Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

not an FPS but the Playstation duke nukem game, time to kill, is really cool and good in ways that balance out its lovely controls and wild difficulty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Has anybody had any success getting QuakeInjector to work with the new Quake remaster?

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Pope Guilty posted:

Has anybody had any success getting QuakeInjector to work with the new Quake remaster?

The original files are still included with the remaster, so just make sure you point the injector at those instead of what is essentially another source port.

I would like to know if we could shift the updated models over to Quakespasm etc though.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Pope Guilty posted:

You can switch mod in-game using the console with "game <folder name>", you might have luck switching to Injector-downloaded mods that way.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Doctor Dogballs posted:

not an FPS but the Playstation duke nukem game, time to kill, is really cool and good in ways that balance out its lovely controls and wild difficulty

I liked when you return from the wild west and all the strippers are replaced with pigcops

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

The Vile Stuff posted:

I would like to know if we could shift the updated models over to Quakespasm etc though.

Yep

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

:

The rear cover, for reference:

I was also reading through these recently and I was sad that the ones on the doom wiki don't seem to go into as much detail because they are hilarious and Doom shovelware was just as amazingly shite.

Makes me wonder if there was similar stuff for build engine games.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Shoehead posted:

I was also reading through these recently and I was sad that the ones on the doom wiki don't seem to go into as much detail because they are hilarious and Doom shovelware was just as amazingly shite.

Makes me wonder if there was similar stuff for build engine games.

You know there was :)

https://dukenukem.fandom.com/wiki/Duke!ZONE

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Aug 29, 2021

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Doctor Dogballs posted:

I played Time to Kill but never Land of the Babes. TTK was my introduction to Stabbing Westward which is either a good thing or a bad thing depending on who you ask.

Land of the Babes had a killer score tho: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLXngJXtzZ4

Dsmif
Sep 4, 2014

What are the chances of Quake II getting the same remaster treatment as Quake?

This remaster got me to enjoy Quake properly after 25 years, but i think a large part of that is Dimension of the Machine which is gorgeous. I've started playing Arcane Dimensions now and I think the main reason I kept bouncing of Quake earlier was the levels.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Dsmif posted:

This remaster got me to enjoy Quake properly after 25 years, but i think a large part of that is Dimension of the Machine which is gorgeous. I've started playing Arcane Dimensions now and I think the main reason I kept bouncing of Quake earlier was the levels.

Probably depends on how much the new remaster sells. I could see it happening, hopefully with 3 after that.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
As a kid, I remember swinging by Funcoland with my mom after we got dinner one night. I asked the employee if they had a copy of "Duke Nukem: Land of the Babes" available and--to this day--I can recall the subtle way my mom shuddered and winced when the employee set the copy on the counter. Land of the Babes.

She wasn't going to stop me from buying it, but the sudden wave of shame resulted in me abruptly changing my mind and buying a copy of Dino Crisis 2 instead.

Eventually I bought a used copy of Duke Nukem: Time To Kill and, yeah, it was a surprisingly decent TPS.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Dsmif posted:

Considering Quake 2 RTX just came out?

I mean maybe night dive could do quake 2 IDK but I would just play with Yamagi or another sourceport. It wouldn't be very different necessarily.

Dsmif
Sep 4, 2014

SeANMcBAY posted:

Probably depends on how much the new remaster sells. I could see it happening, hopefully with 3 after that.

I hope so, I'd like to see QII models given the care that these have been.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

I mean maybe night dive could do quake 2 IDK but I would just play with Yamagi or another sourceport. It wouldn't be very different necessarily.

Yeah but for a lot of people having Quake 2 plus expansions on a single launcher, with the OST included and maybe a coat of paint will do the trick. Also console releases are more sales (I know I will get the PS4 version since I own the Steam one already).

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I would be excited for a Machine Games Quake 2 episode though.

Dsmif
Sep 4, 2014

Zaphod42 posted:

You may be right, but I think that Quake II RTX is it's own thing, whereas the updated releases for Doom and Quake are more about ease of play on modern machines and consoles.

Dsmif
Sep 4, 2014

catlord posted:

I would be excited for a Machine Games Quake 2 episode though.

Yeah, that would be amazing.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Q2RTX is a tech demo, it’s nowhere near the treatment Quake 1 got

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Part of me wonders if there is even a single decent level in those massive bundles

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

As a kid, I remember swinging by Funcoland with my mom after we got dinner one night. I asked the employee if they had a copy of "Duke Nukem: Land of the Babes" available and--to this day--I can recall the subtle way my mom shuddered and winced when the employee set the copy on the counter. Land of the Babes.

She wasn't going to stop me from buying it, but the sudden wave of shame resulted in me abruptly changing my mind and buying a copy of Dino Crisis 2 instead.

Eventually I bought a used copy of Duke Nukem: Time To Kill and, yeah, it was a surprisingly decent TPS.

Just want to say congrats on instead buying one of the best games on the original playstation.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Considering the amount of technical overlap between Winquake, GLQuake, and Quake II, I think it would be a shame if we didn't get a Quake II rerelease. The hard part got done!

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

haveblue posted:

Q2RTX is a tech demo, it’s nowhere near the treatment Quake 1 got

It also looks like complete poo poo.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

SeANMcBAY posted:

I can't imagine the remasters got a bunch of people to run out and buy Doom/Quake if they didn't already own them, and if they did the remaster is free.

Dsmif
Sep 4, 2014

TOOT BOOT posted:

I can't imagine the remasters got a bunch of people to run out and buy Doom/Quake if they didn't already own them, and if they did the remaster is free.

I've seen quite a few comments from people in this thread who bought the remasters for consoles, especially the Switch.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Playing through Scourge of Armagon, and some aspects feel very Quake 2-like. The architecture on this map in particular, and the skull wing icon in the second image here:

Likewise, the way dead things start to buzz with fly sounds reminded me of the rotting corpses and the cloud of bugs in Quake 2.

E: Oh, and Armagon seems very Strogg-like:

Did anybody from Hipnotic/Ritual end up working on Quake 2? Or maybe they had an inside scoop on general aesthetics?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
He looks like a stroggified Biker Freeman

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

TOOT BOOT posted:

Consoles, my good dude. I did get the remaster free on PC through updates but I rebought it on Switch too.

PepsimanVsJoe
Nov 16, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

You know there was :)

Oh I totally bought this.

Never left the house wearing the included t-shirt though.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

manero posted:

Playing through Scourge of Armagon, and some aspects feel very Quake 2-like ... the skull wing icon in the second image here:

That's the logo that's on all the crates in Quake 1

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Ah, derp. Not sure how I completely missed that one!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I do think you may be onto something though, Scourge does have some overlap with Quake 2.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Played some scourge. The new grenade variation is neat but pointless in a road not taken kind of way and the lazer gun mostly gets me murdered but at least its use for the lightning ammo.

The scorpions are trash and I hate them.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Thanks to Kinsie I'm playing through Duke Nukem Zero Hour (the other N64 one) with mouse + keyboard and it's pretty fun. Apparently it uses a modified version of the Build engine, which is crackers because it looks and feels absolutely nothing like Build. As fun as it is, I can't help but feel like it really should have just been in first person, but I get wanting to differentiate from Duke Nukem 64 which came out around the same time. Weird how that one had no music tracks during levels but Zero Hour does, including voice acting.
That's a thing now? I... kind of want to try this. I do own a copy of Zero Hour and should probably just play that, but mouse+keyboard is probably better still.

Am also gonna echo Time to Kill being pretty okay, but it is extremely Tomb Raider down to the tank controls, and if your mind isn't in the mood for that, it won't be a fun time. It's pretty janky even when you are in a Tomb Raider mood, so it'll just be moreso when you aren't. Really should've had a PC port, though; it's not like Tomb Raider wasn't popular on PC, it totally was. One of the biggest 3D Accelerator Card-sellers alongside Quake, in fact.

SeANMcBAY posted:

It also looks like complete poo poo.
Really can't agree with that. Seeing the sun rise on Stroggos in 4x real-time, with all the subtle changes in coloration of the sky as it rose over the mountains on the horizon, was honestly what sold me on raytracing tech, far, far more than any improved shadows or nicer reflections could.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

There was pretty extensive coverage of Zero Hour in Nintendo Power when it came out, and I thought the Wild West and Whitechapel stuff looked awesome. I’d really love to see someone reimagine it as a Duke3D mod.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
just finished dwell. theres one egyp catacombs map that is liek full of pillars that looks a bit bland, and i dont really remember some f the earlier maps, but by god its pretty. good stuff

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLp5-yO5_qw

This Realms Deep trailer though obviously BUILD engine does remind me of the aforementioned Damage Incorporated, especially with the AI squadmates.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WYeOf0POQw

Speaking of forgotten Mac FPS games, I know Prime Target has gotten some mention here as an early attempt to do realistic modern settings in 2.5D, but there's an even more obscure one called Sensory Overload, which is ugly and bad but notable for including a simple polygon engine to model believable furniture within its very limited Wolfenstein-esque engine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5beES_kCtM

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Shadow Hog posted:

That's a thing now? I... kind of want to try this. I do own a copy of Zero Hour and should probably just play that, but mouse+keyboard is probably better still.
You can wrangle it into being such using the N-Rage controller plugin that comes with Project 64. It SHOULDN'T work so well because it's not a proper mouse injector like Goldeneye and Perfect Dark have, but somehow it works out.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Scourge of Amagon has made me a convert; the regular shotgun is better than the double barrel

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

The Kins posted:

You can wrangle it into being such using the N-Rage controller plugin that comes with Project 64. It SHOULDN'T work so well because it's not a proper mouse injector like Goldeneye and Perfect Dark have, but somehow it works out.

I didn't even have to gently caress with the sensitivty, it's pretty useable "out of the box" as it were. Project 64 doesn't hide the mouse cursor in windowed mode unfortunately tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Amagon is the just the final boss from Quake 2 but mildly less embarassing because theres no quad damage or invulnerability power up.