Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Red Mage has a very solid kit at level 50 and the expansion jobs all start with solid equipment, so it does feel good out of the gate.

You can spend your tomestones of Poetics on i130 weapons and gear; the weapons are the biggest performance upgrade for any job but both the RDM and BP share caster gear along with Summoner and Blue Mage so you can start getting those upgrades as you do content and keep trying both of the mages out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid
I unlocked the beast tribes quests but didn't bother doing anything with them because I was under the impression they didn't matter in the expansions. But I tried starting the relic weapon quest chain and apparently a door gets unlocked if you have rep with the goblins, I guess.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Duodecimal posted:

I unlocked the beast tribes quests but didn't bother doing anything with them because I was under the impression they didn't matter in the expansions. But I tried starting the relic weapon quest chain and apparently a door gets unlocked if you have rep with the goblins, I guess.

Goblins aren't one of the beast tribes you can do quests for, so I'm not sure what you mean.

The tribes in the expansions are they ones to do, they're a lot better designed. The quests scale to your level within the expansion (so 50-60 for HW) and you only ever have to do 3 quests per day, whereas you eventually do like 12 a day for the ARR ones. Also the quests are less annoying, no waiting around for boss FATEs.

They're not critical for anything, but they help with leveling other classes and have really cute stories.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Each tribe is contained to its own expansion, but every tribe regardless of expansion has

1) A full story
2) A combined story if you clear all tribes (SHB excluded)
3) Minions
4) Mounts
5) Glamour items/pieces
6) Other miscellaneous goodies.

So do what you feel like doing there, but they're worth looking at, and all but the ARR ones are solid-to-great exp in their respective expansion level ranges.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Are the ARR ones just okay exp? Because I’ve been going on a bender leveling up all the crafting/gathering jobs.

Speaking of, any tips for leveling fishing?

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Laughing at the scholar questline where each faerie is shown to be an unique individual with hopes and dreams! And then the major difference is one is blue and one is orange.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Regalingualius posted:

Are the ARR ones just okay exp? Because I’ve been going on a bender leveling up all the crafting/gathering jobs.

The ARR ones are bad XP, only do them if you really want the mount/dyes.

Except for the Ixali, they have a daily crafting/gathering delivery that is great for leveling. And their quests give decent XP too, iirc.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

angerbeet posted:

Laughing at the scholar questline where each faerie is shown to be an unique individual with hopes and dreams! And then the major difference is one is blue and one is orange.

Yeah, it came up earlier in the thread that one was focused on direct healing, and the other was a weird mishmash of support abilities

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Regalingualius posted:

The ARR ones are designed around the idea of you having to wade through a sea of hostile mobs to get to where your quest objectives are, then wade back through all the respawned mobs once you've completed your objective. So the quests themselves reward rather paltry experience because they expect you to be killing a bunch of stuff along the way.

The HW and onward quests are designed to scale to the level of the job you accepted the quest on, and reward a big chunk of XP appropriate to that level when you turn them in.

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

hasta que la muerte nos separe
I'm attending some random wedding in-game. THis poo poo's nuts lol.

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid
I thought the 729th whateverthefuck were goblins? Don't I have to run quests for them to get the guy to the right outside the U'ngorongo mines to open the door for me at the very start of the (black mage) relic weapon quest?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Begemot posted:

Except for the Ixali, they have a daily crafting/gathering delivery that is great for leveling. And their quests give decent XP too, iirc.

And they provide all the mats for their quests, too.

Duodecimal posted:

I thought the 729th whateverthefuck were goblins? Don't I have to run quests for them to get the guy to the right outside the U'ngorongo mines to open the door for me at the very start of the (black mage) relic weapon quest?

Those are kobolds.

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

hasta que la muerte nos separe

Duodecimal posted:

Those are kobolds.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Duodecimal posted:

They're kobolds you horrible racist!

But seriously the guy takes you to an area used solely for kobold quests. It isn't a shortcut anywhere.

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

Please to be restful, it is only a puffin that has from the puffin place outbroken.
They're kobolds, and you can get back into the mines without their help. All that guy does is teleport you directly to a back room for a quest.

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid
Goddammit.

I just went back in there ready to take some screenshots to post, and I realized the quest objective circle, while centered over the locked room I couldn't get into, also included a side corridor. So I backtracked and investigated that edge of the objective and found a little treasure coffer that contained the Stardust Rod.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

sweet geek swag posted:

But seriously the guy takes you to an area used solely for kobold quests. It isn't a shortcut anywhere.

The Sahagin have something similar with some of their dailies.

The point about killing mobs during the quests also goes into why folks tend to recommend backfilling ARR beast tribes later - not only does flying help make them easier to do, once you're in the upper 50s or 60 none of the random enemies in the areas will attack you, which goes a long way towards making some of the dailies vastly easier (sylph dailies in particular). Since the EXP rewards are so paltry you don't really miss anything that way.

Expansion tribe dailies scale based on your current level within that range. It is not an exaggeration to say that doing the 3 combat tribe dailies in SHB are 1/6 of a level of exp regardless of where you fall in the 70-79 range.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

In ShB the ordinary sidequests in settlements as you play through the story also scale to your level. They don't give as much XP as the dailies (clearing out a settlement will probably give you about a fifth of a level) but they award leveling gear which you can either use or sell for a ton of gil

Which is worth repeating, by the way: Any time you get offered gear from a quest in the overworld, whether it's MSQ or a sidequest, always take it instead of the Allagan Bronze Pieces or whatever. Almost all of the gear MSQ/Sidequests offer you is HQ crafted leveling gear which will sell for 5-6 digits easily. This includes the gear you get from the adaptive coffers that give you an item for whatever job you're currently playing.

There are a few exceptions, like in patch MSQ where you get blues or greens; those are untradable.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
Never played FF14 before and decided to check out the free trial. I am kind of underwhelmed after 3 hours today of playing Archer. It feels like a bog standard MMO from ten years ago. I don't know if maybe just Archer sucks or the early game in general but this doesn't seem...fun. The global cooldown is obnoxious and you have almost no actual skills to use. A friend of mine say to play this for the story but there isn't much of one so far. I've mainly stuck to main scenario quests and the class quest stuff, just hit 10. I'm not sure I'll keep going but I wanted to post to see if this is a common thing. If it gets better, when? I don't want to dump like 100 hours into leveling to experience 4 hours of story. Is there a better class to experience the early game as? The game seems to gate a lot of stuff which is frustrating, many locked icons and "you can't do this unless you buy the game and all expansions" type stuff. Put your best foot forward and all that. Anyways any recommendations to spice this game up or is it just not for me?

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Archer starts really slow, in my experience, but it does start to feel better -- you get an AoE at 16, among other things.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

The Gunslinger posted:

Never played FF14 before and decided to check out the free trial. I am kind of underwhelmed after 3 hours today of playing Archer. It feels like a bog standard MMO from ten years ago. I don't know if maybe just Archer sucks or the early game in general but this doesn't seem...fun. The global cooldown is obnoxious and you have almost no actual skills to use. A friend of mine say to play this for the story but there isn't much of one so far. I've mainly stuck to main scenario quests and the class quest stuff, just hit 10. I'm not sure I'll keep going but I wanted to post to see if this is a common thing. If it gets better, when? I don't want to dump like 100 hours into leveling to experience 4 hours of story. Is there a better class to experience the early game as? The game seems to gate a lot of stuff which is frustrating, many locked icons and "you can't do this unless you buy the game and all expansions" type stuff. Put your best foot forward and all that. Anyways any recommendations to spice this game up or is it just not for me?

What exactly are you looking for? What other games have you enjoyed? It would help to know what angle you're coming at this from. But some stuff:

1.) You'll be able to level solely by playing through the story. Side content is for leveling alt jobs and you never have to grind mobs.
2.) The amount of content available to you is about eighty hours or more of stuff. I'm not sure what you're doing to be running into stuff gated by buying the game, since the free trial is pretty expansive. What exactly are you hitting that's holding you up?
3.) All the early game classes kind of suck, you don't start seeing the toolkits open up until 30+ or even 50+. It gets more complex but it's a slow buildup, they treat every player like they've never played an MMO before (which is good because a lot of their audience hasn't).
4.) You've seen the first few hours of a two hundred hour JRPG. If you aren't engrossed by the story that's because you don't really even start the story proper until you hit level 15.
5.) This is not an MMORPG. It's a JRPG with MMO elements. If you don't like JRPGs you probably won't like this either, because it is one.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Keep playing until you get the ability to travel to the other cities, then take the time to unlock the other classes. Do their initial quests and see if any of them appeal to you more. I tried Archer early on too and it's really, really bland starting out.

EDIT: It's kind of wild to me how fast Monks get something of an actual rotation early on.

Vandar fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Aug 29, 2021

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Archer is more divisive than many jobs in terms of the early experience and also certain aspects of animation and hotkeys. Since you're level 10 now you can immediately try swapping to lancer (if you want to try melee DPS) or conjurer (healing/nuking). When you hit the level 15 MSQ quests you'll also get airship access to the other capital cities and could swap to any of the other jobs available (Gladiator, Thaumaturge, Pugilist, Rogue, Arcanist or Marauder).

That's not to say other jobs are going to suddenly have a ton of abilities and off-global-cooldown skills at level 1-10 due to the "We want this to be playable by someone who's never touched a MMO before" factor, but there is variety available in terms of job roles and playstyles.

Edit: While the free trial gates a few social type features (mainly to prevent abuse by RMT bots), a significant number of the "you can't do this yet" quest icons you're probably finding were either level 10 restricted (can't swap jobs until you get anything to level 10) or 15 (features that unlock when folks hit airship travel and can more broadly experience the world).

Tortolia fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Aug 29, 2021

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

In my fresh-faced (50 hour?) newbie opinion, Monks have the most solid early gameplay loop out of all the ARR classes imo. and they go from "pretty good!" to "I just want to high-kick people all day long" as soon as the 30s-40s skills start rolling in. all the classes you can take in Gridania are dire early on, tbh, and I say that as someone that liked Gridania enough to pick it above the other two cities every time the choice came up.

I have spent my last 5 hours of gameplay running around the Palace of the Dead as a Monk instead of leaving the Heavensward starter town, and I was pumped to finally get to that. I just want to optimize my rotation and open sacks

Ramie fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Aug 29, 2021

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

The Gunslinger posted:

Never played FF14 before and decided to check out the free trial. I am kind of underwhelmed after 3 hours today of playing Archer. It feels like a bog standard MMO from ten years ago. I don't know if maybe just Archer sucks or the early game in general but this doesn't seem...fun. The global cooldown is obnoxious and you have almost no actual skills to use. A friend of mine say to play this for the story but there isn't much of one so far. I've mainly stuck to main scenario quests and the class quest stuff, just hit 10. I'm not sure I'll keep going but I wanted to post to see if this is a common thing. If it gets better, when? I don't want to dump like 100 hours into leveling to experience 4 hours of story.

I had the exact same reaction to the first half of ARR, which I finished a month or so ago. It doesn't start getting better than other MMOs until level 30, and the story won't blow you away until near the end of ARR.

However, I'm in the post-credits quests of Heavensward now and I can honestly say at this point it's the most coherent, surprising and exciting Final Fantasy story since... I dunno, 10? Whatever the last one you really liked was. It kicks into gear hard at the 50 hour mark, and it's the only game I'll ever recommend with that flaw since it's a relatively small fraction of the total content.

I started as Summoner but honestly the pets seem a bit... bad in this game. Switched to WHM, having a lot more fun and I never have to wait for the duty finder anymore. Try more jobs!

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Wicked Them Beats posted:

What exactly are you looking for? What other games have you enjoyed? It would help to know what angle you're coming at this from. But some stuff:

1.) You'll be able to level solely by playing through the story. Side content is for leveling alt jobs and you never have to grind mobs.
2.) The amount of content available to you is about eighty hours or more of stuff. I'm not sure what you're doing to be running into stuff gated by buying the game, since the free trial is pretty expansive. What exactly are you hitting that's holding you up?
3.) All the early game classes kind of suck, you don't start seeing the toolkits open up until 30+ or even 50+. It gets more complex but it's a slow buildup, they treat every player like they've never played an MMO before (which is good because a lot of their audience hasn't).
4.) You've seen the first few hours of a two hundred hour JRPG. If you aren't engrossed by the story that's because you don't really even start the story proper until you hit level 15.
5.) This is not an MMORPG. It's a JRPG with MMO elements. If you don't like JRPGs you probably won't like this either, because it is one.

I played WoW for 10 years and love jRPGs. I'm just not getting much engagement from this. The global cooldown seems longer than WoW and there isn't any real impact to your actions or frankly anything interesting going on in the combat. When I hear people talk about this game, all they talk about is cool encounter design and story stuff but I have seen none of that. It seems to be a standard treadmill theme park MMO from the outset anyway. It is really weird how games gate their fun content behind a bunch of boring poo poo.

But I will keep going I guess until 30 and then make a decision. Thanks for the responses everyone, I'll try some other classes because Archer is super boring.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Not even 30.

1-49 is essentially a tutorial for mmorpg babies. The combat is very slow, many classes are missing fundamental pieces of their kits (or get them very late), and there's a lot of world building for the actual plot.

If you're not digging it don't waste your time, but it does get better at 50 and then considerably better once you hit Heavensward. And Shadowbringers isn't just a great MMORPG expac, it's one of - if not THE - finest FF games period.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

I'd say Heavensward is where the cool stuff you've heard people raving about really kicks in, so if possible you'll want to stick it out until then. You get hints of it in the base game, but it's that first expansion where things take off. Thankfully it's included in the free trial so there's no financial barrier with getting to experience that stuff.

And yeah, if you like JRPGs this is a great Final Fantasy game, it's just something of a slow burn at first. It goes places.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I'd say (for some classes at least) that the game gets a lot more enjoyable at 30, when you go from you class to a job and get a handful of new abilities there.

Going from Arcanist to Scholar and from Rogue to Ninja both felt really good, especially going to Ninja and unlocking your ninjutsu techniques.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
I will note too: I bounced off this game hard back around Warlords of Draenor. I had a lot of similar feelings about it (it's slow, "just another theme park MMORPG", may as well just play WoW), but picked it up again last fall and stuck it out. Not saying it's for everyone, and I know there's plenty of people here who would disagree, but it really felt to me like a bog-standard MMORPG until the end of ARR, but became something special later on.

It really sucks having to tell newbies to suck it up for 80hrs or so until things get to be good; I lost basically all my RL buddies in the 40-50 range.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

acumen posted:

I will note too: I bounced off this game hard back around Warlords of Draenor. I had a lot of similar feelings about it (it's slow, "just another theme park MMORPG", may as well just play WoW), but picked it up again last fall and stuck it out. Not saying it's for everyone, and I know there's plenty of people here who would disagree, but it really felt to me like a bog-standard MMORPG until the end of ARR, but became something special later on.

It really sucks having to tell newbies to suck it up for 80hrs or so until things get to be good; I lost basically all my RL buddies in the 40-50 range.

Wait what? 80 hours?! That's the timeline to fun? I might have to rethink this, we'll see how the rest of the day goes with a new class.

I guess I don't really "get" this game, WoW has you doing dungeons and stuff at like level 10. Sure you don't have anywhere near your full kit but it's trying to show you a good time.

The Gunslinger fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Aug 29, 2021

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid
I was very underwhelmed for my 30 day trial. Got up to somewhere in the upper 20s and let the trial lapse.

Got back into it about two weeks ago focusing 100% on finishing the story. The story does become slightly more comprehensible in the last ... 30% I'd say, once you start remembering who all these factions are.

Then you beat the game and get flying and things become less tedious. Red Mage is really neat. I thought I had it figured out a few days ago doing alternating between Jolt and white spell then Jolt and black spell, until I realized today that the procced white/black spells ALSO proc instant cast, and you can drop Jolt from the rotation when those are up.

Compared to black mage gameplay it's much, much more interesting. Black Mage didn't get interesting, let alone the least bit fun, until level 42 when you finally get the instant proc for Fire 3. Up until the, you get these spells that you never have any reason to ever cast - they cost more, take longer to cast, and do proportionately less damage than their lower level versions. I still have no reason to cast the Blizzard 3 because I suppose I don't learn the instant version of that spell later. If ever. Honestly I'm very tempted to drop the job entirely for Red Mage, since I've always been keen on a multidisciplinary class. It slices, it dices, it heals.

But I'm getting into the game a lot more now, especially since i'm not picking up any inclination of the Devs having a congenital hostility towards me or a habitual lack of respect for my time. Which is a plus.

On the minus side, I forgot that I logged out in my Weaver gear and was greeted by this on login:

If I'd thought I'd enjoy the game I'd have probably come up with a better name.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I just hit lvl 40 as a summoner (pet class with debuffs) and also scholar (pet healing class with different heals) - they're both jobs that come from arcanist, and they both level at the same time. I've also got some levels in archer and rogue. I've played a lot of MMOs, including some real weird Chinese ones.

1-30 is pretty meh. I'm not a Final Fantasy person (arguably the last game I played was FF Tactics) so the story is kind of whatever but I recognize the different classes.

It goes by pretty quickly, especially once you've got all the fast travel nodes, as they seem to have condensed the story missions to give a ton of XP, so you're wildly overlevelled for stuff, but then they level you back down, so the fun abilities are level-gated. The initial dungeons aren't too exciting but they're mercifully very short and pretty straight-forward.

The cities are annoying until you get all of the fast travel nodes, then they become slightly less annoying. For a game that explicitly wants you dodge scripted attacks, I don't know why there isn't a dodge button instead of the "run awkwardly away from the pain cone" system. The map is probably the worst I've seen in any modern game.

All in all it's enjoyable and as I level it's getting easier to see the rotation that the class should be using like 90% of the time. It really does pick up after a while, and "a while" in this case is like, two days played seriously.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
1-15 MSQ in particular is the "Hey you're a random adventurer" phase, but those stories (which are unique per starting city) is purely in service of getting you on the radar of the big players in Eorzea, and that actually happens very quickly beyond that point. One probably significant difference between this and WoW is that your character actually matters in the scheme of things and is recognized as an important player, not just someone weakening a NPC so a developer self-insert character can killsteal the Current Big Bad.

Coming from WoW, the GCD is going to feel slow. They start mixing in abilities off the global cooldown as you go, so it's going to feel less lethargic soon enough, and in the top end of the game most of the jobs are going to be in the 40+ APM range.

I'm not someone who's ordinarily like "RUSH THE STORY" with FFXIV, but outside of maybe poking at gathering/crafting or another combat job for a little bit, I would recommend pushing to the level 15 MSQ quests soon (so you unlock intra-city travel). At that point not only will you start hitting dungeons, but a significant volume of side content opens up then, which means you can take a break as you push on story and leveling to go do fun and interesting things like ocean fishing, gold saucer minigames, and have access to a variety of QoL and other feature unlocks.

I don't think "This game feels slow in the first few hours" is indication that it's not the game for someone, but they do lean on the "don't scare people off via complexity" side of the scale, which means that there's the possibility of attrition due to it also taking a little bit to get rolling. I absolutely disagree that you have to do 80 pure hours of drudgery to find fun in this game, but pure MSQ grinding and nothing else can wear folks down and it is absolutely not true that you have to speedrun MSQ into the expansions and beyond to find fun.

quote:

I guess I don't really "get" this game, WoW has you doing dungeons and stuff at like level 10. Sure you don't have anywhere near your full kit but it's trying to show you a good time.

The first three dungeons are level 15, level 16 and level 17. The first "trial" which is a standalone boss fight is MSQ 20.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

The Gunslinger posted:

Wait what? 80 hours?! That's the timeline to fun? I might have to rethink this, we'll see how the rest of the day goes with a new class.

Yeah, each expansion is about the size of a full FF game.

In WoW the point is to get to max level though. XIV you're supposed to enjoy the journey a lot more. This is probably hard to imagine with a mediocre start.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

angerbeet posted:

I don't know why there isn't a dodge button instead of the "run awkwardly away from the pain cone" system.

Dragoon has a button for this, but it usually just flings you off of a cliff.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

quote:

The map is probably the worst I've seen in any modern game.

This is definitely one of the things I'm struggling with and I played FFXI a long time ago. The maps are really weird and oddly low resolution to boot.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Duodecimal posted:

I was very underwhelmed for my 30 day trial. Got up to somewhere in the upper 20s and let the trial lapse.

Got back into it about two weeks ago focusing 100% on finishing the story. The story does become slightly more comprehensible in the last ... 30% I'd say, once you start remembering who all these factions are.

Then you beat the game and get flying and things become less tedious. Red Mage is really neat. I thought I had it figured out a few days ago doing alternating between Jolt and white spell then Jolt and black spell, until I realized today that the procced white/black spells ALSO proc instant cast, and you can drop Jolt from the rotation when those are up.

Compared to black mage gameplay it's much, much more interesting. Black Mage didn't get interesting, let alone the least bit fun, until level 42 when you finally get the instant proc for Fire 3. Up until the, you get these spells that you never have any reason to ever cast - they cost more, take longer to cast, and do proportionately less damage than their lower level versions. I still have no reason to cast the Blizzard 3 because I suppose I don't learn the instant version of that spell later. If ever. Honestly I'm very tempted to drop the job entirely for Red Mage, since I've always been keen on a multidisciplinary class. It slices, it dices, it heals.

But I'm getting into the game a lot more now, especially since i'm not picking up any inclination of the Devs having a congenital hostility towards me or a habitual lack of respect for my time. Which is a plus.

On the minus side, I forgot that I logged out in my Weaver gear and was greeted by this on login:

If I'd thought I'd enjoy the game I'd have probably come up with a better name.

Fire/Blizzard III are used to switch elements because once you've got astral/umbral like... level 3? It reduces the cast time of opposite element spells by half

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

On the plus side if anybody wants to try a new class, Rogue is probably the second best non-Job class questline behind Pugilist and comes with the upside of transitioning over to the still pretty decent Ninja Job Class quests. Pugilist moves into Monk which is imo one of the least engaging Job Questlines.

Ninja also gets to Naruto run around if you sprint with your weapon out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

The Gunslinger posted:

I'm not really sure where the 80 hour number comes from. Maybe that's the time to heavensward if you're an exceptionally slow player?

You'll be doing dungeons starting at level 15 (or rather, when the story is level 15; your actual level will be a bit higher because they've buffed xp so many times). It's pretty comparable.