Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

2 figments in Feast for the Sense between me and all achievements. Give them to me.

Jerusalem posted:

Oh man the Feast for the Senses level :aaa:

Question: I've reached the point where the game tells me "do everything you need to do before doing this one", and I'm a little confused about what will trigger what I assume are follow-ups to earlier levels: Boole looking for Cassie in the forest and HelmutNick looking for Bob.... somewhere?. I ran around where I thought they were likely to kick things back off but didn't see anything obvious. Also I'm fairly certain I'm at least one power short still since there are still those small slots in some doors I can't pass through.

Its a bit of a fakeout point of no return; you've got like 5 levels to go before the end of the game it just doesn't let you out of the new zone once you say "yes, lets do it fam". When you finish the game you can go back for anything you missed anywhere and you'll still have access to the store in the final zone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Oh awesome, thanks!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I gotta say, the new clothes look real good on raz to the point where even though you get the option to switch back in the post game I couldn't stand them

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Dick Valentine posted:

I'm another psycho who only plays with kb+m and the controls feel great. Definite improvement over the first game and everything is customizable up to recognizing additional mouse buttons.

I'm late but thank you!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

They re-locked the Mystery Box that I won in a cutscene in Cookout and apparently it's a bug and won't reopen till the end game so I'm haunted by the lack of a checkmark in Raz's journal :negative:

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

They re-locked the Mystery Box that I won in a cutscene in Cookout and apparently it's a bug and won't reopen till the end game so I'm haunted by the lack of a checkmark in Raz's journal :negative:

I learned to let go of the checkmarks when I realized that you can't get a lot of them until the post game

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

You genuinely cannot check-mark a huge chunk of the levels until post game because you need the final psi-power to finish them completely.

Hollis's Hotstreak is weird; if you missed figments in the pill rolling minigame you don't replay it, but they do put the figments into the area around the machine. Eeeeexcept it seems like not all the figments end up near the machine, as I encountered a figment in records which I had already cleared on my first go in a spot where its not possible to miss a figment. If you're looking to clean up that level, you need to make sure you re-check all the entry hallways to the morgue dice area. Also, you know, you can't finish it without the final psi power.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Finished the game, 16.5 hours (not 100%, obviously). Worth every penny, worthy successor. Full game spoiler talk below.

I felt that some of the levels were a bit... tacked on, oddly enough, particularly Bob and Cassie's levels. I mean, they're clearly very well built and fun to play, but they don't advance the plot a whole lot. Bob's level paints an interesting picture of a poor dude who grew up with what I interpret to be an alcoholic mother? (At least that's what I assume "sneaking out into a greenhouse that turns out to be full of bottles" is supposed to be.) And then gets punched in the guts again when he believes his husband has died in part due to his fault, and just sort of becomes a recluse and starts drinking too. But the problem is this is someone we literally met for the first time two minutes ago and his only purpose is to be half of the key we need to open the next progress gate, so as interesting as all this is, it has nothing to do with the plot. I'm not even sure what Cassie's level was supposed to say about her, or what was up with the humanoid bee-swarms, or why they were keeping her hostage. That feels like by far the most half-baked of all the levels in the game.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Finished the game, 16.5 hours (not 100%, obviously). Worth every penny, worthy successor. Full game spoiler talk below.

I felt that some of the levels were a bit... tacked on, oddly enough, particularly Bob and Cassie's levels. I mean, they're clearly very well built and fun to play, but they don't advance the plot a whole lot. Bob's level paints an interesting picture of a poor dude who grew up with what I interpret to be an alcoholic mother? (At least that's what I assume "sneaking out into a greenhouse that turns out to be full of bottles" is supposed to be.) And then gets punched in the guts again when he believes his husband has died in part due to his fault, and just sort of becomes a recluse and starts drinking too. But the problem is this is someone we literally met for the first time two minutes ago and his only purpose is to be half of the key we need to open the next progress gate, so as interesting as all this is, it has nothing to do with the plot. I'm not even sure what Cassie's level was supposed to say about her, or what was up with the humanoid bee-swarms, or why they were keeping her hostage. That feels like by far the most half-baked of all the levels in the game.

Cassie was a hostage to herself, she was in control of the bees. In general, her level was about having these different sides of yourself for dealing with different parts of your life. Who is the real you? The you that you are around friends, around yourself, etc? Ultimately, you are a collection of yous. Her librarian archetype/personality was about closing herself off from being hurt / letting people down by locking away parts of herself metaphorically, which means isolating herself literally/physically.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
Has anyone encountered a Panic Attack in the post-game? I need that achievement still and haven't found any while cleaning up levels.

Still missing five figments as well... I will find you, figments.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Sway Grunt posted:

Has anyone encountered a Panic Attack in the post-game? I need that achievement still and haven't found any while cleaning up levels.

Still missing five figments as well... I will find you, figments.

You can find some of them in the psychic machines the skater intern asks you to fix, if you haven't done them all already.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Unfortunately I have. Hmm.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Oxyclean posted:

Cassie was a hostage to herself, she was in control of the bees. In general, her level was about having these different sides of yourself for dealing with different parts of your life. Who is the real you? The you that you are around friends, around yourself, etc? Ultimately, you are a collection of yous. Her librarian archetype/personality was about closing herself off from being hurt / letting people down by locking away parts of herself metaphorically, which means isolating herself literally/physically.

Sure, that's obvious. But none of that has anything to do with her as a character history or what you see of her outside her brain. Part of this is that, like Bob, she's introduced like two seconds before you go into her mind (nevermind that Compton is looking for her, we have no idea about her personality at this point in the game). But where Bob is very clearly depressed and possibly alcoholic the moment you meet him, Cassie is by all appearances a functional human (as much as anyone appears human in this game, anyway) being held hostage by bees. The librarian has no obvious connection to bees. In fact, the only bees in her mind are figments. And the two personas you hunt down were free to begin with, so what is the librarian keeping locked up exactly? Besides which, as the game itself points out, having multiple personas is not unusual nor particularly psychologically unhealthy. She doesn't appear to be particularly disassociative. Her vaults are just about her writing her book and then the crew kind of falling apart afterwards, but that had more to do with feeling alienated from the new psychonauts (and Ford being a complete wreck) than anything about her personally or the greater plot of the game. Then a bee person appears. I don't know, I don't feel like all this really coheres for me. She doesn't seem troubled the same way the others are, and so the "solution" is not satisfactory to me.

Hyper Crab Tank fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Aug 29, 2021

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner
One thing I appreciated in Psychonauts 2 is how Raz asks for permission before entering people's minds this time around.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002

Ironslave posted:

One thing I appreciated in Psychonauts 2 is how Raz asks for permission before entering people's minds this time around.

Great interview with Tim here where he directly addresses why they added that: https://kotaku.com/how-psychonauts-2-approaches-trauma-therapy-and-empath-1847544623

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Sure, that's obvious. But none of that has anything to do with her as a character history or what you see of her outside her brain. Part of this is that, like Bob, she's introduced like two seconds before you go into her mind (nevermind that Compton is looking for her, we have no idea about her personality at this point in the game). But where Bob is very clearly depressed and possibly alcoholic the moment you meet him, Cassie is by all appearances a functional human (as much as anyone appears human in this game, anyway) being held hostage by bees. The librarian has no obvious connection to bees. In fact, the only bees in her mind are figments. And the two personas you hunt down were free to begin with, so what is the librarian keeping locked up exactly? Besides which, as the game itself points out, having multiple personas is not unusual nor particularly psychologically unhealthy. She doesn't appear to be particularly disassociative. Her vaults are just about her writing her book and then the crew kind of falling apart afterwards, but that had more to do with feeling alienated from the new psychonauts (and Ford being a complete wreck) than anything about her personally or the greater plot of the game. Then a bee person appears. I don't know, I don't feel like all this really coheres for me. She doesn't seem troubled the same way the others are, and so the "solution" is not satisfactory to me.

I guess I just saw the pattern of the levels that her showing up made a lot of sense/it was pretty foregone. I think the fact that besides Bob, the fact that she's the most elusive of the Psychic 6/7 plays into her "troubles." She's not outwardly struggling like others / appears functional, but that's not uncommon for stuff like depression. I don't think the librarian has to have a connection to the bees, because the bees keeping her hostage is just like a subconscious form of psychic protection, and only by making her librarian personality understand that she needs all facets of herself/uniting her facets, does she let her guard down, and lets herself free. I guess the librarian hasn't actually locked up any personalities when you show up, but that might just be gameplay - or a sign that she's on verge of hitting the point where she might get worse? Like if I recall, the talk with the librarian was "these aspects only caused me harm, so we'll put them away where they can't do it anymore."

I also feel like the green needle witch is kind of a signifier for her state - she literally wears a suit to keep people away. (But also wants to hug people, which could be a cry for help?) As well, kind of like the overgrown vines, the fact that there's honey everywhere around the hive feels like she's beehaving in some obsessive manner? Like she's neglectig pretty much every other facet of herself except beekeeping is probably not good, and the fact there isn't a beekeeper archetype/personality might also say something about that? But I'm just reaching at this point.

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

Finished this last night, and I had an absolute blast! Didn't bother collecting all the bits and bobs since I figure I'll want an excuse to go back and play more. Had the exact same problems with the platforming that I did in the first game (aiming for ropes has always been a problem for me), but I'm awful at these games in general.

Kinda seem to remember being able to punch while levitating before, though? Definitely missed that. Only missed the shield during the last boss. The overall gameplay elements were a huge improvement.

The level design was just fantastic, both the psychic and physical worlds were a joy to explore.

(Minor VA/character spoilers) I'm a little amazed by how long it took me to recognize Jack Black. I was impressed by how good the voice actor was, but had no clue it was him until the musical number. Dude makes a great Navi-type sidekick.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner
Cassie is a writer.

They're spelling bees.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Worth playing the first one before this one? Always meant to but never got around to it.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Post Ironic Cereal posted:

(Minor VA/character spoilers) I'm a little amazed by how long it took me to recognize Jack Black. I was impressed by how good the voice actor was, but had no clue it was him until the musical number. Dude makes a great Navi-type sidekick.

It probably would have taken me to that point to realize it was them had I not known ahead of time they voiced a character/had a song in the game. Even then, it took me to a chunk into the level to notice.

Be sure to clairvoyance them in the post game.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Real Cool Catfish posted:

Worth playing the first one before this one? Always meant to but never got around to it.

Yeah, the first game is a great game on its own, highly recommended.

Just... do keep in mind that it came out in 2005

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

VA chat: I didn't even realize until now!

Also, am I crazy, or are there several scenes that are deliberately set up so that someone will ask a question immediately before a censor spawns so it's almost like the censor is answering "no!" in response to the question? Because I've had that feeling multiple times through the game.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
uh, you meet Cassie and Bob well, well before their respective levels. by the time you get there you've seen them from a bunch of other perspectives.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
also, that was one thing I expected to happen a la rashomon but it didn't, like security camera or news footage of what ACTUALLY happened at the deluge. some objective witness at least. a perspective that maybe shows how no one's recollection is entirely right, maybe gain a little more insight to it from there.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Barudak posted:

2 figments in Feast for the Sense between me and all achievements. Give them to me.

I'm missing three from that level and one from bob's bottles, release me from this sweet hell

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Beat it, liked it, but not as much as the first game. I liked the weirder levels and more reliance/developing stuff on the hub area from 1. It feels weird that they tried to split the difference around the halfway point.

I wish there was a hard mode or something because I actually was getting good at the combat by the end, as perfunctory as it was! I also apparently didn't turn off hints at the beginning of the game, and there's no option to turn it off DURING the game, so whenever I would walk up to a puzzle section there would be an enormous text box describing what action you had to do to proceed. Like tutorial stuff, which I want the first time, but not every single time. Annoying!

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

I was about to drop the game but PSI Master's level is going to keep me playing :toot:. There's a ton of little things that have been grating me in Psychonauts 2, and I absolutely adored 1. I largely don't really care for what they did with the hub worlds versus the mental worlds, and the ram judges fight was one of the worst boss fights I've played in a game. I just rolled around on a ball for 10 minutes kind of dodging and waiting for a chance to hit.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Studio posted:

the ram judges fight was one of the worst boss fights I've played in a game.

It's too bad, really, because I think that fight could be improved like 10x if only all (or just more than one) of the ingredients for the round could pop out of the same vomit so the fight isn't so drat long.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I'm missing a eyeball figment in PSI Kings level and it's driving me insane.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
to contrast a kind of similar boss the plants from bobs bottles felt WAAAAAAAAY too easy. I could TK all the bombs at them in like two seconds with that auto-aim. similarly I’m 90% sure Maligula wasn’t supposed to be weak to psy blasts like she is…. plot, settings and writing are what I’m here for, not the mechanics.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I'm missing a eyeball figment in PSI Kings level and it's driving me insane.

On the upshot, there's a good chance you can bet on it being somewhere in the eye shrine.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Wrapped up the collectathon. Some stupid banana on an island was my last figment. It's a little wild that 23.6% of players have collected all figments, though - that's really, really high for such a grind, and a lot of these are very sneakily placed. The game apparently inspires that sort of dedication, which is a good sign.

I'm at 56 of 57 achievements because I can't find a Panic Attack anywhere in the post game and I always just dodged their phantom attack. Bummer.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Skipping most of the thread to avoid spoilers, I have just one complaint, and it's the same as my complaint in the first game - constantly re-equipping your abilities sucks hard and I would REALLY like to make a separate keybind for each of them. Is that possible somehow? It didn't seem to be in the controls.

Otherwise loving it, only minor issue is that it's a little cutscene heavy and I would like to be able to skip individual lines to move things along without skipping a whole scene.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Finished it today, I think this is a fantastic game overall. The story was very fun and kept me interested all the way through.

Combat is much improved from the first game and IMO the combat arenas are usually quick and paced far enough away from one another. That's obviously a personal preference, however. The one level that I found combat to be overly annoying was PSI King's, where you're dumped into a fairly boring arena several times with an obnoxious enemy type.

The worlds themselves are the real stars of the game, just like the first one. They went all-out with making them feel unique, applying different art styles and using impossible geometry - and lots of puns. Also loved how the artists would weave together character themes inside each mind that tied into their backstories while not always hitting me over the head with the subtext.

CoolCab posted:

to contrast a kind of similar boss the plants from bobs bottles felt WAAAAAAAAY too easy. I could TK all the bombs at them in like two seconds with that auto-aim. similarly I’m 90% sure Maligula wasn’t supposed to be weak to psy blasts like she is…. plot, settings and writing are what I’m here for, not the mechanics.

Hah, I never even thought to use TK. No wonder the fight took me so long.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I got the Panic Attack achievement by accident by blasting one after it recombined, but apparently while it still counted. Later I hit one in a way that probably would have popped the achievement: A pin-expanded Time Slow bubble hit all five of them, then a pin-extended PSI Blast to bounce off all of them.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

If you're supposed to defeat the final boss some other way than with PSI Blast, I don't know what it is, because that's all I did.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

ErrEff posted:

Hah, I never even thought to use TK. No wonder the fight took me so long.

Same, something I kind of appreciate is there's some good counters to enemies that aren't immediately obvious/don't get spelled out for you. I was kind of having a hard time with the combat in spots and it's probably because I was mostly just using punches and psi blast. Then I watched my friend Use TK to steal the gavel from a judge to disarm them and do a ton of damage. One I found was pyro on enablers makes them stop buffing and stops them from knocking you back.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
pyro is good against everything but panic attacks, i think. pyro is just broken to gently caress.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
The biggest problem with combat is that i generally have a different ability on Q each time i get into a fight and i can't be bothered changing back, so i mainly end up just using tk / gun because I reliably have those.

Not being able to map number keys or similar to my abilities was the single worst thing about the game by a mile.

Anyone got any cool screenshots? I could use some teams backgrounds from this...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

CoolCab posted:

pyro is good against everything but panic attacks, i think. pyro is just broken to gently caress.

Big pyro is also great for when you're figment hunting and want to burn down all the scenery for money.