Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

silence_kit posted:

What is the main use case for a satellite phone nowadays?

When you're waaaaaaaaaay outside civilization.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weedle
May 31, 2006

i heard the iphone 14 will have a telegraph key

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

Nebraska isn't that far out of the way.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Being somewhere where there isn't cell service.

Edit : miss a whole page :facepalm:

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

silence_kit posted:

No idea, but the new iPhone is going to have it and so I want it.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
Cellular data is stupid expensive though and every phone I’ve ever seen with satellite comms has a gigantic antenna on it. It’s a weird rumour for sure.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Frank Dillinger posted:

Cellular data is stupid expensive though and every phone I’ve ever seen with satellite comms has a gigantic antenna on it. It’s a weird rumour for sure.

magsafe satellite antenna

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Frank Dillinger posted:

Regional sat phones are surprisingly small compared to a global Iridium handset. I had a phone on Thuraya’s network for a while when I was in the ME and it was shocking how much less bulk it had to the Iridium phone I had. Example of one https://thuraya.com/en/products-list/land-voice/thuraya-xt-pro

Sat requires a fair amount of power.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

silence_kit posted:

ET phone home

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Not a single fucking olive in sight
I really feel mixed on the sat option TBH, it's one of those things that sounds so ridiculous but also, yeah, I have one, a Globalstar SPOT two-messenger. Two actually, one for me, one for my husband, and that is only because I don't have the coin for an Iridium phone. My father has an Iridium phone though.

It's just one of those things that you hope that you are never going to NEED, but if you do, YOU REALLY, REALLY need it.

I can see it is a value add SOS only feature that you are never ever going to use, but it's there if you find yourself with a broken leg in a National Park type situation.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

The Electronaut posted:

Regional sat phones are surprisingly small compared to a global Iridium handset. I had a phone on Thuraya’s network for a while when I was in the ME and it was shocking how much less bulk it had to the Iridium phone I had. Example of one https://thuraya.com/en/products-list/land-voice/thuraya-xt-pro

Sat requires a fair amount of power.

I’ve only ever dealt with the iridium ones, they were huge but I guess they aren’t in LEO? They’re a geosynchronous one, now that I look into it. You can get 2.5 gigs of data for a mere 230$ a month on one network I looked at.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Frank Dillinger posted:

I’ve only ever dealt with the iridium ones, they were huge but I guess they aren’t in LEO? They’re a geosynchronous one, now that I look into it. You can get 2.5 gigs of data for a mere 230$ a month on one network I looked at.

Iridum is LEO, you are thinking Immarsat. Globalstar is a competitor to Iridium which is what they are talking about using. No satellite cross-linking, slightly smaller global coverage, smaller in the sense of literally global, like, doesn't work in Antarctica.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

silence_kit posted:

When you’re stranded on an island full of dinosaurs you’ll be glad to have it. Just don’t let one eat it. It’s a bitch to get back.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
I moved to iPhone because my $bigcorp has a preference. MDM is required for Android phones but not Apple. Then I got a watch and never looked back.

There's one Exchange Sync issue that I can't believe is a problem in 2021. If I organize a recurring weekly meeting and then cancel an occurrence, that canceled meeting still shows on my phone calendar. Likewise, if I'm an attendee and the organizer cancels an instance, it still shows. That's a big enough problem that it seems crazy to me that I can't get any Google hits on it since IOS6. It makes vacations really stressful unless I clear out the iPhone calendar manually. So am I doing something wrong somewhere?

I can only use the built-in Mail app: I know this would be solved if I could use Outlook mobile.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I know we had alarm chat a few days ago but it's really funny that while the beta alarm bug is ongoing, I've discovered my Pixel 2--which was my back up alarm to my phone/watch--now cancels itself with vibrate on. Great poo poo to be happening while currently going through a medical condition that makes regular sleep very difficult. The world conspires against me. (I also have a physical alarm clock in the mix too so there have been no actual consequences, it's just annoying that my preferred alarms don't work right now . . .)

Endless Mike posted:

I wish. I have one of those emergency text message devices perpetually on my "I need to buy this someday" list just due to worrying about being trapped in areas that are on state highways with no service in the US. This feature would be nice to not have to get one of those.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Even if the satellite thing is true and not just Apple using the same tech for shorter range communication I don't think I'd trust an iphone to be able to reliably contact satellites with a tiny internal antenna when lives were potentially on the line.

It'd be a cool bonus feature but not a serious replacement for a dedicated device.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I don't know antenna engineering at all, but the inReach is not a terribly large device and it works fine sending text messages over satellite. People do trust it to save lives.

It does seem super risky for Apple to give us the feature if it's not 100% reliable because it seems like a massive lawsuit waiting to happen. But the idea of anyone with an iPhone being able to send panic messages to rescue services is a fantastic one. It'll save lives and save money on search organization.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

silence_kit posted:

If what I’ve seen in the movies is true then being a drug lord and running a successful operation requires one.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

xzzy posted:

I don't know antenna engineering at all, but the inReach is not a terribly large device and it works fine sending text messages over satellite. People do trust it to save lives.

I don’t really have much insight on the following, but cellular radio antennas in handsets used to be really big but now they are pretty small. I wonder if small cell phone antenna performance improved or if cellular communication systems were designed to be more tolerant of poor antenna performance. Maybe old cell phone frequencies were lower than new cell phone frequencies, which means that it is easier now to create a good small cell phone antenna.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Wheeee posted:

Even if the satellite thing is true and not just Apple using the same tech for shorter range communication I don't think I'd trust an iphone to be able to reliably contact satellites with a tiny internal antenna when lives were potentially on the line.

It'd be a cool bonus feature but not a serious replacement for a dedicated device.

I wouldn't RELY on it either but as a replacement for like a $150 Garmin device (that also has a very tiny antenna) I think it might be able to compete there, at least potentially.

xzzy posted:

It does seem super risky for Apple to give us the feature if it's not 100% reliable because it seems like a massive lawsuit waiting to happen. But the idea of anyone with an iPhone being able to send panic messages to rescue services is a fantastic one. It'll save lives and save money on search organization.

Yeah this is basically what I'm talking about.

Honestly as someone who is not physically capable of hiking out of the forest if I blow a tire, I should probably have one. I don't exactly go offroading but I have been stranded on the side of a road in under zero degree weather and it wasn't th most fun thing I ever did and I'm glad I had a good sleeping bag in the trunk.

Rick fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Aug 31, 2021

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
It's all still a rumor anyway and just based on a rumor that they're using a certain radio chip.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Charles posted:

It's all still a rumor anyway and just based on a rumor that they're using a certain radio chip.

Bloomberg backed it up including details of how it would work on the device, so I am inclined to believe there is more to it than a confusion over radio bands. But it doesn't mean that it will be in the next iPhone or any iPhone, just that it is something that they are actively working on.

It's really not as crazy as it might seem, here is a one way Globalstar transmitter for IOT applications:

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Satellite transmitters may not be something I see myself having a use for but it’s the first time in a while where it feels like a smartphone has a genuine new hardware feature to tout.

I wonder if it can be used for very approximate Find My if you drop your phone on a mountain or something.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Three Olives posted:

Bloomberg backed it up including details of how it would work on the device, so I am inclined to believe there is more to it than a confusion over radio bands.

Didn't Bloomberg say Apple's servers had all been hacked and it turned out to be a bunch of hot air?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Quackles posted:

Didn't Bloomberg say Apple's servers had all been hacked and it turned out to be a bunch of hot air?
Everyone's servers, everywhere! Those were different writers that upon further review, had a certain...reputation. The guy that regularly does Apple rumors for them has shown to be solid enough though.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Question Mark Mound posted:

Satellite transmitters may not be something I see myself having a use for but it’s the first time in a while where it feels like a smartphone has a genuine new hardware feature to tout.

For me, it's the one thing you can't buy when you actually need it. I ran out and bought two of them after the winter storm hit Texas. No power, no cellphone, no internet, we were completely disconnected from the world for almost three days, didn't even know if it was safe to leave the house. We keep one in my husband's glovebox, I keep one in my work bag.

$400 on hardware and $22 a month buys a shitload of peace of mind.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I tried using Apple’s recommended Shortcut for making a gif from a Live Photo which mostly works great but the frame rate seems kinda bad compared to third party gif making apps. Is there a tweak to the shortcut to make it use all the available Live Photo frames and so look a lot smoother?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Speaking of, is there a good place that kinda curates good shortcuts?

like with browser extensions, I dont really have a need that is unmet, rather I see someone suggest a shortcut/plug-in and im like 'oh YEAH that is something I will use weekly' and grab it.

and the imgur uploader one a goon shared when they first released shortcuts doesnt seem to work anymore - is there a new one?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Somewhat relevant, 1password is 50% off today if anyone has been on the fence (new only it looks like).

https://www.theverge.com/good-deals/2021/9/1/22651065/1password-amazon-echo-show-8-samsung-qled-tv-jabra-elite-85t-apple-deals-sale

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Duckman2008 posted:

Somewhat relevant, 1password is 50% off today if anyone has been on the fence (new only it looks like).

https://www.theverge.com/good-deals/2021/9/1/22651065/1password-amazon-echo-show-8-samsung-qled-tv-jabra-elite-85t-apple-deals-sale

1 password is real loving good

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

1 password is real loving good

+1, it’s my only software/app subscription (family plan) and it’s great.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Just curious for the sake of security knowledge. Why would I want that over the Apple system if it works perfect for me and I have no need to step outside of the apple ecosystem?

Jose Oquendo posted:

That's definitely odd.

You might want to delete the text thread from both of the phones in question and maybe delete and recreate each other's contact cards on your phones.

What does YOUR contact card on your phone look like? Anything weird there? I'm just totally spitballing here.

Do you run dual sims on your phone?

Have your dad reset his network settings. If there's something goofy on his carrier's end, that might help.

Did all of that, my contact card looks totally fine. It’s such a strange issue.

I’m not sure what a dual sim is so I’m assuming not.

I’ll have him do that, hopefully that helps. At this point it wouldn’t surprise me if it was a t-mobile related issue.

Appreciate the help btw! I’d love to solve this but it’s such an odd issue.

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Sep 1, 2021

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

2FA?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Kilometers Davis posted:

Just curious for the sake of security knowledge. Why would I want that over the Apple system if it works perfect for me and I have no need to step outside of the apple ecosystem?

If Apple's works fine, and you never, ever use non-Apple products, there's probably no reason, but I also don't know the full breadth of what Apple's password manager can do.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Kilometers Davis posted:

It has a couple other cool features like built in 2FA generator and ability to create one-time-use credit cards through Privacy.com

If you're never stepping outside of Apple or are OK digging into the settings to manually find the password to use on a TV or something, then the Apple password manager works just fine.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Thanks for the info :) sounds like I’m set but I’ll definitely look into 1pass if I ever decide to try out something else.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

FCKGW posted:

create one-time-use credit cards through Privacy.com
How do you do this??? Seems like the sort of thing that would be useful once in awhile.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

How do you do this??? Seems like the sort of thing that would be useful once in awhile.

Privacy.com is a service that will issue virtual card numbers to a linked bank account. You can do one-time use cards, have numbers with a fixed spending limit, stuff like that. Some CC providers provide this service as well.

If you link your Privacy.com account to 1password then when you go to fill out to CC details on a form one of the options is "Create Privacy.com virtual card" and you can do it on the spot.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Sep 1, 2021

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I pay for 1password because it syncs across both my devices and my wife’s devices , plus works on non Apple devices.

I use iCloud Keychain in tandem , keychain is fine if it’s just you and only Apple products.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Yah some browsers have decent people managers too and the Apple one is good but a real benefit for 1pass for me anyway is setting up separate vaults for things like work, personal, and shared ones with spouses etc. Also I think there are ways to unlock accounts for people on your family plan if they forget or lose their vault password. Never had to use that, though.

Also 1Pass works on all browsers on macOS/ios/windows as well. Plus a web interface. And of course the 2FA.

And I was using it before Apple or browser folks rolled theirs in so I’m just used to it…