Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
I also now have claim on an HP 3000-917LX, which is one of the early PA-RISC based HP 3000 systems. It’s about the size of a big tower PC and can run MPE prior to release 7. (It’s essentially an HP 9000-800 series system with a different I/O board, firmware, and operating system.)

HP’s MPE looks like an interesting minicomputer operating system, as it underwent parallel evolution with UNIX and the DEC operating systems through the 1980s and then got some POSIX support in the 1990s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Well, finally finished my fairly simple home server setup. I've got an old laptop with an i7 8550U and 16 gigs of ram and a 500 gig ssd running an instance of OMV that using as the graphical front end from managing the Debian based OS that the docker instance that I have a dozen or so containers running in. Then I have a Synology 920+ with 20tb of usable space and 1 drive redundancy running an SMB share over the network that is mounted to my laptop server.

I'm using SMR drives in the Synology because I had them on hand so free storage, and they seem to work well enough since I'm running any high random IO services directly off the SSD on the laptop.

I do kind of which I had installed proxmox (or some other hypervisor) on the laptop and then did my OS for docker as a VM so it would be easier to backup the instance for recovery later if I needed, but I'm kind of too deep into this setup now to go loving around with that now. Maybe if I get another server in the future I'll go with that setup.

On the plus side, this whole giddup is almost completely silent, except for the drive noise from the Synology. And I effectively have a UPS due to the battery in the laptop, so that's cool.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

CommieGIR posted:

My toddler helped install the new 230v UPS in the lab, also gave me a chance to install the rails for a couple of the servers

Too cute! Needs a little door badge on one of those retractable cord things :D

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

My ultimate "what the hell do I need this for" homelab kit white whale is a Tandem/HPE NonStop :haw:

I honestly can't think of a more esoteric platform with less available "enthusiast" information than NonStop.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Aug 27, 2021

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
I'm moving to a new house soonish it looks like. There is a single large [~20x20] unfinished room with 16 foot ceilings in the middle of the basement.
+ Smallish alcove next to the mechanical stuff--HVAC and water heater. My rack is going to go here, or in this room, generally.

It'll probably also end up being my electronics tinker space. I'm thinking 4, 20A circuits spread evenly around the rest of the joists. I haven't gotten a look at the breaker box yet but I'm pretty sure it can support most of this without adding a slave. ~3500 sqft total.

Question: is getting a 30A L6 30A service or something more, even! for the PDUs installed worth it [let alone redundant, and I never plan on adding generator power to this house]?
'Cause this hunky motherfucker looks DIVINE https://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-Outlets-Rack-Mount-PDU1230/dp/B0057R36HK?th=1

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Martytoof posted:

My ultimate "what the hell do I need this for" homelab kit white whale is a Tandem/HPE NonStop :haw:

I honestly can't think of a more esoteric platform with less available "enthusiast" information than NonStop.

Hell yeah Tandem!

I had a Tandem recruiter literally stop me on the street on CMU’s campus and try to pitch me to come work for them, probably because I was wearing some sort of computer T-shirt. This would’ve been like May or June 1995.

bad boys for life
Jun 6, 2003

by sebmojo

Crunchy Black posted:

I'm moving to a new house soonish it looks like. There is a single large [~20x20] unfinished room with 16 foot ceilings in the middle of the basement.
+ Smallish alcove next to the mechanical stuff--HVAC and water heater. My rack is going to go here, or in this room, generally.

It'll probably also end up being my electronics tinker space. I'm thinking 4, 20A circuits spread evenly around the rest of the joists. I haven't gotten a look at the breaker box yet but I'm pretty sure it can support most of this without adding a slave. ~3500 sqft total.

Question: is getting a 30A L6 30A service or something more, even! for the PDUs installed worth it [let alone redundant, and I never plan on adding generator power to this house]?
'Cause this hunky motherfucker looks DIVINE https://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-Outlets-Rack-Mount-PDU1230/dp/B0057R36HK?th=1

I had a 30A installed for my home lab, but Im running most of a rack and a VR lab. My power bill is over $500/month.

I strongly recommend NOT following in my footsteps of more power unless youre single. My wife isnt happy with the fan noise or the bills.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

bad boys for life posted:

I had a 30A installed for my home lab, but Im running most of a rack and a VR lab. My power bill is over $500/month.

I strongly recommend NOT following in my footsteps of more power unless youre single. My wife isnt happy with the fan noise or the bills.

This is also me, I have a 45 Amp 230v Service for the homelab right now the, my electricity is running about $350-$375 a month but a lot of that is our home AC. the lab itself is about $150-175

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Holy poo poo how is that worth it to you guys?

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

cage-free egghead posted:

Agree.

It's part of why I'm on team "low power NUC or Raspberry-Pi-esque poo poo" for my home lab stuff.

Having previously managed small clusters, I love a rack. But electricity is expensive in my area and my needs are not so great.

But I do really want a rack full of blades goddammit.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

CommieGIR posted:

This is also me, I have a 45 Amp 230v Service for the homelab right now the, my electricity is running about $350-$375 a month but a lot of that is our home AC. the lab itself is about $150-175

I got a new desktop and didn’t get rid of my old one or the $11 laptop (from the EBB law). I also have 2 to 4 led lamps on depending on time of day (horrible vision issues). Finally my big screen has an Apple TV box sitting on my dresser either running a beautiful slideshow all day unless I crank up the RPi 0w after a power flicker.

I have everything in the house networked together, including my folks’ tablets and Apple TV box. This is why I found this thread in the first place, but a lot of stuff is waaaay over my head.

Why do I bring this up here? Mainly it’s because my AC is set on 70°/F and the room stays cool while gaming. I figured the data from the start of quarantine and even with bare-bones, consumer hobby-ish hardware and basic (secure) networked system, I’m pushing the electric utilities up by $100-$120 a month (mostly the AC costs). I really can’t imagine the power you folks use at home, much less cooling and powering a corporate grid. Basically, I’m a jealous nerd is what I’m saying! :-)

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Also this stuff largely doesn't need to run 24x7, all I have running constantly is the firewall and an unraid box that serves plex to friends and family. I've deliberately not migrated that to the enterprise gear so I don't need all this poo poo running all the time.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

bad boys for life posted:

Eh, the girlfriend acceptance factor is a non-issue, she let me run a quarter rack of this stuff in a 2 bedroom apartment a couple of years ago. She knows I come with the rack lol. This will be an upgrade as it gets it completely in its own room she never has to look at.

Folding at home is where most of the power consumption comes from and has been where all the growth has been in the last couple of years other than a shift to ubiquiti.
Other than that, 20TB of 10G networked storage and a single-CPU haswell xeon box for tinkering with vms and containers.

Everything else is in there because its cool or old and rarely gets powered on. Think xServes and xServe RAIDs, Powervault MD, Tape Drives, Cisco stuff to lab with, etc.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Because I can write off the electricity usage on training/job expenses on taxes, and the stuff I simulate needs a lot of capacity to do. Ironically, they actually don't use that much normally, and some months there's not much to write off.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Aug 31, 2021

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
What do you do that you can write off personal homelab stuff like that?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

What do you do that you can write off personal homelab stuff like that?

Security Engineering and Security Research. I work full time for one company but I do consulting on the side and cover it under my consulting billing.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Aug 31, 2021

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I'm probably going to run a dedicated circuit for a rack as well as one for my desktop and other stuff. My basement is half-finished and right now there's no actual power outlet in the place I want my PC setup to be, so I've got the UPS cord stretched all the way around the corner to another room and then all the PC stuff stretched all the way to the UPS. It's sharing a circuit with a dehumidifier and two 5 cu-ft chest freezers and the power quality just is not great, it really needs its own circuit, and then I'd like one on 230V for the rack as well.

I don't intend to be maxing it out all the time though, I have super expensive electricity ($0.20/kWh). Maybe one of these years I'll get a solar setup, but my electrical provider no longer does net metering so the financials here aren't great even with expensive electricity.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Crunchy Black posted:

Everything else is in there because its cool or old and rarely gets powered on. Think xServes and xServe RAIDs, Powervault MD, Tape Drives, Cisco stuff to lab with, etc.

Get an HP Itanium2 on which to run VMS and an HP A500 on which to run MPE/iX!

It’s too bad you can’t buy an XKL TOAD-2 for love or money, then you could also run TOPS-20!

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
It's not quite the same, but I think SDF still has a publicly accessible TOPS-20 instance at twenex.org, though it's running on KLH10 rather than real hardware.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Yeah unfortunately the Itanium stuff is never going to reach even ironic collector status because every enterprise that actually runs the stuff is freaking out about EOL and buying up all the stock off eBay they can...just checked prices, and hooo boy.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Crunchy Black posted:

Yeah unfortunately the Itanium stuff is never going to reach even ironic collector status because every enterprise that actually runs the stuff is freaking out about EOL and buying up all the stock off eBay they can...just checked prices, and hooo boy.

I’m lucky to have gotten in before this. My rx2620 runs VMS on two 1.6GHz lower-end CPUs quite happily, though I want to swap in a pair of the higher-end multicore/high-cache processors eventually.

I still need to acquire the latest firmware, to cut down on fan noise.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Is this one of those where HP puts it behind a support paywall?

Wait it's HP why am I even asking

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

Is it worth getting a refurb SFF system as a starter system? Right now I'm using a RPi 4 for some dockers (SWAG, Home Assistant, etc) and it's working, but I would like to have something a bit better as well as moving off of a sd card based device. I was thinking about something like a Lenovo Thinkcentre with an i5 in it. Or should I stick with the Pi and switch it to using a SSD drive instead?

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

diremonk posted:

Is it worth getting a refurb SFF system as a starter system? Right now I'm using a RPi 4 for some dockers (SWAG, Home Assistant, etc) and it's working, but I would like to have something a bit better as well as moving off of a sd card based device. I was thinking about something like a Lenovo Thinkcentre with an i5 in it. Or should I stick with the Pi and switch it to using a SSD drive instead?

I’ve got one - a dell optiplex variant of some sort. Works well enough. Depends on your budget.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
SFF and USFF are perfect homelabs. Nothing wrong with them in the least.

Poopelyse
Jan 22, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

rufius posted:

I’ve got one - a dell optiplex variant of some sort. Works well enough. Depends on your budget.

same. i nabbed a SFF optiplex from craigslist for $50 (8th gen i5 so pretty good deal!) and it's much much quicker than the old laptop i had been using. ubuntu running on an ssd and 5tb of (external) storage. fits nicely on my desk and I think the power supply is fairly low wattage. pretty happy with the setup

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Lost my faithful i7-4790ES machine yesterday to a power surge.

Anyone have a recommendation for a MATX motherboard that is sub-$300 and has some kind of decent IPMI? I am open to buying something used. I don't need to support a ton of cores, just something that would ideally be an upgrade from the old one. I'm not tied to either AMD or Intel.

e: X470D4U

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Sep 3, 2021

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
Any particular ipmi features you're hunting for?

I've got the X470D4U in one of my boxes, let me know if you have any questions about it.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Supermicro X10DRi(x) with a cheap eBay proc is probably your best bang/buck/watt homelab solution with IPMI at the moment.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Actuarial Fables posted:

Any particular ipmi features you're hunting for?

I've got the X470D4U in one of my boxes, let me know if you have any questions about it.

Just need pre-os booted KVM sometimes, figured I'd buy a motherboard that can do it since I need a new one anyway. :)

Crunchy Black posted:

Supermicro X10DRi(x) with a cheap eBay proc is probably your best bang/buck/watt homelab solution with IPMI at the moment.

Is that the right model number? The ones I found are eATX :(

Joe Chip
Jan 4, 2014
What do people use for backup for home labs? I've got a 1U PowerEdge that I use as a combo router/Time Machine backup/NAS. It's set up with FreeBSD ZFS and RAID-Z2 (RAID 6) so I can tolerate drive failures but I'm interested in tape backup. Unfortunately all the rack mounted tape drives I can find are $3000+. Is there a cheap alternative for backup or should I just invest in more drives in case mine fail?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

more drives

also remote encrypted storage for offsite critical backup (S3, Linode, whatever)

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Backups? In my homelab? I don't think so, no sirree.

Joe Chip
Jan 4, 2014

eschaton posted:

more drives

also remote encrypted storage for offsite critical backup (S3, Linode, whatever)

I don't know why I didn't think of cloud providers. It looks like S3 Glacier is a perfect solution since none of my data is time critical and it will only cost ~$200 to retrieve data in the event of a complete failure which is a bargain compared to tape drive prices.

Also bought a couple extra drives just to be safe.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Joe Chip posted:

I don't know why I didn't think of cloud providers. It looks like S3 Glacier is a perfect solution since none of my data is time critical and it will only cost ~$200 to retrieve data in the event of a complete failure which is a bargain compared to tape drive prices.

Also bought a couple extra drives just to be safe.

For me, BackBlaze. Though my usecases are segmented between file archival and then “toy poo poo that doesn’t matter at all”. The two groups of machines are entirely unrelated.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
imagine not having an immutable homeland smh my head

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

BlackMK4 posted:

Just need pre-os booted KVM sometimes, figured I'd buy a motherboard that can do it since I need a new one anyway. :)

Is that the right model number? The ones I found are eATX :(

missed the ATX requirement. There are x11 boards for the desktop xeons that are ATX that should work.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
~ Kramers into the thread ~

Did someone say "home lab"?

I just finished re-casing three of my servers and adding a 120mm fan to a switch to make it all run cooler and quieter. This kit acts as DR for a couple of customers from my moonlighting gig so it all floats in the pro-sumer realm of redundancy. Plus it all becomes tax deductible!

- Dell PowerConnect 6248
- Dell Force10 S4810 10gig switch
- Sonicwall NSA4500 firewall
- ESX2 (vMware 6.7)
- FreeNAS iSCSI / NFS target
- Windows 2016 fileserver
- Dell Powerconnect 2716 (unused)
- KVM switch
- monitor / keyboard
- ESX1 (vMware 6.7)
- Backup server
- Folding@Home server
- APC UPS2200
- APC UPS1000
- APC UPS1000
- APC UPS1500

Yes, this tacks on an addition $150 to my power bill each month. Yes, it keeps my garage a toasty 80-90F all year round. Yes, my wife hates the noise.

I posted this in response to the backup talk. My backup setup is to do a nightly scan of all files for any with the archive bit set, then copy those files to an S3 bucket that has intelligent tiering enabled. Once a month a script launches on my file server that powers on the backup server via IPMI , which then launches backup scripts that backs up a couple of databases, some VMs, a full backup of the file server, some NFS snapshots, sends an email report of any errors, then shuts itself down.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
I'm the cdrs hanging by a nail in yur wall

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
Hah! Right? I got sick of having CDs rattling around and I kept knocking the spindle I was using to the floor. So a nail in the wall it is.

Works great, too