Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Is that sustainable in the UK? I believe it's something to the tune of 700k babies born each year in the UK, judging by my quick googling, but I'm terrible at math and statistics, so I have no idea how uch that number drops when you have 50k less people around to gently caress and make kids.
Like even assuming there are methods to get things down to 50k a year - and I don't know that there are because it seems to me that the only means of getting things more under control than 'not at all' are the same means by which you get to Covid Zero and which the West has rejected - would that not lead to population collapse in a decade or two? Especially since even though only 50k ar edying, a good chunk of the survivors are going to be too brain damaged or erectile dysfunction'd to gently caress.

If anyone in the UK cared about its future they would do something about climate change

Nobody cares about the future in the western world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Oh my God I had no idea it was a quote

open biden

it's JOE-VID

Barry Soteriology
Mar 1, 2020

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

Memes getting bleak a lol and a lmfao I have no more cracks to ping

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Feldegast42 posted:

If anyone in the UK cared about its future they would do something about climate change

Nobody cares about the future in the western world

Oh, I know that. But they're pretending. Like Western politicians either pretend that climate change isn't real, or that their half-assed non-solutions are meaningful. I don't think any liberal has come out and suggested a policy that by their own admission will result in the death of the nation in a few decades but hey, why not?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
VT update for 8/30

71 new cases (134 yesterday)
34 hospitalized (+5 from yesterday)
10 in ICU (+3 from yesterday)
no new deaths

2.6% positive 7-day average

I expect the cases to shoot up into the triple digits again tomorrow when the weekend testing lag ends.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I think shits about to really hit the fan in the next week or so, both with the hospital situation and the crazies living in their own reality. I had nothing to base this on other than that funny feeling.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

skewetoo posted:

There's always a crack to ping

Barry Soteriology
Mar 1, 2020
some time earlier last decade, my standard response when people asked how i was doing turned into making a small shrug and saying "i'm ok." that probably sounds pretty sad, but imagine how the same response sounds now lol

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Koirhor posted:

I think shits about to really hit the fan in the next week or so, both with the hospital situation and the crazies living in their own reality. I had nothing to base this on other than that funny feeling.

I think you have the last 18 months and every single piece of data to base that on.
The poo poo has been hitting the fan for 18 months now and will continue to do so until capital forces Biden's hand or there are so many dead that the disease effectively burns itself out.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Topo Chico Debarge posted:

some time earlier last decade, my standard response when people asked how i was doing turned into making a small shrug and saying "i'm ok." that probably sounds pretty sad, but imagine how the same response sounds now lol

Lol, it drove my therapist nuts that my standard response to that question was, "I'm alright"

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Communist Thoughts posted:

I missed the horse paste thing, I assume its just the hydroquinone or whatever saga again.

But can some kind Goons post any funny bits of this new saga for my amusement?

Seems kinda smart to change the grift med to something where the main side effect is making GBS threads yourself senseless rather than the stuff that makes your heart explode, get more mileage out of the grift that way

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
haha ya, capitalism grinds me to stone because self expression is frowned upon as it interrupts maximum productivity for profit margins, im okay

talking to my capitalist incubated therapist who's only recourse is to fix me up for labor again and learn to live within the system with medication that kills my libido, im fine.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Glumwheels posted:

Now with Berenson gone can Nate go next plz

Imagine Twitter Hell-Banning.

A parallel twitter where Nate, Oster, Zeynep, and tons of other consent-manufacturing libshits would only be able to read and reply to each other's tweets.

~a glorious dream~

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Oh, I know that. But they're pretending. Like Western politicians either pretend that climate change isn't real, or that their half-assed non-solutions are meaningful. I don't think any liberal has come out and suggested a policy that by their own admission will result in the death of the nation in a few decades but hey, why not?

This is one of like 5 existential crises the UK is willingly walking into

All of them we just say we plan to fix them and hope that saying that is enough because if it isn't we're out of ideas

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Is that sustainable in the UK? I believe it's something to the tune of 700k babies born each year in the UK, judging by my quick googling, but I'm terrible at math and statistics, so I have no idea how uch that number drops when you have 50k less people around to gently caress and make kids.
Like even assuming there are methods to get things down to 50k a year - and I don't know that there are because it seems to me that the only means of getting things more under control than 'not at all' are the same means by which you get to Covid Zero and which the West has rejected - would that not lead to population collapse in a decade or two? Especially since even though only 50k ar edying, a good chunk of the survivors are going to be too brain damaged or erectile dysfunction'd to gently caress.

You are correct. If it was 50k a year every year plus Flu's 50k plus natural causes plus cancer plus accidents plus etc, I would total societal collapse of the UK at its current birthrate in about 2 to 3 decades, as the deaths would halt population growth and the lingering sickness would weakeb the nation. Especially when you consider the mass death climate change will bring.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Lord of Pie posted:

Seems kinda smart to change the grift med to something where the main side effect is making GBS threads yourself senseless rather than the stuff that makes your heart explode, get more mileage out of the grift that way

Hey, it doesn't just make you literally poo poo out your intestines, it also makes you go blind.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

skewetoo posted:

if you fully embrace that nothing matters, we're all dust in the wind, life is ephemeral and meaningless, it can liberate you from your feelings of doom and gloom. take time to look around you in your immediate life. look at your pets. look to your loved ones. appreciate the good things in life because they're all that matters because nothing else does.

poo poo may suck for a lot of people in a lot of places in a lot of ways. this is life, and it sucks to face it daily. embrace the grind, accept your futility when it comes to the greater forces of the universe, laugh at the things you can, and try not to feel too down about the horrible poo poo that happens.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Lastgirl posted:

haha ya, capitalism grinds me to stone because self expression is frowned upon as it interrupts maximum productivity for profit margins, im okay

talking to my capitalist incubated therapist who's only recourse is to fix me up for labor again and learn to live within the system with medication that kills my libido, im fine.

Vote

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Delta-Wye posted:

https://twitter.com/dcexaminer/status/1367668000346828806

quite contrary! everyone in power is working very hard, very diligently, in service of virus.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Oh my God I had no idea it was a quote

that's why we gotta keep posting nancy, there's still people who think we're just being weirdos saying open biden, when in fact we are...

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

ram dass in hell posted:

that's why we gotta keep posting nancy, there's still people who think we're just being weirdos saying open biden, when in fact we are...

mocking the poo poo out of a octogenarian capitalist who is killing us for stock tips

open biden?

that means it's now JOE-VID, it's yours! own it!

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Mr. Nice! posted:

if you fully embrace that nothing matters, we're all dust in the wind, life is ephemeral and meaningless, it can liberate you from your feelings of doom and gloom. take time to look around you in your immediate life. look at your pets. look to your loved ones. appreciate the good things in life because they're all that matters because nothing else does.

poo poo may suck for a lot of people in a lot of places in a lot of ways. this is life, and it sucks to face it daily. embrace the grind, accept your futility when it comes to the greater forces of the universe, laugh at the things you can, and try not to feel too down about the horrible poo poo that happens.

You are just transplanting the freedom of futulity often attributed to hell to the modern world. I find that fascinating.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

mod sassinator posted:

for a decision with this much riding on it we can at least see a schedule, like:
T-0: pfizer files for EUA
T+2 days: initial review, possibility it's sent back to start over and fix minor issues in filing
T+2 weeks: collecting feedback internally from various experts/departments
T+3 weeks: potential red flags raised and communicated to pfizer
T+4 weeks: pfizer feedback integrated
T+5 weeks: final approval decision made

this really should not be a *shrug shoulders* we think maybe 5 weeks? dunno?

and lmao i don't buy for a second that "look we can't know any of this or it will totally compromise the vaccine". it's horseshit--30% of people are already refusing to take the vaccine. for an EUA just loving approve it and let people who want it get it now. we will never get those 30% to take the shots, no matter what. we need to stop caring about them period

FDA EUA auth for kids is 6 weeks, minimum, and that's rapidly expedited.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

jisforjosh posted:

Every time I see any update on the Philippines, I instantly think of my Filipino coworker my same age, who doesn't believe in COVID, voted for Trump both times, constantly posts praise for Duterte, and now is posting election material for the son of dictator Ferdinand Marcos

probably just a coincidence

Lol there are thousands of people who are like that

And they vote!

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

jisforjosh posted:

Every time I see any update on the Philippines, I instantly think of my Filipino coworker my same age, who doesn't believe in COVID, voted for Trump both times, constantly posts praise for Duterte, and now is posting election material for the son of dictator Ferdinand Marcos

probably just a coincidence

I thought Duterte just went on TV and literally threatened to kill anyone who wouldn't take the vaccine? Or is internal consistency not your co-worker's strong point?

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
libertarian logic to horse paste be like

I M M O R T A L I T Y

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

Mr. Nice! posted:

Ty Mr Nice :glomp:

Funny seeing your longtime daily inner truth reflected in a common meme. Wow. Things must be going pretty badly for everyone out there! Like a critical mass being reached or something!

Hate being asked how I'm doing lately. How do you think I'm doing? How is anyone doing?

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
ivermectin? of course I have a rectum!

doctor: not anymore

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
My mom is already asking me if I'm visiting for Christmas and when I say it's not looking good, she's telling me I'll know by November. It's just a drat rerun of last year.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Covok posted:

You are just transplanting the freedom of futulity often attributed to hell to the modern world. I find that fascinating.

its the only way i survive faced with the horrors of the world. i've never felt suicidal because of it. i figure i probably would have killed myself otherwise. :unsmith:

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

FYI none of this is actually sustainable. Even if you ignore the population impacts, there really isn't any western society that's equipped to deal with just another endemic and deadly illness like the flu. It's just not realistic. It'll put absolutely everything under constant strain, even if only old people are in mortal danger and young people just get really sick.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
from PyPy:

https://twitter.com/pookleblinky/status/1432346562764607488

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

skewetoo posted:

Ty Mr Nice :glomp:

Funny seeing your longtime daily inner truth reflected in a common meme. Wow. Things must be going pretty badly for everyone out there! Like a critical mass being reached or something!

Hate being asked how I'm doing lately. How do you think I'm doing? How is anyone doing?

it's loving crazy. my uncle died from a stroke/heart failure last week. because of the mass of covid deaths in his area, funeral homes are backed up. his local family was only able to get a meeting with a funeral home because there was a cancellation for this friday. the next appointment was in two months. if we were burying him, it would be three months or more before the service. even with cremation, we'll probably just have a small family gathering at someone's house rather than a funeral at a church or funeral home.

then we look at the world and people are taking livestock medicine because our system has been deliberately allowed to rot to the point that grifter doctors are taken as faithful providers of the truth while government officials and traditional doctors are to be discounted/ignored. this isn't even going on with all of the societal poo poo that's hosed up.

but you know, i can just take a bong rip and go play with my dog or watch my cats tussle for a bit and realize my life is pretty ok. these critters are living their best lives so everything isn't all that bad.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Cup Runneth Over posted:

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1432161188717211649

gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you

YOU'RE KILLING PEOPLE YOU ABSOLUTE HACKS

lol

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

Mr. Nice! posted:

but you know, i can just take a bong rip and go play with my dog or watch my cats tussle for a bit and realize my life is pretty ok. these critters are living their best lives so everything isn't all that bad.

Wisdom :amen: Jah bless

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
the weight of the horrors of the world are far too large for any individual to bear. you gotta shed that burden. does that mean you should be a lovely person who ignores the plights of others? absolutely not. but i'm not changing the world. i can improve my own personal bubble (and i actively advocate everyone to get involved locally), but i'm powerless to change the forces of the universe.

Norton
Feb 18, 2006

Why do New Jersey and New York have significantly higher deaths rates from COVID than Florida does? Is that just lag in reporting deaths in FL? Was NY massively under reporting cases but accurately counting deaths? Is Florida under counting deaths and will that show up in the excess death numbers? Vaccines helping?

This is the data I'm looking at:

New York: 54,751 deaths 2,339,058 cases
Florida: 43,979 deaths 3,246,196 cases

New York: #2 deaths per 1 mil pop. @ 2,814
Florida: #19 deaths per 1 mil pop. @ 2,048

New York: #28 cases per 1 mil pop. @ 120,238
Florida: #3 cases per 1 mil pop. @ 151,142

acems
May 8, 2019

Covok posted:

Here is the thing that I don't get. I went bald too so I cut my hair hyper short so the bald top has as much hair as the sides. Most people can tell but it looks leagues better and professional. Why keep your hair long when your widows peak has crashed into the harbor and is negoitations with the back of the skull to buy out its property?

exactly! of all the ways to look, why would he choose to look like... that

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

Practicing a 1,000 yard stare

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acems
May 8, 2019

btw, we have a local Sign Guy. his name is phil. i want to watch him and nate fight.