Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I did like the idea that all the writing down of calculations we saw 12 doing through his first season was him going,"Hang on... I don't think that formula was quite complete...." and working out the last little overhanging aspects and one day going,"Oh poo poo I forgot to carry the 1!" and he dives back in to get it right this time :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

Jerusalem posted:

I did like the idea that all the writing down of calculations we saw 12 doing through his first season was him going,"Hang on... I don't think that formula was quite complete...." and working out the last little overhanging aspects and one day going,"Oh poo poo I forgot to carry the 1!" and he dives back in to get it right this time :allears:

In the book version, he's specifically there for disaster relief.

It's a fun book.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Hinchcliffe!! :argh:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1431272793686040580?s=20

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Snorb posted:

And Tom Baker's "Oh, if I were you... Maybe I was you! Or maybe you were me!"

This is one of the few parts I watch over and over and over again.
It's just perfect. So much emotion, perfect music, so much massive things ahead, so much not said, perfect writing.

Has this ever been expanded on in the audio books, comics, semaphore, zoetropes, etc that I don't follow?

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Aug 27, 2021

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

happyhippy posted:

This is one of the few parts I watch over and over and over again.
It's just perfect. So much emotion, perfect music, so much massive things ahead, so much not said, perfect writing.

Has this ever been expanded on in the audio books, comics, semaphore, zoetropes, etc that I don't follow?

Tom plays The Curator in the Eighth Doctor series "Stranded"

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

LividLiquid posted:

I was such a naďve little Whovian that I assumed we'd actually have The Doctor go hunting for Gallifrey after DotD.

Well, it was Tom who suggested it.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Smith's first season is up on Prime Video and I'm bored in lockdown doing a rewatch

gently caress me, how good is Time of Angels + Flesh & Stone? Particularly Flesh & Stone.

“Why are they making her count?”
“To make her afraid, sir.”
“Okay but why? What for?”
“For fun, sir.”

"I wish I had known you better"
"I think, sir, you know me at my best"

Seeing the Doctor turn back up in his jacket, and knowing what the reveal is :allears:

Man Season 5 was solid from start to finish. Maybe Vampires of Venice was the weakest one?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Infinitum posted:

Smith's first season is up on Prime Video and I'm bored in lockdown doing a rewatch

gently caress me, how good is Time of Angels + Flesh & Stone? Particularly Flesh & Stone.

“Why are they making her count?”
“To make her afraid, sir.”
“Okay but why? What for?”
“For fun, sir.”

"I wish I had known you better"
"I think, sir, you know me at my best"

Seeing the Doctor turn back up in his jacket, and knowing what the reveal is :allears:

Man Season 5 was solid from start to finish. Maybe Vampires of Venice was the weakest one?

The Hungry Earth/Cold Blood are the only episodes from season 5 I would classify as weak personally, I just dont like them at all. The good thing is, other than the first 5 minutes of The Hungry Earth and the last 5 of Cold Blood they are entirely skippable without missing anything from the seasons plot arc.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
Despite being the first to invent silly new rules about them, the Angels two-parter still owns hard. The Time of Angels' cliffhanger is right up there with Utopia, Bad Wolf, and World Enough and Time.

I really think Series 5 was the most consistently good the revival has ever been, up until Series 10. Moffat was firing on all cylinders back then.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Vampires of Venice is better than Time of Angels

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I'd agree with this, though I don't think the latter is bad.

Hungry Earth / Cold Blood are definitely bad stories. There's some really, really sloppy script work.

Not a fan of The Lodger either, though it's better than Closing Time.

I'd still put Season 1 above 5, but they're both very good.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Absolutely

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Hot Take:

Smith's entire first season is good to great.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Rhyno posted:

Hot Take:

Smith's entire first season is good to great.

Its the best season of modern who, no doubt in my mind. Most of it is great, some of it is only pretty good, but for me theres no getting away from the Siluran two parter being an absolute clunker, outside of the intro and outro (coincidently the two parts not written by Chibnal). But two stinkers (making one really lousy two parter) out of 13 episodes, all the rest being good to great? Thats a truly amazing strike rate, best season in nuwho hands down. Like I know a lot of posters here dont like moffat, but his first season bought him a lot of leeway with me.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Is there a better new Doctor debut than Eleven?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

SiKboy posted:

Its the best season of modern who, no doubt in my mind. Most of it is great, some of it is only pretty good, but for me theres no getting away from the Siluran two parter being an absolute clunker, outside of the intro and outro (coincidently the two parts not written by Chibnal).

Pretty sure Moffat wrote more than that -- there are some parts in the second half that absolutely came from him and not Chibnall, e.g. the voice over in the second episode.

I suspect Moffat was doing a lot of rewriting on that episode, which might account for the utterly random "I quite adore you [CHILD VIVISECTIONIST SILURIAN]".

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

One thing I love about that angel 2 parter is sitting there being grumpy because the Doctor said the inhabitants of this planet had two heads but all the statues only have one what a stupid mistake to make :argh: and then of course one of the characters says,"Hey didn't you say the inhabitants of this planet had two heads?" and :vince:

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Well Manicured Man posted:

I really think Series 5 was the most consistently good the revival has ever been, up until Series 10. Moffat was firing on all cylinders back then.
A lot of bands have a terrible second album if they have a banger of a debut effort, and it makes perfect sense when you think about it. You toil in obscurity for years before you get your big break, so you have all that time to develop your music and workshopping it at shows, so when your break comes, you have an album's worth of polished material. If that's a big hit your label wants a quick turnaround to strike while the iron's hot, so you wind up with all your B material and some hastily-written stuff.

Series 5 was Moffat's first album and it's actually pretty remarkable that series 6 was as good as it is and entirely unsurprising that series 7 was so absolutely uneven.

Rhyno posted:

No, and it's not close in my opinion.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

If we count classic Doctors, I think Tom Baker's first story is pretty fun as a debut/showcase if only because it feels like a Pertwee story that happens to have an entirely different type of Doctor in it. Which is appropriate, of course, because it's showcasing that things have changed and aren't going to be the way they used to be.

But yes, the Eleventh Doctor's first story is the best debut regardless of classic or modern Who.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Well Manicured Man posted:

Despite being the first to invent silly new rules about them, the Angels two-parter still owns hard.

Not sure whether or not this is a hot take, but I think the new rules in the two-parter are the better rules of the set. "Ideas that can think for themselves" seems like the natural trait of creatures that don't exist when you're looking at them. Sending someone back in time and feeding off the potential energy of the life they didn't live is also a neat trait, and Blink is a structural masterpiece, but "the idea of an Angel becomes an Angel" is so much better thematically.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Series five had the Doctor being all pally with Winston "the Indians are beastly people who breed like rabbits so the Bengal famine had to happen" Churchill so, y'know

Rhyno posted:

An Unearthly Child (part 1 in particular) is a pretty good piece of television

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Honestly, while it starts with a bang and has a few great episodes likce Vincent and the Doctor, I have a far lower opinion of season 5 than most of this thread. It just... feels mediocre? I guess you could say it feels... Chibnall. And the ending is just not very good.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Open Source Idiom posted:

Hungry Earth / Cold Blood are definitely bad stories. There's some really, really sloppy script work.

They loving suck.

The original Silurian story does a much better job of selling a large-scale drilling project than The Hungry Earth / Cold Blood, where there are a handful of people because it's the loving weekend.

The part in the second episode where someone with no expertise, authority or responsibility negotiates away vast sections of the Earth loving shits me. It's worse because they just casually suggest that the outback of Australia is uninhabited despite people living there, and despite those people being continually shat on by decision makers operating under a policy that the Australia doesn't have any inhabitants whose views matter.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

Doctor Spaceman posted:

They loving suck.

The original Silurian story does a much better job of selling a large-scale drilling project than The Hungry Earth / Cold Blood, where there are a handful of people because it's the loving weekend.

The part in the second episode where someone with no expertise, authority or responsibility negotiates away vast sections of the Earth loving shits me. It's worse because they just casually suggest that the outback of Australia is uninhabited despite people living there, and despite those people being continually shat on by decision makers operating under a policy that the Australia doesn't have any inhabitants whose views matter.
Don't forget the end of that episode, when they decide that a family will proclaim to the world that the lizard people will arrive in a thousand years' time. Because that definitely won't look like a weird cult with anti-semitic tendencies.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
The Silurians are one of those monsters that were only good in their first story. That they went from "weird and scary parallel-evolution reptilian humanoids" to "sexy wisecracking lizard ninjas" in just four major appearances was pure :ughh:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Rhyno posted:

One, Two, Three, Nine

Jerusalem posted:

If we count classic Doctors, I think Tom Baker's first story is pretty fun as a debut/showcase if only because it feels like a Pertwee story that happens to have an entirely different type of Doctor in it. Which is appropriate, of course, because it's showcasing that things have changed and aren't going to be the way they used to be.

But yes, the Eleventh Doctor's first story is the best debut regardless of classic or modern Who.

POwer????

Doctor Spaceman posted:

There is no large scale drilling project in The Silurians. Are you thinking of Inferno?

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
Doctor debut stories that are very bad:
Twin Dilemma, Time and the Rani (haven't watched this in ages though, it might be secretly good like a lot of Season 24), Christmas Invasion, Deep Breath

Doctor debut stories that aren't great but do what they need to do:
Robot, TV Movie

Doctor debut stories that are very good and work great as an introduction to the show:
An Unearthly Child, Spearhead from Space, Rose, Eleventh Hour, Woman Who Fell to Earth (haven't rewatched this either, I remember liking it when it aired but I don't know if it holds up)

Doctor debut stories that are brilliant but that I would absolutely never recommend as an introduction to the show:
Power of the Daleks, Castrovalva

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

MrL_JaKiri posted:

There is no large scale drilling project in The Silurians. Are you thinking of Inferno?
Yeah, I got the underground nuclear reactor confused with the drilling project.

Overall point still stands though; Wenley Moor is a hive of activity while the drillsite feels empty for a project of that scale.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Extremely not hot take- Moffat's first and last series are the best series of the revival, but they have a few weaker episodes.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

marktheando posted:

Extremely not hot take- Moffat's first and last series are the best series of the revival, but they have a few weaker episodes.

:hmmyes:

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

One thing i always remember fondly about season 5 was the absolutely ugly painting in the lodger, and how sure this thread was that it had to be relevent because it was so ugly

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Whichever season of NuWho it was that had James Corden appearing in episode(s) during it, automatically wins "worst season" by default

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Whichever season of NuWho it was that had James Corden appearing in episode(s) during it, automatically wins "worst season" by default

5 and 6B.

Corden was tolerable though, continuing the trend of annoying comedians being actually good in Who.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I don't know, almost none of us have actually seen it, you got a copy?

Guys don't remind JaKiri about the audio or the animated reconstruction, if we play our cards right we'll get the original broadcast out of this! ...oh, uhhh... JaKiri don't read this bit!

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

One thing i always remember fondly about season 5 was the absolutely ugly painting in the lodger, and how sure this thread was that it had to be relevent because it was so ugly

Nick Cave is one of those guys who I could see just being in an episode of Doctor Who without the characters ever drawing attention to/recognizing him and it would just feel appropriate somehow.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

I don't know, almost none of us have actually seen it, you got a copy?

Guys don't remind JaKiri about the audio or the animated reconstruction, if we play our cards right we'll get the original broadcast out of this! ...oh, uhhh... JaKiri don't read this bit!

The animated recon is pretty good even if you miss out a lot of Troughton's physical acting. The dalek factory sequence is amazing.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

One thing i always remember fondly about season 5 was the absolutely ugly painting in the lodger, and how sure this thread was that it had to be relevant because it was so ugly

That was great. Especially because it's the season when the Doctor went back to Amy when she was blind without his coat on (or not his coat on... I don't rememer) and it was clearly NOT a production mistake and a LOT of people were getting mad when we pointed it out. I remember a few "ok we will wait and see" little huffs in the thread. Then we got to that painting which obviously was just a poo poo painting in the background and people flipped a lid trying to figure out nothing.

Good times. Can we just fast forward through time to the next show runner and doctor? I really don't care enough to wait for a season and a few specials. I'd take a reboot now. BBC should just make new episodes and can Chibnall's stuff. Maybe release it on a streaming platform like when Nickelodeon killed Korra.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Doctor Who is never debuting new episodes outside of BBC One on a weekly basis.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

From Radio Times:

quote:

Writing in the latest issue of Doctor Who Magazine, Chibnall said: “The big change that happened during our tenure has been Doctor Who being produced through BBC Studios, rather than the BBC’s in-house Drama Department.

“It’s a difference which won’t really have affected how you view the show, but it affects the process by which the programme is made, managed and planned strategically.

“The appointment of a new showrunner is a commercially sensitive decision (way above the pay grade of an incumbent showrunner) so it’ll be a joint decision between BBC Studios and the top decision-makers at the BBC.”​

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

That reads like they want a Name running it?