Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

:lol:

CSPAM shall inherit the earth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

hahaha Americans aren't even going to have language to process this

we let someone's tableau data shaping shortcut convince entire state and federal apparatus fully vaxxed = immediately after the second shot

what little good data we had on vaccines is just going to throw its hands into the air and huff off

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Petey posted:

what do we know about the science of ocular transmission?

Wear a face shield if you're worried

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
I wager a lot of people are going to stand firm on 7+ months for boosters because because don't want to 'look bad' by giving conflicting info.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

So for Pfizer you need three shots confirmed? Are the booster shots any different than the second shot was?

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

fosborb posted:

hahaha Americans aren't even going to have language to process this

we let someone's tableau data shaping shortcut convince entire state and federal apparatus fully vaxxed = immediately after the second shot

what little good data we had on vaccines is just going to throw its hands into the air and huff off

I was worried that not having an official 3rd shot on the books would mean being denied medical care for unrelated reasons at some point.

But in all likelihood, an insignificant amount of Americans are going to get the booster. Can't gatekeep 90% of Americans out of hospital care!

What a shitshow.

stump collector
May 28, 2007

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Feldegast42 posted:

So for Pfizer you need three shots confirmed? Are the booster shots any different than the second shot was?

Antibody levels are significantly higher after the 3rd shot than after the 2nd shot

Nodelphi
Jan 30, 2004

We are all quite capable of believing in anything as long as it's improbable.

Ham Wrangler

Asproigerosis posted:

hi how are you on a call in roster while currently active with covid thanks for taking my call sounds like solid hospital admin choices to have their physicians be superspreaders :(

Actually I’m technically clear to return at this point covid recovery wise but with my family recovering from covid they put me off until September just to be safe but this is a pretty big emergency so that’s been cancelled.

I’m on backup but if things fall apart the roster’s not that deep right now.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

Wear a face shield if you're worried

but the CDC says no!

I guess they're saying "don't wear a face shield with no mask" but if you're at face shield level I'd imagine you're already masked up

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

Petey posted:

what do we know about the science of ocular transmission?

We know that it is the primary method of transmission as evidenced by my hospital being being extremely emphatic that the special 30 cent plastic glasses they handed out are part of mandatory PPE but you only need an n95 for aerosol procedures because a surgical mask is more than enough to defeat the droplets of the virus that surely can't be airborne.

Genuinely infuriates me every time some admin asks about wearing the glasses, gently caress you bud. It's like a monty python skit where they're cleaning up nuclear waste and the running gag is that the one guy forgot to wear his protective condom as he dies to acute radiation sickness as management chastises him in a very deadpan manner.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

Nodelphi posted:

Actually I’m technically clear to return at this point covid recovery wise but with my family recovering from covid they put me off until September just to be safe but this is a pretty big emergency so that’s been cancelled.

I’m on backup but if things fall apart the roster’s not that deep right now.

Yeah I suspected given the dire situation in louisiana they'd drag your rear end in fully engulfed in the roni while you're on a rebreather to keep that o2 up for rounding. Good luck!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Here's some more ocular protection information:

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2769693)

August 17, 2020

The transmission of severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) is believed to be predominantly through respiratory droplets from infected persons in close proximity to uninfected persons,1 although airborne transmission may also play a role.2,3 Face shields have been proposed to prevent transmission in the community,4 but data are lacking. We describe transmission in a community setting before and after the use of face shields.

Results

Before face shields, 62 workers (40 women) visited 5,880 homes with 31,164 persons. From the 5,880 homes visited, 222 persons tested positive for SARS-CoV-2, between May 4 to May 13. Twelve workers (19%) were infected during this period. Eight developed symptoms (fever, cough, sore throat, myalgia, and anosmia) and 4 were asymptomatic. The 12 infected workers were moved to care centers. Four developed desaturation and mild breathing difficulty and were treated with oral hydroxychloroquine and oxygen therapy; all 4 recovered. Contact tracing of the workers who tested positive identified 14 van drivers, who were monitored. All were asymptomatic and tested negative between days 7 and 10 after contact with the workers.

After face shield introduction, 50 workers (previously uninfected) continued to provide counseling, visiting 18,228 homes. Among the counseled 118,428 persons, 2,682 subsequently tested positive for SARS-CoV-2. No worker developed asymptomatic or symptomatic infection.

Discussion

This study found no SARS-CoV-2 infections among community health workers after the addition of face shields to their personal protective equipment. Because the first worker became symptomatic 13 days after beginning home visits and workers had no contact with family, coworkers, or the public, there is no known alternative source of infection for the workers except the asymptomatic contacts of SARS-CoV-2 patients. The face shields may have reduced ocular exposure or contamination of masks or hands or may have diverted movement of air around the face.

https://academic.oup.com/jpids/article/9/4/413/5875939?login=true

https://i.imgur.com/682G8Vj.jpg

A Rosetta Stone for Understanding Infectious Drops and Aerosols

Which aerosol fraction—respirable, thoracic, or inhalable—is important from a health perspective depends on the agent and its target tissue. In the case of Mycobacterium tuberculosis, because the target resides in the alveoli, only the respirable fraction is relevant [7]. For a virus that uses a receptor present on the surface of cells throughout the length of the respiratory tract [8], all of these aerosol fractions are likely to be important (Figure 1). In addition, because the conjunctiva are susceptible to severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) infection, a spray of ballistic drops hitting the eyes or the anterior nares also poses a risk, in addition to the well-accepted risk of self-inoculation of these sites with fingers contaminated after touching surfaces.

When considering recommendations for protection of healthcare workers who must get close to their patients in potentially highly contaminated environments, eye as well as respiratory protection is important. For the general population, physical distance will limit exposure to splash and spray and contaminated surfaces, but will be less effective at blocking aerosols of even 20- to 30-µm particles that can travel considerable distances. Face masks that block shedding of inhalable and thoracic aerosols and reduce shedding of respirable aerosols [9] can be expected to make an important contribution as source control. There is evidence that physical distance, face masks, and eye protection all contribute to reducing the spread of betacoronavirus infections [10].

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

Asproigerosis posted:

We know that it is the primary method of transmission as evidenced by my hospital being being extremely emphatic that the special 30 cent plastic glasses they handed out are part of mandatory PPE but you only need an n95 for aerosol procedures because a surgical mask is more than enough to defeat the droplets of the virus that surely can't be airborne.

Genuinely infuriates me every time some admin asks about wearing the glasses, gently caress you bud. It's like a monty python skit where they're cleaning up nuclear waste and the running gag is that the one guy forgot to wear his protective condom as he dies to acute radiation sickness as management chastises him in a very deadpan manner.

lol yeah all of this

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

WampaLord posted:

but the CDC says no!

I guess they're saying "don't wear a face shield with no mask" but if you're at face shield level I'd imagine you're already masked up

lmao I've seen plenty of people with just a face shield, usually older people

my wife has one with a frog on it to comfort kids she works with (she's masked) but they liked it too much and kept trying to take it off her face

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Cloks posted:

lmao I've seen plenty of people with just a face shield, usually older people

my wife has one with a frog on it to comfort kids she works with (she's masked) but they liked it too much and kept trying to take it off her face

the only old lady I saw with one had both face shield and a mask

it still shocks me how many people are dicknosing with their masks like come on

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

WampaLord posted:

but the CDC says no!

wasnt there a study that said people with glasses were like 3x less likely to get covid or something absolutely loving bonkers

it might because glasseswearers remain indoors which gives them bad vision which could be correlation but lol

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

WampaLord posted:

it still shocks me how many people are dicknosing with their masks like come on

lol yup, at this point you HAVE to be doing that deliberately

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Bruce Hussein Daddy posted:

Today

Yesterday

Since Jul 26
https://imgur.com/a/j5Ag7mG

covidactnow.org

Jesus, Oregon, get your poo poo together.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
i was in an orange county until yesterday. rip

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

Fix posted:

Jesus, Oregon, get your poo poo together.

It’s the sparsely populated, trump parts of the state

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Glumwheels posted:

It’s the sparsely populated, trump parts of the state

multnomah just went red and its the densest part of the state by far lol

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IÃÂÃŒÂÌ° Ó̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉mÃÂ̺̩ Ç̬A̡̮̞̠ÚÉ̱̫ K̶eÓgÃÂ.̻̱̪̕Ö̹̟

when do I get to see some destruction

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Cloks posted:

the ones I really don’t understand is the people who do it in places where masks are optional

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Cloks posted:

and if you're at that point, just don't wear the mask at all, cause gently caress it, covid's over!

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Joementum posted:

attack............... of the killer vents!!

Lol this owns

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008

anime was right posted:

multnomah just went red and its the densest part of the state by far lol

think u mean "greater idaho"

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Israel also opened up 3rd doses (I guess we shouldn't call them boosters any more) for everyone 12 and up

https://twitter.com/NTarnopolsky/status/1431970271242641414

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Oh now they are back to 8 months?

Love the clarity on what the hell is going on

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Lol

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
I guess I'll try to get a booster in the 5-6 month period and hope pharmacies will be more open to it by then...

Oh that's only like 3 weeks away.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
gonna get mine at 5 months no matter what array of keywords I need to input

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Feldegast42 posted:

Booster shots are somewhat confusing but you can think of it as two different category :
1) Boosters off the existing mRNA recipe (Currently FDA approved / Being Done in Israel for everyone lol!)
2) Boosters being designed to target common variants like the Delta spike protein, a new mRNA recipe (In pre-clincal stage nothing approved yet)

I'd reccomend people stick with Israel is doing (5+ Months and up schedule for 3rd shot) given the amount of corner cutting we've seen from the CDC

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Hire Kenny G to play for me in the elevator.
I just found out the new New York governor is mandating masks in public schools. Public school starts next week for my kids.

I am seeing on Facebook a lot of chuds in my school district stating that "the mandate is not legally binding" and that they are going to send their kids to school without masks.

1) what happens when they do that? Does the principal get involved and kick the small kids out?
2) what happens if the teachers and school staff are too scared to kick a kid out? Is there some sort of number I can call to report the school for letting kids not wear masks?

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

we love to see it folks

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug
where's my slut juice booster shot??

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Blooster posted:

I just found out the new New York governor is mandating masks in public schools. Public school starts next week for my kids.

I am seeing on Facebook a lot of chuds in my school district stating that "the mandate is not legally binding" and that they are going to send their kids to school without masks.

1) what happens when they do that? Does the principal get involved and kick the small kids out?
2) what happens if the teachers and school staff are too scared to kick a kid out? Is there some sort of number I can call to report the school for letting kids not wear masks?

I would assume nothing happens. No one has any interest in enforcing anything.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

cr0y posted:

Oh now they are back to 8 months?

Love the clarity on what the hell is going on

believe the science

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

anime was right posted:

wasnt there a study that said people with glasses were like 3x less likely to get covid or something absolutely loving bonkers

it might because glasseswearers remain indoors which gives them bad vision which could be correlation but lol

yeah the causation wasn’t rock solid but it was enough of a correlation that people here took it seriously and recommended glasses/face shields

almost everyone in ICU covers their eyes, good enough for me

that study was from spring 2020, lol that nobody bothered to follow it up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

Blooster posted:

im in california but our schools have a mask mandate and from what I’ve seen it’s being followed. if a kid refuses to wear a mask they are kicked out. but if nobody has any interest in enforcement then who knows. depends on your school, district and teachers