Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Playing Below Zero with the VR mod after playing through the 1st game a while ago in VR. Subnautica in VR is THE greatest gaming experience I've ever had. Why are all games not underwater?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

jarlywarly posted:

Why are all games not underwater?

Usually it’s just the studios developing them

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Bad Munki posted:

Usually it’s just the studios developing them

Perfection :stare::hf::dadjoke:

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I'm laying in bed reading this and while I've had a fair amount of fun with one grapple arm, this phrasing reminded me that it's probably possible to equip two and I'm going to have to remember that's a thing tomorrow.

It is absolutely doable and if you've got your rhythm down you can snare and toss in sequence for some really good speed.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Is there a mod that lets me answer the radio from anywhere?
That would be a useful thing.

e: Hmmmm, few years old, lets hope it works

https://www.nexusmods.com/subnautica/mods/351

e2: omg its so much better being able to receive sunbeam stuff without having to keep running back, only to find out its not sunbeam.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Aug 25, 2021

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

OgNar posted:

Is there a mod that lets me answer the radio from anywhere?
That would be a useful thing.

e: Hmmmm, few years old, lets hope it works

https://www.nexusmods.com/subnautica/mods/351

e2: omg its so much better being able to receive sunbeam stuff without having to keep running back, only to find out its not sunbeam.

our timing is fantastic because it turns out that literally this month a bunch of people took their mods off nexus in protest of their monetization poo poo so there's a giant void of "the good mods were here" and all you can really find are people's github repositories of zip files and either having to guess what the mods do by name or trying to find old descriptions on wayback archive

in unrelated hindsight I guess it's probably good that i didn't pick now to load up a modded skyrim or something

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

Taerkar posted:

I also had a couple of QoL mods to make the Prawn easier to use, namely being able to access its upgrades and inventory while inside of it, allowing for me to swap out arms with ease.

Even unmodded, having spare arms and modules in your Prawn's inventory can be useful. I default to one regular arm, one drill arm, with modules for jump boost, depth, extra storage, and efficient engine. If I dip down into the lava zone, I will swap out the engine efficiency module for a thermal recharge module from its storage. If I'm going back to base and my inventory is full, I have a grappling hook arm in its storage to replace the regular arm. They only take 1 inventory slot so it's not a big deal storage-wise.

The grappling hook is kind of janky, but in the long run it helps you travel a lot faster whether it's vertical or horizontal. When you get a real good slingshot and use the jump jets at the right time, you chuck yourself hundreds of meters. And during that Spiderman swang you are going faster than a Seamoth can at top speed.

When I first built the Prawn I was worried I would get it stuck down in a blood trench or something. Between the jump jet module and the grappling hook you can't get yourself stuck anywhere. It's a little more clumsy than a Seamoth, but perfectly capable of going anywhere on the map.

The other thing that surprised me when I tried the Prawn the first time is how robust it is in combat. Even with just the default arms you can punch a bone shark to death in like 2 seconds. The PDA wasn't kidding when it said that first time users get delusions of grandeur and think they're invincible inside the suit.

My Seamoth is named "G H O S T". It floats over the landscape, (hopefully) unnoticed. Once my Prawn punched a 20 foot long shark to death (and then I added a drill hand that is even stronger) I decided to christen it "RIP AND TEAR" because

Ubik_Lives
Nov 16, 2012
I think the leviathans being less threatening than they would otherwise appear is to maintain a constant sense of fear in most players who will steer clear of them (and won't get into prawn boxing matches with them). The game paradoxically wants players to constantly fear death, but also for death to be not a significant inconvenience (possibly due to the random buggy deaths that can occur). So the leviathans will hit you for massive damage and throw your seamoth like a frisbee, but then let you get away so players will feel like they just cheated death and will be more cautious in the future.

I think it's clever design that helped maintain the atmosphere. On my first playthrough I was terrified of dying constantly, but never died once. If the game did kill me a bunch of times, I think it would have cheapened the overall experience.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Ubik_Lives posted:

I think the leviathans being less threatening than they would otherwise appear is to maintain a constant sense of fear in most players who will steer clear of them (and won't get into prawn boxing matches with them). The game paradoxically wants players to constantly fear death, but also for death to be not a significant inconvenience (possibly due to the random buggy deaths that can occur). So the leviathans will hit you for massive damage and throw your seamoth like a frisbee, but then let you get away so players will feel like they just cheated death and will be more cautious in the future.

I think it's clever design that helped maintain the atmosphere. On my first playthrough I was terrified of dying constantly, but never died once. If the game did kill me a bunch of times, I think it would have cheapened the overall experience.

That is, admittedly, fair. I'm probably a bit of an odd duck when it comes to any game involving "horror" because as soon as it gets to the "you have no defense, just run" parts I'll usually end up just sitting there and getting caught or dying so I can see what happens, how far the aggro range is, how fast it moves, if it does anything that I should know about while I'm running away, if there's any button mashing or QTEs to get uncaught, if this is a scripted event that can't actually kill you, and so on, and so forth.

My spouse hates watching me play horror games.

e: Also speaking of prawn boxing matches, I decided to put a base in a spot where a ghost leviathan kept giving me trouble, and "clinging to the back of it with a grapple hook while punching it in the head" took far too long but was surprisingly fun regardless. I felt like I needed to find a cowboy hat to equip afterwards.

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Aug 25, 2021

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
Lost a pretty decently far along hard mode game last night in Below Zero, reminding me why I shouldn’t play this in hard mode.

It wasn’t a bug at least, just my stupidity for playing probably an hour past when I should have and making a bad call, but drat losing that progress is surprisingly depressing. I’ll probably switch to reg survival and just make the call myself if I die again, since I get the feeling it will be a bug the next time and I’ll be too annoyed to start over.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Aug 30, 2021

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
So what was the deal with all the other survivors from the crash? I remember some radio messages that implied they were being hunted down by something, but never saw any more info on that

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Eschatos posted:

So what was the deal with all the other survivors from the crash? I remember some radio messages that implied they were being hunted down by something, but never saw any more info on that

You know how you got knocked out at the beginning? You were out for 3 full hours.

During that time, well...:stare:

Later on, or maybe already, you'll get a radio message from the warper hive mind, stating they got rid of everyone else and there's one subject unaccounted for.

That'd be you.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

You know how you got knocked out at the beginning? You were out for 3 full hours.

During that time, well...:stare:

Later on, or maybe already, you'll get a radio message from the warper hive mind, stating they got rid of everyone else and there's one subject unaccounted for.

That'd be you.

I don't think that's quite right. All of the other survivors died from normal poo poo like being too deep or their fabricator being busted or landing near reaper leviathans.

None of them were around long enough to be seriously infected by the virus, which is what triggers the warpers to attack. The warpers initially ignore you, too, and only attack later in the game as your infection gets worse and you keep poking your nose into the alien bases.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Inferior Third Season posted:

I don't think that's quite right.

Both/and, I feel. The voiceover is rather clear about your friends being hunted; they where probably infected since they hopped in the water before you did. You kinda have to suspend some disbelief about how time scales, it's a video game.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
you also sort of have to suspend some disbelief about how omniscient the warpers are; if they didn't kill everyone explicitly then they somehow have perfect(ish) knowledge about who's dead and who managed to escape from their lifepod (based on the radio transmission talking about how many new targets there are and how many there are later in the game), but despite that perfect knowledge they don't actually know where you actually are

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
Subnautica has a very sparse storytelling voice log, and it does fall apart if you stop and try to figure out why Warpers Ate My Neighbors but on your first playthrough it is dispensed at the perfect horror movie pace. That and the rescue ship go asplode do a great job of letting you know that you're hosed, you are absolutely alone on a hostile alien planet with only your hands and wits to help you survive.

The one that really got me on the first time through is when you first wake up in your pod, and the AI says something like "assistance will be dispatched and you will be rescued in ... ... ... nine, nine, nine, nine, nine, hours." That sets the tone for the rest of the game.

In my current game I still haven't unlocked the Cyclops (8/9 parts ughhh) so I made a deep base at the Cove Tree where I can launch my Prawn into Hell. My Prawn is pimped out with max depth module, thermal generator, grappling arm, mining arm. But I need to go back to the surface and find more wrecks sometime because like I said I don't have a Cyclops yet but I'm also missing the thermal suit. I want to scan all the weird new fauna in Hell Zone!!! Without boiling myself alive!!!!

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

WITCHCRAFT posted:

Subnautica has a very sparse storytelling voice log, and it does fall apart if you stop and try to figure out why Warpers Ate My Neighbors but on your first playthrough it is dispensed at the perfect horror movie pace. That and the rescue ship go asplode do a great job of letting you know that you're hosed, you are absolutely alone on a hostile alien planet with only your hands and wits to help you survive.

The one that really got me on the first time through is when you first wake up in your pod, and the AI says something like "assistance will be dispatched and you will be rescued in ... ... ... nine, nine, nine, nine, nine, hours." That sets the tone for the rest of the game.

In my current game I still haven't unlocked the Cyclops (8/9 parts ughhh) so I made a deep base at the Cove Tree where I can launch my Prawn into Hell. My Prawn is pimped out with max depth module, thermal generator, grappling arm, mining arm. But I need to go back to the surface and find more wrecks sometime because like I said I don't have a Cyclops yet but I'm also missing the thermal suit. I want to scan all the weird new fauna in Hell Zone!!! Without boiling myself alive!!!!

Most of the cyclops parts can be scanned in both area of the Mushroom Forests (Bridge and Hull), and the Engine parts can be found around the Aurora wreck in the Floating Islands.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Getting the thermal module for the Cyclops was incredible, because it meant I didn't necessarily need ion batteries or power cells for when I go down deep, and can still use all of my cool poo poo. Also, I really wish you could make those (the ion power cells) a lot sooner than you can.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

I like how inefficient the fabricator is at extracting the available energy from the ion cubes. The text in the game says something like a single ion cube having enough energy to power a small city for a year, and then the fabricator can only spit out an ion battery with a 5x multiplier compared to slapping together a normal battery from some copper and acid mushrooms.

It fits with the in-game world that the current technology can't handle or fully understand the amazing ancient technology, but it also works from a gameplay perspective. Though, really, by that point in the game, they could have just given you infinite batteries and power cells.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

it was especially fun in the original where a super space battery could power your flashlight for about 20 seconds or you could get a magical alien ultra-battery that could keep it running for a full minute and a half

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

I like how inefficient the fabricator is at extracting the available energy from the ion cubes. The text in the game says something like a single ion cube having enough energy to power a small city for a year, and then the fabricator can only spit out an ion battery with a 5x multiplier compared to slapping together a normal battery from some copper and acid mushrooms.

It fits with the in-game world that the current technology can't handle or fully understand the amazing ancient technology, but it also works from a gameplay perspective. Though, really, by that point in the game, they could have just given you infinite batteries and power cells.
Even when they do enable infinite ion cubes, you still have to sit and wait about 5 minutes real-time for the source to refresh for another three ion cubes or so. At the literal end of the game with nothing left but backtracking for missed items and leaving* anyways so I guess it is mostly just insurance so you can actually build the few ion ion power cells required components of the exit strategy.

Unless you habitually collected enough stuff to not need to backtrack for the cure ingredients, that is. Then it is just leaving on the rocket

But I guess the inadvertent joke there is "even the advanced wonder technology is inefficient as hell"

Section Z fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Aug 31, 2021

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

One aspect I truly love about this game is that it allows me to prepare. I hadn't gone down to the lost river yet, but I knew I had to start looking for it. I did, I found it, and barely made it out alive.

But I knew I had to go back. There was no time limit, no bullshit gatekeeping, I COULD have gone right back. But no... I decided that I was going to spend as much time as I wanted preparing for my huge journey. I made batteries for my gear with 2x extras just in case. I made 3 full sets of power cells for the Cyclops, which I put into a locker near the engine room, specially for hot-switching them out when needed (this was all before I got the thermal thing that recharges everything). I had food planted, SO many extra torpedoes.

Like it felt so good, so immersive, that I was solely responsible for my success or failure, based on just how much boy-scouting ("Always Be Prepared") I was doing, and nowhere in the game did it tell me to do any of this.

There was no bullshit checklist (not saying the rocket and platform are bullshit, they're not, that's a specific objective. There was no guide. It was "you know what you need, generally, you have a good idea of the crazy poo poo you'll get into, and you have all the time in the world to prepare as you see fit."

That's when I knew that this was one of my favourite games of all time. :kiss:

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Subnautica really is at its best when confronting you with the unknown. Making sure you're well-prepared of what could lie in wait and keeping wary of what could be a threat is when it really shines. In reality, mechanically, the game isn't that hard - leviathans aren't all that dangerous and you can just straight-up swim to the main destinations if you know where you're going, but as long as you don't have that knowledge the feeling of intrepid exploring is so good.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
I don't really get the thing about backtracking for the cure ingredients. Portals to every ingredient are right there in the base, each one takes you to within a few meters of the thing you need to get.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

I don't really get the thing about backtracking for the cure ingredients. Portals to every ingredient are right there in the base, each one takes you to within a few meters of the thing you need to get.

I didn't backtrack for those, but goddamn, did I have to backtrack for the rocket stuff.

Geodude
Mar 21, 2004

Geodude used Reply to Thread! It's super effective!

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

I also would have never come across the koosh zone my first playthrough if one of the items wasn't there.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Geodude posted:

the koosh zone

:lol: It's so fuzzy, so bushy.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

I opened all those portals the first and maybe second time, but since then I never do since i'd rather not waste time waiting for the thing to recharge so I can drill more.
Rather just use them for batteries.

I think the city sized batteries are actually the things in the room collecting the power.
At least thats what I took away from it.
wait heres a quote

quote:

This system is directly converting local thermal energy into electric current at 90% efficiency. Most of this energy is being stored in the battery-like devices within the plant itself, each of which holds enough to power a small city for a year.
https://subnautica.fandom.com/wiki/Alien_Thermal_Plant

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The cubes store "5 kilotons of TNT" worth of energy.

https://subnautica.fandom.com/wiki/Ion_Cube_(Subnautica)

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Where's a decent place to get magnetite in the first game? I'm replaying (first time since early access) and I'm not finding any. It's blocking me from going further into the depths, which is annoying. Also having problems finding the prawn grappling arm and alien containment.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Jesllyshroom caves iirc had tons.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

TTBF posted:

Where's a decent place to get magnetite in the first game? I'm replaying (first time since early access) and I'm not finding any. It's blocking me from going further into the depths, which is annoying. Also having problems finding the prawn grappling arm and alien containment.

Jellyshroom Caves is the hands down magnetite goldmine, so to speak. There a few other spots where you can find a tiny handful, though, mostly on mountain cliffs.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

My fav spot for a base is in the red grass zone right over top a jellyshroom entrance which is next to a downed pod and a wreck.
My scanner pretty much covers everything I need, including teeth.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

OgNar posted:

My fav spot for a base is in the red grass zone right over top a jellyshroom entrance which is next to a downed pod and a wreck.
My scanner pretty much covers everything I need, including teeth.

Same! I built a base near there, and it was great.

And then one day, I picked up a Reaper on my scanner :gonk:

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Same! I built a base near there, and it was great.

And then one day, I picked up a Reaper on my scanner :gonk:

My base in the safe shallows gets Reaper pings, sometimes I just go outside, stand on top of the escape pod, and watch the little dot slowly swim in circles.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

My problem the last few plays have been that Stalkers have been stealing my drones from my scanner room.
I didn't think I was even that close for them to be finding it.
While my scanner picks up teeth I am still pretty far from the creepvine area.
Last time I just pocketed one and put the other a little bit in front of my base.
I really only use them as free base markers.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

OgNar posted:

My problem the last few plays have been that Stalkers have been stealing my drones from my scanner room.
Last time I just pocketed one and put the other a little bit in front of my base.

I built the HUD add-on ASAP and just kind of then considered the cameras as stalker toys.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
I like that below zero makes you craft the scanners to even have any since then you don't have to worry about them immediately getting taken by Sea Monkey.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

OgNar posted:

When I build a scanner room I just take the drones and throw then in the trash. They clutter my HUD and get stolen by stalkers anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

I've got all the blueprints I feel I need except the grappling arm for the prawn. I've searched all over and nothing. Well today I was loving about in the Dunes in the prawn when I came across a big chasm. I knew I couldn't get back up if I jumped down so I was looking for a way across it. Suddenly I hear a roar behind me. I turn around and immediately get grabbed by a reaper. It proceeded to swim me over the chasm I was trying to avoid and then threw me down after it was tired of me drilling and punching it in the face. I landed on a huge wreck which contained one grappling arm fragment.

What's the easiest lost river entrance to drive the cyclops through?