winds, its a cat 5 lol

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Hatebag posted:

Ida know about you, but this looks like a tragedy in the making to me

ban

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

(NPR voice) we need to learn to live with the hurricane.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
pressure down, prayers up

edit: this is official advice from all levels of government

slave to my cravings has issued a correction as of 14:51 on Aug 29, 2021

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

smoobles posted:

You have to give the hurricane a chance

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
hurrf we couldn't evacuate on time duuurf

fraaaaaaa we couldn't duhhhhhh see this coming hrmmmmm

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

smoobles posted:

you can't let fear of hurricanes change your way of life

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

the hospitals and ICU's are full and couldn't be evacuated because there was nowhere to evacuate them to because hospitals in the surrounding states are full of covid patients as well

Brogeoisie
Jan 12, 2005

"Look, I'm a private citizen," he said. "One thing that I don't have to do is sit here and open my kimono as it relates to how much money I make or didn't."
if you have a car and live in NOLA, baton rouge or Louisiana coast drive straight north and get out now.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

how prepared is NOLA for this to happen every year for the foreseeable future

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

next official update is at 10 am central so we'll see if they confirm these numbers. THEN we can expect some crazy headlines...

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits
This 9am update might be interesting.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
Gentle reminder that wind strength is a Big Deal and all but what makes a hurricane really bad is the rainfall per hour (for how many hours) and the storm surge which are loosely related to wind speed/category

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Extremely normal weather occurring today.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

The hurricane has become endemic

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

we did it!!

Brogeoisie
Jan 12, 2005

"Look, I'm a private citizen," he said. "One thing that I don't have to do is sit here and open my kimono as it relates to how much money I make or didn't."

Derek Fcking Carr posted:

Gentle reminder that wind strength is a Big Deal and all but what makes a hurricane really bad is the rainfall per hour (for how many hours) and the storm surge which are loosely related to wind speed/category

161 mph wind will flatten entire cities. Wind matters

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
just a reminder that 20 people up and washed away in a Tennessee town in the middle of the day with no warning last week. happy Sunday

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

So when do we nuke it

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Derek Fcking Carr posted:

NOAA says 16 feet storm surge and 24" rainfall . Hope these pumps are ready

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

SKULL.GIF posted:

NOAA says 16 feet storm surge and 24" rainfall . Hope these pumps are ready

narrator: the pumps were not ready

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

blatman posted:

please be safe hurricane-goons

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
The state legislature has banned evacuation orders. All schools are mandated to reopen. Students who do not return to class will be tried as adults.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

shirts and skins posted:

The state legislature has banned evacuation orders. All schools are mandated to reopen. Students who do not return to class will be tried as adults.

just put on a mask poncho

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/Jeff_Piotrowski/status/1431980194122944513

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
please practice social distance from the hurricane (safely)

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

i hear injecting a paste of ivermectin and hydroxychloroquine into your anus protects you from drowning when you drive into a flood

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

jeff is always so excited to be out in a storm

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

But yeah I'd be shocked if the Corps of Engineers has done much of anything improvements wise since Katrina because I worked for them back then and they were always paralyzed by the dumb government fiscal year funding mindset.

Beginning of the fiscal year: Oh gosh we better not spend all this money because we might need it later in the year
End of the fiscal year: Oh poo poo we better blow all this money in the next two weeks or we will lose funding next year *spends entire annual budget on office supplies*

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Frankly I figured Miami would be the first major American city to disappear from the map. New Orleans making a strong push for that title

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

Brogeoisie posted:

161 mph wind will flatten entire cities. Wind matters

Yes, a high cat hurricane's eyewall will act like a tornado for a little while but windspeeds will drop quickly over land to a Cat 1 or whatever, but the damage and what will kill people is the water

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
if you're in nola drive south!!

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

actually a hurricane is more afraid of you than you are of it, just stand still and don't turn your back on it and it'll go around you

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

SKULL.GIF posted:

Frankly I figured Miami would be the first major American city to disappear from the map. New Orleans making a strong push for that title

New Orleans gets extra points due to being actually below the river level.

http://www.ccearch.com/geography-of-new-orleans.html

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Dolphin posted:

if you're in nola drive south!!

Alternatively stock up on those cocktails that look like grenades
you'll probably want to be good and drunk for what remains

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

etalian posted:

New Orleans gets extra points due to being actually below the river level.

http://www.ccearch.com/geography-of-new-orleans.html

what a profoundly stupid city