Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
I never claimed there was any lack of demand due to vaccine hesitancy. My position has always been that we can't know how much vaccine hesitancy there is because people who actively want the vaccine are still waiting for appointments, six months in now. My point was that supply fell, not demand.

And supply absolutely did fall when they cut off the corporate vaccination program. They literally ran out of vaccines. You can't give me that backdating bullshit about that.

There are a couple people in the thread who have this completely detached view that as long as we reach certain numbers it doesn't really matter when it happens. The news is now warning that ambulances might not come when called in Tokyo. So too late and too slow; the vaccination program has already failed in a major way and it's a question of how bad it will get, and how much longer it will go on. The answer seems to be as bad and as long as possible, because there are no plans to increase medical or vaccine capacity. Just to limp along like this and hope next year is better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

Busy Bee posted:

So who here has experience having to do a quarantine in a government paid hotel. Seems like depending on which country you come from, you have a 0, 3, 6, or 14 day forced quarantine in a hotel + the mandatory 14 day stay at home quarantine.

The hotel stay counts against the home quarantine, for what it's worth.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Waltzing Along posted:

I think Japan is doing just fine. They may have gotten started more slowly than other places, but AFAIK, that is because the government wanted to make sure things were safe before getting going. And until a few months back, the outbreaks had been small and quickly subsided. It's unfortunate that things have gotten bad over the past couple months.

Still, at the rate they are going, they will blow past the US very soon.

I didn't realize the US had seemingly fallen behind so much. :(
They used to be ahead of us as far as I'm aware, but now Sweden's comparable numbers are 55% and 67% (still behind places like the UK at 62% and 70%).

Hopefully Japan can get more doses and time slots available soon.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

sale on Banksy art posted:

And supply absolutely did fall when they cut off the corporate vaccination program. They literally ran out of vaccines. You can't give me that backdating bullshit about that.
Yeah, like I said it was an underestimation of demand and inventory fuckups between central and local governments. Even despite that the dosing rate didn't really drop significantly.

There's certainly an argument that capacity could be increased, but the speed of shots in arms has been higher than what the US and EU were doing at their peaks for like two months now. It's just straight up incorrect that the rollout is glacially slow right now in comparison to the rest of the world.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Bofast posted:

I didn't realize the US had seemingly fallen behind so much. :(
They used to be ahead of us as far as I'm aware, but now Sweden's comparable numbers are 55% and 67% (still behind places like the UK at 62% and 70%).

Hopefully Japan can get more doses and time slots available soon.

There's been a recent uptick in vaccination rate that's lagged behind the delta spike. Places like grocery stores and other shops have changed their signs from "vaccinated people don't need to wear a mask" to "in accordance with City's rule as of August XX, every customer needs to wear a mask".

Truly a demon cracker nation.

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot.
Mar 3, 2007

"I'd like to get my hands on that fellow Earl Grey and tell him a thing or two about tea leaves."

Phone posted:

There's been a recent uptick in vaccination rate that's lagged behind the delta spike. Places like grocery stores and other shops have changed their signs from "vaccinated people don't need to wear a mask" to "in accordance with City's rule as of August XX, every customer needs to wear a mask".

Truly a demon cracker nation.

The governor of Florida recently told school superintendents that he would cut their funding if they implemented mask mandates. It’s blatantly illegal, but he’s trying to court the anti-maskers because he wants to run for president. :allears: The US is a hellscape

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
LABOS OF DEMOCRACY

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

Busy Bee posted:

So who here has experience having to do a quarantine in a government paid hotel. Seems like depending on which country you come from, you have a 0, 3, 6, or 14 day forced quarantine in a hotel + the mandatory 14 day stay at home quarantine.

The Japanese government keeps an updated list of countries and regions designating who has to stay in a quarantine hotel. I think the health checks are a lot more stringent and frequent if you're put up in one of those. Somehow Hawaii has managed to remain "safe" and so I was able to choose whereever I wanted to complete my quarantine. Currently on day 1 in an Airbnb in Shinjuku.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

paperwind posted:

The Japanese government keeps an updated list of countries and regions designating who has to stay in a quarantine hotel. I think the health checks are a lot more stringent and frequent if you're put up in one of those. Somehow Hawaii has managed to remain "safe" and so I was able to choose whereever I wanted to complete my quarantine. Currently on day 1 in an Airbnb in Shinjuku.

Yeah, it's all included here and it's incredibly vague and confusing - https://www.mofa.go.jp/ca/fna/page4e_001053.html

For example, if a traveler is entering Japan from Russia, do they have to quarantine for 3 days or 6 days?

quote:

On August 11, 2021, the following countries/regions are designated (The above-mentioned quarantine measures commence from 0:00 am (JST) on August 14, 2021. For those entering Japan who have stayed within 14 days in The UK, Pakistan, Malaysia, Moscow (Russia) the quarantine measures for border enforcement as mentioned in (ii) above shall be applied until 0:00 am (JST) July 9, 2021.):
Andorra, Israel, The UK, Cambodia, Pakistan, France, Malta, Malaysia, Mozambique, Lebanon, Sates of Alaska, South Carolina, Tennessee, Nebraska (United States of America), Amur Oblast, Volgograd Oblast, Oryol Oblast, Kabardino-Balkaria Republic, North Ossetia-Alania Republic, Moscow (Russia)

So on August 11th they designated the following regions but it is applied until July 9th, 2021? And what is the "above-mentioned quarantine measures".... is it (ii) for 6 days of hotel quarantine or is it (iii) for 3 days?

As opposed to the UK for example where it's extremely clear on the requirements if you enter from Country A - https://www.gov.uk/guidance/red-amber-and-green-list-rules-for-entering-england

Insert Jason Atsugiri photo here

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
I know I'm stuck in quarantine so it doesn't matter too much but I haven't seen the sun in 4 days. Can someone tell the JMA to order us up some.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
tag yourself in the replies

https://twitter.com/tokyoiteee/status/1435931546112962562?s=21

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

lol I did buy tickets in April for an October flight because they were cheap but more importantly they were also refundable and I've already cancelled the flight because there's zero way they're gonna start allowing tourists next month

Rip to the people in the tweet though

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

"Open'er'up! Return to normal! Stop focusing on cases! I'm a foreigner!" Basically the same thing across all of Asia experiencing Covid surges.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

My initial reaction was a long the lines of "I don't get why they're mad about people hoping they can visit all the way out in October" and then I realized it's September already and that I'm still under the effects of the COVID time dilation field.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
October is early, true. But it would be nice if Japan would give some sort of timetable for opening up. They will be ahead of the US in people vaccinated tomorrow. They will be over 80% in October, if things continue at the current rate. At some point they have to feel safe.

But who knows. Maybe they will wait until the whole pandemic is over in never years.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Anyone who has tourist tickets now is basically guaranteed to have booked them when the pandemic was considered a full on raging pandemic last year when things were probably better than now, if not later when they were worse, so I don't really have sympathy for anyone at this point.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Waltzing Along posted:

October is early, true. But it would be nice if Japan would give some sort of timetable for opening up. They will be ahead of the US in people vaccinated tomorrow. They will be over 80% in October, if things continue at the current rate. At some point they have to feel safe.

But who knows. Maybe they will wait until the whole pandemic is over in never years.

Hospitals in the US are overflowing, if you're merely at US levels, opening up for tourism is a terrible idea.

Also, the US is sitting on a seven-day average of new cases of 3661, while Japan is at 12470. They're on the decline at least, but I definitely wouldn't be throwing open the doors--or even seeing a date to throw open the doors--in their position.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Delta's so virulent it can't be eradicated, so at some point every country will have to decide they've vaccinated as best as they can and live with it as an endemic disease so they can get back to normal. Given Japan's general risk-adverse way of doing things I expect they'll be one of the later countries to do that.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Waltzing Along posted:

October is early, true. But it would be nice if Japan would give some sort of timetable for opening up. They will be ahead of the US in people vaccinated tomorrow.

Sure, but the USA is also closed to tourism to most of the nationalities who regularly visit (all of Western Europe + a few other countries like India and Brazil). It's some real Biden+Trump working together nonsense too, since like Serbians and Croatians can visit, but not Slovenes or Hungarians. It's 100% nonsense at this point too.

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

Waltzing Along posted:

Gotta send a bloated post rehab Matthew Perry to OPEN ER UP

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Hokkaido Anxiety posted:

Gotta send a bloated post rehab Matthew Perry to OPEN ER UP

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Thanatosian posted:

Also, the US is sitting on a seven-day average of new cases of 3661,
wot

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Huh, when I put "US Covid Cases" into Bing, it decided to show me Washington state COVID cases instead. This is what I get for Binging things.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Thanatosian posted:

Huh, when I put "US Covid Cases" into Bing, it decided to show me Washington state COVID cases instead. This is what I get for Binging things.

Bing up your rear end

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Waltzing Along posted:

who's ready for sakoku 2

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
Funny how it's the people who live outside the country and have the least to lose from Pandemic 2022: Omega Boogaloo that are the most vocal about "opening it up" and "going back to normal" and "you can't stay closed forever" rather than the people who depend on the country's health system and economy being functional.

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Waltzing Along posted:

People can be a little touchy about the health and safety of their children who can't be vaccinated yet, who could have guessed.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

LyonsLions posted:

People can be a little touchy about the health and safety of their children who can't be vaccinated yet, who could have guessed.

Everyone knows Japan stopped having children years ago. They manufacture child sized robots while the population gets older and older.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I’ll keep buying tickets since they’re fully refundable. I’ve had to cancel two and i’m 100% certain that I’ll have to cancel the one I have for May but who cares. I do hope Japan opens up ASAP, by which I mean I hope things in Japan get better to the point they can safely open up ASAP. I wish the same for other parts of the world I don’t have tickets for though, so :shrug:

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

edit: nm

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I would like Japan to stay closed until covid is over so all the cool poo poo I saw still has amazing people to tell the stories behind those places.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Waltzing Along posted:

you know there's other places you can go, right?

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"

Stringent posted:

Do they have four seasons and convenience stores that sell egg sandwiches and ice cream monakas?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
watch a different youtube channel for a month, you'll be just as hype to go there

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Stringent posted:

You know I have friends in Japan who want to come back to the US to visit family but can't because they are worried they won't be able to get back afterwards?

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

Waltzing Along posted:

You know I have friends in Japan who want to come back to the US to visit family but can't because they are worried they won't be able to get back afterwards?

You've been able to for a year now. That's on them.

I'm preparing my second trip home now.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

leather fedora posted:

Do they have four seasons and convenience stores that sell egg sandwiches and ice cream monakas?

I've never had an egg sandwich that didn't result in a spontaneous detonation.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

sale on Banksy art posted:

You've been able to for a year now. That's on them.

Two-week quarantine is still kind of a pain in the rear end though. Rumors are it’s shortening to 10 days for vaccinated people, so hopefully it gets shorter than that before the holidays.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
Yeah, it's onerous, and the reason I have to go without my wife, but not being allowed back in is not a realistic concern at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

harperdc posted:

Two-week quarantine is still kind of a pain in the rear end though. Rumors are it’s shortening to 10 days for vaccinated people, so hopefully it gets shorter than that before the holidays.

really sucks for grade school kids, we can't go for christmas this year because we don't have time for a visit and the quarantine.

my in-laws are heading over to visit my sister-in-law so i got an earful about the pcr testing and that poo poo sucks. couldn't believe how expensive it is, and man if you pull a pos you're just completely hosed.