Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

We're having our basement finished. I wanted to pre-install tubing for cables/wires in the walls so if in the future I wanted to run cables for some reason it should be easy. Is this a dumb idea? Anyone seen something like this before?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

downout posted:

We're having our basement finished. I wanted to pre-install tubing for cables/wires in the walls so if in the future I wanted to run cables for some reason it should be easy. Is this a dumb idea? Anyone seen something like this before?

It's called conduit and it's exceptionally common in professional installs.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

downout posted:

Running conduit when a wall is open is pretty standard. Tie a few strings to something fluffy and pull them through the conduit with a vacuum while you're at it. Then you can just pull your cables through later.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

downout posted:

It's a great idea, but since you're running the conduit anyway, you should also install at least 1 cable, whether that's ethernet or coax or something else. That gives you something to wrap your pull string around, which is also something you should have to make future runs easier.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

armorer posted:

Running conduit when a wall is open is pretty standard. Tie a few strings to something fluffy and pull them through the conduit with a vacuum while you're at it. Then you can just pull your cables through later.

I like this idea.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Could just fill each conduit with fishhook/string/etc. and run it with plenty of slack between the wall plates too.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

BigFactory posted:

I replaced my ugly old kitchen faucet a few weeks ago with a new one that instead of having 2 faucets and a separate sprayer it has one lever thing and the sprayer is built in, so there’s an extra hole for a soap dispenser thing. but we don’t use liquid soap so it was just sitting there empty until I got the idea to fill it up with the cheapest vodka I could find. now I can use that for disinfecting stuff or topping off drinks. I think it’s a good solution. Would recommend.

Get a second sprayer for when you discover the faucet with the built in sprayer is annoying as hell

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

nm posted:

Get a second sprayer for when you discover the faucet with the built in sprayer is annoying as hell

How would that shoot out vodka?

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

QuarkJets posted:

Almost every outlet in our house has a cover with a super gaudy metallic design, would anyone actually buy these things or should they go straight in the trash?

While shopping for replacements I saw an outlet cover that has a $30 MSRP lol
Idk how serious the trash comment was but always always just create a donate pile and go to Habitat ReStore on occasion, they're great.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

armorer posted:

And also pull more string through when you do so when the cables you ran are out of date you can pull something more useful. It's called Mule tape.

Also yes you could use one of your old cables but usually best option is this. Also don't do a bunch of angles, keep it as straight as you can.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

BigFactory posted:

How would that shoot out vodka?

Wait, you mean some houses don't have hot and cold running vodka?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Why would you even want hot vodka?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Hard to set your drink on fire without it?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

QuarkJets posted:

It's a great idea, but since you're running the conduit anyway, you should also install at least 1 cable, whether that's ethernet or coax or something else. That gives you something to wrap your pull string around, which is also something you should have to make future runs easier.

I'm not sure why this would matter, but maybe it's because I've pulled a lot of cable/conduit in my time and have the technique down.

When conduit is completely empty it's both easier to fish and easier to get a pull string into. You just install it, taking the same care to make sure there aren't any hard bends that are inaccessible. Then when you want to fish it later you tie your pull cord to a piece of plastic bag and jam it in one side of the conduit. Put a shop vac on the other side and it will pull through. This works with anything from 1/2" flexible conduit to probably just about any size, but the largest I've done is 4" (and a LOT of 4" at that).

Now that your pull cord is through you fish your first cable(s) along with two more pull cords. Pull them through with the cord you just put in.

Subsequent pulls should include another cord so that there are always at least two in the conduit.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Aug 30, 2021

falz
Jan 29, 2005

falz posted:

Hey kids I'm going to remodel a bathroom this winter. I'm going to leave all plumbing where it currently is, but replace the 'builder grade' one piece shower/tub combo with a dedicated shower. This is upstairs, there's a tub on main level so that should be fine for old people or whatever.

Anyhow, my reason for this is my last place had a dedicated shower and it was great, mainly because it's wider. So I'm thinking something at least 32" wide (current tub is 29") and probably slightly longer, like 42" or something which seems common.

I think I'd only put curtain or glass in it facing the main area of the bathroom, so i'm pondering what to do with the area in the lower right of this, which is "below" the stall in the 2nd photo.

First thing that comes to mind is to sorta build a wall there, but with a closet and deep shelves as a linen closet.

Other thoughts? Also I haven't given any thoughts on sink / toilet yet other than they will stay in the same spots, cVanity will obviously gtfo though.

Current Layout:

And a photo (from the listing two years ago, sorry it's poo poo)

Sorta maybe new layout:

Harkening back to this. After further consideration, the full width of room (60") shower base seems most plausable because

1) I don't want a custom tiled pan due to $ and effort
2) 'square' bases (36"x36" for eaxmple) all seem to have center drain
3) It would probably look weird, as folks noted.

I'll start by just assuming that that end of bathroom is still all shower, but slightly wider (32 or 34") and work on a design from there, figuring out some other solution for towel storage.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Oooo got my annual water quality thing. Curious what peoples thoughts are on a whole home water softeners/filters/whatever given these parameters. I'm just including things that are near "hardness" since I don't know what matters and what doesn't. Our water definitely tastes better through a basic charcoal filter (brita/LG in fridge filter), and our tankless water heater prefilter definitely gets disgusting in a year. We get a decent amount of scale build up in showers and such but overall water does things like lather soap and rinse off cleanly, unlike in Midland, TX where you just sort of always felt "slick." I don't really have a problem statement. :v:

Total Dissolved Solids (mg/L) 290
Alkalinity (mg/L) 150
Calcium (mg/L) 60
Hardness (CaCO3, mg/L) 190
Hardness (CaCO3, grains/gal) 11 (Isn't this the same as above just converted to something water softener sales people understand?)
Magnesium (mg/L) 11
pH 8.0
Potassium (mg/L) 1.8
Sodium (mg/L) 22

And because it makes me laugh that nutjobs love cavities: :siren: Fluoride (mg/L) 0.33 :siren:

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I am very much pro water softener. I use a ton less cleaning products, and things are much easier to clean without all the scale buildup.

Our hardness varies from 170 to 340 mg/L. Depends on where the water is being pulled from. We have surface water, and water being pulled from limestone aquifers in my area.

Pretty much everyone has one here in the San Antonio area, and most newer houses come pre-plumbed for one.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

QuarkJets posted:

Yeah we have a mantle but it's also a 65" TV, that'd be a pretty big angle from eye level to TV center even in this largish room. I guess if we were in recliners that could be fine, but we have a couch and a somewhat normal chair

My folks have one of these (https://www.mantelmount.com/) over their fireplace and it does a good job of getting the TV in a better viewing position, at least whenever you aren't actively using the fireplace. I believe the handle below the TV also has a heat sensitive rubber on it that changes color if it gets too hot as an indicator something is hosed up with your draft or something.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

H110Hawk posted:

Oooo got my annual water quality thing. Curious what peoples thoughts are on a whole home water softeners/filters/whatever given these parameters. I'm just including things that are near "hardness" since I don't know what matters and what doesn't. Our water definitely tastes better through a basic charcoal filter (brita/LG in fridge filter), and our tankless water heater prefilter definitely gets disgusting in a year. We get a decent amount of scale build up in showers and such but overall water does things like lather soap and rinse off cleanly, unlike in Midland, TX where you just sort of always felt "slick." I don't really have a problem statement. :v:

Total Dissolved Solids (mg/L) 290
Alkalinity (mg/L) 150
Calcium (mg/L) 60
Hardness (CaCO3, mg/L) 190
Hardness (CaCO3, grains/gal) 11 (Isn't this the same as above just converted to something water softener sales people understand?)
Magnesium (mg/L) 11
pH 8.0
Potassium (mg/L) 1.8
Sodium (mg/L) 22

And because it makes me laugh that nutjobs love cavities: :siren: Fluoride (mg/L) 0.33 :siren:

skipdogg posted:

I am very much pro water softener. I use a ton less cleaning products, and things are much easier to clean without all the scale buildup.

Our hardness varies from 170 to 340 mg/L. Depends on where the water is being pulled from. We have surface water, and water being pulled from limestone aquifers in my area.

Pretty much everyone has one here in the San Antonio area, and most newer houses come pre-plumbed for one.

In addition to what skipdogg said, it also just helps with extending the life of any appliance that is using the water too.

Though :lol: at those ranges; during good times my hardness might be 600-700 ppm, and in the "bad" times, 1,200-1,500 ppm.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

SourKraut posted:

In addition to what skipdogg said, it also just helps with extending the life of any appliance that is using the water too.

Though :lol: at those ranges; during good times my hardness might be 600-700 ppm, and in the "bad" times, 1,200-1,500 ppm.

:stare: Don't chip a tooth on your water.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

SourKraut posted:

I'm close to that on my well.

You can clean a sink and then run water in in once, come back and see white scale where the water dried. "Yep, must have not checked the water softener brine tank lately"

Just when though this one, but this time is was "why doesn't soap work anymore" and caught it earlier than "my shower just gave me a concussion".

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Well I guess we don’t have it so bad then :eek:

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Motronic posted:

I'm close to that on my well.

You can clean a sink and then run water in in once, come back and see white scale where the water dried. "Yep, must have not checked the water softener brine tank lately"

Just when though this one, but this time is was "why doesn't soap work anymore" and caught it earlier than "my shower just gave me a concussion".

The sad part is that I'm on municipal water...

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

SourKraut posted:

The sad part is that I'm on municipal water...

I mean......I'm on a well but the people on muni water close to here have the same problems and also have water softeners because....surprise....the water is coming out of the same formations and it's all just as hard.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
I'm in southern california, the concept of "local water" is hilarious. :v:

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

H110Hawk posted:

I'm in southern california, the concept of "local water" is hilarious. :v:

Our water in Glendale scares my Midwestern relatives enough that I can’t bring them a glass I fill for 2-4 minutes until the sediment settles.

Pasadena wasn’t that bad shockingly enough.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

TheGreyGhost posted:

Pasadena wasn’t that bad shockingly enough.

If you ignore the trichloroethylene. :v:

Our water is super airy - it looks white when poured from the faucet.

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

Is there a deck/patio thread?

I'm about to rip out my small deck (~12x20ft) and have my brother (a carpenter) rebuild it. Was thinking about going with a wood I am unfamiliar with (Ipe) and would love somewhere to sanity check my decisions.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
This is probably as good of a thread as any!

Started the fence (re)staining today. I got one panel done and really like the color. Only 31 more panels to go, plus another 150ft of full privacy fence thankfully only one side! :negative: It was at this point I remembered that I bought a pack of small roller covers for this purpose so those are getting busted out for the next session.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Get yourself some drop cloths and a cheap airless sprayer and save yourself a loooot of time. Looks good though.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Motronic posted:

I mean......I'm on a well but the people on muni water close to here have the same problems and also have water softeners because....surprise....the water is coming out of the same formations and it's all just as hard.

Yeah I should have clarified that this is municipal surface water. Only about 5% of my city’s demand is supplied by groundwater and I’m not in that zone.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Slugworth posted:

Get yourself some drop cloths and a cheap airless sprayer and save yourself a loooot of time. Looks good though.

Seconded, I was rolling my fence with stain and got lucky the neighbor had a sprayer for me to borrow, much faster and a much more even application too.

edit: just realized that could sound like I'm saying your panel looks bad, it looks good but it's easier to be even with a sprayer in my one fenced yards worth of experience

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now
I have a spherical septic tank with risers that bring the access about 5" above ground, and a plastic lid sits on top. The lid isn't airtight and there is some evidence of a now-missing gasket of some kind. I'll occasionally smell some odor near the tank. I don't smell it inside the house and the field looks to be in good shape, and I don't see any other evidence of a blockage either in the main line or in the stack that would prevent regular venting, so I'm thinking it's just because of the poor seal around the lid.

What's my best option to seal the rim? I'm thinking something like that peel & stick weather stripping, but that stuff doesn't seem super durable.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

just another posted:

I have a spherical septic tank with risers that bring the access about 5" above ground, and a plastic lid sits on top. The lid isn't airtight and there is some evidence of a now-missing gasket of some kind. I'll occasionally smell some odor near the tank. I don't smell it inside the house and the field looks to be in good shape, and I don't see any other evidence of a blockage either in the main line or in the stack that would prevent regular venting, so I'm thinking it's just because of the poor seal around the lid.

What's my best option to seal the rim? I'm thinking something like that peel & stick weather stripping, but that stuff doesn't seem super durable.

https://www.amazon.com/Sealing-Tuf-Tite-Polylok-Septic-16/dp/B01IRM64UW

This. And do it ASAP. Groundwater ingress will saturate your field.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

Someone posted about this awesome looking Thermostat last winter or something:
https://www.sunset.com/lifestyle/tech/ces-2020-honeywell-smart-thermostat

And well its cancelled for sure:

https://twitter.com/Honeywell_Home/status/1372210243023691779

Someone needs to come out with a work of art / nice looking thermostat since its literally always in a prominent room and always in sight.

falz fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Sep 2, 2021

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

falz posted:

Someone needs to come out with a work of art / nice looking thermostat since its literally always in a prominent room and always in sight.

drat that looked dope, what a shame.

FWIW, I really enjoy the latest full color Nest (not the cheap garbage Nest they built to provide with energy company subsidies). It's got a metal body, the LCD is good quality, and the UI is real slick. I find it better looking than Ecobee which is a rounded square vs. the classic circle.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I have that cheapo nest and honestly I like the mirrored front (except when my MIL who has no idea how to use it tries to adjust the temp and smudges it up). It's very simple and gets the job done.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I bought a house last year. My smart thermostat has done nothing for me because well.. someone has basically been home for the last 18 months. Thanks for listening to my ted talk.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

falz posted:

Why can't we have nice things? :qq: The round smart thermostat they actually released is so buttfucking ugly.

Guess I'll just add programmatic/remote control to my 60-year-old T87 via Arduino doohickey or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

tater_salad posted:

I bought a house last year. My smart thermostat has done nothing for me because well.. someone has basically been home for the last 18 months. Thanks for listening to my ted talk.

I don't really like the smart energy saving features of a lot of smart thermostats. Modern homes are designed to maintain a temperature, not let the house heat up in the summer and then bring it back down to temp when you get home. Oversized HVAC equipment leads to to increased wear and tear on the system.

I bought a couple of Ecobees just for the remote temp sensor features, it helps keep my desired temp in the rooms I'm in. I have one on each floor with 2 extra sensors and it keeps everything comfortable. The WiFi access is nice as well, but I turned off all the eco stuff.