Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

The shipping company appears to have lost my RG351, so that’s fun. I don’t really understand how this works but the Mrs. says that she likely won’t get a complete refund for the value for Christ knows what reason. Fun fun fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Was it shipping from China?

Also this Retroarch "competitor" has gotten the attention of Wulff Den

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZEkqWoY704

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAzTq6D8maY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c45kt9hUK60

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Aug 29, 2021

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Warbird posted:

The shipping company appears to have lost my RG351, so that’s fun. I don’t really understand how this works but the Mrs. says that she likely won’t get a complete refund for the value for Christ knows what reason. Fun fun fun.

:rip:

This is what I was personally afraid of as I've also had packages lost in transit shipped from overseas. That's why I ordered my 351P from Anbernic's official ebay storefront and my brother's 351V (his birthday gift!) from Amazon.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
If you ordered from alirxpress, its very easy to get full refund afer the delivery window expire.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Fairly recent re-review of the aging Retroid Pocket 2, misses some things that people have figured out in the past few months (like that there's no real reason to upgrade to the official 8, and there's a Lineage OS version of 8 now anyway) but overall it's one of those late reviews that puts things into perspective and is clear about the downsides and defects. Also weird praise of the PocketGo when it forever that button firing delay/buffer problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9U6LU0M23Tk

Looking back on the original Retroid Pocket (the one that looked like a gameboy): bad but ambitious

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iu5QBUGNE0k

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Aug 29, 2021

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Froist posted:

It's mentioned on the next release down the page; the "_new" build is for the ODroid Beta firmware (which includes this new Adam build). I don't know enough of the details to know why, but the beta firmware often needs a different opk file for many apps.

Thanks. So ODroid firmware includes Adam? Or is it the opposite? Is ODroid Android or something?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

The United States posted:

Was it shipping from China?

stephenthinkpad posted:

If you ordered from alirxpress, its very easy to get full refund afer the delivery window expire.

The Mrs. is Chinese so she ordered from Jingdo which is a competitor to taobao or whatever Alibaba’s ecom thing is. The usual process is to buy your stuff and have a dedicated shipping company get it into a storage container to be shipped over with a bunch of other stuff to save on cost. Then about a month later you drive a half hour to some rando’s house and get your box of whatever out of their garage/porch.

Seems the logistics company is/was moving warehouses so it either got shipped at the top of the month or it’s………somewhere. :iiam:

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

I dunno how much it works out to being in Chinese yuan through Jingdo, but all the Anbernic stuff is on Amazon with Prime for a similarish price compared to what they sell direct through them for

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Warbird posted:

The Mrs. is Chinese so she ordered from Jingdo which is a competitor to taobao or whatever Alibaba’s ecom thing is. The usual process is to buy your stuff and have a dedicated shipping company get it into a storage container to be shipped over with a bunch of other stuff to save on cost. Then about a month later you drive a half hour to some rando’s house and get your box of whatever out of their garage/porch.

Seems the logistics company is/was moving warehouses so it either got shipped at the top of the month or it’s………somewhere. :iiam:

That's why I don't buy from taobao or other Chinese websites. Many moons ago I used to ask my family in China buy stuff and mail them to me themselves. Later I figured the trouble is not worth the tiny saving from Aliexpress.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

LODGE NORTH posted:

I dunno how much it works out to being in Chinese yuan through Jingdo, but all the Anbernic stuff is on Amazon with Prime for a similarish price compared to what they sell direct through them for

She’s forever ordering stuff to be shipped over so the markup was enough that it made more sense to just lump it in with what she was getting anyway. If it doesn’t turn up before long I’ll take a look at the eBay store.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Warbird posted:

She’s forever ordering stuff to be shipped over so the markup was enough that it made more sense to just lump it in with what she was getting anyway. If it doesn’t turn up before long I’ll take a look at the eBay store.

For posterity :) https://www.ebay.com/str/anbernicofficialstore

But in retrospect, it's honestly better to order off Amazon since their return process is stupidly/hilariously accommodating lmao. I returned the original 351V I got for my brother because it had some bad backlight bleed and Amazon sent a UPS driver to pick it up and shipped me a new one next day all for free. All I had to do was just pack up the defective 351V unit, no label required, and hand it to the UPS driver.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

Thanks. So ODroid firmware includes Adam? Or is it the opposite? Is ODroid Android or something?

Sorry, I mistyped my “OD” abbreviations and made things more confusing. I meant to say “OpenDingux”, not ODroid. It’s not based on Android, just some custom Linux OS.

The OpenDingux “beta” firmware is the same base OS as the official firmware, just with newer kernel drivers that give slightly improved performance - the official firmware hasn’t been updated in years whereas there’s active development on ODBeta. I wouldn’t really call it beta stability wise, but it does lose some features (hot plug HDMI) and gain others (sleep mode).

Adam is a new preconfigured image to flash for many of the OpenDingux devices, wrapping up ODBeta, SimpleMenu and RetroArch to make things far more flash-and-play than installing everything yourself manually. But fundamentally it’s the same software.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN
As someone brand new to the third party console world I didn’t appreciate exactly how easy the 351 was to get up and running - given the amount of discussion here and guides available, not to mention having 351Elec fork of Emuelec that just works instantly.

The RGB10Max arrived and I grabbed Emuelec generic release and it didn’t work, i grabbed two more releases at random and same issue, I don’t know what I’m doing… I googled around and found some discussion of running Ark OS on the RGB10 so I installed that and it booted. I added some ROMs but half the emulators crashed on launch and I was reading up on adding emulators to it and downloading some stuff.

I took a break from that and did some more reading where I saw a comment like “RGB10 internals are essentially the same as an Odroid Advance” so I go back to EmuElec and grab the Odroid Advance EmuElec release and we’re up and running! Since much of it is the same as 351Elec I kind of know how the system works so setup is a breeze from there.

I’ve only played a few games, mostly to test everything is working and so far I love the bigger screen. It feels kind of weird with my hands so wide apart while playing but I’m sure I’ll get comfortable with that, there’s also no real extra weight feel given the extra size - it’s still comfortable to lay down on my bed and hold while playing it. The built in wifi with the hardware switch is nice but easy to forget to turn it off after scraping, of course I doubt that will be an ongoing issue unless I start playing around with retroachievements.

Ark OS does seem interesting and once I grab another sd card I plan have to play around with it but for now I just wanted it up and running so I can decide if I’m keeping the 351 or the RGB10 (and gifting the other one to a family member).

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Fairly recent re-review of the aging Retroid Pocket 2, misses some things that people have figured out in the past few months (like that there's no real reason to upgrade to the official 8, and there's a Lineage OS version of 8 now anyway) but overall it's one of those late reviews that puts things into perspective and is clear about the downsides and defects. Also weird praise of the PocketGo when it forever that button firing delay/buffer problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9U6LU0M23Tk

Looking back on the original Retroid Pocket (the one that looked like a gameboy): bad but ambitious

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iu5QBUGNE0k

eh i have an rp2 and it suits me fine. setting it up was a clunky nightmare and i essentially operate out of android os and launch apps as opposed to having a dedicated os launcher, but that’s the only downside

it was the first handheld retro console i’ve ever owned so i don’t have experience with any others but from what i’ve heard the performance is pretty good for what it is, especially at the price i got it at (80)

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Froist posted:

Sorry, I mistyped my “OD” abbreviations and made things more confusing. I meant to say “OpenDingux”, not ODroid. It’s not based on Android, just some custom Linux OS.

The OpenDingux “beta” firmware is the same base OS as the official firmware, just with newer kernel drivers that give slightly improved performance - the official firmware hasn’t been updated in years whereas there’s active development on ODBeta. I wouldn’t really call it beta stability wise, but it does lose some features (hot plug HDMI) and gain others (sleep mode).

Adam is a new preconfigured image to flash for many of the OpenDingux devices, wrapping up ODBeta, SimpleMenu and RetroArch to make things far more flash-and-play than installing everything yourself manually. But fundamentally it’s the same software.

Holy poo poo, there's finally sleep mode? Why doesn't Rogue have that feature?

What's the exact firmware I need to get for my 350 to get sleep mode working? I don't care about losing HDMI output.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

I unloaded my Retroid Pocket 2 on ebay some months back after being mildly disappointed with it. Got it last fall, realized how much of a faff it'd be to get everything set up, then barely used it till I felt motivated enough to make an ebay listing. I'm sure it's good for some use cases and the right user, but I don't have much free time that I'm willing to spend on janitoring a device, and that device takes a whole lot of janitoring.

Now if only my Analogue Pocket preorder would ever turn into an actual tangible extant real-world object, that would be nice.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Anyone know the best/least sketchy way to get an RG351P or RG351V in Canada? I'd prefer to use something like Amazon but all the one I can find are weird rebranded resellers like this:

https://www.amazon.ca/RG351P-Console-Handheld-Opensouce-Linux-Support/dp/B08K44L2L7

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Anyone know the best/least sketchy way to get an RG351P or RG351V in Canada? I'd prefer to use something like Amazon but all the one I can find are weird rebranded resellers like this:

https://www.amazon.ca/RG351P-Console-Handheld-Opensouce-Linux-Support/dp/B08K44L2L7

I don't think Anbernic has an official store on Amazon. I got a 351V from a reseller and even had to exchange it but had no issues. The official Anbernic store on Aliexpress is also susceptible to manufacture's defects except you have to play the waiting game with them since it's shipping overseas. Look for a store with a return policy or if it has Prime shipping because those tend to be more legit than one that doesn't offer it, in my experience of course, YMMV

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

That's how they all are in the US too. You'll get a real Anbernic RG device and maybe an SD card and a case or some such.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Wamdoodle posted:

I don't think Anbernic has an official store on Amazon. I got a 351V from a reseller and even had to exchange it but had no issues. The official Anbernic store on Aliexpress is also susceptible to manufacture's defects except you have to play the waiting game with them since it's shipping overseas. Look for a store with a return policy or if it has Prime shipping because those tend to be more legit than one that doesn't offer it, in my experience of course, YMMV

Looks like there's only the 351P available from a reseller with Prime so might just go for that. Couple reviews saying the battery was lot worse than expected but that could be a manufacturing defect I guess?

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Wamdoodle posted:

I got my 351V which came with a hard carrying case from a seller on AliExpress for $75. It came with tracked shipping, arrived in < 3 weeks, and works perfectly.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

Holy poo poo, there's finally sleep mode? Why doesn't Rogue have that feature?

What's the exact firmware I need to get for my 350 to get sleep mode working? I don't care about losing HDMI output.

The easiest way is installing the latest version of the Adam image (RetroGameCorps guide), or if you want to install everything manually rather than the prebuilt image you can use the latest OpenDingux Beta build from here. In either case you'll end up with basically the same build, Adam just bundles in SimpleMenu, RetroArch and the latest emulators to save you the manual setup. v1.1 of Adam is using the beta build from the 25th August (so pretty much the bleeding edge), whereas there are inevitably a few revisions since then on the true nightly beta releases.

Then it's Power + Y (hold power, tap Y, not the other way around) to enter sleep mode, and power to wake up again.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

I got my 351V which came with a hard carrying case from a seller on AliExpress for $75. It came with tracked shipping, arrived in < 3 weeks, and works perfectly.

great! once again ymmv. Go with whomever

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Looks like there's only the 351P available from a reseller with Prime so might just go for that. Couple reviews saying the battery was lot worse than expected but that could be a manufacturing defect I guess?

The main thing is the system doesn't have proper battery level reporting and tends to do weird things under 40% (as measured via voltage level in 351elec/ark). The actual battery life is pretty alright even with wifi on with the M.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN
I’m not sure about Canada specifically but Anbernic Aliexpress store has local stock in other countries, including United States. They do have multiple listings for each item so it takes some browsing through the store to find the right one.

I got mine through the Aliexpress store and it was sent from Sydney, Australia and delivered in days to Melbourne, Australia.

ANBERNIC Official Store

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Froist posted:

The easiest way is installing the latest version of the Adam image (RetroGameCorps guide), or if you want to install everything manually rather than the prebuilt image you can use the latest OpenDingux Beta build from here. In either case you'll end up with basically the same build, Adam just bundles in SimpleMenu, RetroArch and the latest emulators to save you the manual setup. v1.1 of Adam is using the beta build from the 25th August (so pretty much the bleeding edge), whereas there are inevitably a few revisions since then on the true nightly beta releases.

Then it's Power + Y (hold power, tap Y, not the other way around) to enter sleep mode, and power to wake up again.

You're the best. Thank you so much! Sleep mode is pretty much a no-brainer at this point. I know it's first world problems but it's so annoying that if you want to stop playing you have to save your current state, then exit the emulator, then go to the main menu, then go to the settings section, and then choose power off. I can't believe it took this long for sleep mode to get enabled but am really thankful it is!

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
GAME CHICKEN GAME CHICKEN GAME CHICKEN

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-XWqIitZKA

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

What a cool chicken

loopsheloop
Oct 22, 2010
Got a 351v off eBay after reading through this thread. Everyone says the screen looks nice, but wow, I wasn't expecting it to look THAT good.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

loopsheloop posted:

Got a 351v off eBay after reading through this thread. Everyone says the screen looks nice, but wow, I wasn't expecting it to look THAT good.
Yeah a 3.5" 640x480 screen is retina quality

Upcoming MIYOO P60 looks to beat the Odin to the punch

-4" widescreen, roughly the same size as the RG351p, 8 core MediaTek midrange phone SoC
-should be fast enough to do most Gamecube and PSP without upscaling

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-zh7ZL9G48

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhCeifQqLxg

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Just give me a 351V with more color options and I'll get another one.

Lemme see that atomic purple or GBC teal, you cowards.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I don't know why half of these things come in translucent plastic, but not purple

I had to dye this thing myself like a peasant

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Weird, feels like translucent purple is pretty common. Ash grey is obviously the default, but purple seems popular.

Also nice job, wow. I would not want to mess around with dying something translucent like that.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Slaminger has jumped back into the game with an update for TheRA for 351v: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FW4A4Np5HE, get it at techtoytinker.com. I have not tried it yet, probably won't be able to for a few days. Real curious about that 'Moonlight' page he scrolled right past.

(Edit: Actually it looks like TheRA's updates have only brought it closer in line with current ArkOS, I don't know if there's a particular reason to use his over that one at the moment.)

Also, for those using Android devices - what launcher do you use, and how much did it take to get set up? I've tried a few and they all felt very half-baked and tough to set up compared to emulationstation, but I'd really like to set something up on my Shield that's nicer to use than Retroarch's UI.

zzMisc fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Sep 4, 2021

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

flavor.flv posted:

I don't know why half of these things come in translucent plastic, but not purple

I had to dye this thing myself like a peasant

What is that?

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

PocketSprite, started out years ago as a project on hackaday, eventually made it to a kickstarter. Not sure if it still is, but at the time it was the smallest game console ever made

It's an esp23 chip, just powerful enough to run game boy, game gear and some nes, but the screen resolution is so small a lot of stuff is unplayable

https://pocketsprite.com

edit: and now looking at the site they have added an atomic purple option, completely undermining my point

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Since those overpriced PC-based retro consoles were making the news, Retro Game Corps gives some tips on rolling your own

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w75xzbkuvnw

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Since those overpriced PC-based retro consoles were making the news, Retro Game Corps gives some tips on rolling your own

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w75xzbkuvnw

Saw that vid yesterday. Convinced me to build a batocera PC around an old Celeron J1900 ITX board I have laying around. Fun little project :neckbeard: Hoping the embedded chip is enough for most arcade emulation.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

zzMisc posted:

Slaminger has jumped back into the game with an update for TheRA for 351v: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FW4A4Np5HE, get it at techtoytinker.com. I have not tried it yet, probably won't be able to for a few days. Real curious about that 'Moonlight' page he scrolled right past.

(Edit: Actually it looks like TheRA's updates have only brought it closer in line with current ArkOS, I don't know if there's a particular reason to use his over that one at the moment.)

Also, for those using Android devices - what launcher do you use, and how much did it take to get set up? I've tried a few and they all felt very half-baked and tough to set up compared to emulationstation, but I'd really like to set something up on my Shield that's nicer to use than Retroarch's UI.

There's ARC Browser which is like emulation station. It has built in scraping and is closer to Launchbox. You have to set it up all the emulators yourself. I haven't used it in a while though I just use Retroarch because fuk it:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.floatingpoint.android.arcturus&hl=en

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

I was actually pretty close to ordering a 351v because this thread loves it and I had a modded psp as an emulation handheld years ago and I'm missing it. Then in the process of researching I heard about this thing:

Seems to be the same form factor same screen but 6 buttons is great for genesis and fighting games and supposedly it can run psp and Dreamcast full speed, saw a video of the psp God of War running well which I guess is notoriously hard to emulate. There's various articles about it up that are all guessing it should be out within a month or 2 and around the same price as a 351v.

Anyone had experience with this company or input on this cause now I'm inclined to wait again?