Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Aren't there also a bunch of angry armed people hiding out in that area? I seem to recall that crossing it is pretty damned dangerous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Why do vitamin supplements give you multiple hundred or even thousands of times the daily value of the vitamin per serving, instead of just 100%?

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Badger of Basra posted:

Why do vitamin supplements give you multiple hundred or even thousands of times the daily value of the vitamin per serving, instead of just 100%?

what 100% is varies by person. some vitamins are easily stored in fat for later use, you can bank vitamins.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

Badger of Basra posted:

More good make ape more better

No really that’s all it is. There’s a lot of pseudoscience about high doses of vitamins being extra good for you (though I will note that there are arguments with slight evidence that the recommendation for certain ones like vitamin D are too low for obese people in particular)

Methanar posted:

what 100% is varies by person. some vitamins are easily stored in fat for later use, you can bank vitamins.

You can bank some vitamins but most excess is excreted.

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit
There are two types of vitamins, water-soluble and fat-soluble. It's almost impossible to overdose on water-soluble vitamins because the excess just passes out in your urine. Fat-soluble vitamins you actually can overdose on and make yourself sick if you take way too much of them, but the amount you'd have to take is still very very high.

Vitamins cost basically nothing to synthesize, so there's no need not to put really high doses in the supplements.

Anyways uhh the only vitamin you should be taking is Vitamin D, everything else is almost certainly very well present in your diet, assuming you live in North America like most of the people on this site (unless you're a vegan or have an eating disorder or something).

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Mafic Rhyolite posted:

Anyways uhh the only vitamin you should be taking is Vitamin D, everything else is almost certainly very well present in your diet, assuming you live in North America like most of the people on this site (unless you're a vegan or have an eating disorder or something).

If you have any nerve issues or nerve pain, or if you just drink a lot, you should also add B12. Especially if vegan.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

ulmont posted:

If you have any nerve issues or nerve pain, or if you just drink a lot, you should also add B12. Especially if vegan.

Yeah my doctor told me to start taking B12 which is what prompted this question, I got a B vitamin complex and one of the other B vitamins on there is like 1300% of the DV per pill

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

You should also consider taking iron supplements if you donate blood, especially if you do a double red blood cell donation. There are lots of solid medical reasons to take supplements, even if you have a normal and healthy diet!

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit
Oh usually when I type that sentence I add something like "or if you have a deficiency or your doctor says to", I just forgot it this time. Iron's not technically a vitamin but I've got friends who take it for menstruation troubles and it seems to help.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Badger of Basra posted:

Yeah my doctor told me to start taking B12 which is what prompted this question, I got a B vitamin complex and one of the other B vitamins on there is like 1300% of the DV per pill

Yeah the idea there is that no matter what your body is doing at any given moment or how bad it is in absorbing B12, there will always be sufficient B12 in the blood to do its thing. And B12 is water-soluble so you just piss any excess.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
All that being said if you have a weird diet of any kind a multivitamin isn’t a bad insurance policy.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

ulmont posted:

The wiki's summary seems reasonable?

It was at the end of the line for both Panama and Colombia so each was only so interested in bridging the gap...

Yeah but why that specific stretch I guess. It makes more sense re Panama and Colombia I guess but I was curious was there something unique to the area or was it just a process of development around it. Because I would assume that other parts of the road also dealt with similar issues?

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Carillon posted:

Yeah but why that specific stretch I guess. It makes more sense re Panama and Colombia I guess but I was curious was there something unique to the area or was it just a process of development around it. Because I would assume that other parts of the road also dealt with similar issues?

The Darien Gap is largely uninhabited. I don't know enough about Central American settlement patterns to say why that is, but that's really what you're asking about, not road building

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Stupid and small question from a dum-dum who never uses music streaming services: does Pandora, like, cache your playlists or something?

I ask because the job I just started discovered the hard way, first thing this morning, that our credit card processing wasn't working. When trying to figure out if it was on their end, or our internet, I piped up with "well Pandora's still playing, so I think we have internet?" Everyone nodded sagely and praised me for my keen deduction...

...until then I tried to go to Google, and nnnnnope, no internet. No email, no Google, and I got to hand write down CC #s and info all day. You can't even dust off the ol' knuckle-buster because cards don't have raised characters anymore. :/

So how was Pandora still bustin' out the David Bowie channel? (And if it is cached, thank St. Ziggy that that's what I got to listen to all day)

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

JacquelineDempsey posted:

So how was Pandora still bustin' out the David Bowie channel? (And if it is cached, thank St. Ziggy that that's what I got to listen to all day)

IIRC premium pandora will do offline play with restrictions.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
Spotify at least caches and repeats previously played songs if you lose your internet connection

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Pandora does offer offline play for subscribers, yes. You can read about it here https://help.pandora.com/s/article/Offline-Mode-and-Downloads?language=en_US

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Thanks y'all! That makes sense, I just didn't know how that all worked. As I said, I was all :smug:" well Pandora's working, so it's not our internet" and, uhhh, no. Not so much. Now I know.

This poo poo is neither my monkey nor my my circus, but I like to try to help out, and now I know that Pandora still running has jack + poo poo to do with if our internet is down.

Also: gently caress you Verizon, for doing "scheduled maintenance" at 11 AM. Cause, y'know, no one operates a retail business at 11 am on a Sunday.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Badger of Basra posted:

Watch out because B6 can mask the presence of B12 deficiency. Also Niacin is easy to overdose on, you'd be better off getting a dedicated b12 suppliment I think

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

alexandriao posted:

Watch out because B6 can mask the presence of B12 deficiency. Also Niacin is easy to overdose on, you'd be better off getting a dedicated b12 suppliment I think

Seconding this, per my doctor. A B-12 deficiency is very specific, and your other B levels might be fine.

Letmebefrank
Oct 9, 2012

Entitled
Does anyone read Cyrillic? I am trying to find out if this thing my father found is worth anything, but it is bit hard to google without understanding even the brand. 16mm I get..

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Has anyone successfully trained their attention span back into shape after years of internet dopamine assault? If so, how'd you do it?

I would really like to be able to read and study for long stretches at a time but that is definitely not happening now.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.â€Â

Manager Hoyden posted:

Has anyone successfully trained their attention span back into shape after years of internet dopamine assault? If so, how'd you do it?

I would really like to be able to read and study for long stretches at a time but that is definitely not happening now.

Having the charger port of my phone get clogged up, forcing me to rely on wireless charging pads which 1. Didn't let me use my phone as it charged 2. Took a lot more time and 3. Were inconsistent and often shut down due to heat issues. It made me a lot less reliant on my phone, and much more judicious with its use because I might not be able to charge it for a couple of days. That's what helped me, though if your primary internet source is something other than your phone it may not help too much.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Letmebefrank posted:

Does anyone read Cyrillic? I am trying to find out if this thing my father found is worth anything, but it is bit hard to google without understanding even the brand. 16mm I get..

It's not worth nothing.

The brand/type is Kiev 6c-2.
Etsy has some Kiev cameras at a wide range of prices:
https://www.etsy.com/nl/market/kiev_6c
Ebay is similar

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

It's a 16S-2

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Flipperwaldt posted:

It's a 16S-2

Correct. I made a stupid mistake. But in my defense, 6c is used in a lot of listing names as well.

Letmebefrank
Oct 9, 2012

Entitled

EricBauman posted:

Correct. I made a stupid mistake. But in my defense, 6c is used in a lot of listing names as well.

Thanks for you both! I will tell my father..

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Manager Hoyden posted:

Just stick with it, little by little it should improve. Also, Ritalin or Adderall will work wonders. Caffeine and nicotine help too.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
Is Google One a scam? I’m apparently out of storage and I tried to free up as much space as possible by deleting things but it’s still telling me I’m out of storage. I do take a ton of pictures but more than half of my storage is occupied with Google drive even though I have no idea what it’s so huge.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
You have to actually empty your trash before Google will free it up for you. That one caught me out for a long time.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Is there any way to find out who the dancer is in the video backdrop https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0wWGab44cU

Went to the concert with my partner a few weeks ago and that woman's dancing was the highlight for me, if she has vids on YT I'd love to see them

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
When I switch my kvm, my razer kraken tournament headphones sort of disconnect. They still show up as an option, but no sound comes out. I have to pull out the usb and put it back in.

Can this be fixed?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Why is title insurance still a thing in the US? It seems like especially nowadays in most places (especially most places where people are regularly buying homes) it would be pretty easy to determine who currently owns a piece of property, log that in an official government database, just have people reference that database to determine who has title, and require people to update it. It seems like this mostly already happens but we still have to have title insurance anyway.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Badger of Basra posted:

Why is title insurance still a thing in the US? It seems like especially nowadays in most places (especially most places where people are regularly buying homes) it would be pretty easy to determine who currently owns a piece of property, log that in an official government database, just have people reference that database to determine who has title, and require people to update it. It seems like this mostly already happens but we still have to have title insurance anyway.

The problem is that it's not that simple, and plain ownership isn't the whole story. There are a bunch of possible legal traps that could have befallen the title, and it can be real hard to dig through all of the many databases (digitized and not) to make sure there's not something -- obscure claim, unpaid taxes, etc -- that could screw stuff up. Plus, you're also covering for more physical things like bad surveys, etc

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/t/title_insurance.asp

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Like most every kind of insurance you really don't need it until you really really need it.

If everything worked as perfectly as you described, then we probably wouldn't need it but everything doesn't work that perfectly yet.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

How come the popular animal to dissect in biology classes is the frog?

I was wondering why it's not something that we eat, eg chickens. It seems a bit wasteful to kill and dissect something and then just chuck it out afterwards.

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit

Hyperlynx posted:

I was wondering why it's not something that we eat, eg chickens. It seems a bit wasteful to kill and dissect something and then just chuck it out afterwards.

American Bullfrogs are an invasive species where I live, it's a good civic action to kill as many of them as you can and bring them back for dissection, fetal pigs are also really common, we did both in high school. Additionally you're not usually dissecting fresh animals at a high school level, you're more often dissecting things that have been preserved in formaldehyde. Additionally, it's not exactly sanitary to be eating animals that high schoolers have been digging around in, that would be a really terrible idea.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Hyperlynx posted:

They're small, cheap, and easy to dissect. Can easily do it on a desk with a minimum of mess. All the important things are right there when you make the first cuts, too. Chickens would be way more difficult. Bigger, harder to manage, messier. Deeper ribcage you'd have to spread to look at the organ structures. Just way more difficult for a completely untrained student.

Also, you would not want to eat an animal that a high school class had dissected. Ugh. It would be terribly unsanitary.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Right, I didn't think of the sanitary thing, nor the invasive species thing. Makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

We dissected a starfish, and a baby shark, as well as a frog, in my high school marine bio class.