Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Corla Plankun posted:

If you do it to one photo, you can copy the develop settings (in Develop Settings in the right-click menu in the library tab) and paste it onto all the others.

or hit "sync"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
Sorry if this is a bad place to ask, but do y'all know of any good online photo portfolio websites?

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Agoat posted:

Sorry if this is a bad place to ask, but do y'all know of any good online photo portfolio websites?

Format or Squarespace are pretty decent ones.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Or options that have been around for a while: Smugmug (the new owners of flickr), Zenfolio, Photoshelter,

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I asked before in here about help photographing the night sky, and tried the shutter app in iphone to leave it open for 60 seconds but it didn't work quite right

Anyways, the stock iphone camera is incredible. This is just me holding it and clicking the button with no setting changes

Need to get a tripod and a real camera since we see the meteor shower each year and would be cool to record them . Might have one in one pic because it's a 2 second exposure and there's a streak of light and I don't know if satellites would go that far that fast

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Unfortunately that's a satellite. The pulsing effect is from it spinning around.

Meteors are very hard to capture, you're exposing to capture a night scene which means long timers to collect light from the stars, and a meteor is a 1/100 second flash of light in the middle of that. That means big apertures and high iSO. It's cool that phones are getting that good but that's gonna be a lot of time awake at night waiting for results.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

alkanphel posted:

Format or Squarespace are pretty decent ones.

Pablo Bluth posted:

Or options that have been around for a while: Smugmug (the new owners of flickr), Zenfolio, Photoshelter,

Thanks for the suggestions, y'all. Squarespace turned out to be exactly what I needed.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Looks good, some nice captures there.

Late, but if you've got Adobe CC it includes their portfolio hosting, which I've found to be pretty adequate.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Looks good, some nice captures there.

Late, but if you've got Adobe CC it includes their portfolio hosting, which I've found to be pretty adequate.

Thank you! I've had nothing but bad experiences with Adobe, otherwise I'd have used them. :/

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
Any recommendations for where to get 8x10 and 8x12 prints made?

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

joat mon posted:

Any recommendations for where to get 8x10 and 8x12 prints made?

Richardphotolab.

I've only used them once for prints, and while I have no prior experience with having prints made, I have no complaints about the print they delivered.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Why is publishing photos from Lightroom such a pain in the dick? Like, I used to use it for Facebook but then Facebook decided that that wasn't going to be allowed. Then I installed a Google Photos plugin a while back, but now apparently that's been blocked by Google as of May of this year. I swear an Amazon Photos backup plugin existed at some point? Anyway that service is gone completely so that doesn't work. Does the Flickr backup work? Who knows, my Flickr account remains logged in on my phone but offers me zero way of getting back into it from any other device (we've discussed this before and seems to be because of Yahoo, which was a massive shock to me as they're usually such a reliable name in this sector).

Perhaps that awful non-Classic app has more options, and maybe it's not awful anymore? It just seems such a fundamental part of taking photos that's been completely overlooked and it's quite bizarre. Maybe online places got sick and tired of terrabytes of data were being stored without much in the way of income, and Adobe doesn't care enough to work out deals with anyone. I have my stuff on automated cloud backups from my drives so it's not like i'll lose anything if my drives melt, but it's nice to be able to easily link someone to an online gallery of a bunch of pictures of dogs or whatever that I can generate in a single click.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Exporting plugins are pretty bad, yes. I think that's mostly on the people that maintain the plugins though.

My approach the past year is to set up an export preset that dumps to my iCloud folder. That way I got the jpgs on all my devices and I can drop them into whatever social media destinations I might want to use. The only issue is on phone apps that don't look at iCloud, such as imgur. That means I gotta save the photos to my photo album first which is kinda lame but I don't know a better solution.

But the core idea of "all my exports are in a cloud folder" has been super convenient and I suggest trying it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah I have 50gb of iCloud that I don't use a huge amount of so I could definitely put some galleries into that. I'm not even sure why this is on people writing plugins, like surely there's a single person on the Adobe staff who could be tasked to making official connections with other sites, and another person who can then implement them through APIs that no doubt exist.

(I know the answer is "Adobe are the worst" to all these criticisms)

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
I bought a Nikon F film camera while on a roadtrip and it's turning out to be in need of some repair. Where might I find a place to send it off to to be repaired? Definitely going to break it beyond repair if I try to do it myself.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006
Gonna need some more details on your location.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

xzzy posted:

Exporting plugins are pretty bad, yes. I think that's mostly on the people that maintain the plugins though.

My approach the past year is to set up an export preset that dumps to my iCloud folder. That way I got the jpgs on all my devices and I can drop them into whatever social media destinations I might want to use. The only issue is on phone apps that don't look at iCloud, such as imgur. That means I gotta save the photos to my photo album first which is kinda lame but I don't know a better solution.

But the core idea of "all my exports are in a cloud folder" has been super convenient and I suggest trying it.

basically same except not icloud because it’s so unreliable if you want to use it right away, whereas if I use google drive, as soon as the file is there on my p I can open the app on my phone and it’s there too. icloud is always awful for this

ymmv

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

yep, ymmv. :v:

icloud has been effectively instant for me for quite a while now.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Has anyone ever bought from kmcamera.com?

tompepper
Feb 14, 2005

Is there a good resource online for viewing professional photography? I want to familiarize myself more with well known photographers' work but I don't want to spend boatloads of money on books. 😬

I've been watching plenty of documentaries and other videos about classic photographers but you don't really get to spend time with the image or get the same quality.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
Do you have access to a library? Libraries have lots of great art books with good quality prints and most places can do inter library loans to get more if you have a certain photographer in mind.

tompepper
Feb 14, 2005

Corla Plankun posted:

Do you have access to a library? Libraries have lots of great art books with good quality prints and most places can do inter library loans to get more if you have a certain photographer in mind.

Yeah I was thinking about going to the library, it would just be nice to be able to browse online.

Health Services
Feb 27, 2009
There's books that have a photo or two each from dozens/hundreds of significant/famous/well-known photographers, a brief bio/write-up, and so on. It's a good survey just to be familiar with some of the work out there. If there's anything that speaks to you then you'll be able to look for more from that photographer.

But honestly, just take a dozen photo books out from the library and look at them.

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi
depends a lot about what you are into. you can try looking at the websites for big museums and galleries as they may have their collections online. smaller ones will at least list their exhibitions which you can do some googling to find more from thee artists if something seems interesting. then of course there is the murky world of blogs and magazines where you can discover a lot of great stuff but generally out of context and also a bunch of trendy junk. if you have a local photography gallery or art schoool you might look into that as well to see what people near you are doing

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I totally get why you want online resources, books are heavy and bulky, but there is no comparison to seeing a physical print of a photo. They're a static presentation so you're forced to pay more attention to it instead of swiping to the next image after two seconds, and the artist picked the paper and color balance so you're seeing exactly what they wanted to produce. It's way more thoughtful and engrossing.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Assuming I have looked through a couple of books from Ansel Adams and Robert Capa, what are some good books for the average landscape (actual landscape but also parking lots) dorkroom-goon?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My two currently active favorites for trees and mountains landscapes is Bruce Percy and Adam Gibbs. Everything they do makes me question my decision to use cameras.

Percy is pretty stingy with his print counts though so copies are hard to get.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
I'm technically very good at photography. I understand all the settings on the camera. However, when it comes to capturing a moment, I'm terrible. I have a friend who does photography who isn't very good technically but her photos are amazing. What steps might I take to remedy this?

DanTheFryingPan posted:

Gonna need some more details on your location.

Is there not a recommended place to mail it to?

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

theHUNGERian posted:

Assuming I have looked through a couple of books from Ansel Adams and Robert Capa, what are some good books for the average landscape (actual landscape but also parking lots) dorkroom-goon?
I love the B&W work of Michael Kenna and recommend a copy of Forms of Japan. I don't own a copy, but also have a look at Genesis by Sebastião Salgado

I'm not a subscriber right now but I quite like the online magazine On Landscape. That should point you in the direction of some good landscape photographers who then might have books
https://www.onlandscape.co.uk/

They also hold a conference every couple of years, and put the recording of the talks on their Youtube.
https://www.youtube.com/c/OnlandscapeCoUk

Not books, but look on Youtube for Nick Carver, Ben Horne, Nigel Danson, Simon Baxter, Thomas Heaton,

There's stuff like the International Landscape Photographer of the Year who might let you discover someone who floats your boat and has book(s)
https://www.internationallandscapephotographer.com/index.php/previous-years/2020-awards-book

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Look at photos you like, think about them, talk about them and try to understand what makes them compelling. Combine that with practice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ej4Le3lo9Y

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
Don't just look at photographers. Get an Edward Hopper book too.

https://www.moma.org/artists/2726

This dude landscapes

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Holy poo poo this is a good video.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Do lots of ketamine and watch robert adams videos on YouTube

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi
For pure photography the photographer must first eliminate the self

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

Wild EEPROM posted:

Do lots of ketamine and watch robert adams videos on YouTube

Just read Beauty in Photography in one sitting. Can't imagine what that dude's videos would be like.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

huhu posted:

Just read Beauty in Photography in one sitting. Can't imagine what that dude's videos would be like.

buy a copy of "what we bought" and find out!

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
ok so my very old canon 350d, i’ve given it to my son, but somehow one of the pins in the CF slot has bent

does anyone have any experience or knowledge or anything? i was just gonna start opening her up but.. anything i should know or watch our for?

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Megabound posted:

Look at photos you like, think about them, talk about them and try to understand what makes them compelling. Combine that with practice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ej4Le3lo9Y

This is pretty goony, but I've found it really useful to practice with the screenshot mode in a lot of modern video games - being able to have a moment frozen where I can try out different perspectives, height, focal length, etc gives me time to consider what works, what doesn't, etc in a low-stress environment.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I do that with other people's photos too. I got a viewcatcher, a plastic composition tool. If I see a cool photo but it doesn't quit me sit right with me I'll pull it out and play around and see if I can figure out why they made that choice or find something I like better. It's not done to dog on them, just to work on my eye for things.

Don't know if it helps, but it's fun. And I guess counts as practice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Ethics_Gradient posted:

This is pretty goony, but I've found it really useful to practice with the screenshot mode in a lot of modern video games - being able to have a moment frozen where I can try out different perspectives, height, focal length, etc gives me time to consider what works, what doesn't, etc in a low-stress environment.

You can do this with Google earth (or maybe flight sim these days?) to semi plan out IRL photos. Anything with sufficient detail you can really play around with composition then fiddle with the time to figure out exactly when in the fall that perfect light is going to hit your clock tower.