Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

Oh gently caress, Dr. Eric Feigl-Ding was unquestionably wrong about something.

https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1432365770902749184?s=20

Spider-Man isn't a mutant. Faith in his infallibility shattered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Both of these things are true, neither of these add up to the chud talking point that Pennsylvania was putting covid patients in nursing homes to die.

You gotta get your head out of team politics

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 368 days!
So should I stop using an n95 with an exhalation valve, I use a neoprene mask over it

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

mastershakeman posted:

Why does that matter at all

Because SOP for hospital discharges everywhere in the world is to discharge a patient to their place of residence.

Sometimes that place of residence is a house. Sometimes it's a SNF (nursing home).

The nursing home industry failed massively and that failure is in large part a failure of the state to regulate them properly and/or regulatory capture, but the lie hinges on the listener assuming that states were putting non-resident covid patients in nursing homes and that didn't happen.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

tenderjerk posted:

So should I stop using an n95 with an exhalation valve, I use a neoprene mask over it
You should stop putting a mask over your good mask. The valve is safer than all cloth and surgical masks for exhalation , it's also better at protecting you and making it so you're comfortable wearing it and keeping you uninfected

goth smoking cloves
Feb 28, 2011

tenderjerk posted:

Stop wearing anything cause covid is over

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

"contact tracing efforts that were once seen as a pillar in the nation’s pandemic response"

and just when the gently caress was that? at what point did we do any contact tracing at all

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

brugroffil posted:

my conspiracy-baked-brained brother is publicly trashing me on facebook for not letting him around my kids, cool cool

uncle magic right here

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Foo Diddley posted:

"contact tracing efforts that were once seen as a pillar in the nation’s pandemic response"

and just when the gently caress was that? at what point did we do any contact tracing at all

we found out lollpalooza only caused 200 cases

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

where o where is it coming fro-

gently caress it everyone has it :shrug:

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Foo Diddley posted:

Chicago didn't finish hiring the contact tracers for spring 2020 until after Halloween of that year

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

tenderjerk posted:

If anyone says anything about the valve just tell them they better stay far away from you then. The game has changed. We don't wear masks to protect each other. We wear masks to protect ourselves. If they're worried about your exhalation valve then they better mask up themselves.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Foo Diddley posted:

Gaslighting to manufacture consent. We tried our best and did all the right things but the virus is just too powerful so we might as well surrender to it and live our lives.
Because that's what America does, it surrenders to unbeatable opponents and pulls out of unwinnable wars. Anyway, up next is a rambling monologue about how awful it is that Biden pulled out of Afghanistan and surrendered to the Taliban.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Both of these things are true, neither of these add up to the chud talking point that Pennsylvania was putting covid patients in nursing homes to die.

Yeah I know, I made a late edit so here:

"Edit: And this occurred in tons of metropolises. Montréal had dozens die at a single nursing care facility in March/April 2020.

I'm sure the PA chuds twisted the truth into "government implanted the covid in suicide bomber old folks to scare us into compliance" or whatever, but that being bullshit doesn't diminish the harm done by neglectful leadership.

It will never happen of course, but manslaughter charges would be justified against...well like half of elected officials that had influence on health care and NPI policies."

Anyways, we're all on the same page in here (or at least the same chapter), and each have our particular grievances which arose from personal experience in our community.

What I'm saying is

It's noon on a Monday
I slept four hours last night
Fedex is delivering 5 Secureclicks within the hour
And I'm chilling four litres of sangria in the fridge
Open Wider, it's time for day-drinking

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Mr. Nice! posted:

if you fully embrace that nothing matters, we're all dust in the wind, life is ephemeral and meaningless, it can liberate you from your feelings of doom and gloom. take time to look around you in your immediate life. look at your pets. look to your loved ones. appreciate the good things in life because they're all that matters because nothing else does.

poo poo may suck for a lot of people in a lot of places in a lot of ways. this is life, and it sucks to face it daily. embrace the grind, accept your futility when it comes to the greater forces of the universe, laugh at the things you can, and try not to feel too down about the horrible poo poo that happens.

Joe-ic philosophy.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

tenderjerk posted:

No. The NYT is loving lying to you

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

McCracAttack posted:

If anyone says anything about the valve just tell them they better stay far away from you then. The game has changed. We don't wear masks to protect each other. We wear masks to protect ourselves. If they're worried about your exhalation valve then they better mask up themselves.

This.

IMO if you are in an area this is actually doing a mask mandate, then if you want to be in the spirit of the law then you should cover the exhale valve with a cheap surgical mask or something.

Anywhere else where mask wearing has dropped to zero, gently caress em all, that mask is for your protection only.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
Kentucky has an almost 14% positive rate. Lol.

Weather Chopper 9
Apr 9, 2007
Your eye in the sky

Foo Diddley posted:

My wife does contact tracing and this past week she called a woman who, when asked to confirm the details of the exposure in question, asked how she knew all this information. When my wife told her she was with the county's contact tracing office, the woman asked, "What's contact tracing?"

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
the Lying New York Times, lie?!?!

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

gradenko_2000 posted:

No. The NYT is loving lying to you

evergreen post

lol I'm so fuckin fried from a poo poo night of sleep, why am I posting so drat much

Apologies for the overposting y'all. Got some of that manic "doing stuff but not necessarily being productive" energy right now.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

never stop posting

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

Zurtilik posted:

there hasn't been a county in Idaho under 10% positive for weeks.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Epic High Five posted:

never stop posting

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
"over"... posting?

Epic High Five posted:

never stop posting

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Lol that they're even still trying. NSW was finding it hard to trace at I think around 500 cases.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
Open Biden!

Headline: Reports: Lee County Elementary instructional aide dies from COVID, 3 school staff hospitalized

https://www.wymt.com/2021/08/29/reports-lee-county-elementary-instructional-aide-dies-covid-3-school-staff-hospitalized/

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

Zurtilik posted:

poo poo, Alabama's over 21%, but at least we're down from our all-time high earlier in the month at 23%.

pigz
Jul 12, 2004

Nearly as overlooked as Joe Mauer
The sad thing about masks is that we so desperately need to move on from people wearing a cloth masks to people wearing actual respirators. I almost feel like a mask mandate at my kids school in the deep south would have very little effect as cloth masks aren't effective over long time periods in crowded classrooms. To say nothing of the type of compliance they would get anyway. Seems only real option is ventilation as administrators hate distancing and masks and parents hate masks and quarantines. Hard to imagine people getting upset about fans, but seems like any mitigation is a hard sell around here.

Barry Soteriology
Mar 1, 2020

Nothus posted:

"over"... posting?

no, overpost, like the halo guy

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
So the former applies to me, but the latter does not, but figure I'd mention it; do we have a thread for helping people find work-from-home opportunities and/or resources for parents pursuing home schooling? As with the mask stuff, both of these seem like useful resources to compile for Goons interested in weathering this without being murdered or maimed.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

eh? contact what?

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:
a lot of you owe us an apology for underposting

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

pigz posted:

The sad thing about masks is that we so desperately need to move on from people wearing a cloth masks to people wearing actual respirators. I almost feel like a mask mandate at my kids school in the deep south would have very little effect as cloth masks aren't effective over long time periods in crowded classrooms. To say nothing of the type of compliance they would get anyway. Seems only real option is ventilation as administrators hate distancing and masks and parents hate masks and quarantines. Hard to imagine people getting upset about fans, but seems like any mitigation is a hard sell around here.

anything other than compulsory mouth spitting is either liberals forcing you to not be free or republicans not understanding the science. open biden!

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

So the former applies to me, but the latter does not, but figure I'd mention it; do we have a thread for helping people find work-from-home opportunities and/or resources for parents pursuing home schooling? As with the mask stuff, both of these seem like useful resources to compile for Goons interested in weathering this without being murdered or maimed.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3977556

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

ram dass in hell posted:

sorry sorry i'm trying to fix it

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Thanks!

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

Schnorkles posted:

if achilles is your local pharmacist selling you immortality with horse paste who is hector in this analogy

ur intestinal lining

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

What the gently caress? When was contact tracing a "pillar" of our pandemic response? Contact tracing utterly failed in the US after maybe a month.

This is a loving lie:

quote:

Since the pandemic began, states have been relying on the practice of contact tracing to track down, notify and monitor those who were exposed to someone who tested positive for the coronavirus.

It is just a straight-up, bald-faced loving lie that this was ever happening at anything approaching a reasonable scale in the US. What the goddamn gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

ram dass in hell posted:

I see that your posting metrics are down this month. Do better.