Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
Oof. If she recovers well, I guess she might still make Wrestle Princess, I think Pom was out for less than a month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Some thoughts as I watch the ​free Stardom show
​- I like the lady in purple in the opener. Looking at the card i'm going to assume this is AZM, since I thought I heard the announcer call her Azumi. Certainly seems to be evoking Kana with her look and kicks
​- Oh hey, Momo Watanabe. Someone I recognise, even if it is from only a single SEAd show back in February. She's as good as I remembered.
​- The clown's entrance seems entirely downbeat for a match that was largely slapstick. Don't like her schtick as much as Pom Harajuku
​- I liked Rina's attire when she made her entrance quite a bit more that her wrestling attire, thought the zip-up was a good look. Apparently she's only 14, her Gory Bomb was a real impressive feat of strength then.
​- It's certainly seeming that the Stardom offer dark match will be available on World this time, or the use of the logo is a massive bait
- I assumed Mayu was a face after reading the cliffnotes of the SLK saga, but she's such a bully to poor Lady C. It definitely made C's hope spots land for me, My favourite match on the card so far.
- Iroha's attire is a nice change of pace from the rest of the card (clown lady notwithstanding), and she started off the match with some sweet kicks too. She's up there with AZM (and Syuri who didn't have a match) as my favourites, i'm a sucker for kickboys and kickgirls
- Darkside SLK looks very evil for someone Shanghaied into it
- The double countout and double knockdown spots were a bit contrived for my taste, but a great match nonetheless, probably second behind the Lady C match

Fun show on the whole, don't regret taking the time to watch it

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
The "big announcement" was actually three things:

1. The Wrestle Grand Slam Stardom 'dark matches' will air on NJPW World; so they've sorted out whatever the problem was
2. Hazuki has returned: her promo was all about how Stardom has been overrun by these people that have come from outside Stardom and that she wants to inspire home-grown Stardom wrestlers.
3. Stardom are running Osaka-jo Hall on the 9th October - the same day as New Japan have a G1 show in Edion Arena Osaka. I believe the Stardom show starts at 1pm so any overlap should be minimal which is good: the last time this was going to happen was Stardom at Ota Ward while New Japan were at the Tokyo Dome and they were running head to head. I suspect like a lot of these big venues that Stardom and NOAH in particular are running are a case of venue deals allowing them to run places they normally wouldn't to look bigger but even then its still a big thing. First time a Joshi companyt has run Osaka Jo Hall since 1995.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Kaori Yoneyama/Fukigen Death is a hundred times the wrestler that Pom is and I will die on that hill

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
those words are entirely meaningless in the context of shtick.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

karmicknight posted:

those words are entirely meaningless in the context of shtick.

I WILL DIE ON THIS HILL

Obviously I'm jesting, but Death Yama-San into Gokigen Death into Fukigen Death has been consistently the most enjoyable character in Stardom. There's no one even remotely like her in Stardom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbUqNY-0aso

Just Mayu Iwatani repeatedly corpsing at her admittedly very silly shtick, it's great. I also very fondly remember an opener she had against Lady C earlier in the year, from 14/2. You've got lanky rookie against short wily veteran comedy worker & it's a delight, like the classic cartoon bit of "tall person holds back short person who is trying but failing to attack tall person". I'm a sucker for incredibly silly shtick

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

Kaori Yoneyama/Fukigen Death is a hundred times the wrestler that Pom is and I will die on that hill

someone who's been wrestling for over 20 years is better than someone who started 2 years ago? that's a controversial loving statement, bro

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Alaois posted:

someone who's been wrestling for over 20 years is better than someone who started 2 years ago? that's a controversial loving statement, bro

If you're going to get mad at least get mad about what I was writing about, which was the quality of the shtick of Fukigen Death, in response to someone it didn't vibe with.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

forkboy84 posted:

the classic cartoon bit of "tall person holds back short person who is trying but failing to attack tall person". I'm a sucker for incredibly silly shtick

She did that on today's show as well, it was pretty good. It was the shouting and gestures I didn't jive with, as opposed to Pom's shin kicks and the chest bongos which I always enjoy

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

I am just glad to see Hazuki back.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

If you're going to get mad at least get mad about what I was writing about, which was the quality of the shtick of Fukigen Death, in response to someone it didn't vibe with.

i'm not mad lmao i just think "my hot take is that a 20 year vet is better than someone who is basically a rookie" is a really funny statement

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

TV Zombie posted:

I am just glad to see Hazuki back.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

IceAgeComing posted:

I suspect like a lot of these big venues that Stardom and NOAH in particular are running are a case of venue deals allowing them to run places they normally wouldn't to look bigger but even then its still a big thing. First time a Joshi companyt has run Osaka Jo Hall since 1995.

That’s basically the deal. Budokan last year lost a ton of money with all the concerts and festivals not renting it so they dropped their price (a lot) so the corporate promotions are jumping on it.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Alaois posted:

i'm not mad lmao i just think "my hot take is that a 20 year vet is better than someone who is basically a rookie" is a really funny statement

Except I've already said that wasn't the point.

Anyway, I finally watched the first night of the 5 Star GP from 31/7 and there's some very good to great wrestling on it.

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

I'm being a bit of a moral perfectionist so I might as well ask.

Should I get back into watching Stardom? I really loved watching it years ago when Oedo Tai were at their peak and I love Mayu Iwatani but I've heard they're actually pretty skeezy and I'm not sure if I should get invested again.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I miss Tam time

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Prodigy of Victor von Doom
Good Stardom show. Most of the undercard matches were among they're young and inexperienced members of the roster. Very atypical as the only used a limited portion of the roster on the show instead of using everyone as they usually do. Only Ruaka and Tam Nakano were there solely as seconds, the rest who were not booked were watching the stream like everyone else was. They must have been scared straight from the Covid cancelations. Nice bit of misdirection as the NJPW announcement was all I thought they had for the night so the Hazuki appearance completely caught me by surprise.

Loved the High Speed title match. The Takumi/Maika match was good though I expected a little more. Rina is pretty good for only being 14 years old.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I think the Osaka-Jo Hall announcement was supposed to be the big announcement. It should be interesting if they feel the need to keep the show short to let people get across town for the G1.

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Well it wasn't the big announcement to me

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Oh man, the Stardom offer match for night one of the Metlife Dome is gonna be fascinating. Stardom is actually running a show that would prevent the people advertised for it to appear.

Card for the Stardom show

Utami Hayashishita vs Syuri

Konami vs Takumi Iroha

Himeka vs Mina Shirakawa

Mai Sakurai vs Giulia

Unagi Sayaka vs Natsupoi

Mayu Iwatani vs Rina

Hannan vs Fukigen

So they gotta use people not on this show and there's a lotta big names on this show.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Stardom is at 2pm in Shinjuku, offer match is at 4pm in Saitama so you might get Mayu and Giulia over if those matches are done quick but you're kinda relying on traffic being good. It's an hour drive.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/JoshiPuro/status/1432494549750931459

Morbid curiosity but how are IR fans 'delusional?'

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Joshi City is a weird guy who is into joshi for the photobooks and gravure so I wouldn't put much stock into what he says. I don't think there's really enough western Ice Ribbon stans to have any collective opinion on them.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
Yeah there's like seven of us and the only opinion we really seem to share is "Stardom is not my favorite joshi promotion" which I guess counts for him

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Joshi City is a weird guy who is into joshi for the photobooks and gravure so I wouldn't put much stock into what he says. I don't think there's really enough western Ice Ribbon stans to have any collective opinion on them.

if you're not careful on that website you'll see underage girls in bikinis.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
The Ice Ribbon Stan's Delusion is the belief that it's possible to Be Happy with Pro Wrestling without beating off to it or charging rubes hilariously high markup for Japanese magazines

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

At least the weirdest Ice Ribbon guy gave ChocoPro fans, like myself, a very useful history of the dentist's office.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Supposedly it's because he's bitter about the very mild pushback he had on this tweet for saying Ice Ribbon "dropped the ball" on Giulia fwiw

https://twitter.com/JoshiPuro/status/1287859768963596288?s=19

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
That's very funny considering IR was putting her in main events and very obviously gearing up to push her to the moon when she left

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Yeah but how many bikini books did they put her in, you delusional Ice Ribbon stan?

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
drat

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Joshi City named Arisa Nakajima as one of his favourite wrestlers, so he's okay in my book

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

But she was tag champs for a bit there. By that logic Giulia's in a mid card tag team right now.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/TheScariestCat/status/1432648362499588099?s=20

Seems notable

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Can Marvelous survive the roster reduction? They're a tiny promotion and it's not like you conjure up a few new women to pass a Chigusa level ring test.

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Aug 31, 2021

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

WTF? Today? The suddenness of the announcement and them leaving makes me wonder if this is punishment or something. Wild

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Stall_19 posted:

WTF? Today? The suddenness of the announcement and them leaving makes me wonder if this is punishment or something. Wild

Nah, it says they wanted to leave to test themselves and improve themselves which is the kind of bullshit niceties that Shingo and Taiji said when they got out of their contracts. Maria not joining them is notable but when Sareee was going to WWE and was on a Marvelous show on her farewell tour, Chigusa made a joke about how Maria was gonna leave her for a big promotion like WWE and Maria literally burst into tears and said she'd always follow Nagayo.

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Nah, it says they wanted to leave to test themselves and improve themselves which is the kind of bullshit niceties that Shingo and Taiji said when they got out of their contracts. Maria not joining them is notable but when Sareee was going to WWE and was on a Marvelous show on her farewell tour, Chigusa made a joke about how Maria was gonna leave her for a big promotion like WWE and Maria literally burst into tears and said she'd always follow Nagayo.

Oh so basically night one of Metlife Dome is AZM/Momo/Saya vs Mikoto/Mei/Hibiki, got it.

I kid, I kid. Though when people want out of their contracts from promotions as flexible as Marvelous you'd only think of 2 places well 3 if you count AEW.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

A lot of people are saying Hibiki is a weird fit for Stardom which I don't get cos she's just doing a much better version of Natsuko Tora's act anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

Vincent Kennedy Ogawa

Also, I've seen people guessing (or assuming) that Mei will join QQ. She tagged with AZM a couple of times, but QQ are the homegrown talent, so how would that work?