Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

Bought a Behringer 2600 - Barely lasted a week before I started looking at clock dividers and then potentially thinking about a small eurorack case

Anyone have a good case to recommend for it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Picked up an SQ-64 today. Accidentally found myself in the synth shop because it was right next to the Midnight Cookie place we wanted to try out. I had sort of seen the SQ-64 before, but last time the shop was busy so I barely got to try it. This time I played around with a bit and really liked it.

I also got around to trying the Mosaic 1U VCO I picked up a few weeks ago. I tried to install the Intellijel USB 1U power modules I got, and discovered those only work with the Intellijel power supply, so those are in the other case that will eventually be for video synth.

I put together a simple loop with some San Francisco Rush voice clips to learn how the SQ-64 works. This I think is exactly what I've been wanting for sequencing.

https://i.imgur.com/4HjlhPX.mp4

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Can anyone recommend a small rechargeable battery-powered speaker with a 3.5 input? I'd use it to push louder PO/Volca sound out at the coffee table and anywhere I don't feel like running power or unwinding headphones. Doesn't need to be totally amazing sound quality, more just for fiddling with beats.

I have a bluetooth UE speaker with an input but it has features I can't turn off, like going to sleep after like 30 seconds of no sound and not waking back up until several seconds of playback. Also it's been going every day for 6 years and could use retirement.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Can anyone tell me if there are any artists or songs where the construction of the sounds are part of the performance?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

echinopsis posted:

Can anyone tell me if there are any artists or songs where the construction of the sounds are part of the performance?

Reggie Watts?

Rolo posted:

Can anyone recommend a small rechargeable battery-powered speaker with a 3.5 input? I'd use it to push louder PO/Volca sound out at the coffee table and anywhere I don't feel like running power or unwinding headphones. Doesn't need to be totally amazing sound quality, more just for fiddling with beats.

I have a bluetooth UE speaker with an input but it has features I can't turn off, like going to sleep after like 30 seconds of no sound and not waking back up until several seconds of playback. Also it's been going every day for 6 years and could use retirement.

I’ve had a Bluetooth+line in Anker speaker for 3 years now that I really like.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

echinopsis posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlYLjkUSkGI

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

not really "of the sounds" I suppose.

e: also stretching the definition of "performance" when you look at one cause that's gotta be full playback, but the costume's worth it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Fc6Ygn6nSA

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Aug 30, 2021

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

echinopsis posted:

I'm not exactly sure what that means. Do you mean like live sampling? Or sound design? Or...?

At a wide enough scope, any live manipulation is "construction of the sounds."

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Ok Comboomer posted:

Reggie Watts?

Thanks man never heard of this dude, it's cool.

rickiep00h posted:

I'm not exactly sure what that means. Do you mean like live sampling? Or sound design? Or...?

At a wide enough scope, any live manipulation is "construction of the sounds."

I mean like, playing analog synths and starting playing with a saw and start shaping it with the filter and the envelopes until it's the sound you want. but this is part of the performance.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Yeah in that case I guess I don't have any specific examples, because I feel like that's basically anyone that plays analog to some extent. I think very few people that used, for example, the VCS3 or original Minimoog, just set one sound and left it that way through an entire song. Pink Floyd's "On the Run" was almost entirely the VCS3 played live.

Lots of artists wiggle knobs live to change the sound, including at the most basic level, filter sweeps. Turntablist DJs literally build songs out of performances. Watching someone build a beat live with sampling is pretty interesting, but I don't know how many people consider fiddling with an MPC to be "performance."

This is all a roundabout way of saying the scope of the question is, to me, too broad.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Ok Comboomer posted:

I’ve had a Bluetooth+line in Anker speaker for 3 years now that I really like.

Saw reviews for one after posting here and now I'm sold. Thanks!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Load up youtube and search for synthesizer tutorials, congrats on your new music genre.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

rickiep00h posted:

This is all a roundabout way of saying the scope of the question is, to me, too broad.

that's ok

guess I'll have to make some myuself to explain what I mnea

xzzy posted:

Load up youtube and search for synthesizer tutorials, congrats on your new music genre.

lol

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

echinopsis posted:

that's ok

Indeed. Make the art you want to see in the world.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

echinopsis posted:

Thanks man never heard of this dude, it's cool.

I mean like, playing analog synths and starting playing with a saw and start shaping it with the filter and the envelopes until it's the sound you want. but this is part of the performance.

It's a cheesy song but do you mean something like the beginning of One by Swedish House Mafia?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkQ5rEJaTmk

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

echinopsis posted:

that's ok

lol

They don't really synthesize much of their sounds, but these guys create and manipulate many of their sounds live on stage https://youtu.be/SbblsPz8toY

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Does it count if I use the mod wheel when I'm playing

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

B33rChiller posted:

They don't really synthesize much of their sounds, but these guys create and manipulate many of their sounds live on stage https://youtu.be/SbblsPz8toY

In a very similar vein: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJM9xpvMbJ0

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

net work error posted:

It's a cheesy song but do you mean something like the beginning of One by Swedish House Mafia?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkQ5rEJaTmk

man i’d forgotten how much swedish house mafia sucks

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

xzzy posted:

Just read the sign and abandon all hope on your way in. You'll be fine.

Which is to say I've given up on hoping for music tutorials to produce good music. Just to demonstrate stuff well, that's all I ask.

I was deliberating on what to try as an electronic drum, thinking of getting a spacedrum, changed my mind and on an impulse I got a Behringer TD-3. I've got a hankering to try to send notes to it via MIDI drum machine and totally disregard whatever you can do with the whack sequencer, just to see if it can make nice noises for drums. And the TD-3 is so cheap RN I can buy more than one and use them individually as drums or whatever. Still want to get a Korg little monosynth but it will have to wait a minute. I guess I've heard the 303 all my life but probably never heard it just used as a tone generator. Please let me know if this is a stupid idea somebody.

ED: Or rather, it's not that I've given up hope of finding good music in a demonstration video entirely, it's just that I'd prefer one that demonstrates effectively. There appear to be a number of 303 clone videos that do at least one of those, sometimes both. Here's one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcC572m8rHs

petit choux fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Aug 30, 2021

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011
Not really sure I understand what youre asking for but,

petit choux posted:

Or rather, it's not that I've given up hope of finding good music in a demonstration video entirely, it's just that I'd prefer one that demonstrates effectively.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ku9iXnOy_fg

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Noise Machine posted:

Bought a Behringer 2600 - Barely lasted a week before I started looking at clock dividers and then potentially thinking about a small eurorack case

Since no one else is answering this, I"ll take a crack at it. Disclaimer - I just started with eurorack back in April, but it's something I've been looking into for a while.

It's all about what you plan on doing and what you mean by "small". There's always the DIY option, you can basically buy rails, a power supply and some wood and build your own if you're into that kind of thing. Do not attempt this as a cost saving measure, this is only something to do if you already have power tools and enjoy building things out of wood. Getting into power tools and woodworking just to save money on a eurorack case is the opposite of saving money.

If you're just looking to own up to 4 modules max, there's the Doepfer A100 Mini Case, which is 32hp and costs $140. Power is built in. That's expensive on a cost per hp basis, though.

Crea8 Audio has the nifty case, it's 84hp, and has power, MIDI, and an audio out jack built-in, most cases don't have all that. The case is $200, and then there's a $270 nifty bundle that includes two modules - Cells, which is a neat looking modulation/sequencer, but the other one, Chipz, is a rather crappy oscillator. You might skip these since you have a 2600 already.

There's the TipTop Happy Ending kit, which isn't enclosed , but can be mounted in a traditional 19" audio rack. That's 84hp and includes a micro zeus power module. It costs $159 altogether.

There's the TipTop Mantis, which gives you two rows of 104hp with power built-in for $335. I wish I got one of these when I started with eurorack back in April.

And then there's "skiff" cases that are basically just box-like enclosures. Some come with power, others don't. I bought the Moog 104hp eurorack case for $99, and then bought a 4ms power module for ~$150. Already, that's $249, no synth modules, no MIDI, no audio. I thought this would be a good idea for future expandability - once I need more than 104hp, I just buy another one, and another power supply. I even chose the 4ms power supply because they can be daisy chained so you only have one power adapter to plug into the wall. This was a bad plan.

Two rows of $249 = $498, whereas the Mantis is $335. Not great. Especially since my 4ms power module is powerful enough to supply up to two rows of 104hp, but the Moog case is completely enclosed, so there's no good way to get the ribbon cable to go from one cases to another short of drilling a big rear end hole into it (which I'm not going to do). Also, each power module takes up 4hp. Once you have a few modules, you realize how valuable hp is.

Of course, there's other skiffs and other power options out there. For example, Behringer has a 104hp skiff-style case that's $20 cheaper than the Moog, but not as deep, but I'm having depth problems as-is with my Moog case, so I don't recommend an even shallower case.

There's a Make Noise skiff that includes power for $250, but the power only accommodates up to 10 modules, versus the Erica Synths powered skiff that's $349 but has enough power slots for 30 modules. (You can tell who manufactures a bunch of 2hp "pico" modules.)

And of course there's more options out there as you get into bigger and nicer cases, going all the way into the thousands of dollars, but I'm just looking at the kind of stuff I myself would entertain. I plan on buying modules and expanding my system until I literally die. This is my midlife crisis and retirement all wrapped up into one, instead of sports cars or golf or something, so for me, buying 208hp worth of cases at a time for as cheaply cost effective as possible makes sense. However, if you just want a few modules to augment your 2600 and don't want to fall down the Eurorack rabbit hole, something like the Doepfer Mini Case or the Happy Ending Kit might make more sense.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Noise Machine posted:

a paper grocery bag with ULI SUCKS scrawled on the side in what may/may not be blood

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

Since no one else is answering this, I"ll take a crack at it. Disclaimer - I just started with eurorack back in April, but it's something I've been looking into for a while.

It's all about what you plan on doing and what you mean by "small". There's always the DIY option, you can basically buy rails, a power supply and some wood and build your own if you're into that kind of thing. Do not attempt this as a cost saving measure, this is only something to do if you already have power tools and enjoy building things out of wood. Getting into power tools and woodworking just to save money on a eurorack case is the opposite of saving money.

If you're just looking to own up to 4 modules max, there's the Doepfer A100 Mini Case, which is 32hp and costs $140. Power is built in. That's expensive on a cost per hp basis, though.

Crea8 Audio has the nifty case, it's 84hp, and has power, MIDI, and an audio out jack built-in, most cases don't have all that. The case is $200, and then there's a $270 nifty bundle that includes two modules - Cells, which is a neat looking modulation/sequencer, but the other one, Chipz, is a rather crappy oscillator. You might skip these since you have a 2600 already.

There's the TipTop Happy Ending kit, which isn't enclosed , but can be mounted in a traditional 19" audio rack. That's 84hp and includes a micro zeus power module. It costs $159 altogether.

There's the TipTop Mantis, which gives you two rows of 104hp with power built-in for $335. I wish I got one of these when I started with eurorack back in April.

And then there's "skiff" cases that are basically just box-like enclosures. Some come with power, others don't. I bought the Moog 104hp eurorack case for $99, and then bought a 4ms power module for ~$150. Already, that's $249, no synth modules, no MIDI, no audio. I thought this would be a good idea for future expandability - once I need more than 104hp, I just buy another one, and another power supply. I even chose the 4ms power supply because they can be daisy chained so you only have one power adapter to plug into the wall. This was a bad plan.

Two rows of $249 = $498, whereas the Mantis is $335. Not great. Especially since my 4ms power module is powerful enough to supply up to two rows of 104hp, but the Moog case is completely enclosed, so there's no good way to get the ribbon cable to go from one cases to another short of drilling a big rear end hole into it (which I'm not going to do). Also, each power module takes up 4hp. Once you have a few modules, you realize how valuable hp is.

Of course, there's other skiffs and other power options out there. For example, Behringer has a 104hp skiff-style case that's $20 cheaper than the Moog, but not as deep, but I'm having depth problems as-is with my Moog case, so I don't recommend an even shallower case.

There's a Make Noise skiff that includes power for $250, but the power only accommodates up to 10 modules, versus the Erica Synths powered skiff that's $349 but has enough power slots for 30 modules. (You can tell who manufactures a bunch of 2hp "pico" modules.)

And of course there's more options out there as you get into bigger and nicer cases, going all the way into the thousands of dollars, but I'm just looking at the kind of stuff I myself would entertain. I plan on buying modules and expanding my system until I literally die. This is my midlife crisis and retirement all wrapped up into one, instead of sports cars or golf or something, so for me, buying 208hp worth of cases at a time for as cheaply cost effective as possible makes sense. However, if you just want a few modules to augment your 2600 and don't want to fall down the Eurorack rabbit hole, something like the Doepfer Mini Case or the Happy Ending Kit might make more sense.

Yeah, I've always wondered if I could get an enclosure for one or a small number of those cool rackmount modules you see nowadays. So many of those things seem like they'd make great pedals. In fact I appear to be experiencing some sexual arousal at the sight of that Doepfer A-100 box. That's a good lookin' box right there.

petit choux fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Aug 31, 2021

ricecult
Oct 2, 2012

Not synth, but pretty classic.
https://youtu.be/fAxHlLK3Oyk

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Thanks people for the recommendations.. there's something in there I am sure lol.

Another question

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUXX-6uOOhY&t=110s

I've tried to time stamp at 1;50 where this synth solo comes in. at least I think its synth.

anyway, I have no idea how I'd even begin to make that sound. it's fuckin glorious.

any tips roughly how you'd go about making that?

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

pretty sure that’s a guitar

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

watho posted:

pretty sure that’s a guitar

If it is, that's the most even vibrato I've ever heard.

From my phone speaker it sounds like maybe a drawbar organ through a cocked wah or maybe a minimoog with chorus/phase.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

petit choux posted:

Just read the sign and abandon all hope on your way in. You'll be fine.

Which is to say I've given up on hoping for music tutorials to produce good music. Just to demonstrate stuff well, that's all I ask.

I was deliberating on what to try as an electronic drum, thinking of getting a spacedrum, changed my mind and on an impulse I got a Behringer TD-3. I've got a hankering to try to send notes to it via MIDI drum machine and totally disregard whatever you can do with the whack sequencer, just to see if it can make nice noises for drums. And the TD-3 is so cheap RN I can buy more than one and use them individually as drums or whatever. Still want to get a Korg little monosynth but it will have to wait a minute. I guess I've heard the 303 all my life but probably never heard it just used as a tone generator. Please let me know if this is a stupid idea somebody.

ED: Or rather, it's not that I've given up hope of finding good music in a demonstration video entirely, it's just that I'd prefer one that demonstrates effectively. There appear to be a number of 303 clone videos that do at least one of those, sometimes both. Here's one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcC572m8rHs

For what it's worth, I've seen at least a couple of (paid) third-party drum synth plugins for the Korg little monosynth.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

rickiep00h posted:

If it is, that's the most even vibrato I've ever heard.

From my phone speaker it sounds like maybe a drawbar organ through a cocked wah or maybe a minimoog with chorus/phase.

Quoting myself to say that I'm pretty sure it's a Nord Stage 3 on a mellow B3 setting. How I came to this conclusion is this:

You can hear the tiniest little clicks at the start of each note, which is emulating the click of a percussion drawbar organ. Given the relatively mellow overall sound of the tone with just a smidge of high end overtones, it leads me to believe said drawbars are in a bit of a scooped shape, missing most of the upper mids. The pitch bending is very precise, and the Nord has (in my opinion) a particularly quirky return to center. The only thing I'm not real sure about is the effects, which I think is a combination of a Leslie and another LFO, the latter of which is controlled by the mod wheel.

The basics of the sound have been around for a long time; Hammond B3s and Hammond-like synth recreations and emulations go back to the beginning of electronic instruments. So the short answer on where to start is: study the Hammond, friend.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

are there any clones or things that sound like the EML-101? looking for that pinkerton b-side sound (see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2dosVRzLSM)

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Lead out in cuffs posted:

For what it's worth, I've seen at least a couple of (paid) third-party drum synth plugins for the Korg little monosynth.

Yeah well I hope so because it remains on my list. But I'm pretty geeked RN about sending MIDI notes to the TD-3 with a drum brain RN. And when I scratch a few more dollars together I'll get the Korg too. But RN I've just spent my mad money on a Yamaha Silent Brass mute for my trumpet, which I've been wanting to try with the Boss SY-300. I tried making my own mute and it isn't satisfactory, I thought maybe these guys might have a solution, I dunno. I'd also like to simply try the Electro-Sonix Mono Synth pedal with a trumpet, it sounds like a good fit.

petit choux fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Sep 2, 2021

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

All right, I went ahead and decided to live in a barrel and sell sexual favors for October and buy a Korg NTS-1. So come on down by the barrel and check out my new synthesizer with me!

petit choux fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Sep 2, 2021

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Thereupon many statesmen and philosophers came to Alexander with their congratulations, and he expected that Diogenes of Sinope also, who was tarrying in Corinth, would do likewise. But since that philosopher took not the slightest notice of Alexander, and continued to enjoy his leisure in the suburb Craneion, Alexander went in person to see him, and he found him lying in the sun. Diogenes raised himself up a little when he saw so many people coming towards him, and fixed his eyes upon Alexander. And when that monarch addressed him with greetings, and asked if he wanted anything, "Yes," said Diogenes, "A Yamaha CS-80"

It is said that Alexander was so struck by this, and admired so much the haughtiness and grandeur of the man who had nothing but scorn for him, that he said to his followers, who were laughing and jesting about the philosopher as they went away, "But truly, if I were not Alexander, I wish I were Diogenes."

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Talk about "my turn in the barrel" drat.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Bought a used sh01a to pair with the digitakt. When it heated up it smelled like animal pee. Returned it and got a blofeld, which is awesome except now on day 3 I'm running into the infamous "hosed up encoder" problem, on a brand new synth. If the firmware update doesn't change this then it looks like I'm back to cruising for synth modules on Amazon:(

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
The firmware update fixes it usually, sometimes they need more debounce, the fix isn’t hard.
Like most waldorfs it’s worth dealing with the quirks, imo. You’ll also run into patch-dependent lagginess in multi mode, patch-dependent (unknowable via the UI) polyphony limits, MIDI sync’d LFO and FX that don’t or do so wrongly. All regular rear end Waldorf.

No idea why softsynths and workstation boards are so popular. :v:

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.
Ooh, there's a bunch of updates for the Korg Wavestate, including bring-your-own-samples:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBCSvTLYF1Q

Now I can pretend I'm going to use it more and instead if I'm lucky get the new firmware installed. It does have some beautiful presets though.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Startyde posted:

The firmware update fixes it usually, sometimes they need more debounce, the fix isn’t hard.
Like most waldorfs it’s worth dealing with the quirks, imo. You’ll also run into patch-dependent lagginess in multi mode, patch-dependent (unknowable via the UI) polyphony limits, MIDI sync’d LFO and FX that don’t or do so wrongly. All regular rear end Waldorf.

No idea why softsynths and workstation boards are so popular. :v:

the real things costing thousands of dollars and coating your entire basement in patch cables would be a reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

landgrabber posted:

the real things costing thousands of dollars and coating your entire basement in patch cables would be a reason

Gotta fill out the background for your vlogs somehow.