Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

I look forwards to the Scomo vs Albo debates where Scomo argues all recieving welfare (except old age pensioners) should pay for their Covid vaccine while Albo vehmently disagrees before agreeing anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

i pressed it but it made it worse

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Seemlar posted:

Albo is beyond worthless as a leader, and the few notable positions where he's pretended to be an opposition rather than voting with the LNP against the Greens (being "Scomo screwed up the vaccine rollout" and "they should have built dedicated quarantine facilities") are both losers

Who in their right mind would put money on Labor winning?

I wouldn't put actual money on it, but the Liberals are 2PP polling worse than at any point since the last election (approaching 54/46).

They also have a 1-seat majority and 6 out of their 10 most marginal seats are in currently COVID-free states which I don't think are going to take kindly to the federal government bullying them into opening up.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

hambeet posted:

someone thinks scomo's on a winner strategy

couple of days ago:

today:

Betting against Labor is free money

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

Benito?!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
If the LNP takes the next federal election, I will vomit ivermectin style until I pukeshit myself into a coma.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Why would anyone else win? :confused:

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Megillah Gorilla posted:

If the LNP takes the next federal election, I will vomit ivermectin style until I pukeshit myself into a coma.

rip

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

freebooter posted:

I wouldn't put actual money on it, but the Liberals are 2PP polling worse than at any point since the last election (approaching 54/46).

They also have a 1-seat majority and 6 out of their 10 most marginal seats are in currently COVID-free states which I don't think are going to take kindly to the federal government bullying them into opening up.

I agree.

Qld won it last Federal election for the Libs. (Largely on the back of "YAY coal! Adani is such a good idea!")

But if ScoMo tries to force Palaszcuk into "letting 'er rip" and opening up to NSW, (especially with the case numbers they are having), it may well end up as a popularity battle between the two.

And I know state and federal voters can be weird in the way that there is no correleation between the two. But Anna is more popular than Scott. And "hard borders against the other plague ridden states" plays a lot better than "open up because NSW needs you to".

This is also not counting the anti Fed govt. sentiment in the west of Sydney about loving up the vaccine rollout, the historic low levels of support in WA, and Victoris which never votes well for the Libs.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I'm going to bet my entire offset account on the libs

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

freebooter posted:

https://twitter.com/GhostWhoVotes/status/1431942737486438401?s=19

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I know we're living in a timeline where Abbott and Morrison have been PM so all bets are off, but I just can't imagine PM Albo.

gently caress I wish Shorten had won.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Senor Tron posted:

but I just can't imagine PM Albo.

Might as well be a bag of flour sitting in the chair

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Shorten will probably come back to the leadership before the election

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

kirbysuperstar posted:

Bag of flour wouldn't cut benefits.

Bag of flour might also fight a tory through diabetes if you made it into a cake.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

freebooter posted:

The election can take place as far away as nine months from now, Covid is going to be in NSW's rear view mirror in 2-3. We'll see how much Covid-zero extremism holds up, but I lean towards not that well unless they decide they're happy with being permanent exiles, which is what they'll be if they look at the majority of the country being vaccinated, at levels incredibly conservative by worldwide standards, and continue to say "still not good enough".

That's also a pretty long time to have to try and keep up the delusion that the rest of the world is some terrifying post-apocalypse hellscape of death that Covid-zero states are a sanctuary from when anybody with the internet can readily see that's bunk right now.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

True dude. I mean sure we'd be looking at thousands of deaths in addition to lots of suffering and an overloaded hospital system, but we wouldn't literally end civilization so wanting to avoid that by locking down is pretty extreme.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
Are NSW and other states preparing for 'open it up' by stockpiling equipment and oxygen, building new facilities with beds and above all training more nurses and doctors to handle the surge and avoid unnecessary death or even collapse?

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

droll posted:

Are NSW and other states preparing for 'open it up' by stockpiling equipment and oxygen, building new facilities with beds and above all training more nurses and doctors to handle the surge and avoid unnecessary death or even collapse?

She’ll be right

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
#Newspoll Federal Primary Votes: L/NP 36 (-3) ALP 40 (+1) GRN 10 (-1) ON 3 (0) #auspol

Labor at 40?????

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007
A labor primary vote at 40 is death to the coalition. There will be no election until next year. Scomos hope is that vaccinations have hit critical levels, the virus is at a low ebb due to summer, we open up, the economy bounces and everyone forgets again how the cunts hosed everything up. And they will.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
I wonder how strong the economic recovery will be this time. The RBA credited the recovery early this year to the huge amount of cash thrown around via JobKeeper but without that it could be much more subdued.

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...

gay picnic defence posted:

I wonder how strong the economic recovery will be this time. The RBA credited the recovery early this year to the huge amount of cash thrown around via JobKeeper but without that it could be much more subdued.

Think shits hosed Mr speakah

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

I'm hoping this thread goes all in on scomentum for next election, that way we're all pleasantly surprised when we're wrong and Albo Clive wins.

Also friendly reminder anyone associated with the Herald Sun should be shot into space. Front page more whining Dan hasn't given his let er rip benchmarks, GIVE US HOPE DAN WHEN CAN WE LICK DOORKNOBS AGAIN, our mental health is suffering, plus a significant clive banner about how they care about mental health, you can't trust the big parties.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

In case you had faith in humanity

ABC: Sydney news: Increase in COVID-19 positive residents refusing to self-isolate posted:

Authorities are concerned that COVID-19 fatigue will push case numbers higher, as Greater Sydney enters its 10th week of lockdown.

NSW Police issued thousands of penalties last week, many to people who were knowingly COVID-positive while out and about in the community.

In one instance, officers spoke to a man and woman parked in a car in Asquith in Northern Sydney. Both were in breach of the public health order.

Police also found drug paraphernalia in their car, and it was later revealed the 39-year-old Tregear woman was COVID-positive.

Officers also stopped a 31-year-old man after he was spotted on a train not wearing a correctly fitted face mask. It was later confirmed the Bankstown man was COVID-positive and should have been self-isolating.

e: I do wonder how many people it takes to qualify for "many people", vs "some people" or "a few". Wonder if they'll publish stats for it.

Eediot Jedi fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Aug 30, 2021

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
NSW showing that their weak as piss lockdown has been designed to match the weak as piss people that live there.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Yeah dunno if vic has any right to throw stones any more.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Seemlar posted:

Covid is going to be in NSW's rear view mirror in 2-3.

Lockdown will (probably) be in the rear-view mirror. COVID won't be, and I wouldn't be surprised if in the northern hemisphere in winter it turns out vaccines weren't a magical solution after all and places like the UK start having to implement restrictions again. America's ICUs are already overflowing again.

Seemlar posted:

We'll see how much Covid-zero extremism holds up, but I lean towards not that well unless they decide they're happy with being permanent exiles, which is what they'll be if they look at the majority of the country being vaccinated, at levels incredibly conservative by worldwide standards, and continue to say "still not good enough".

Apart from the (incorrect) notion that the people in COVID-free states aren't happy with that state of affairs, I can tell that you're not in Queensland/WA/SA/Tasmania/NT because of the phrase "permanent exiles." They're not "exiled" from anything. They live there. We are the ones who are locked up. They're standing on the outside of the prison bars.

Beffer posted:

A labor primary vote at 40 is death to the coalition. There will be no election until next year. Scomos hope is that vaccinations have hit critical levels, the virus is at a low ebb due to summer, we open up, the economy bounces and everyone forgets again how the cunts hosed everything up. And they will.

The rumour is supposedly that they're gunning for a November election to ride on a crest of reopening, but I again think that's a problem with Morrison's Sydney brain - November will if anything be when the shitfight between NSW's opening on one hand and a demand for Qld and WA to reopen on the other hand is just getting into gear. Far better off waiting till the end of summer when maybe the Labor premiers have cautiously reopened their borders, people nationwide have got used to the idea of the virus circulating at controllable numbers, and the election can maybe be focused on something else.

Or, the alternative which will be worst for the world but funniest for the election: northern winter brews up a new kind of hyper contagious and vaccine resistant variant which leaks into Australia and starts wreaking havoc and putting us back into lockdown right after he sets a date.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

kirbysuperstar posted:

Plain? Self-raising? Whole meal? Is this a special flour blend like semolina?

I think this really matters for the future of the Labor party.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
messaging intentionally designed to downplay the severity of the problem causes the population to intentionally ignore it, this is a shock to everyone

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Living in Western Australia anecdotally there is heaps of support for 0 covid. Because it means snap lockdowns on any risk, and then "back to normal". We all go out to pubs, clubs, live normal precovid lives while vaccinations rates continue to improve. This is 100% the gold standard for dealing with covid, and if everyone had taken this approach covid would have been eliminated worldwide. Extremism is letting a pandemic virus run rampant because we can't dare let corpororate profits fall.

StrangeThing
Aug 23, 2021

by Hand Knit

freebooter posted:

Or, the alternative which will be worst for the world but funniest for the election: northern winter brews up a new kind of hyper contagious and vaccine resistant variant which leaks into Australia and starts wreaking havoc and putting us back into lockdown right after he sets a date.

I know this is a fear, but everything I've read suggests this is unlikely given that viruses tend to become less deadly over the long-term, rather than more. But who knows.

hooman posted:

Living in Western Australia anecdotally there is heaps of support for 0 covid. Because it means snap lockdowns on any risk, and then "back to normal". We all go out to pubs, clubs, live normal precovid lives while vaccinations rates continue to improve. This is 100% the gold standard for dealing with covid, and if everyone had taken this approach covid would have been eliminated worldwide. Extremism is letting a pandemic virus run rampant because we can't dare let corpororate profits fall.

There is plenty of support for 0 COVID in Victoria too, but I'll tell you...after 200 days, that support tends to wane even among the "absolute zero" crowd. It's tough.

StrangeThing fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Aug 30, 2021

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

StrangeThing posted:

I know this is a fear, but everything I've read suggests this is unlikely given that viruses tend to become less deadly over the long-term, rather than more. But who knows.

There is plenty of support for 0 COVID in Victoria too, but I'll tell you...after 200 days, that support tends to wane even among the "absolute zero" crowd. It's tough.

From my view it’s less the 200 days of lockdown and more the knowledge that any attempt at zero covid will be actively sabotaged by the loving NSW government.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

who cares about the election? theres not gonna be an election, tomorrows the day 𝔗ℌ𝔈 𝔗ℜ𝔘ℭ𝔎ℑ𝔈𝔖 take back their country

StrangeThing
Aug 23, 2021

by Hand Knit

Solemn Sloth posted:

From my view it’s less the 200 days of lockdown and more the knowledge that any attempt at zero covid will be actively sabotaged by the loving NSW government.

Maybe. In my experience among people I know, no one cares about the why - just that they've suffered 200 days and enough is enough already you know?

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Solemn Sloth posted:

I'm with this.

Victoria made it to 0. And we had the worst outbreak and the worst lockdowns of any state, (pre recent NSW fuckery). People in Melbourne have seen how much a long lockdown sucks arse, but they have also seen how it can bring cases down to 0.

I know blaming it all on Gladys/NSW is overly simplistic and not helpful. But gently caress her, and the plague rats that have spread from her diseased state.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

BrigadierSensible posted:

I know blaming it all on Gladys/NSW is overly simplistic and not helpful. But gently caress her, and the plague rats that have spread from her diseased state.

:godwin:

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Help I'm literally stuck in an episode of Hollowmen, some wankfest professional engagement consultants leading us through an 'individual ideation' process, then we voted which idea we should explore in more detail and the winning idea was to develop a white paper to further explor ethe problem kill me fuckingnowww

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

StrangeThing posted:

Maybe. In my experience among people I know, no one cares about the why - just that they've suffered 200 days and enough is enough already you know?

I would say everyone I know is squarely blaming Gladys for the outbreak and Scomo for the shocking vaccine situation but - the appetite for more lockdowns is starting to shift primarily because an increasing amount of people (myself included) are starting to realize that 0 COVID forever just isn't possible. We - as in, humanity - collectively hosed that chicken when we failed to contain the outbreak initially. So the lockdowns feel less like tasks on the road to a greater accomplishment and more like chores while awaiting the inevitable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Solemn Sloth posted:

Help I'm literally stuck in an episode of Hollowmen, some wankfest professional engagement consultants leading us through an 'individual ideation' process, then we voted which idea we should explore in more detail and the winning idea was to develop a white paper to further explor ethe problem kill me fuckingnowww

your fault for not suggesting "kill me now" as an option.