Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Amppelix posted:

i think that's kinda backwards though. i mean yes (still full game spoilers btw)his new outfit is clearly meant to contrast him to runo and all but all of that is more meant to arouse your suspicions of what he's actually been doing and where he's going with this and why he's being so secretive than to build him up as your Epic Legendary Rival if you ask me. this comes to a head during early day 2 when for a good while there it seems he may have actually done the murder and you can't really deny the possibility because of how weird he's been for the past several days. and if the game was trying to just play him straight as a cool prosecutor guy, what's the part with him completely losing it and having to get a talking to from ryunosuke about? like you seem to have understood the part where he's actually not all that great as a prosecutor because of his personal feelings getting way in the way but then thought that must be the game failing to portray him as competent instead of it being extremely intentional, like i was talking about in my earlier post.

yeah maybe the game plays up the "he's going to have really good arguments because he's both a defence and prosecuting lawyer!" bit one too many times but i really don't think the whole thing falls flat on its face because of that failing to manifest.

That's my point though. The game was trying to play him up and he just eats poo poo immediately, so what's up with that?

Again it would have worked better if we saw an example of him prosecuting in a non-breakdown setting. He contributes plenty to the case on an emotional drama level, but as a prosecutor he's just kinda there.

Speaking of Bad Opinions, I actually don't like 1-3 much just because [1-5]it turns out there's no mystery and McGilded just stabbed him straight-up. Lame. Laaaaaaame. I don't mind McGilded doing it and loving up the trial but at least make us deduce some insanely convoluted plot involving a spring-loaded knife mechanism or something stupid like that afterwards. 2-4 worked because the culprit's paranoia made every single part of the crime insanely convoluted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

also I like DD's animations but my scale has probably been destroyed from Phoenix's animations in PLvsAA which are utter rear end for the most part

Kiwillian
Mar 13, 2004

Poor Sheepy :(
Somebody posted some pages ago about Sherlock Holmes references but I think they missed a couple. Only Finished GAA1 so far but:

Windibank (the Pawnbroker) is from A Case Of Identity but is a clear reference to The Red-Headed League, even his hair is red. There is also a reference to people digging under the pawnbroker shop to find treasure.

The main character in the Red-Headed League is Jabez Wilson (J. Wilson?).

I wonder how many more there are. A lot of obtuse ones, I assume.

Kiwillian fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Aug 30, 2021

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
Just finished the game. All I'll say now is [2-5] it took me way too long to realize Stronghart was the proto-Damon Gant and I marked out when he started clapping almost right after. Shu Takumi, you've done it again

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

somepartsareme posted:

Just finished the game. All I'll say now is [2-5] it took me way too long to realize Stronghart was the proto-Damon Gant and I marked out when he started clapping almost right after. Shu Takumi, you've done it again

Same, I noticed he gave off damon gant vibes but I didn't realize how similar their designs actually were until near the end and then yeah he does the Gant Clap and it rules.

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Aug 30, 2021

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I had the opposite reaction [2-5]in that I though the resemblance to Damon Gant was so severe that it had to be a red herring. It wasn't until he said whatever sinister thing he says at the start of 2-4 ("I like matters to be handled in the manner I prescribe," I think) that I considered he would be the actual final villain. Then he went full Gant with the slowly unraveling lightning bolt unicorn horn and big clap and it did indeed rule.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
2-4 Well bye Gregson, I guess. You will not be missed. :colbert:

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Ytlaya posted:

I think that Ryunosuke was already pretty certain she was responsible for poisoning Shamspeare by that point. It was just a matter of proving it, but by that point he already seemed to understand the big picture.

At best, it's just Graydon's word against Gina's by that point. IIRC Graydon didn't have any evidence other than "I was an eye witness" for Gina doing the shooting. And I also think I remember his account being really goofy and involving Gina shooting him through the hole in the door; it was something that was "technically possible" but way less plausible than Graydon himself doing the shooting.

Again, not exactly a big deal since these games basically need the trials to continue until the actual culprit is identified, but it's goofy that the jury would consider that persuasive.

The jury sort of alternates between being dumb as dog poo poo and being smart (when Ryunosuke is changing their minds).

The thing is (1-5) Graydon is an English Gentleman, while Gina is a pickpocket who has already admitted to theft and perjury and threatening the victim with a gun. So if it does come down to one testimony against another, the Jury's gonna believe Graydon. Innocent until proven guilty doesn't exist apparently

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Lotus Aura posted:

2-4 Well bye Gregson, I guess. You will not be missed. :colbert:

He was only 6 days from retirementtransferring :qq:

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

2-3 and 2-4 lol Ryunosuke's first trial back and he has once again exposed a national secret and judging by the setup for 4 there's no way this doesn't end with another national secret being exposed.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I had the opposite reaction [2-5]in that I though the resemblance to Damon Gant was so severe that it had to be a red herring. It wasn't until he said whatever sinister thing he says at the start of 2-4 ("I like matters to be handled in the manner I prescribe," I think) that I considered he would be the actual final villain. Then he went full Gant with the slowly unraveling lightning bolt unicorn horn and big clap and it did indeed rule.

He was insanely obviously evil from second 1, but for me the real tip-off was in 2-3 when he goes on that crazy rant about how undesirables must be purged in flame

Omnious statements are basically his accent but that was a bit much even for him

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I'd blocked so much of (2-5)AA1-5 out of my mind I didn't even remember Damon Gant. So the Stronghart similarities completely went over my head.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Kiwillian posted:

Somebody posted some pages ago about Sherlock Holmes references but I think they missed a couple. Only Finished GAA1 so far but:

That was me, and I posted that in the hopes people would add to it. Please do post anything you catch in Resolve, as well. :)

Though that post was building on an earlier post that specifically went through the references in Sholmes dances of deduction, which mentions one of the references you noted:

Regy Rusty posted:

Incidentally this reminds me that there's a post I've been wanting to make for a while now about the Dances of Deduction.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

On the tail of that effortpost about Sholmes' deductions, I started thinking about what other references there are to the Holmes stories.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Not to toot my own horn but as more people finish the game I suggest going and checking out that Dance of Deduction post I made. It's pretty wild how deep they dug for some of the references.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Re weird references:

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Oh geez, I just found another reason for the bees, or maybe it's the other way around. I don't know if it was mentioned, but it's from His Last Bow: (Sherlock Holmes spoilers, not AA spoilers) An informant for the Germans named Altamont provides the German agent with false information in the form of a book titled Practical Handbook of Bee Culture. The Holmes references in this game go pretty deep.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Finished 1-4, what an utterly miserable omnishambles of misfortunes... but I repeat myself.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Aug 31, 2021

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Finished both games and I've deduced that it's very great.

I think more than anything else these games succeeded at having very memorable and likeable characters, and writing that was consistently funny and entertaining. Even as some cases may have not been the best AA cases I've seen it was almost never a chore because most character beats or tics and dialogue was just a fun time. So even though I have some mixed feelings about the overall story and setup of the first game (similar say to how I have mixed feelings about the first AAI game which would then go on to knock it out of the park with AAI2) it still felt satisfying to experience the story because of those positives.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I personally feel that GAA manages not to have any absolutely bad cases, which is kinda impressive considering even the early games usually had one case that's usually a noticeable dip in quality (AA2-3, 3-3, 4-3.. what is it with the third case of AA games). I can't really think of a weak case across both games. GAA2-3 I was a bit more whatever on, but it did its job fine.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
GAA1-4 was the weak point for me. It had some charming character moments but: the mystery and courtroom writing was very weak, the jury was very annoying and van Zieks would immediately rebut whatever would come out of the closing arguments as soon as he was allowed to speak again, which made the whole thing feel pointless. I feel like it could have been a much stronger case with a classic Ace Attorney feel if it had been rearranged to that discovering the crime scene had been moved was the climax. As it is, the contradiction gets introduced and then solved almost immediately, we get a dramatic speech from Roly Beate that seems a little out of place since he just showed up, and then we have to relitigate wacky domestic violence theater with the Garridebs. And then Naruhodo freaks out about how he's going to prove something I realized about 20 minutes beforehand. On top of that, it was the 3rd episode in a row without a satisfactory resolution.

Honestly I was pretty worried about the quality of the mysteries until I got into 2 which proved to be amazing and like a true return to form for the series

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
So was there any reason that (GAA 2-5) Stromhart and Jigoku couldn't just shoot Drebber in the face and call it a day when Genshin came out of the grave?

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

You make my korokoro go dokidoki.

TheKingofSprings posted:

So was there any reason that (GAA 2-5) Stromhart and Jigoku couldn't just shoot Drebber in the face and call it a day when Genshin came out of the grave?

More than likely Stronghart would just find some other way to get Asogi killed down the line. It was probably a delightful excuse for him to push Jigoku.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

somepartsareme posted:

GAA1-4 was the weak point for me. It had some charming character moments but: On top of that, it was the 3rd episode in a row without a satisfactory resolution.
i thought 1-4 was easily the most satisfying mystery to figure out of them all. yes, of the entirety of both games. and the resolution was very satisfying after the tragedy of both previous cases where this time, there was no tragic misunderstanding or murderous intentions, it truly was entirely an accident and nothing too serious happened in the end thanks mostly to ryunosuke's excellent work in court.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

TheKingofSprings posted:

Jigoku wasn't expecting anyone to have to die, he was pushed into the murder by Stronghart. On some level he probably suspected Genshin was guilty of the crimes he was accused of, so in the heat of the moment and urged on by Stronghart, he found himself able to shoot. But I don't think he would've been cool with shooting an innocent bystander. Likewise, Stronghart didn't want any blood on his own hands, so he wouldn't have done it himself (and if he had, Jigoku might not have let him get away with it, conspiracy be damned). Once Drebber runs away and starts talking to the papers, having him killed becomes much more complicated and likely to draw the wrong kind of attention.

Plus, Stronghart probably ultimately wanted Asogi out of the way, anyway. I still think he would've honored the deal if for no other reason than he was being blackmailed, but a dead Asogi tells no tales.

Bluff Buster
Oct 26, 2011

TheKingofSprings posted:

I think the idea is that Drebber had already bolted before the two were done bickering over whether they should shoot Genshin.

^Beaten, and in greater detail.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Bluff Buster posted:

I think the idea is that Drebber had already bolted before the two were done bickering over whether they should shoot Genshin.

^Beaten, and in greater detail.
Drebber got blood on his camera from the shot so he was still there. I think other than glee at removing Asogi as a potential threat from Klint's confession I think Stronghart probably also figured it would be easier to ultimately hide the fate of a convicted foreign felon like Asogi than a British citizen getting murdered mysteriously.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Nate RFB posted:

Drebber got blood on his camera from the shot so he was still there. I think other than glee at removing Asogi as a potential threat from Klint's confession I think Stronghart probably also figured it would be easier to ultimately hide the fate of a convicted foreign felon like Asogi than a British citizen getting murdered mysteriously.

A convicted felon who was already supposed to have been executed, no less. What could be easier than covering up the murder of someone everyone already thinks is dead?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
1-5 : Was that one of the text sfx slowed down for Sholmes' depressive episode?

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

A convicted felon who was already supposed to have been executed, no less. What could be easier than covering up the murder of someone everyone already thinks is dead?

After Drebber reported what he saw to the papers they still had to cover things up with a fake report about how he was definitely killed by the execution and was never shot by a gun.
I don't think shooting a grave robber and fabricating a case for it having been justified, or say throwing Vigil under the bus for that instead, would have been difficult for them to do if they wanted. Or let Drebber and Genshin both live, and put the iron mask on another executed felon and put them in the grave instead when it came time to exhume the body and discredit Drebber.
The heart of the matter is really just that Stronghart wanted Genshin removed anyway, and jumped at the excuse for ending the deal even if there could have been other outs while upholding it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/CapcomUSA_/status/1433082796126449668?s=20

I want to believe.

Bluff Buster
Oct 26, 2011

Nate RFB posted:

You're ... right. But ... doesn't that mean Stronghart and Jigoku, presumably undisguised since they didn't expect to encounter anyone, were arguing well within earshot of Drebber? Like, they didn't use a sniper rifle, and I'm sure Stronghart screams in all caps to shoot Asogi.

Bluff Buster fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Sep 1, 2021

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Bluff Buster posted:

You're ... right. But ... doesn't that mean Stronghart and Jigoku, presumably undisguised since they didn't expect to encounter anyone,, were arguing well within earshot of Drebber? like, they didn't use a sniper rifle, and I'm sure Stronghart screams in all caps to shoot Asogi.

Not only that but Esmerelda was right there and saw the whole thing too. She's got an entire graveyard's worth of blood on her hands not saying anything about it lol

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

Not only that but Esmerelda was right there and saw the whole thing too. She's got an entire graveyard's worth of blood on her hands not saying anything about it lol

No that's definitely not true she wouldn't have arrived till near morning.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Regy Rusty posted:

No that's definitely not true she wouldn't have arrived till near morning.

During Stronghart's confession he mentions that he had made a deal with Esmerelda to keep quiet about what she saw, and her mid-credits scene also has her confess that she knew all along that Genshin had been buried alive and then shot, but went along with Stronghart for the sake of her model and family creed.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Even if she did do anything wrong, no jury in the world would convict tusspells. She is simply too cute

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Jigoku wasn't expecting anyone to have to die, he was pushed into the murder by Stronghart. On some level he probably suspected Genshin was guilty of the crimes he was accused of, so in the heat of the moment and urged on by Stronghart, he found himself able to shoot. But I don't think he would've been cool with shooting an innocent bystander. Likewise, Stronghart didn't want any blood on his own hands, so he wouldn't have done it himself (and if he had, Jigoku might not have let him get away with it, conspiracy be damned). Once Drebber runs away and starts talking to the papers, having him killed becomes much more complicated and likely to draw the wrong kind of attention.

Plus, Stronghart probably ultimately wanted Asogi out of the way, anyway. I still think he would've honored the deal if for no other reason than he was being blackmailed, but a dead Asogi tells no tales.

Jigoku was mad enough at Asogi's hearing to break the witness stand, so I think he fully believed Asogi was innocent. What got him to take the shot was Stronghart bringing up his career and future, Jigoku cares about his status above all else and was willing to kill his friend for it with some pushing(this is also why he drops the mask and gets super aggressive when challenged by someone he considers below him, which is basically everyone but Stronghart).

I assume they just let Drebber go because nobody would believe him anyway

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013

Gruckles posted:

During Stronghart's confession he mentions that he had made a deal with Esmerelda to keep quiet about what she saw, and her mid-credits scene also has her confess that she knew all along that Genshin had been buried alive and then shot, but went along with Stronghart for the sake of her model and family creed.

I was under the impression that was because it would've been incredibly hard to disguise the fact that Genshin had been shot when Esmeralda used his body as a reference. So she didn't see the actual moment itself, but the aftermath should've made it clear.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
Has this been posted yet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RalGNjy77y0

t3isukone
Dec 18, 2020

13km away

TheKingofSprings posted:

I still find the amount of people who were there in that night in that graveyard entirely independent of each other hilarious. Yes, four isn't that many, but for a graveyard at midnight it's quite a lot!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

This was an entire episode of the anime, I believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

End of 2-5 A judge finally ends up being a murderer and then it turns out TWO judges are actually murderers? This game is crazy.