Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
generally polls are off by at least 2 points, every poll is within the margin of error of measuring the split between conservatives and liberals, they can show trends, but you're better off not thinking they're ever going to accurately predict election day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
so, have any parties announced anything interesting so far? or it's just tax credits for bathroom renovations if you live in a detached home built between 1982 and 2004 and the like?

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

so, have any parties announced anything interesting so far? or it's just tax credits for bathroom renovations if you live in a detached home built between 1982 and 2004 and the like?

How do you feel about poppers?

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
indifferent.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

the NDP announced Guaranteed Minimum Income for seniors

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Rutibex posted:

If this is true I will strategic vote against NDP. Jesus Christ.

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit
Honestly the conservatives have promised more than anyone else has so far just by saying that workers sounds be represented on the board of large companies and saying they'd legalise poppers, if I was registered to vote I'd probably vote for them just to spite the other parties.

There's still never been a good enough candidate for me to risk jury duty though and I'm definitely not going to do it this time either lol

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

He's running... away
https://twitter.com/canadianpolling/status/1432073154139246597?s=21

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Next flight to Costa Rica is Thursday

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Mafic Rhyolite posted:

Honestly the conservatives have promised more than anyone else has so far just by saying that workers sounds be represented on the board of large companies and saying they'd legalise poppers, if I was registered to vote I'd probably vote for them just to spite the other parties.

There's still never been a good enough candidate for me to risk jury duty though and I'm definitely not going to do it this time either lol

what's so bad about jury duty? I've never done it, sounds pretty boring but would not have guessed risky

also do you have to register to vote or is that just what you call bringing some id/a friend/neighbour with you to the polling place

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

I'm annoyed I've never gotten to do jury duty. Seems like it would be simultaneously boring as hell and really interesting.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Rutibex posted:

if this is somehow true then i guess i'm voting communist or marxist-leninist next election

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
I got a summons once and worried about it till they finally cancelled. I have no problem with the idea of serving on a jury, but it’d be financially ruinous to be forced into an unpaid leave of absence from work to do so.

jury compensation in BC:
First 10 days: $20 a day
11 to 49 days: $60 a day
50 days or more: $100 a day

kinda hard to make rent on $20/day or even $60/day.

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit
Yeah there's no way in hell I could afford to do that poo poo, nor do I have any interest in participating in the Canadian justice system. There's essentially zero reason to risk getting picked for that for the sake of any politician that has run for a major party for as long as I've been old enough to vote.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Mafic Rhyolite posted:

Yeah there's no way in hell I could afford to do that poo poo, nor do I have any interest in participating in the Canadian justice system. There's essentially zero reason to risk getting picked for that for the sake of any politician that has run for a major party for as long as I've been old enough to vote.

makes total sense re: pay, didn't know how dismal the day rate is

in my mind I'd get to be veronica mars in that one episode where she solves the case from the jury deliberation room. guessing that's not super realistic

could always just resolve to vote "not guilty" no matter what

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
I dunno. I’d volunteer for jury duty if they’d guarantee my wages, or at least something close enough I could handle the financial hit.

but the combo of economic precarity and absurdly low compensation for jurors rules me out. I can imagine why others would want to avoid it.

FormaldehydeSon
Oct 1, 2011

Mafic Rhyolite posted:

Registered to vote? You realize we don't live in the states right?

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

FormaldehydeSon posted:

Registered to vote? You realize we don't live in the states right?

Most Canadians do not, in fact, realize this.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmgcbsFFY1A

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Let he who hath not shitposted in the cspam Trump thread cast the first stone on that one.

I know I’m guilty.

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit
Yeah yeah idgaf, they take the jury duty names from the voter list of that jurisdiction, I'm not particularly interested in the minutiea and terminology of a system that I don't participate in and has nothing to offer me

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
NDP at least promised pharmacare, dental and I think mental health under the health act, which is huge if you've ever had to take serious medication with no / crappy prescription coverage.

They have zero chance of forming government of course but it's good policy.

The conservatives "single board seat for workers" is pointless bullshit and I'm surprised anyone is falling for it. Big companies have like 15-20 people on their boards. A single person representing labour is going to be totally irrelevant, even assuming they're not a toadie installed to sell bad board decisions as labour friendly.

Germany has 50% worker representation on their boards. That's what you need for workers to have a genuine voice.

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

Please. Let me tell you all about how you're all idiots. I am of superior intellect here. Go suck some dicks. You have all fucking stupid opinions. This is my fucking opinion.
Guilty

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

Mafic Rhyolite posted:

Yeah yeah idgaf, they take the jury duty names from the voter list of that jurisdiction, I'm not particularly interested in the minutiea and terminology of a system that I don't participate in and has nothing to offer me

How exactly do you not participate in anything the government does?

Doctor
Jul 22, 2005

GO TO YOUR ROOM!
I got called for jury duty once and at first I was kind of excited to see the justice system in action and then realized they weren’t covering my parking fees, much less my wages.

thankfully I guess they sussed out my more extreme political opinions in the test about
my knowledge they sent me and never called me again lol. thank god.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
the one time i got called i happened to have three medical appointments the week the trial was going to start so that was enough to get me excused. i wasn't even lying or anything

jury duty seems especially boring since we don't have the death penalty. i've always wanted to conspire with a bunch of strangers to kill a man, and get away with it

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Mafic Rhyolite posted:

lol you're an idiot

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit

CLAM DOWN posted:

lol you're an idiot

If someone wants my vote all they have to do is pay my student loan off or execute all the landlords, hell i'll even settle for gulaging the landlords and redistributing their ill-gotten wealth. I'm flexible!

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

CLAM DOWN posted:

lol you're an idiot

Not an empty quote.

Not voting to avoid jury duty? The easiest thing in the world to get out of? Ok then.

FormaldehydeSon
Oct 1, 2011

Mafic Rhyolite posted:

If someone wants my vote all they have to do is pay my student loan off or execute all the landlords, hell i'll even settle for gulaging the landlords and redistributing their ill-gotten wealth. I'm flexible!

gently caress it I'll run on this platform

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit

Danny LaFever posted:

Not an empty quote.

Not voting to avoid jury duty? The easiest thing in the world to get out of? Ok then.

It's also out of lack of interest and not wasting the 15 minutes or whatever

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

infernal machines posted:

serious general ripper vibes here

interior crocodile alligator
i am an obligate non-masturbator

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

flakeloaf posted:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

flakeloaf posted:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

flakeloaf posted:

:discourse:

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

flakeloaf posted:

whoa

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

Opens thread

:chloe:

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

skewetoo posted:

Opens thread

:chloe:

not too late to close the tab!

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Mafic Rhyolite posted:

I think this depends on the province. in ontario juror lists are taken from OHIP, although until 2019 they were taken from property tax assessments which was hilariously loving stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit
Everything I've ever read says it's voter lists for selection in BC, and I'm certainly not missing out on anything by not voting for people who don't give a poo poo about me in the slightest.