Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

Koivunen posted:

There are forest fires by us that are turning the air into hella smoke, so is recommended to close your windows and run an air filter and don’t go outside unless you have to. Despite this it still smells like a bbq pit inside. ]

By 9:30am my toddler had already tipped over the shoe rack, dumped all her blocks out on the floor, had two meltdowns about not wanting to put on clothes, and had pooped on the piano stool. She was also non stop yelling and crying for me to help her jump on the couch, while I haven’t been able to put the baby down all morning because he immediately wakes up and starts crying… Aaaaaaaahhhh only nine more hours until I can start bath time. Plus I’ve got a headache from all this smoke.

E: Now having the “I WANT TO GO TO SLEEP IN MY BED” and instantly when I put her there to nap she’s screaming and sobbing “I DON’T WANT TO GO TO SLEEP.” Full meltdown mode.

Towels under doors, tape around windows, and try to get an air purifier if you can. Good ones that do more filtering and cover larger spaces are a good investment if you live in what is now going to be routine wildfire country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Dobbs_Head posted:

The bad outcome for co-sleeping is SIDs, which is VERY BAD. But, the increased odds for SIDs due to just co-sleeping versus on back in a crib is very small. The medical community is extremely conservative to the point of giving unhelpful advice around small risks.
Pediatricians have a bias because they see the outcome of SIDS. So, statistically, whether you follow safe-sleep or not your child "will" be fine, but for pediatricians the more they advocate for safe sleep as a community the less incidents they see of SIDS. I don't think that's really conservatism that's concern for their patients and public health.

Dobbs_Head posted:

If your baby won’t sleep by themselves, co-sleeping is a reasonable option.
Co-sleeping is fine until it's suddenly not fine, so risk reduction is the key. If you're going to co-sleep at all (which, honestly sometimes babies have sleepless nights and it's inevitable) the best way to reduce risk is to do it sparingly and avoid dependence. Sure, make sure you're able to get sleep for yourself first, then figure out what you can do for your baby after that.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I think we started just plopping the baby in bed with us around 10 months and it continues now six months later. But I think I'm fed up with it, and we are gonna attempt to put her crib in her own room this weekend.

My wife and I have been hiding in the guest bedroom because usually she wakes up when we come to bed and that's what gets her in the bed with us, and when we don't go into our bedroom we have nights like last night, where she slept 11.5 hours in her crib.

Sipher
Jan 14, 2008
Cryptic
18 month old started daycare on Tuesday. Came home with a runny nose yesterday, then a bit of a fever last night. Fever has gone down since last night, but have to get a covid test before he can go back.

Figured he'd pick up something from daycare but didn't expect it to be this fast.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Sipher posted:

18 month old started daycare on Tuesday. Came home with a runny nose yesterday, then a bit of a fever last night. Fever has gone down since last night, but have to get a covid test before he can go back.

Figured he'd pick up something from daycare but didn't expect it to be this fast.

Not only is it fast, but it's constant.

I think our oldest caught RSV within the first 2-3 weeks of starting day care.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
Re: cosleeping. With my first I never, ever coslept with her until she was over a year old and I would fall sleep nursing her in bed.

With my second, initially he would only sleep on my chest or in the rock and play, both of which are YIKES according to some sources. Now he will sleep in his crib on his side until about 3-4am, then we cosleep with him on my chest. I have my arms propped on both sides with my pregnancy pillow and I keep my hands on top of him. Even his slightest movements wake me up, so I’m not getting quality sleep, but it’s better than none at all.

I barely slept for the first few months with my first, and mentally and emotionally suffered for it. If I had been less scared of cosleeping maybe things would have been easier.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Adding my positive experience with co-sleeping to the anecdotal mix. We did not co-sleep with our daughter at first, but after 4 months of insufferably horrible sleep, we decided to co-sleep. It was a life changer for us. We were getting better sleep. She was getting better sleep. And we could function properly during the day again.

So when our son was born, we co-slept on Day 1, and it was wonderful. The difference for how we felt in the first 4 months of our son's and daughter's lives can be mostly (or partially) attributed to co-sleeping. Lack of sleep is awful for everyone involved.

We co-slept until they were 15 months, then transitioned them to cribs in our room, and then moved the cribs to their own room pretty quickly after.

I'm not a doctor; we took precautions; we don't drink or smoke; we're not obese; we're relatively light sleepers; we researched and weighed the risks; etc.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

hallo spacedog posted:

Did you wait until a certain time to start or was it basically from day 1?

I didn't go into it with that plan - but from the beginning it was clear the baby slept a lot better when in contact with an adult. Like, starkly clear. After a couple weeks of awful sleep we figured out the recommendations for doing it safely and tried it. It was night and day on my ability to get rest!

The tipping point was with me and my husband trading off night wakeups we were both so tired it seemed far more likely we'd wreck a car and that risk is much larger than the increased cosleeping risk.

cailleask fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Aug 27, 2021

Dobbs_Head
May 8, 2008

nano nano nano

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Pediatricians have a bias because they see the outcome of SIDS… I don't think that's really conservatism that's concern for their patients and public health.

I think we basically agree, I’m just hashing hairs here.

The unhelpful conservatism I’ve encountered follows this pattern. A parent comes to a pediatrician and says “my baby just isn’t sleeping, I’m a wreck. What should I do? Can I co-sleep”

If the answer is, “No! That’s dangerous, tough it out.” That is an extremely conservative position w/r/t co-sleeping and is unwarranted IMO. A big group of pediatricians fall in this camp, and it is the AAP’s official position.

An alternative could be, “ok, that can be done more or less safely. Here is how to do it best, and how to assess safety based on risk factors.”

Target audience is an issue in this discussion. The AAP target includes people that might put juice into baby bottles. A more nuanced approach requires greater literacy and critical thinking skills to be useful.

But I’m an individual, not a population. I expect my pediatrician to consider that when giving advice.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Dobbs_Head posted:

An alternative could be, “ok, that can be done more or less safely. Here is how to do it best, and how to assess safety based on risk factors.”
Pediatricians are in a bind giving medical advice that goes against consensus/AAP recommendations, even if they otherwise sympathize with your immediate situation. Say they gave you the "more or less safely" advice and your child--God forbid--dies of SIDS. Is that a malpractice suit waiting to happen?

Now, say a parent goes to the pediatrician and is already co-sleeping with no intention to stop, but looking for some risk reduction advice? I don't know how that works. But to be honest, when it comes to most primary care:

Dobbs_Head posted:

Target audience is an issue in this discussion. The AAP target includes people that might put juice into baby bottles. A more nuanced approach requires greater literacy and critical thinking skills to be useful.
By-the-numbers most people who admit they co-sleep to their child's pediatrician are simply unaware of SIDS risks, or may vaguely be aware of them but don't believe it type stuff. The kind of people who are looking at it from a risk reduction perspective already have the tools to make informed decisions about it.

Dobbs_Head posted:

But I’m an individual, not a population. I expect my pediatrician to consider that when giving advice.
Honestly, some pediatricians are better at this than others.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Aug 27, 2021

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

My baby would only sleep on or next to me at first. We started out both sleeping on the couch, which I know we shouldn’t have done, but it was the only way for us to both sleep cause she wouldn’t stay asleep in her bassinet. I eventually moved us to a low bed in the basement and followed the safe sleep 7 to the best of my ability. Then I started putting her in the bassinet next to the bed, then I brought the bassinet upstairs to our bedroom, and eventually I got her sleeping in her crib in her room by around 3-4 months old. I slept on the floor next to her crib until she was over 8 months old. Our paediatrician was really understanding and understood that I needed to be able to sleep as well and just advised us on how to do it as safely as possible.

We’re just now getting occasional 11-12 hour sleep stretches and fewer night wake ups at 10 months. Though last night she decided she didn’t want to go back to sleep for an hour and 45 minutes when she woke up at 1am.

We went to a family resource centre event at the park this morning and Liddy got to see some kids a bit older than her. We made a bird feeder, had some goldfish crackers and got covered in powdered Cheerios. Came home and put her down for a nap where she’s been sleeping for over an hour and a half. I’m sure she’ll wake up any minute now.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Why does my 18 month old girl insist on ripping her clothes and diaper off any time we are not 100% paying attention to her? I am keeping her in a footed zip-up onesie pretty much all day because that's the only thing that will keep her diaper on.

I hope this is just a short phase.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Mind_Taker posted:

Why does my 18 month old girl insist on ripping her clothes and diaper off any time we are not 100% paying attention to her? I am keeping her in a footed zip-up onesie pretty much all day because that's the only thing that will keep her diaper on.

I hope this is just a short phase.

A signal to start potty training, perhaps? :haw:

nwin posted:

gently caress. Today was day one of my son running around naked. So you’re saying it doesn’t get easier?

It definitely does. Most kids don't have that kind of potty regression so it's not something I would worry about.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Well our daughter’s infant room at daycare has had a Covid exposure and now she must quarantine until Friday. This is the week after she narrowly missed an exposure and got to move over to this other room temporarily…this other room has now had the exposure so zero infants can be in that daycare right now but we all must still pay. gently caress my life.

The poo poo of it is, I blame people who can’t loving take it seriously. Anti-vaxxers and anti-maskers can suck poo poo, because while they are refusing to be inconvenienced even a little bit, they are helping this stupid pandemic hang on so it can infect more people and evolve, thereby making everyone else who does take it seriously rearrange their lives to take care of their kids and try to make money enough to pay the bills. FFS

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Any theories on our 10 week old suddenly hating baths for the first time? It was a really enjoyable experience for everyone until this week. Twice now we get him in the tub (temp around 100 as always) and start our routine.

But a couple minutes in he loses his God drat mind and screams like I've never heard him. We wrapped it up quick and he's fine now getting dried off and cuddled, but drat it's shocking us how much of a turn he's done.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Kingtheninja posted:

Any theories on our 10 week old suddenly hating baths for the first time? It was a really enjoyable experience for everyone until this week. Twice now we get him in the tub (temp around 100 as always) and start our routine.

But a couple minutes in he loses his God drat mind and screams like I've never heard him. We wrapped it up quick and he's fine now getting dried off and cuddled, but drat it's shocking us how much of a turn he's done.

Our kid would get freaked out by farting in the bath when the bubbles suddenly appeared from nowhere. Could that be it?

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
My kid started out hating baths but loving being dried off. Then around 3 months it flipped because ??? and then around 13 months flipped again because ??? and now at almost 15 months it just flipped again the other day.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Tom Smykowski posted:

My kid started out hating.Then around 3 months it flipped because ??? and then around 13 months flipped again because ??? and now at almost 15 months it just flipped again the other day.

Parenting_Megathread.txt

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Hadlock posted:

Parenting_Megathread.txt

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour

Kingtheninja posted:

I feel like most kids go through cycles where baths are either good or torture, and it switches back and forth for no reason.

Hang in there, it’s likely just a phase.

My 2 yo daughter is in love with the movie “Vivo” on Netflix if anyone is looking for something to watch. She also blew my mind, there’s a scene where it’s implied that a girl’s father died a while ago, and my daughter said “She’s sad, she lost her dad.” How do you understand that, you were just a baby like yesterday.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Fantastic: getting handed a chance to take a nap after staying up with a sick baby

The Worst: not being able to fall asleep because you’re too wired from trying to stay awake

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

nwin posted:

Blippi.

You know the hosed up thing? My sister in law bought two tickets to his musical that the fake blippi does here in September. And she refuses to go and says me or his mom should take him because it’d be a nice time.

gently caress.me…and her honestly.

there's a fake blippi?

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Kingtheninja posted:

I think ours did that. Our pediatrician said "Well they either like something or they loving HATE HATE HATE it and there is no in between so who can say really". She got through it within a week or two.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

TV Zombie posted:

there's a fake blippi?

Yeah-he’s the one that does the Broadway show I guess and recently he’s been doing some of the YouTube videos. I dunno if the real blippi is trying to transition out or what.

And now I just had a discussion on blippis career…

Good thing with the delta variant-we aren’t taking him to the concert-gently caress that noise.

Edit: my infant has decided to start his 4-month sleep regression a week early while we potty train our toddler, my vasectomy is scheduled for this week, and our toddler starts preschool next week. loving awesome!

Toddlers making some decent strides today with potty training though-saying he has to go. I’m really proud of him and it makes it all kinda worth it.

Edit2: pretty sure our son is trolling us. He just made it through the night without even wetting his diaper, though he still screams he doesn’t want to pee on the potty and just peed like he drank a gallon.

nwin fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Aug 29, 2021

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Well our daughter has been in kindergarten all of two weeks, had a short afterschool playdate and a longer one yesterday. After the playdate she was moody as all hell and took a nap on the floor, only to wake up with a fever.

The instant read aural themometer had her at like 102 in one ear, 101 in the other. Gave her some tylenol and got her to bed while we made an urgent care appointment for a covid test. Woke up this morning, 99 in one ear 100 in the other. She's relaxing on the couch sipping water and watching muppet babies atm.

Seems the kid she played with yesterday went home and threw up but is otherwise okay.

The gently caress is going on? Have i just forgotten how big of a plague pit school and the like is after keeping the kid home for over a year?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

citybeatnik posted:

Have i just forgotten how big of a plague pit school and the like is after keeping the kid home for over a year?

Yes

I also have a theory that all the kids are getting the past year of sicknesses all at once.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

My baby came down with her first ever fever yesterday. She started throwing up her bottles as well. Tylenol seemed to help her for a few hours, but she spiked back up at bedtime. She eventually managed to get a good 7 hour stretch of sleep in and seemed to feel better this morning. She’s running a little warm, but not quite a fever anymore.

Not sure what she picked up or where. We went to the park a couple days ago for an activity with a family resource centre. There were only 2 other kids there and she didn’t touch them. We also briefly went into a Walmart, a drug store, a Tim Horton’s and a 7/11. Those are the only places we’ve been in the week prior to her getting sick.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
There are just so many colds going around right now, and they spread by touching surfaces then your face. If your baby touched anything, or if you touched anything then your baby, that's how you got it in all likelihood. We got a cold a few months ago when my wife took the toddler to play alone in a park playground.

Yeah it's crazy. My one year old is finally better and I'm finally putting her back in daycare after she recovered from her last cold, but I expect she'll be back home sick by the end of the week. All I can say is, it's never been covid so far, and it's definitely giving their immune systems a workout.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

my toddler put her hand in her mouth then put that hand in my mouth and now i have hand foot and mouth

Squats
Nov 4, 2009

Thanks for all the suggestions on Pack n' Plays an other sleeping options!

sheri posted:

Squats, can you take the car seat on the plane with you since he has his own seat? I don't know if the CARES harness is going to contain him at all-- u less he's a huge 17 month old he's likely going to slip right out of it.

You're right, he'd probably be too small for it. On closer inspection the harness doesn't have anything to prevent him from trying to wriggle out the bottom and getting his head stuck. Decided to get a slimmer carseat for the plane instead, which we can then use in one of the grandparents' cars when we get get there anyway.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

For the past few weeks my baby has been really fussy while breastfeeding. She will eat a few seconds, then pull off to scream or cry, then try to eat again, and repeat over and over. Has anyone dealt with this? It feels like it's getting worse. She's just shy of 15 weeks.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?

BadSamaritan posted:

my toddler put her hand in her mouth then put that hand in my mouth and now i have hand foot and mouth
As I was reading this my kid ran up and shoved his fingers in my mouth :am:

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour

hallo spacedog posted:

For the past few weeks my baby has been really fussy while breastfeeding. She will eat a few seconds, then pull off to scream or cry, then try to eat again, and repeat over and over. Has anyone dealt with this? It feels like it's getting worse. She's just shy of 15 weeks.

Can you feel your letdown? Is there milk coming out when she pulls off? You could have letdown that is too fast (she can’t swallow fast enough so pulls off and cries), or letdown that takes a while to happen (she is frustrated that it’s not coming fast enough). Does she eventually latch and nurse?

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Koivunen posted:

Can you feel your letdown? Is there milk coming out when she pulls off? You could have letdown that is too fast (she can’t swallow fast enough so pulls off and cries), or letdown that takes a while to happen (she is frustrated that it’s not coming fast enough). Does she eventually latch and nurse?

I don't always feel letdown when I nurse, only occasionally. It keeps going like that and usually she wont get a good long latch if she is that fussy. The head of my LLL chapter suggested teething might be a possibility.

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!

hallo spacedog posted:

I don't always feel letdown when I nurse, only occasionally. It keeps going like that and usually she wont get a good long latch if she is that fussy. The head of my LLL chapter suggested teething might be a possibility.

Mine went through a phase at 3-4 months where she pulled off repeatedly and cried, and it passed after around a month I think. Some days were better, some days were worse. Could be any number of things, behavioural or developmental.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

femcastra posted:

Mine went through a phase at 3-4 months where she pulled off repeatedly and cried, and it passed after around a month I think. Some days were better, some days were worse. Could be any number of things, behavioural or developmental.

That's so strange. It sounds exactly like what ours is doing. Glad to hear it ended eventually for you and hoping it does for ours too. It sounds like you never figured out exactly why either.

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!

hallo spacedog posted:

That's so strange. It sounds exactly like what ours is doing. Glad to hear it ended eventually for you and hoping it does for ours too. It sounds like you never figured out exactly why either.

Yeah it was pretty awful at the time tho, I was very hormonal and emotional because of my hormonal bc so everything that went wrong felt exponentially worse. I would cry a lot. Persisted and occasionally supplemented with breastmilk in a bottle or formula, but eventually it was back to normal.

Now she’s 14 months old and loves the boobs. It’s a bummer she’s got three molars coming through at the same time because my poor nipples are being savaged.

1up
Jan 4, 2005

5-up

Squats posted:

Thanks for all the suggestions on Pack n' Plays an other sleeping options!

You're right, he'd probably be too small for it. On closer inspection the harness doesn't have anything to prevent him from trying to wriggle out the bottom and getting his head stuck. Decided to get a slimmer carseat for the plane instead, which we can then use in one of the grandparents' cars when we get get there anyway.

I highly recommend a Cosco Scenera Next for travel purposes. It's super light, easy to install, and you can strap it to a car seat trolly to wheel it about the airport.

Dirty Needles
Jul 3, 2008

BadSamaritan posted:

Urgh you have my sympathies, my oldest gave me it last year and I felt like hot garbage and the horrible skin falling off part of it is not fun at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
We had a traditional event here where I live last weekend, without getting into specifics it involves fireworks and we shot some too for the kids sake. Well one of the twins watched with his grandma and noticed that used fireworks where dropping into the sea and nature and commented "Look they're polluting the sea, isn't this thing unneccesary?"

Very bright, very focused on nature he is. I remember a few years ago he used to hug trees after preschool. And earlier he told me not to clear the brush in the ditch because the bumblebees needed the flowers.