Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

Zeta Acosta posted:

i have a old xeon 1246 and a h81m-e33. no windows 11 for me?

Not officially, but if you really want it I'm sure people will find a way around the install restrictions fairly quickly. It only took a couple hours for people to bypass it on the initial leaked preview build.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
yeah i can install a developer build cutting and pasting some .dll but it doesnt let me keep my files.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Zeta Acosta posted:

i have a old xeon 1246 and a h81m-e33. no windows 11 for me?
Unless there has been an update on this, the big sticking point seems to be that Win11 uses virtualization-based security and hypervisor-protected code integrity. Those features need something called "mode based execution control". The first CPU's to implement this were AMD's Zen 2 and Intel's 7th gen.
On older CPUs those security features should still work. But without the native hardware support in the CPU Windows will have to work with a software emulation of it, which will cause your performance to be poo poo.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

barnold posted:

I only noticed it because I was extracting a .zip via the 7-zip commands in the context menu, which are also hidden by default now unless you click "show more". not my favorite change, but then again maybe I'm not so thrilled with most every program I've ever installed adding its own options to the context menu resulting in a panel about as tall as a twin tower. I know there's software that lets you customize the context menu but maybe this will put an end to random garbage right click options

Honestly I wish there was a way to get the right click menu to default back to the full options

site fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Aug 17, 2021

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
Can I get a fully functioning taskbar on external monitors yet?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

teraflame posted:

Can I get a fully functioning taskbar on external monitors yet?

Just submitted feedback about this very issue (seriously use the feedback hub)

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

redeyes posted:

The guy that wrote taskmanager back in the day is on youtube and describes how it works. Im not entirely positive but I think it hooks into the Kernel itself with CTRL ALT DEL.
[edit] Dave's Garage

I love Dave’s Garage because of his age and experience forming his answers. He not only was a programmer and hardware guy, but was a bigger cog in development than some others. Even if Microsoft burned down today and the entire company failed to ever deliver a single new product, it would still be worthwhile knowledge for existing systems because of the sheer amount of Microsoft products that exist today in August 2021!

Most of his vids on YouTube are 15+minutes long, but since my home finally got a connection broad and fast enough for WiFi, I watch some longer ones that are q&a from n00bs (me) to professional coders and IT folks. Even answers questions I would not have known to ask, but are useful cases to learn about.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Hungry Computer posted:

Not officially, but if you really want it I'm sure people will find a way around the install restrictions fairly quickly. It only took a couple hours for people to bypass it on the initial leaked preview build.

Don’t forget (discussed in the GPU thread) the crypto currency’s breaking some of the hardware/software by Nvidia meant to restrict hashing schemes so their long term (and loyal) users would not desert them over the supply problems of 2020 and beyond!
Some things must be done a certain way down to the molecular level that hasn’t been changed because that’s just the best way to work at all, like breaking codes between English speakers still have to follow English grammar, alphabet, and punctuation to be legible to the recipient. There are billions of ways a computer can crack a code, but if your code between English speakers comes out in plain Swahili text, the intended reader won’t understand it anyway. Networks and hardware/software, for general use, has to follow rules for their own engineers and employees, and smart people can usually unwind it with big brain(s) and focus/time/incentives.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Is anyone else having major issues with Explorer? Right clicking files locks up the entire window until I close it from the taskbar, and attempting to open photos results in a blank screen, like the Photos app isn't able to load the picture and is getting stuck. But I can open the app itself from the start menu and view photos within it, it's just when opening pictures specifically from Explorer, so I don't think it's the app itself.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah I had that exact problem for a month or so. I hosed with my Open With menu which ended up doing nothing. After applying all updates it seems to have stopped entirely. Odd.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I've applied all updates, so I guess I'm stuck with it for the time being, until a future update theoretically unfucks it.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I've applied all updates, so I guess I'm stuck with it for the time being, until a future update theoretically unfucks it.

You might try doing a thorough disk cleanup in case it's something corrupted in a cache or the like.

Edit: I misread which thread I was in and thought it was the Windows 10 thread - the above might help, but since it's Windows 11 :shrug:

CaptainSarcastic fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Aug 21, 2021

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
There's some changes/bug in Windows 11 that don't gel with some games. At least Prepar3D, CS:Go and Saints Row 3 Remastered do something to send some system service called Capability Access Manager flying off the rails, eating up as much CPU as it can, while also taking up several gigabytes of memory. If you're gaming and something inexplicably has poo poo performance, it's worthwhile to watch out for that one in task manager (some svchost taking up lots of memory, will stand out).

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Combat Pretzel posted:

Capability Access Manager

By name, that sounds like something controlling access to microphone, webcam, etc. things that can affect privacy.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Seems like it. It's unlikely the games to be the culprit, since the service exists on Windows 10, too, and doesn't get triggered.

I was trying out Saints Row 3 Remastered on the notion of being free, but wondered why it ran like crap, until by chance I looked into task manager and saw that service hogging around 8GB of RAM and eating >80% CPU cycles (on a 16-core Threadripper). CPU usage stopped when I killed the game, memory didn't seem to get freed. It's pretty much 100% reproducible. I hope MS catches and fixes it before release. There's already a bunch of entries about it on the Feedback hub, let's see what that's worth.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

Microsoft made a blog post about compatibility with older systems. https://blogs.windows.com/windows-insider/2021/08/27/update-on-windows-11-minimum-system-requirements-and-the-pc-health-check-app/

Basically the hardware requirements will only be enforced for upgrades through Windows update, not upgrades or installs from installation media*. And they've added these CPUs to the officially supported list:

Intel® Core™ X-series, Xeon® W-series
Intel® Core™ 7820HQ (only select devices that shipped with modern drivers based on Declarative, Componentized, Hardware Support Apps (DCH) design principles, including Surface Studio 2)

They claim that AMD Zen1 CPUs have 52% more kernel crashes than later AMD CPUs, and should be avoided for W11. They also go into more detail about the justifications for the hardware requirements.

*That's what The Verge's article about it claims, but I don't see that anywhere on the actual windows blog post.

E: Here's the updated supported processor lists:
Intel
AMD
Qualcomm

Squatch Ambassador fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Aug 27, 2021

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

From what I've been reading the UI regressions, especially on the taskbar, are so bad that I'm going to avoid Windows 11 until they fix that or I have a really compelling reason to upgrade, like significantly better game performance. On my non-gaming machines I'll probably wait out or possibly skip it altogether, depending on what they end up doing with releases.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah The Windows GUI shouldn't be hosed with like this.. its another touch bullshit thing. Im getting to the point I might start wasting my time learning how to make a linux desktop system not suck.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

redeyes posted:

Yeah The Windows GUI shouldn't be hosed with like this.. its another touch bullshit thing. Im getting to the point I might start wasting my time learning how to make a linux desktop system not suck.

I'm so very close to this as well, and it makes me super mad.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

redeyes posted:

I've used Linux as my daily driver for years, for various reasons. I pretty much only use Windows at work or for games - most of my the time my personal machines are booted into Linux. I've run dual-boots since the early 2000s, so I'm kind of used to it.

Forcing grouped icons on the desktop is absolutely loving insane, and would have a serious negative impact on my workflow, as well as increasing demand for tech support from my family. Just in the last month or so I had to help family with problems which would likely not have been a problem if it weren't for the default of grouping taskbar icons (and these family members tendency to run everything full screen).

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
just installed my third cumulative update for 11 since i installed it and somehow they still haven't fixed the default system tray icons not actually doing anything on single left click lol

RGX
Sep 23, 2004
Unstoppable
Everything I see about 11 screams "clusterfuck". Am I right in assuming that based on what we've seen so far, this is looking like a Windows 7/8 scenario where everyone that actually wants a robust and fast OS sticks with the old version while Microsoft goes into intense damage control until eventually relenting and releasing 11.1?

I have literally seen no genuinely positive feedback on ANY of the changes or functionality so far. Has anyone found anything they genuinely like about it since install? The closest I've seen is some mild interest in the way it handles splitscreen window views.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

RGX posted:

Everything I see about 11 screams "clusterfuck". Am I right in assuming that based on what we've seen so far, this is looking like a Windows 7/8 scenario where everyone that actually wants a robust and fast OS sticks with the old version while Microsoft goes into intense damage control until eventually relenting and releasing 11.1?

I have literally seen no genuinely positive feedback on ANY of the changes or functionality so far. Has anyone found anything they genuinely like about it since install? The closest I've seen is some mild interest in the way it handles splitscreen window views.

I think you nailed what is going on. MS jam packed it with poo poo that PC nerds don't want.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

site posted:

just installed my third cumulative update for 11 since i installed it and somehow they still haven't fixed the default system tray icons not actually doing anything on single left click lol

Upgrade and not a clean install? Unpin preexisting ones and repin them, thats what I did.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
it's still pretty early but it feels like despite Microsoft's ceaseless effort to prevent having another WinXP situation, the complete failure to offer anything compelling with Win11 coupled with Win10's overwhelming market share means that we're going to be seeing a lot of people holding onto Win10 for a very VERY long time

at least, until Win12 gets previewed anyway

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

RGX posted:

Yeah, I'm getting those vibes too, hard. Who knows what the hell Microsoft is thinking these days

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

im going to install windows 11 as soon as it goes gold because i refuse to learn my lesson

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

barnold posted:

it's still pretty early but it feels like despite Microsoft's ceaseless effort to prevent having another WinXP situation, the complete failure to offer anything compelling with Win11 coupled with Win10's overwhelming market share means that we're going to be seeing a lot of people holding onto Win10 for a very VERY long time

at least, until Win12 gets previewed anyway

Aren't they just going to slip it into the biannual big update schedule?

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
If Microsoft changes anything, it's bad, and change for the sake of change.
If Microsoft doesn't change anything it's bad, and means Microsoft is just resting on its laurels.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

With the hardware and TPM requirements they’ve ensured that they’ve locked themselves out of upgrading the vast majority of windows 10 systems.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

Icept posted:

Aren't they just going to slip it into the biannual big update schedule?

they will, but I bet we'll see a bunch of "here's how to hack up your registry or whatever to make sure you NEVER get the Win11 update forced on you" articles

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

corgski posted:

With the hardware and TPM requirements they’ve ensured that they’ve locked themselves out of upgrading the vast majority of windows 10 systems.

Various media outlets said yesterday that the requirements won't be enforced when upgrading/installing from media instead of windows update. I didn't see an official Microsoft source for that claim though.

I'm a little sceptical of Microsoft's claim that unsupported CPUs have 52% more kernel mode crashes in win11. They give the same 52% figure when discussing AMD Zen1 and for unsupported CPUs in general. Doesn't make sense to me that they'd have the exact same rate of failure. They also don't give any context at all for those crashes.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

corgski posted:

Yep, I don’t see the ryzen 3 2200u on any of the lists. I probably can’t update my 3 year old laptop because of it. It’s also confusing because it sounds like you can install from other methods but you might not get updates for it?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

codo27 posted:

Upgrade and not a clean install? Unpin preexisting ones and repin them, thats what I did.

no, the system tray. if i click on one of the default windows icons (wifi, volume, battery) it just pops up this empty box. this was an upgrade from 10, not a fresh install though yeah

RGX posted:

yeah tbh i only installed it to try out the touted "install android apps" feature, but that doesn't even exist in the beta branch, and everything else is just like, a bunch of changes that weren't needed. i think the only thing i can say i like about 11 so far is that they went back and made the System Settings menu layout not awful compared to 10

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Hungry Computer posted:

Various media outlets said yesterday that the requirements won't be enforced when upgrading/installing from media instead of windows update. I didn't see an official Microsoft source for that claim though.

I'm a little sceptical of Microsoft's claim that unsupported CPUs have 52% more kernel mode crashes in win11. They give the same 52% figure when discussing AMD Zen1 and for unsupported CPUs in general. Doesn't make sense to me that they'd have the exact same rate of failure. They also don't give any context at all for those crashes.

Everyone I've seen claiming that media installs won't enforce hardware requirements refers back to the Verge article, I think it's just a hopeful rumor. And a relative increase in risk also doesn't mean poo poo unless you know the absolute risk, which for kernel mode crashes I am assuming is pretty drat low already.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

i like the colorful new folder icons in Win11 :shrug:

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

corgski posted:

Everyone I've seen claiming that media installs won't enforce hardware requirements refers back to the Verge article, I think it's just a hopeful rumor. And a relative increase in risk also doesn't mean poo poo unless you know the absolute risk, which for kernel mode crashes I am assuming is pretty drat low already.

Given that Verge article said their supported configurations were 99.8% stable, wouldn't that mean a ~50% more crashprone setup would be ~99.7% stable?

that seems like a borderline statistical error difference or I'm misreading it

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

PenguinKnight posted:

Yep, I don’t see the ryzen 3 2200u on any of the lists. I probably can’t update my 3 year old laptop because of it. It’s also confusing because it sounds like you can install from other methods but you might not get updates for it?

That CPU is on the Zen 1 architecture (same as Ryzen 1000 series desktop CPUs), which doesn't have the particular hardware acceleration feature that MS wants for their virtualization-based security. This will cause performance loss, though how noticeable it will be day-to-day I don't know. See this article, scroll down to the section titled "A towering stack of security acronyms".

Hungry Computer posted:

I dunno, I could see that being totally accurate if they're banging on a feature that older CPUs don't fully support, and instead of fixing the problems with lots of code on their end they've decided to just say gently caress it no 11 for you. Apple does it, why can't we?

Which is where, after plenty of thought, I've come down on the "11 is a clusterfuck" situation. It's not a bad idea, but it's way too soon and way too confusing. Apple can drop legacy support because they put a ton of thought into the transition and don't confuse the squares.

This 11 stuff would work if they were announcing 11 this year and it was coming out next fall. Or they could do the hardware part this fall and call it 10.1 to make it less of a big deal. The plan that there's gonna be a multi-year period where both 10 and 11 are gonna be in common use, and they have different GUIs, is loving terrible.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Klyith posted:

That CPU is on the Zen 1 architecture (same as Ryzen 1000 series desktop CPUs), which doesn't have the particular hardware acceleration feature that MS wants for their virtualization-based security. This will cause performance loss, though how noticeable it will be day-to-day I don't know. See this article, scroll down to the section titled "A towering stack of security acronyms".
Zen+ is supported, which is pretty much Zen 1, and doesn't have that MBEC feature listed, either.

--edit:
I read on reddit that the Zen+ might have been dropped. >:[

--edit:
Without Intel MBEC or AMD GMET, performance hit can be as much as 40% hit with HVCI (Memory Integrity) enabled.

That'd certainly explain the frame rate reductions I've seen while trying HVCI in the past. Well, gently caress me.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Aug 29, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

The Merkinman posted:

If Microsoft changes anything, it's bad, and change for the sake of change.
If Microsoft doesn't change anything it's bad, and means Microsoft is just resting on its laurels.

This sounds like something the Windows team might tell themselves, which would be hilarious since the negative feedback is extremely pointed and specific. (hint: Don't make your desktop OS a touch OS with no options to make the mouse a first class input device).

Canine Blues Arooo fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Aug 29, 2021