Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
The why is that the right wing can no longer ignore the virus, but still wants to pretend it's a bad idea to get the vaccine. So they cling to anything with even a spec of hype behind it to replace it, because they are in fact scared of the virus, even if they won't admit it.

As for evidence, they cling to primarily an in-vitro study where a concentration that would be way over the safe dosage in a person neutralizes the virus. They also have some small studies that seemed to indicate it might help a bit when given to patients(I think in not insane dosages?), but even more studies were inconclusive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Kirk Vikernes posted:

From the little I've seen about it and the treatments Trump pushed early on that I've forgotten the name of, there's usually no basis for it or some crackpot US doctor/scientist latches onto some tiny inconclusive study in an obscure journal and spreads it as an alternative to real treatment/vaccines.

Speaking of vaccines have any of the US goons ever had anyone question your 3rd shot? In 9 days, it will be 5-months since my second shot and I'm curious.

Check the CSPAM thread there's lots of goons getting boosters. Most are just showing up at Walgreens/CVS and saying they're immune compromised.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

as a non-american living in a highly-vaxxed country, i have to ask:

why ivermectin? who started recommending this? is there any clinical basis to it's usage?

i'm just baffled how a livestock dewormer (right?) with brutal side effects became the newest fad in "treating" covid. there is basically 0 reporting on its usage in my country. when i google "why ivermectin for covid" i just get a bunch of poo poo about why NOT to take it
A paper came out from an Australian group early in the pandemic showing that ivermectin kills the virus in a lab setting. This was when people worldwide were trying absolutely anything because there were no treatments. Sometimes this approach bore fruit; dexamethasone, an old steroid drug, was found to help mitigate severe covid. Trying already-approved drugs is an attractive approach because they’d already passed safety trials in humans.

At some point, prominent grifters started promoting it, including the crank former biology professor Bret Weinstein. Bret is buddies with Joe Rogan and managed to get Rogan to do an emergency podcast episode on why ivermectin can literally save the world. Did I mention that Weinstein is a crank and a hack with little understanding of actual science? But he’s a compelling speaker and storyteller and was given a platform on the biggest podcast in the world, with a credulous interviewer.

Anyway, ivermectin does have real antiviral activity in the lab, but the problem is that the amount required to inhibit/kill the virus is orders of magnitude more than you can get into your body, especially safely. It also does have legitimate uses in humans, but at tiny doses compared to what people are getting when they’re ingesting stuff meant for goddamn horses.

My best guess for why it’s popular amongst MAGA types is that the vaccines and masks are popular amongst liberals, and everything is politicized in our hyperbolically dumb country.

Some Guy From NY
Dec 11, 2007

Kirk Vikernes posted:

From the little I've seen about it and the treatments Trump pushed early on that I've forgotten the name of, there's usually no basis for it or some crackpot US doctor/scientist latches onto some tiny inconclusive study in an obscure journal and spreads it as an alternative to real treatment/vaccines.

Speaking of vaccines have any of the US goons ever had anyone question your 3rd shot? In 9 days, it will be 5-months since my second shot and I'm curious.

Got my 3rd shot on friday in PA. At the registration table, they asked if i was immunocompromised then when i got to the table to get the dose, the RN administrating it asked what made me immunocompromised/what medications i was on. she then typed something into a laptop.

I am only at 6 months after 2nd dose, but according to CDC, you can get 3rd dose 28 days after 2nd dose if you have immuno issues.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

why ivermectin? who started recommending this? is there any clinical basis to it's usage?

i'm just baffled how a livestock dewormer (right?) with brutal side effects became the newest fad in "treating" covid. there is basically 0 reporting on its usage in my country. when i google "why ivermectin for covid" i just get a bunch of poo poo about why NOT to take it

https://www.medpagetoday.com/infectiousdisease/covid19/90552

I think this has a good break down of what happened, I only googled it there now, so I am not sure if this is a fake quack site or its legit.
Skimming it, it seems a few doctors tried throwing random poo poo at covid, and with the cherry picking scientific method of Andrew Wakefield.

Choice quote:

quote:

"Everyone in medicine will yell and scream that this paper is not a randomized controlled trial," or RCT,....."We didn't believe in an RCT. We believe we're supposed to doctor and use our expertise. If you've been doing this for decades, and you trust your assessment of the disease and your knowledge of medicine, it's OK to doctor."

If anyone has any better timeframe details then do share.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Someone did an in vitro with super toxic amounts of it and it definitely killed covid the same way it would kill you at that dosage.

Also Peru has no vax supply but plenty of ivermectin, so they have been investigating its efficacy. The results are as expected.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Zugzwang posted:

My best guess for why it’s popular amongst MAGA types is that the vaccines and masks are popular amongst liberals, and everything is politicized in our hyperbolically dumb country.

It's probably popular in part because it's something you can procure and administer yourself, as a Rational and Independently-Thinking Person freed from the Propaganda being fed to The Sheep (and who doesn't want to talk to doctors because they might get harassed about vaccines).

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

not gonna quote everyone who replied by thanks for the info! that makes sense, very interesting to know it's not exclusively american too (tho it makes more sense to countries that have trouble with vaccine procurement to latch on to it than it does in the US)

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Zugzwang posted:

A paper came out from an Australian group early in the pandemic showing that ivermectin kills the virus in a lab setting. This was when people worldwide were trying absolutely anything because there were no treatments. Sometimes this approach bore fruit; dexamethasone, an old steroid drug, was found to help mitigate severe covid. Trying already-approved drugs is an attractive approach because they’d already passed safety trials in humans.

At some point, prominent grifters started promoting it, including the crank former biology professor Bret Weinstein. Bret is buddies with Joe Rogan and managed to get Rogan to do an emergency podcast episode on why ivermectin can literally save the world. Did I mention that Weinstein is a crank and a hack with little understanding of actual science? But he’s a compelling speaker and storyteller and was given a platform on the biggest podcast in the world, with a credulous interviewer.

Anyway, ivermectin does have real antiviral activity in the lab, but the problem is that the amount required to inhibit/kill the virus is orders of magnitude more than you can get into your body, especially safely. It also does have legitimate uses in humans, but at tiny doses compared to what people are getting when they’re ingesting stuff meant for goddamn horses.

Availability would be a big factor as well. I assume they would jump all over dexamethasone too if you could buy it from a tractor dealership.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

poo poo, I just checked, and it's now more than 6 months since I had my second shot - time flies when you're not having fun.

I feel like I should get a 3rd Moderna dose, but I have to plan around the expectation of bad side effects, going by how I felt after shots 1 and 2.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Stickman posted:

This UK study is probably the most comprehensive breakthrough study to date (preprint). It's a prospective surveillance study where a large number of participants were recruited randomly (via address-based sampling) and then regularly tested through the present. Regular testing means that the study doesn't suffer from potential bias due to differential test-seeking behavior like case-control or matched pair studies based on testing site data. It is potentially subject to sampling bias (due to opt-in recruitment) and to behavioral or demographic differences between vaxxed/unvaxxed groups (since it is not a clinical trial).

The found that there was relatively large difference in effectiveness v symptomatic Delta infection between people aged 18-35 and those 35-64, and that protection declined notably over 6 months (from ~95 to 85% for 18-35 and ~90 to 50% for 35-64). People with pre-existing health problems had similar VE to health participants. Unfortunately, the didn't look at immunocompromised people directly - I suspect the sample size would have been too small even if they had the information. There is apparently a pre-Delta study showing that VE vs infection was only 59–71% for immunocompromised folks (compared to 90-95% otherwise), but I haven't been able to find it.

So yes, it seems likely that age, time since vaccination, and health of the immune system affect relative vaccine effectiveness, though perhaps not underlying conditions. If you're interested in how that translates to proportions of total breakthroughs, then it will depend on demographics and vax rates in each category (and the distribution of when they were vaxxed). VE vs Delta is declines to low enough levels that it's unlikely that immunocompromised people would make up a significant portion of breakthroughs even if the vax was totally ineffective for them, because they are only a small proportion of the vaxxed population (probably <5%). Older folks will make up a large proportion of breakthroughs in part because of the difference in VE, but also because they are more likely to be vaccinated and their breakthroughs are more likely to be detected because they will tend to be more severe.

Thanks for that, it’s more or less along the lines of what I expected but good to see actual evidence to support it.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

not gonna quote everyone who replied by thanks for the info! that makes sense, very interesting to know it's not exclusively american too (tho it makes more sense to countries that have trouble with vaccine procurement to latch on to it than it does in the US)

Vaccine procurement doesn't matter at all because it's not people who vaccinate who are using ivermectin. It's the people who refuse to vaccinate and then become sick because we have widespread rampant COVID. They're latching onto it because it's something their misinformation circles tell them that they can do to protect themselves without vaccination or masking, which they are convinced are far worse that the disease.

It doesn't matter how easily available vaccines are, it just matters how much misinformation and bullshit snake-oil has infiltrated segments of the population and how many of those people are currently getting COVID.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

wilderthanmild posted:

They also have some small studies that seemed to indicate it might help a bit when given to patients(I think in not insane dosages?), but even more studies were inconclusive.
This is pretty common for ineffective but popular treatments: lots of studies done, some showing benefits, but as the study quality improves, benefits start to vanish. The placebo effect and outsized effects from small sample sizes are doing lots of work in the lower-quality studies.

Stickman posted:

Vaccine procurement doesn't matter at all because it's not people who vaccinate who are using ivermectin. It's the people who refuse to vaccinate and then become sick because we have widespread rampant COVID. They're latching onto it because it's something their misinformation circles tell them that they can do to protect themselves without vaccination or masking, which they are convinced are far worse that the disease.

It doesn't matter how easily available vaccines are, it just matters how much misinformation and bullshit snake-oil has infiltrated segments of the population and how many of those people are currently getting COVID.
Yeah, just to be clear why I singled out Bret Weinstein, he literally claimed that ivermectin is “something like 100% effective” at preventing covid in a podcast he did.

I expect the delta variant will show us whether he’s a true believer or not.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Zugzwang posted:

Yeah, just to be clear why I singled out Bret Weinstein, he literally claimed that ivermectin is “something like 100% effective” at preventing covid in a podcast he did.

To be fair you only have to change one digit of that number to arrive at the correct value. 000% is something like 100%

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
https://twitter.com/jkass99/status/1430949019031801862

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Zugzwang posted:

I expect the delta variant will show us whether he’s a true believer or not.

And this is the reason why the cranks will always have an edge, because even the amazingly good vaccines (seriously even boring old AZ has an efficacy in the upper ranges for most vaccines, the mRNA ones are almost miraculous) can't claim 100% effectiveness because there's actual scientists involved and so can never claim to be 100% effective. Even in a non-Delta world some people would say "Wait 95% isn't as good as the 100% this guy is claiming for his anti-covid rock!". And of course because they have to be honest about side effects and drawbacks you fall even further behind the cranks - ivermectin has been causing diarrhea and even blindness but it all gets handwaved away.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

goddamnedtwisto posted:

And this is the reason why the cranks will always have an edge, because even the amazingly good vaccines (seriously even boring old AZ has an efficacy in the upper ranges for most vaccines, the mRNA ones are almost miraculous) can't claim 100% effectiveness because there's actual scientists involved and so can never claim to be 100% effective. Even in a non-Delta world some people would say "Wait 95% isn't as good as the 100% this guy is claiming for his anti-covid rock!". And of course because they have to be honest about side effects and drawbacks you fall even further behind the cranks - ivermectin has been causing diarrhea and even blindness but it all gets handwaved away.
IVM diarrhea is just toxins leaving the body!!

It doesn’t help that the vaccines make many people really sick for a day or two, which some antivaxxers point to as an example of why they’re unsafe. My second Moderna shot made me sicker than I’ve been in 15+ years. But it’s way better than getting cheese lung or (horrors) long-term ED from covid-induced vascular damage.

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

Signed up for a CVS COVID test and their website asked if I had received the vaccine in last 9 months. I thought that was a weird question to ask.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr posted:

Signed up for a CVS COVID test and their website asked if I had received the vaccine in last 9 months. I thought that was a weird question to ask.

It's not, because depending on the kind of test, it might just check if you have covid antibodies, which would happen from the vaccine too. Even if it's for the proper swab test, they may have/want to keep tabs on breakthroughs.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Kirk Vikernes posted:

My rheumatologist emailed me that boosters were available and I should make an appointment asap. Got the booster next day.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I've been reading Vonnegut's Jailbird and there's a great line in there about a massacre that takes place being caused by 'American amateurism in matters of life and death'

It seems apt for the current moment.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Zugzwang posted:

Thanks for this. I had someone push this crap (both ivermectin and his podcast) on me and I didn't really have a response because I had no desire to watch it and have somehow even more alt right wing poo poo showing up on my youtube recommendations.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Rescue Toaster posted:

Thanks for this. I had someone push this crap (both ivermectin and his podcast) on me and I didn't really have a response because I had no desire to watch it and have somehow even more alt right wing poo poo showing up on my youtube recommendations.
Oh yeah and, there was a randomized controlled trial that seemed to show glowing results for ivermectin. Turns out the data were completely fabricated. Weinstein responded to this news by attacking the use of randomized controlled trials as a gold standard, lol

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
https://twitter.com/byronkaye/status/1431463706542501894

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark

It is part right wing partisan grifting as others have said, but also having a healthcare system where a single trip to the ER can bankrupt your family leads to a lot of Americans either distrusting doctors and experts, plum trying to just suffer through things and hope they make it, or to seek out cheaper alternative cures. Huge obvious problem with that is the sheer volume of quackery and con-men pushing stuff like ivermectin.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

The serious adverse event rate is something like six per hundred thousand when taken as directed. That’s not bad for a prescription drug, but with the number of people out there taking Ivermectin like it’s cheese whiz, more than a few will become sick as a dog.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Platystemon posted:

The serious adverse event rate is something like six per hundred thousand when taken as directed. That’s not bad for a prescription drug, but with the number of people out there taking Ivermectin like it’s cheese whiz, more than a few will become sick as a dog.

Milo is the first person I've heard of injecting it.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Platystemon posted:

Yeah, but Milo is either lying or ODing. I'm really curious what the end game is.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

ikanreed posted:

Yeah, but Milo is either lying or ODing. I'm really curious what the end game is.

With Milo the end game is always attention.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

ikanreed posted:

He will be born anew and try to pivot as a messenger of god.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Zil posted:

He will be born anew and try to pivot as a messenger of god.

Even the lamb of god needs some sheep drench from time to time

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
Australian states and territories seem to be coming together a little bit on the "no vaccinations, no non-essential freedoms" bandwagon. I wonder if we will see people trying to relocate if some states end up with harsher restrictions at 80% than others.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

https://twitter.com/oneunderscore__/status/1431040456364810242?s=21

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Zugzwang posted:

My second Moderna shot made me sicker than I’ve been in 15+ years. But it’s way better than getting cheese lung or (horrors) long-term ED from covid-induced vascular damage.

Same and I'm still going to get the booster the day it becomes available to me. Which is hopefully soon since I got my second jab in January.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

gay picnic defence posted:

Even the lamb of god needs some sheep drench from time to time
:golfclap:

Speaking of which that just reminded me the Megadeth + Lamb of God tour that was supposed to be hitting Phoenix last summer ended up being rescheduled to... today. Doesn't look like it's been rescheduled again so pretty sure it's going on now, and seems it sold out a couple weeks ago :rip: hope all the boomermetalheads got vaxxed up

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Whooping Crabs posted:

Same and I'm still going to get the booster the day it becomes available to me. Which is hopefully soon since I got my second jab in January.

There are hundreds of thousands of doses per month going down the drain in the USA so if you're American I would try asking around at a few pharmacies. Some care more than others and getting your arm between a dose and the trash can is good for everyone.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Salt Fish posted:

There are hundreds of thousands of doses per month going down the drain in the USA so if you're American I would try asking around at a few pharmacies. Some care more than others and getting your arm between a dose and the trash can is good for everyone.

good idea, I will check

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

It's also a human dewormer, and there was a study that it inhibits COVID replication in cell culture, but that dosage would be toxic to humans. So some people decided to go blind from :horsedrugs: to own the libs.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

RightClickSaveAs posted:

:golfclap:

Speaking of which that just reminded me the Megadeth + Lamb of God tour that was supposed to be hitting Phoenix last summer ended up being rescheduled to... today. Doesn't look like it's been rescheduled again so pretty sure it's going on now, and seems it sold out a couple weeks ago :rip: hope all the boomermetalheads got vaxxed up

Which is kind of ridiculous because Phoenix is just as bad now in terms of covid cases as it was last August when the tour was cancelled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

Why not set up some fake fake vaccine sites, where you have it leak that they'll inject you with a saline solution and give you your vaxx card nudge nudge wink wink, but then they actually get vaccinated, oops