Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Blackhawk posted:

New Zealand's R value currently appears to be about 0.8, which is pretty good when delta's R0 is something like 6. Still even at 0.8 it's going to take us a longarse time to get back down to zero cases. I'm hoping the current R value is still a bit juiced by inter-household transmission and will go down again once it's burnt through all of the existing case family members.

you have the luckiness of people experiencing their first lockdown in a long time and actually taking it seriously. i had to laugh watching some hiker youtuber from NZ who was posting videos all about "oh my gosh look at lockdown, haha zoom with friends... kick back and watch TV all day! this is awesome!" you've got about a month where people will put up with and do that willingly. hope you can get things under control in that time. that's the one shot you get basically

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
none of my friends answer my zoom calls anymore.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

mod sassinator posted:

you have the luckiness of people experiencing their first lockdown in a long time and actually taking it seriously. i had to laugh watching some hiker youtuber from NZ who was posting videos all about "oh my gosh look at lockdown, haha zoom with friends... kick back and watch TV all day! this is awesome!" you've got about a month where people will put up with and do that willingly. hope you can get things under control in that time. that's the one shot you get basically

Yeah, it's really looking like even with vaccines if you want to keep things more or less normal most of the time you're still going to have to shut the entire country down every time you pick up a single community case. Vaccines would hopefully reduce the time in lockdown because the pre-detection spread would have been a bit less, but it's by no means a magic bullet. There's been some talk here about whether we can realistically go back to 'level 1' again, given even a single super-spreader event with delta (like a big rugby game or trade show/conference etc.) could potentially gently caress you with cases to the point where an effective lockdown would just be too long for the general population to tolerate.

Edit: Like in this case we shut the entire country down the day of detection of a single community case, and now Auckland at least will be in maximum lockdown for minimum 1 month, and then likely several months of less restrictive lockdown after that. We were lucky that it didn't really spread to the rest of the country and so they'll be opening up a lot sooner. If we'd let it get to 10 or 100 cases in the community before lockdown we'd have been turbo-hosed.

Blackhawk fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Aug 30, 2021

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
gottleib, member of pfizer's board, is signaling winter for child vaccine availability: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/scott-gottlieb-pfizer-covid-19-vaccine-fda-children/

quote:

Washington — Dr. Scott Gottlieb, former head of the Food and Drug Administration and a member of Pfizer's board of directors, predicted Sunday that the drug company's COVID-19 vaccine could be available to children younger than 12 by early winter, a crucial development in the nation's vaccination efforts as kids return to the classrooms.

In an interview with "Face the Nation," Gottlieb said Pfizer will be in a position to file data with the FDA at some point next month, and then submit its application to expand its emergency use authorization for its vaccine in children 5 years and older as early as October.

"The agency will be in a position to make an authorization, I believe, at some point, late fall, probably early winter," Gottlieb told "Face the Nation. "And probably they're going to base their decision on what the circumstances around the country, what the urgency is to get to a vaccine for kids."

really pretty ridiculous no one can come out and say a solid date. just loving spill the beans, is it looking like december 1st? stringing people along with "we're going to file in october" means nothing

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
we might have our next delta variant right here: https://inews.co.uk/news/health/boardmasters-festival-new-delta-strain-cornwall-event-1172393

quote:

Fears are rising that a new strain of the Delta variant of Covid-19 has emerged among festival goers after an event attended by 53,000 revellers in Cornwall led to sharp spike in cases among younger people.

With this Bank Holiday weekend witnessing the highest number of music lovers flocking to festivals in 18 months, Public Health England (PHE) is understood to be investigating a possible new Delta strain that may have emerged from the Boardmasters festival in Newquay two weeks ago.

A senior official working on pandemic response in the south-west of England said many of the infections among young people in the region had been identified as coming directly from the festival in Newquay, which now has the highest rate of infection in England at more than 2,000 per 100,000 people.

The source told i: “It was traced because they can identify where it came from by genetic changes in the code.”

While it is being referred to among hospital staff in Devon and Cornwall as the “festival variant”, it is believed to be a new strain of Delta rather than an entirely new variant. Delta already has around a dozen different strains.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

super sweet best pal posted:

The Cornwall corn army is no match for a COVID warrior.

i floop the pig

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mod sassinator posted:

gottleib, member of pfizer's board, is signaling winter for child vaccine availability: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/scott-gottlieb-pfizer-covid-19-vaccine-fda-children/

really pretty ridiculous no one can come out and say a solid date. just loving spill the beans, is it looking like december 1st? stringing people along with "we're going to file in october" means nothing

Maybe they're timing it out so kids get all get their shots on Christmas break

First day of Winter is 12/21

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

McNugget Buddy posted:

Maybe they're timing it out so kids get all get their shots on Christmas break

First day of Winter is 12/21

the war on* Christmas just got real

*on as in during. not against.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

silicone thrills posted:

My last remaining lib friend flew to Spain for vacation this week Lmao.

He and his partner went to nola in March and got their j&j shots there. Not on purpose. Just coincidence.

He has insisted over and over to me that he is "being safe "

Safe. Safe. So safe. Safely
lol did a playdate with some lib friends, outside at a beach, when we show up they all put on their masks lmao
come to find out one friend is on the "if you read covid news so much you're worried about it, you need therapy" story arc
the other is "just not seeking out any sort of downer info"
my response is well we've made it this long without getting sick, and it's nice to stare into the sun

the peak of the hangout was when i informed them all of the horse paste and all the folks eating it to cure their covid
the look on their faces lmaoooooooo

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

i'm putting my non-existent money on festival variant being the next big one because it's fitting with all the dumb gently caress festivals happening non-stop everywhere

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

then again,
https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1432201185033863170

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

inferis posted:

tough job working at the enumclaw tractor supply

:perfect:

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/84e8dbb1-b2f8-469d-b2a2-416c7756e252

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

been following the ida news today and i just realized that i had forgotten about the pandemic

like my brain is currently incapable of holding the reality of those two disasters happening at the same point in space and time

lol, and also lmao

piiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

pancake rabbit posted:

been following the ida news today and i just realized that i had forgotten about the pandemic

like my brain is currently incapable of holding the reality of those two disasters happening at the same point in space and time

lol, and also lmao

piiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing

What kind of paste do I eat for a hurricane?

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

has ida petered out into a cat 1 yet

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Salt Fish posted:

CA glue, to stick yourself to a post in the ground and then to glue your flesh back together in the aftermath

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I keep trying to communicate to people how hosed up I am from my likely previous covid but they don't care. Even when I was directly dealing with it, it was the most sick I have ever felt and absolutely loving miserable. The lies about how vaccinated people won't get it and if they do it will just be a cold is a soothing reality that absolutely will not be abandoned until every single person gets it themselves because even seeing people near them getting sick is just considered the limited exception that you can't worry about.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I've also been feeling like poo poo for days with a negative covid test and its insane how our society is so casual about every respiratory illness. This poo poo sucks!

meet girls at the store
Nov 4, 2002

pancake rabbit posted:

lol, and also lmao

piiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing

[laughs in Californian]

But seriously sometimes I take a “break” from pandemic news to check on the rampaging fires and carcinogenic air quality, and it is a good distraction. A change is as good as a rest.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Salt Fish posted:

duck tails

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

gonna put 5th wave on my schedule for Jan/Feb

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Koirhor posted:

gonna put 5th wave on my schedule for Jan/Feb

:yeah:

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Shiroc posted:

I keep trying to communicate to people how hosed up I am from my likely previous covid but they don't care. Even when I was directly dealing with it, it was the most sick I have ever felt and absolutely loving miserable. The lies about how vaccinated people won't get it and if they do it will just be a cold is a soothing reality that absolutely will not be abandoned until every single person gets it themselves because even seeing people near them getting sick is just considered the limited exception that you can't worry about.

I'm sorry that you got sick, friend. :(

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

This thread is getting worse than the climate change thread lmao, God drat. It's going to be a rough winter.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Shiroc posted:

it sucks that people don't give a gently caress, or even write off experiences of those they are close to
just all around hosed

Cup Runneth Over posted:

This thread is getting worse than the climate change thread lmao, God drat. It's going to be a rough winter.
lol esp when it's all baked in, just nothing to be done at this point, no one in power is going to do anything
just all around hosed

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Tzen posted:

it sucks that people don't give a gently caress, or even write off experiences of those they are close to
just all around hosed

lol esp when it's all baked in, just nothing to be done at this point, no one in power is going to do anything
just all around hosed

die has been cast :grin:

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

I'm seeing a business opportunity for anyone with a horse and a camera.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

It's kind of awesome, isn't it?

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
People love to criticize capitalism but its hard not to enjoy the consumer choice of which doomsday scenario to obsess over.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Hexigrammus posted:

No, it's genuinely really sad, because it's hitting goons now, and the thread is anxious and depressing instead of brain broken and jokerfied

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Blackhawk posted:

New Zealand's R value currently appears to be about 0.8, which is pretty good when delta's R0 is something like 6. Still even at 0.8 it's going to take us a longarse time to get back down to zero cases. I'm hoping the current R value is still a bit juiced by inter-household transmission and will go down again once it's burnt through all of the existing case family members.

have you considered letting the virus wash over your children, elderly and vulnerable instead? lot of tourism dollars being left on the table by not surrendering to the virus

Frances Nurples
May 11, 2008

Hexigrammus posted:

nope :(

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Tzen posted:

just all around hosed

https://twitter.com/dcexaminer/status/1367668000346828806

quite contrary! everyone in power is working very hard, very diligently, in service of virus.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

me laughing at dying chuds: Haha gently caress yeah!!! Yes!!
me providing emotional support for people forced into infection by our broken society: Well this loving sucks. What the gently caress.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Delta-Wye posted:

https://twitter.com/dcexaminer/status/1367668000346828806

quite contrary! everyone in power is working very hard, very diligently, in service of virus.

Oh my God I had no idea it was a quote

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Cup Runneth Over posted:

nah. both threads are great and make me laugh a lot. I know winter will suck, so video game backlog, a weight loss goal and a ton of work to build my business here I come. spring will be here before we know it, and another million or so dead.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

mod sassinator posted:

It's not releasing to theaters. People in the line can say no.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

LionArcher posted:

nah. both threads are great and make me laugh a lot. I know winter will suck, so video game backlog, a weight loss goal and a ton of work to build my business here I come. spring will be here before we know it, and another million or so dead.

I'm not using "worse" as in quality, I love both threads. I'm talking about mood. It's getting loving bleak in here, even the climate change thread regulars might tell you guys to lighten up.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Oh my God I had no idea it was a quote

this thread is brokebrained, not creativ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrangeThing
Aug 23, 2021

by Hand Knit

Chamale posted:

I'm being way too risky at outdoor events with double vaccinated people. Those are the events I can set up to not have to actively enact precautions while talking to people, but at the current case rate it's not entirely safe for a group of vaccinated people to eat at a picnic table together. Ugh.

...what?