Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggles.
what if we made the substation a boat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ABCG
May 12, 2020

Chuka Umana posted:

https://twitter.com/search?q=laplace&src=typed_query&f=live

wtf it's all people asking for help no one is gonna help you on twitter
lol this crack pinged me

lmao

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

we explicitly spelled out that the storm aftermath would look not-as-bad at first because everyone who got lightly tapped would still have power and phone and would go "ah we're fine!"

today and tomorrow is when we start finding out what happened to the areas that completely lost power and reception

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
So where's that dude who said this was gonna be a nothing burger?

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
Stuck in their attacks

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

SKULL.GIF posted:

we explicitly spelled out that the storm aftermath would look not-as-bad at first because everyone who got lightly tapped would still have power and phone and would go "ah we're fine!"

today and tomorrow is when we start finding out what happened to the areas that completely lost power and reception

One of my grandma's friends got PTSD from spending weeks trapped in her attic in the aftermath of Katrina. She never fully recovered, and has since died. It sounds like some families are trapped right now and will never get the resources to rebuild, the big question is just how many.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Atrocious Joe posted:

how is Chicago and Midwest Storm Chasers doing. Have they been save and/or arrested for their crimes

Hasn't tweeted since last night. I'd say it'll either be a coinflip between trying to act like nothing happened vs ghosting and setting up another grift somewhere else. I'm expecting now that he's got some infamy there will probably be YouTube drama channels looking to dissect his past for content.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
Hurricane PTSD is extremely real and sucks

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Chamale posted:

One of my grandma's friends got PTSD from spending weeks trapped in her attic in the aftermath of Katrina. She never fully recovered, and has since died. It sounds like some families are trapped right now and will never get the resources to rebuild, the big question is just how many.

Not enough to matter.

it will never be enough

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Chamale posted:

It sounds like some families are trapped right now and will never get the resources to rebuild, the big question is just how many.

There are people in NJ who haven't been able to rebuild from Sandy even with federal funds. It can't be overstated how much storms like this permanently ruin lives, even if you think you have the means to recover and rebuild.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Police abolition! We did it cspam

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

shirts and skins posted:

Police abolition! We did it cspam

Comrade Ida says ACAB

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Fifth strongest hurricane to hit U.S.

https://twitter.com/USATODAY/status/1432330340757090305

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Derek Fcking Carr posted:

Hurricane PTSD is extremely real and sucks

This is 100% true, even if you don't get stuck in an attic from flooding. The tremendous amount of fury, the aircraft runway decibel levels thrown about by hurricanes are absolutely jarring.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?

mod sassinator posted:

you are not 100% safe in your car from lightning, but you're not a prime target for it as it's seeking out ground and you're somewhat insulated from that in the car

transmission lines are hundreds of thousands of volts, and they don't stop until the power plant dies. here's what about half the voltage of transmission lines can do.. a measly 200k volts:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jzy_bPnt1_A

it can leap right through a foot or more of air, ionizing it and conducting through whatever it finds. you don't want to get anywhere near that or it might go through you

something like this happened to a teenager after sandy somewhere near nyc.... she went outside to film a downed powerline arcing and got a little too close, or maybe it was wet or something, just absolutely fried to death... pretty horrifying for all involved

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 43 hours!

Lady Militant posted:

what if we made the substation a boat

they exist for offshore windfarms!

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Chief McHeath posted:

This is 100% true, even if you don't get stuck in an attic from flooding. The tremendous amount of fury, the aircraft runway decibel levels thrown about by hurricanes are absolutely jarring.

I read a book about Katrina called "the Great Deluge" that described the sound as like the air hose at the dentist on a massive scale, for hours. No, thank you!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

shirts and skins posted:

I read a book about Katrina called "the Great Deluge" that described the sound as like the air hose at the dentist on a massive scale, for hours. No, thank you!

it really is something you have to experience to really understand. it’s just this constant never ending howling that’s slamming everything then there’s the gusts within the storm that are even faster that feel like something just physically slammed the building you’re in. If you’re in a dense area, you can actually hear the gust coming from the sound of crashing as it hits every building on the way to where you are.

and this goes on for hours, and there’s nothing you can do about it. you just… sit there and listen and hope the building holds.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

My aunt has yet to respond this morning , last night she said she was fine though her ceiling sprung some leaks and there was debris everywhere.

stone soup
Jul 8, 2004

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

it really is something you have to experience to really understand. it’s just this constant never ending howling that’s slamming everything then there’s the gusts within the storm that are even faster that feel like something just physically slammed the building you’re in. If you’re in a dense area, you can actually hear the gust coming from the sound of crashing as it hits every building on the way to where you are.

and this goes on for hours, and there’s nothing you can do about it. you just… sit there and listen and hope the building holds.

its hard to completely fathom, even with videos like this posted last night
https://mobile.twitter.com/tfortier_wx/status/1432076132904488967

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

When hugo hit charlotte I remember us hiding in the basement and hearing that screaming. Obviously hugo was very weak by then relative to what Ida was last night but it was still horrifying

plus we got the bonus of hearing the trees snap in half all around us and hoping none of them chose to fall on the house.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Yeah. Growing up in the PNW I experienced the long powerful "big blow" storms that hit in the fall, and the biggest of those will sustain near-hurricane force winds all day. Even the worst of them though like the (stupidly named) Hanukkah Eve storm are on just a lower order of magnitude than a major hurricane.

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

Evil_Greven posted:

something like this happened to a teenager after sandy somewhere near nyc.... she went outside to film a downed powerline arcing and got a little too close, or maybe it was wet or something, just absolutely fried to death... pretty horrifying for all involved

fun fact electricity going through your body will contract your muscles and override brain signals to move those muscles

if you get electocuted like that you will fall down and curl into a ball against your will until you die

kinda like how if you grab something electrified you wont be able to let go (and why brushing the back of your hand to check for electrified objects is better)

stone soup
Jul 8, 2004

really queer Christmas posted:

My aunt has yet to respond this morning , last night she said she was fine though her ceiling sprung some leaks and there was debris everywhere.

hoping your aunt is safe; fwiw it seems like cell & text services are heavily impacted

local news reporting here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ABvrlQ75PY

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

FizFashizzle posted:

When hugo hit charlotte I remember us hiding in the basement and hearing that screaming. Obviously hugo was very weak by then relative to what Ida was last night but it was still horrifying

plus we got the bonus of hearing the trees snap in half all around us and hoping none of them chose to fall on the house.

Hugo was the hurricane I was talking about as I lived it when it hit PR. It was not fun!

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Raine posted:

fun fact electricity going through your body will contract your muscles and override brain signals to move those muscles

if you get electocuted like that you will fall down and curl into a ball against your will until you die

kinda like how if you grab something electrified you wont be able to let go (and why brushing the back of your hand to check for electrified objects is better)

also fun fact: the safest way to get away from a downed power line is to press your feet together and shuffle, keeping your feet in firm contact with the ground while moving them as little as possible while still letting you move around. if you step normally the power can go up one let and down the other, loving up everything in between.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

We were hundreds of miles inland in Jackson, and Katrina is still something I vividly remember.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Shifty Pony posted:

also fun fact: the safest way to get away from a downed power line is to press your feet together and shuffle, keeping your feet in firm contact with the ground while moving them as little as possible while still letting you move around. if you step normally the power can go up one let and down the other, loving up everything in between.

This sounds fake, but it is absolutely true.

The goal is to minimize what’s called “step potential”.

Hopping with both legs together, as in a sack race, is another technique.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vAA95ZZdjI

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/1K__Jay/status/1432337227791622155

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

I hope FEMA brought a pack of paper towels for Biden to throw to the crowd

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

I like fish. I like to eat fish. I like to brush fish with a fish hairbrush. Do you like fish too?
holy poo poo

^^^^ lmao

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

what a Laplace transformation

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
That’s one hell of a Laplace transform.

e: gently caress you

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

durrneez posted:

holy poo poo

^^^^ lmao

biden's opening pitch to a hurricane victim

the presidential tradition continues :911:

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.
Friends I know near Slidell had their house demolished by a tree. Last I heard the family was sheltering in a stable segment of the home. That was several hours ago and no updates since.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/AlertaNews24/status/1432349482939781123

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

super sweet best pal posted:

Hasn't tweeted since last night. I'd say it'll either be a coinflip between trying to act like nothing happened vs ghosting and setting up another grift somewhere else. I'm expecting now that he's got some infamy there will probably be YouTube drama channels looking to dissect his past for content.

what happened with this? i guess i was away when this went down so i'm out of the loop

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

There was a science museum I visited once I think, when I was a wee lad, that had a recording made of the Galveston(?) hurricane and part of the experience was that you listened to it in a pitch black room just like the people who survived it did. Harrowing stuff

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

fosborb posted:

we will learn nothing from this

Sure people will - the wrong lesson:

"I evacuated and all it did was rain. Next time, gently caress that poo poo, I can't believe I listened to BIG GUBBERMINT."

:smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygna
Mar 6, 2009

The ghost of a god is no man.

Shifty Pony posted:

Also fun fact: if you're in a vehicle that's impacted a power line, and you need to get out immediately (like if it's on fire), you need to jump out the door without touching the chassis. So that's leaping out of the car, landing with your feet together without grabbing anything to balance yourself, and hopping/shuffling away, all without falling down. Hope you're well-coordinated!