Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

if nola doesn't have two cops per highway intersection, maybe they could have called in some reinforcements from those towns that always seem to have four cruisers prepared to respond to a report of black teenagers on bicycles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Marx Headroom posted:

I'm not excusing the state failure emblematic of late neoliberal cruelty and disregard for human life, I'm saying this storm got bad real loving fast and emergency response plans probably need to be revised to take climate change into account. poo poo maybe people just shouldn't be allowed to live there anymore at this rate.

Ida rapidly intensified twice. Its windspeed doubled overnight to become cat 1, then it went from 45 to 150 within a day later. That's freakishly fast, I doubt even China could move that much people and equipment overnight.

*notes down disloyalty for reporting to future Chairman of the US Communist Party Xi*

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
Lotta armchair experts ITT in des moines or whatever wondering out loud why the southerners dont simply drive on the wrong side of the road in a tone that implies that you can jump before a broken elevator slams into the ground floor to survive

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

rabble rabble
Mar 24, 2015

Nap Ghost

silicone thrills posted:

lol holy poo poo people were just like waiting next to an exit to die?

christ.

yes, they were standing in the little indent in the hallway, because that ostensibly would give cover, because they didn't want to push into the huge double doors with the words EMERGENCY spread across, just in case it wasn't really an emergency, you know? what with the screaming and guns and yelling and all.

i did not have that issue

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
This... doesn't seem that hard to me.

What you do is, you use this new gadget called a "telephone".

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

I’m choosing to be optimistic and predicting deaths will “only” be in the low thousands rather than the tens of thousands :unsmith:

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

there are live cams all along I-10 it doesn’t look as bad now as it did yesterday so hopefully those stories about people being stuck in their cars are outdated

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

TotalHell posted:

I’m choosing to be optimistic and predicting deaths will “only” be in the low thousands rather than the tens of thousands :unsmith:

what's that, like 2 days of American covid deaths? pfft.

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

direction of traffic is just a social convention

you sheep can follow your herd, i do what i want

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

i am harry posted:

yes this was also a big deal halfway between now and Katrina when they tried to upgrade some of them and the story can out again and instead of everyone saying “hang on the city can easily tax everything and fund an entirely new and fresh pumping system or else it will disappear forever under flood waters.” they just went to brunch.

raise taxes? during an election season?!

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

You can post literally anything on facebook and someone will agree or defend it. Even the most obvious troll poo poo like this. America.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

i am harry posted:

yes this was also a big deal halfway between now and Katrina when they tried to upgrade some of them and the story can out again and instead of everyone saying “hang on the city can easily tax everything and fund an entirely new and fresh pumping system or else it will disappear forever under flood waters.” they just went to brunch.

Thought New Orleans had the problem of the state of Louisiana just hoovers up all the money it can out of Nola leaving them with very little money to work with.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Dustcat posted:

direction of traffic is just a social convention

you sheep can follow your herd, i do what i want

the people of arizona believe this

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
maybe cars are not a good thing to build your infrastructure around

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

imagine having to muster literally hundreds of cops with three days notice

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Presto posted:

This... doesn't seem that hard to me.

What you do is, you use this new gadget called a "telephone".

Americans are so conditioned to expect our gov to take ten years to do next to nothing that the idea of doing something, anything, quickly is treated as an impossibility

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Derek Fcking Carr posted:

Lotta armchair experts ITT in des moines or whatever wondering out loud why the southerners dont simply drive on the wrong side of the road in a tone that implies that you can jump before a broken elevator slams into the ground floor to survive

if drivers actually did that and there were head-on collisions and poo poo, the same people would be laughing at the crazy idiots taking stuff into their owns hands

slippery doc
Jan 17, 2006

kill the boy,
save the man

weird how when there were blm protests in Seattle the cops could shut down the entire freeway in like ten minutes notice

rabble rabble
Mar 24, 2015

Nap Ghost

Derek Fcking Carr posted:

let me be extremely clear: when the cascadia subduction zone goes I will punch women, children, the elderly and the infirm to get to my car so I can drive east on 90 on the westbound side, and I will consider it a personal frogger high score if I can get to snoqualmie

this is a little local humor for those puget sounder locals on the thread for your sunday morning doom scrolling

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgQyw64i6n4

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Dustcat posted:

that's like 8 cops per hour

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Dustcat posted:

say "antifa caravans" and you'll have the cops out in three hours

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

healthcare for all Americans??? we can’t do that, but give us ten years and we’ll implement a lovely program that gives you an imperceptible tax break if you pay for your healthcare, have below a certain income, and fill out these seven forms

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I'm sure it'll be fine

https://twitter.com/opcd911/status/1431993418696339465

rabble rabble
Mar 24, 2015

Nap Ghost

fits my needs posted:

if drivers actually did that and there were head-on collisions and poo poo, the same people would be laughing at the crazy idiots taking stuff into their owns hands

lol do you think we could add funny music too like a usuper cut lol zoomed in from the traffic cams lamo SLAM

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i can barely program but I'm pretty sure i could take a list of onramps and a list of cops and randomly assign a cop to each onramp

I'm not saying it's the best way to do it. not at all. but on the other hand it's a better idea than resigning to drowning thousands of people on a causeway bridge

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I think the forecasts were spot on, even remarkably good:

https://twitter.com/splillo/status/1431997950478020608

Storms always strengthen quickly when they are heading over warm ocean water so uh this was all predicted.

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

hope everyone sees this tweet

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

rabble rabble posted:

let me be extremely clear: when the cascadia subduction zone goes I will punch women, children, the elderly and the infirm to get to my car so I can drive east on 90 on the westbound side, and I will consider it a personal frogger high score if I can get to snoqualmie

this is a little local humor for those puget sounder locals on the thread for your sunday morning doom scrolling

I will happily use those little highway cross overs the pigs use to radar gun to go into the wrong way lanes to gtfo in a serious emergency.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i like emergency numbers that don't experience technical difficulties

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

rabble rabble posted:

hmm, weird fixation on getting extremely violent against bystanders during an emergency.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

No Way We Could Have Evacuated In Time Says Only Coastline This Regularly Happens To

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

slippery doc posted:

weird how when there were blm protests in Seattle the cops could shut down the entire freeway in like ten minutes notice

Seattle is pretty used to hurricanes so this is SOP for them at this point

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Dustcat posted:

hope everyone sees this tweet

“like, subscribe, and hit that bell to get the latest alerts of when our emergency services are failing!!”

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Seattle is pretty used to hurricanes so this is SOP for them at this point

protestors are far scarier to cops than hurricanes

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup

rabble rabble posted:

I'll be stuck on I-5 north just outside JBLM like it's a regular day.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

smoobles posted:

No Way We Could Have Evacuated In Time Says Only Coastline This Regularly Happens To

The US is a low energy nation state equivalent to Jeb!

Brogeoisie
Jan 12, 2005

"Look, I'm a private citizen," he said. "One thing that I don't have to do is sit here and open my kimono as it relates to how much money I make or didn't."

Pryor on Fire posted:

I think the forecasts were spot on, even remarkably good:

https://twitter.com/splillo/status/1431997950478020608

Storms always strengthen quickly when they are heading over warm ocean water so uh this was all predicted.

Yeah this was probably the best forecast storm I've ever seen and was totally ignored until friday and even then was downplayed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

fits my needs posted:

hmm, weird fixation on getting extremely violent against bystanders during an emergency.
i would literally kick a puppy in the ribs if it meant getting away from a hurricane. id go straight to the spca and ask where the puppy section is and it would look like a straight taekwondo puppy tornado in there if it gave me an iota of a chance to escape