Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Honestly, while I blame the chuds first and foremost, the biggest blame is letting the cancer of alt med fester for 50 years now.

There's more chiropractor offices than doctors in the city I live.

Too much money has been in the field of lying about miracle cures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

https://twitter.com/HawkeyeBrooke/status/1431840482494144513?s=20

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

ikanreed posted:

Honestly, while I blame the chuds first and foremost, the biggest blame is letting the cancer of alt med fester for 50 years now.
Right now, today, most major American drug stores sell fake cold medicine on the same shelf as the real stuff. These products (usually homeopathic) are purposefully designed to look as close to the real thing as possible, complete with "active ingredients" and "Regulated by the FDA" printed on the label.

The cancer runs deep indeed.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
Well now he definitely doesn’t need to wear a mask.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

ikanreed posted:

There's more chiropractor offices than doctors in the city I live.

Too much money has been in the field of lying about miracle cures.

50 years lol fake medicine has been around for longer than real medicine, even when people were using real herbal remedies hucksters would try to sell people the wrong herbs

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
I bet during the plague someone was selling like artisanal sheep oil to cure it

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

ShadowHawk posted:

These products (usually homeopathic) are purposefully designed to look as close to the real thing as possible, complete with "active ingredients" and "Regulated by the FDA" printed on the label.

France's national healthcare system only just decided to stop paying for homeopathy.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Spinz posted:

Let them eat paste.

:lofty:

That is a sublime post.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Colonel Cancer posted:

It was not uncommon for people to take a body part from a corpse and then sell "The left pinky toe of Saint Whoever" as a plague cure. Sometimes they would even have authenticity documents forged so they could better fool gullible merchants and nobles

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

QuarkJets posted:

It was not uncommon for people to take a body part from a corpse and then sell "The left pinky toe of Saint Whoever" as a plague cure. Sometimes they would even have authenticity documents forged so they could better fool gullible merchants and nobles

Time to dig up some dead right wing personalities lol

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Colonel Cancer posted:

Time to dig up some dead right wing personalities lol

“This is the left testicle of Mark Levin and has curative properties and wards against Covid.”

“Isn’t Mark Levin still alive?”

“What of it?”

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Colonel Cancer posted:

The irony is that fake medicine was safer than what-passed-for-real medicine back then.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

In addition to chiropractors, let’s get rid of acupuncture and homeopathic medicine too altogether please

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

dwarf74 posted:

The irony is that fake medicine was safer than what-passed-for-real medicine back then.

It took embarrassingly long time to come up with the concept of different blood types after it was established that blood transfusions can help patients.

Similarly, surgery and anesthetics with either ether, opium or simply alcohol.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

dwarf74 posted:

Homeopaths love to point out that the London Homeopathic Hospital had by far the best survival rate of any central London hospital during the London cholera epidemics, ignoring that a) medicine has actually progressed a bit in the last two centuries, b) sanitoria and other out-of-town medical facilities had similar or better survival rates, and c) the LHH is on Golden Square, uphill from the slums, and had it's own well and (crucially) sewer connection rather than a cesspit.

That one bit of epidemiological luck is about the only reason homeopathy didn't go the way of the leech in modern healthcare.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
https://twitter.com/NTarnopolsky/status/1431970271242641414
https://twitter.com/NTarnopolsky/status/1431972367719411718

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

That's interesting. My first Moderna left barely any soreness but the second kicked he hell out of me. Would a third shot tend to have greater or lessened side effects?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Arbite posted:

That's interesting. My first Moderna left barely any soreness but the second kicked he hell out of me. Would a third shot tend to have greater or lessened side effects?
Most of my friends who have had boosters felt pretty bad afterwards.

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Arbite posted:

With all the environmental and political stressors on us lately, I'm not sure I could tell whether this headache or that malaise or yonder jigglyguts had any smoking gun root cause in a vaxx shot.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Given that an awful lot of covid deaths are after failed long-term ventilation it's unlikely that any of those organs are gonna be in much shape to be transplanted anyway - lungs are obviously out, the kidneys are likely to have been destroyed by acidosis, there's going to be all sorts of fun stuff lurking in the heart and liver too thanks to clotting and other side effects of severe covid, and that's without even getting into the comorbidities that the majority of covid deaths were likely to have had. They tend to prefer organs from suicides and road accidents for a reason.

(I'd guess the waiting list for corneal transplants has never been lower though, so every cloud)

no pancreas no life! covid can also permanently affect your ability to produce insulin :(

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Fur20 posted:

no pancreas no life! covid can also permanently affect your ability to produce insulin :(

To be fair, this is somethingawful so like 50% of the people here already have that problem

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

dwarf74 posted:

Most of my friends who have had boosters felt pretty bad afterwards.

The 3rd shot was the worst of the three for me.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Arbite posted:

I had nothing but a slightly sore arm after the first. I had a very sore arm for days and one day of "extreme malaise" after the second. I had a sore arm for a couple of days and also a couple of days feeling generally "off" after the third.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
Pfizer triple hasn’t been too bad, 48 hours in. Extra sleepy but i probably could have powered through had I needed to

Butterwagon
Mar 21, 2010

Lookit that stupid ass-hole!
Just got back from a COVID funeral. Husband and wife both hospitalized; wife lived, husband didn't. She used to go outside in a full hazmat suit (before the pandemic) worried about the end times or something. At the funeral she wasn't wearing a mask and said she didn't think they work :psyduck:

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Breakthrough cases have always been factored into the vaxxed populations since the vaxxes were only ever rated at 95% efficacy against symptomatic infection to start with, and statistics on asymptomatic breakthrough infections were always hard to come by because there's not many large populations doing regular surveillance testing. The delta variant pushes the vaxx efficacies even lower and the CDC chose not to collect info on mild breakthrough cases so the data is even spottier now. There's still lots of elderly/immunocompromised/comorbid people developing breakthrough cases but anecdotally there's also lots of younger 'healthy' people getting breakthrough cases as well.

Also don't forget that Gov Abbott got a breakthrough case even though he was fully vaxxed and had taken a sneaky booster shot before those were available to the general public so don't assume that boosters will stop breakthrough cases either.

I did what I should have done to begin with and looked online, an article on The Conversation quoted statistics showing that 75% of breakthrough cases are in people 65 and over. I assume this will not be including a lot of mild or asymptomatic cases who never got tested.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

gay picnic defence posted:

I did what I should have done to begin with and looked online, an article on The Conversation quoted statistics showing that 75% of breakthrough cases are in people 65 and over. I assume this will not be including a lot of mild or asymptomatic cases who never got tested.

Yeah a lot of the stats quoted in that Conversation article are woefully out of date. If you click through their links to the CDC pages they're quoting they now show that women no longer make up the majority of breakthrough cases and elderly people only make up 70% of the hospitalized non-fatal breakthrough cases
https://theconversation.com/what-is-a-breakthrough-infection-6-questions-answered-about-catching-covid-19-after-vaccination-164909
https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/covid-19/health-departments/breakthrough-cases.html

...... which would also include data all the way back to January so it's still not a good indication of the current breakthrough rates, plus the restrictions and rate of spread and breadth of testing & reporting in each state are likely to be wildly different so the national rate wouldn't tell you much anyway. You'd really need to look at the latest breakthrough stats for your specific state or county, if they're even publishing them.

In a perfect world it should be easy for people to find this information because it's pretty drat important but certain states are going to crazy lengths to obfuscate the data because they're going all-in on "The virus is endemic now so we just have to learn to live with it" as if 'endemic' means 'just a part of life, no big deal'

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Pinecone Sample posted:

Are there really doctors who can cite any basis for saying booster shots have any productive utility in people under 60 or without immunosystem issues, because if so I haven't heard of any

You sound like one of the many goons yelling at people brining up reinfections months after the CDC had natural immunity mentioned as being "short term" on their website and the LEAD study being out, showing reinfection to be common.

Some Guy From NY
Dec 11, 2007
3rd dose crew checking in.

I got my 3rd Moderna dose/booster this past Friday 8/27. Medium soreness on Friday, major soreness the day after, but now today Sunday 8/29, no more pain at all. No fevers or anything. I did have a mild fever on my second dose, and a slight sore arm for 2 days after my first dose. This 3rd dose soreness was worse than 1st dose, but nothing unbearable.

Hope this 3rd dose boosts the vaccine strength. I'm immunocompromised and my job is seeing more cases and more cases every week.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

gay picnic defence posted:

Is there data yet on who the breakthrough cases are occurring in? Age? Time since vaccination? Underlying conditions?

This UK study is probably the most comprehensive breakthrough study to date (preprint). It's a prospective surveillance study where a large number of participants were recruited randomly (via address-based sampling) and then regularly tested through the present. Regular testing means that the study doesn't suffer from potential bias due to differential test-seeking behavior like case-control or matched pair studies based on testing site data. It is potentially subject to sampling bias (due to opt-in recruitment) and to behavioral or demographic differences between vaxxed/unvaxxed groups (since it is not a clinical trial).

The found that there was relatively large difference in effectiveness v symptomatic Delta infection between people aged 18-35 and those 35-64, and that protection declined notably over 6 months (from ~95 to 85% for 18-35 and ~90 to 50% for 35-64). People with pre-existing health problems had similar VE to health participants. Unfortunately, the didn't look at immunocompromised people directly - I suspect the sample size would have been too small even if they had the information. There is apparently a pre-Delta study showing that VE vs infection was only 59–71% for immunocompromised folks (compared to 90-95% otherwise), but I haven't been able to find it.

So yes, it seems likely that age, time since vaccination, and health of the immune system affect relative vaccine effectiveness, though perhaps not underlying conditions. If you're interested in how that translates to proportions of total breakthroughs, then it will depend on demographics and vax rates in each category (and the distribution of when they were vaxxed). VE vs Delta is declines to low enough levels that it's unlikely that immunocompromised people would make up a significant portion of breakthroughs even if the vax was totally ineffective for them, because they are only a small proportion of the vaxxed population (probably <5%). Older folks will make up a large proportion of breakthroughs in part because of the difference in VE, but also because they are more likely to be vaccinated and their breakthroughs are more likely to be detected because they will tend to be more severe.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

:vince:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

:lol:

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Paul Revere 3000
Dec 8, 2007

So like a pimp I'm pimpin'
I got a boat to eat shrimp in
Nothing wrong with my leg
I'm just B-boy limpin'

:thurman:

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

quote:

Authorities are concerned that COVID-19 fatigue will push case numbers higher, as Greater Sydney enters its 10th week of lockdown.

NSW Police issued thousands of penalties last week, many to people who were knowingly COVID-positive while out and about in the community.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-08-30/sydney-news-covid-positive-no-self-isolating/100416586

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

as a non-american living in a highly-vaxxed country, i have to ask:

why ivermectin? who started recommending this? is there any clinical basis to it's usage?

i'm just baffled how a livestock dewormer (right?) with brutal side effects became the newest fad in "treating" covid. there is basically 0 reporting on its usage in my country. when i google "why ivermectin for covid" i just get a bunch of poo poo about why NOT to take it

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

why ivermectin? who started recommending this? is there any clinical basis to it's usage?

i'm just baffled how a livestock dewormer (right?) with brutal side effects became the newest fad in "treating" covid. there is basically 0 reporting on its usage in my country. when i google "why ivermectin for covid" i just get a bunch of poo poo about why NOT to take it

From the little I've seen about it and the treatments Trump pushed early on that I've forgotten the name of, there's usually no basis for it or some crackpot US doctor/scientist latches onto some tiny inconclusive study in an obscure journal and spreads it as an alternative to real treatment/vaccines.

Speaking of vaccines have any of the US goons ever had anyone question your 3rd shot? In 9 days, it will be 5-months since my second shot and I'm curious.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Ivermectin is also the name of a human drug that was originally recommended by idiots to idiots (think hydroxichlonique or whatever that was) and when too many doctors wouldn't write a prescription up they found animal meds with the same name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

Its on the list of "rural cures dumbass americans believe in" after all the other stuff failed. The fact isn't anti-viral is a plus because they get defy government and the medical community. Americans just like being rebellious.