Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Morpheus posted:

Lol what the hell

Hence why that's some bullshit right there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Another complaint I was gonna have about Psychonauts 2 was the lack of a photo mode, but then they give your character a gadget that adds that ability. Yay, except then it turns out you have to hold your gadget button down for a solid second to activate it, making it pretty much useless for capturing things in the moment :psyduck:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

SiKboy posted:

I can put up with fall damage in games, as long as its consistant. What I loathe are the games where this fall will do nothing, or at most about a third of your health bar, but that fall will just kill you outright from full health, despite them not appearing to be that different.

https://i.imgur.com/07TJCDd.mp4

must have been right in the crotch

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
Aside from the very big thing dragging it down (its length), an easily fixable but very annoying thing in Odyssey is that I have to call my boat from a port, not from anywhere on the coast. There's also a part where you have to take someone home on the boat, but since there's no strait, you either circumnavigate the entire peninsula... Or you warp to the port on the other side of it and call the boat from there.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

Ruined botza deez nuts.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

2house2fly posted:

I replayed Ocarina Of Time a while back and it was ok except for the lovely controller making aiming arrows aggravatingly difficult. Conker I remember being rough even at the time, that and Perfect Dark ran notably badly on a console where peak performance was like "tolerable". It's weird they didn't delay them and remake them as Gamecube games, since by the time they came up the N64's time was all but up anyway

Conker was a really late N64 game but it had been in development so long that another reset for the Gamecube probably would have killed the project. I ended up playing the whole game yesterday because it wasn't very long. The sheer variety of things in the game is pretty impressive but most of it is kinda half baked. Knowing more now about the overall development, the final result probably emerged from them actually just stitching together various concepts and using variety + the shorter length to hold it together.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
I'm finishing up my playthrough of The Witness and, I gotta say, it's a cool-rear end puzzle game but the tacked-on philosophy is absolutely dogshit.

I loved Braid (previous game by the same designer, Jonathan Blow), even the weird wordy allegorical up-its-own-rear end plot. In The Witness, though, Blow is so much further up his own rear end, and there is no plot. Much like Braid, the gameplay and the "story"/philosophy bits are essentially entirely unrelated. You explore, you solve puzzles, and every once in a while you find an audio clip featuring a quote from a scientist, theologian, or philosopher, or maybe a forty-loving-minute-long video about basic philosophy.

I wanted to give it a chance, to engage with it on its own terms and keep an open mind and such, since I thought Braid's writing was interesting and meaningful (despite being somewhat disguised by an overly pretentious writing style). But god drat did I find so much of The Witness irritating. I think the plan was to present a bunch of ideas about spirituality, self, God, time, and the universe, and. . . I guess let the player ruminate on these ideas in a peaceful environment, so that they can draw their own conclusions? But instead it comes across as a muddled mess of the sort of stuff that a pretentious first-year philosophy student would quote at parties in a misguided attempt to seem sophisticated. I was especially annoyed at the bit in the post-game area where the audio logs break the fourth wall in order to spend an inordinate amount of time insulting the concept of atheism without actually seeming to understand what atheism is nor anything about epistemology. Also got very mad at the video of Gangaji talking about how if you "stop looking for the things you want," good things will come to you, which is a philosophy steeped in an absolutely offensive amount of privilege and ignorance.

Ultimately I find myself just pissed off at Jonathan Blow for packaging his incredibly brilliant puzzle game with a rambling, sophomoric philosophical manifesto with nothing to actually say for itself.

And as long as I'm here, I'll also complain that nearly every single moving object in this game moves painfully slow. In particular there are a couple moving platforms that you need to ride that go at about one tenth of the speed that a normal game designer would think is reasonable.

Also, on an unrelated note, the game has zero accessibility features other than subtitles. If you're hearing impaired, colorblind, or have photosensitive epilepsy, then you can't complete the game or at least will find several parts of the game incredibly frustrating. I'm fortunate enough to not be affected by these issues but it seems really disrespectful to have no consideration for them at all.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I'm dipping my toes back into Hades and boy the fishing in this is so horribly tacked on.

If you're lucky, you'll get one chance to fish per run! Did you mistime the button press after you got a bite? Too bad! Better hope another fishing spot appears next run! :argh:

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

That wasn't a game mechanic inconsistency - the player is came up slightly short and landed on the plane perpendicular to their momentum and cratered instead of sliding down the hill.

The "little thing dragging this game down" is that Bungie just loving loves to fill the jumping puzzles in that game with tiny bits of hostile architecture like this.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Aphrodite posted:

You start able to make big jumps into hay/water/etc safely, you just don't do the AC trademark dive form with the eagle (aka red tailed hawk) call until then.

Yeah, it's more of a graceless flop because Eivor hasn't learned the right animation yet

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Voyager I posted:

That wasn't a game mechanic inconsistency - the player is came up slightly short and landed on the plane perpendicular to their momentum and cratered instead of sliding down the hill.

The "little thing dragging this game down" is that Bungie just loving loves to fill the jumping puzzles in that game with tiny bits of hostile architecture like this.

you can survive perpendicular falls far longer than that in destiny lol

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Vandar posted:

I'm dipping my toes back into Hades and boy the fishing in this is so horribly tacked on.

If you're lucky, you'll get one chance to fish per run! Did you mistime the button press after you got a bite? Too bad! Better hope another fishing spot appears next run! :argh:

I just had a run with at least two fishing spots, I think they’re just easy to miss.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

you can survive perpendicular falls far longer than that in destiny lol

if you land on a flat surface going straight down you won't ever die

trick is the ground is always full of little bits of debris or odd geometry so that it's not 'flat', or if it is flat, it's not at a 90 degree angle so you kind of get flung off at high speed

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I spent more than a week working through Hades before finally beating it, and....there's fishing? :monocle:

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.
I know it's a cliche that gets said over and over and over again but there may not be anything worse in the wide world of gaming than when an Assassin's Creed game makes you stop having fun so that you can do stuff in the present day with Abstergo and the animus and etc.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

gohuskies posted:

I know it's a cliche that gets said over and over and over again but there may not be anything worse in the wide world of gaming than when an Assassin's Creed game makes you stop having fun so that you can do stuff in the present day with Abstergo and the animus and etc.

It's happened in every AC that I've played that I've completely forgotten about the present day stuff and I hit a wall where it makes me get out of the animus and it takes me a couple beats to realize what's happening.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Joey Freshwater posted:

It's happened in every AC that I've played that I've completely forgotten about the present day stuff and I hit a wall where it makes me get out of the animus and it takes me a couple beats to realize what's happening.

And you've completely forgotten who these present day characters are or what they're doing, you don't care about them at all, and it's like okay what conversation option do I have to choose or what interaction prompt do I have to find for the game to let me go back to Ancient Greece.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

gohuskies posted:

And you've completely forgotten who these present day characters are or what they're doing, you don't care about them at all, and it's like okay what conversation option do I have to choose or what interaction prompt do I have to find for the game to let me go back to Ancient Greece.

The only time I've found myself interested in the present time stuff was the first couple games because it was actually interesting before it went completely off the rails. The other time was the end of Valhalla.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I think the only time I've enjoyed being reminded that the AC games are a simulation in-universe is the bits in Valhalla where the simulation glitches and it turns into a short platforming sequence. I guess there was some interesting story stuff towards the end of Odyssey too. Otherwise it's a weird waste, the whole meta setup seems like it should be right up my alley but it mostly turns into a slog.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Captain Hygiene posted:

I spent more than a week working through Hades before finally beating it, and....there's fishing? :monocle:

You have to purchase the Rod of Fishing from the House Contractor to unlock it.

Sometimes as you're making your escape, a fishing area will light up and Zag will say something like 'looks like I can fish here'. You get one chance to fish at each spot, and it's a really simple 'press the button when you get a bite' minigame.

Trudis
Mar 23, 2008

This is the Dawning of the Age of Hilarious
There are also items to buy that force a fishing point in the next room! If you're not seeing a bunch of spots to fish, check the vending machines and buy one, especially if you need the specific resource that particular fish trades for.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

gohuskies posted:

I Miss Desmond Miles

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

christmas boots posted:

I Miss Desmond Miles

:same: I really liked the present day stuff. I still do, actually.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
I skipped Origins and only played Odyssey and its the middle part of a trilogy?

Nothing in the promotional material or the game itself tells you this. You just get dumped into the modern world part and have no idea who those characters are or what they are doing.
That was great storytelling!

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Trudis posted:

There are also items to buy that force a fishing point in the next room! If you're not seeing a bunch of spots to fish, check the vending machines and buy one, especially if you need the specific resource that particular fish trades for.

I have never once seen this item. :psyduck:

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

Shai-Hulud posted:

I skipped Origins and only played Odyssey and its the middle part of a trilogy?

Nothing in the promotional material or the game itself tells you this. You just get dumped into the modern world part and have no idea who those characters are or what they are doing.
That was great storytelling!

I did this too, then I went back to Origins (which I do enjoy a lot too) but still have no loving clue who Layla is or what she's investigating. there's a laptop with a million emails but I'm not loving reading that instead of dicking around in Egypt

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
The short version is: Layla Hassan works for Abstergo. In Origins, she's on a mission to find a Piece of Eden (prehuman macguffin artifacts), but she joins the Assassins when Abstergo tries to kill her.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

gohuskies posted:

It seems like the games keep getting closer and closer to dropping the present day poo poo, then the one guy at Ubisoft who gives a poo poo about it and is loving the CEO Kramers into the room and insists his pages of irrelevant crap are put in the game. Black Flag would have been one of the greatest games ever if it wasn't for the Assassin's Creed stuff. Syndicate wasn't as good a game but I enjoyed it more because the present day stuff was cutscenes that I could take my headphones off and ignore.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Ugly In The Morning posted:

:same: I really liked the present day stuff. I still do, actually.

I'm still partial to it but I've definitely cooled off from being really into it like I used to be. When it seemed like it was building to something I was all-in, but then there was just this aimless period where nothing really happened and the biggest plot threads got resolved in that spinoff comic.

I still like the framing device and all the conspiracy poo poo, but it's definitely been more misses than hits imo

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

The only good AC future parts were in the original game, because while Desmomd did the same things as Altair, eavesdropping, picking pockets etc. they were done differently and in a different context. Every game after that either just did a cut-down version of the regular game or a bad walking simulator.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've started playing Far Cry 4 (just got unlocked the mission to meet Longinus) and the vehicle controls feel very awkward. At least the early vehicles, the buggys, and very loose and feel very light and overly bouncy. Turning is a total crapshoot.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Hel posted:

The only good AC future parts were in the original game, because while Desmomd did the same things as Altair, eavesdropping, picking pockets etc. they were done differently and in a different context. Every game after that either just did a cut-down version of the regular game or a bad walking simulator.

They also had fun scenes like when the bad guys tell you to very carefully pull the alien mind control device out of your bag, and then you just mind-control them all.

The cliffhangers were pretty drat great too.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Say what you will about the future stuff but in Odyssey it gave us Kassandra in a suit so I'm not going to knock it. :stwoon:

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
But it also meant we could have been playing as Cassandra in every AC game. I cannot forgive this.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
it also implies she was holding the magic immortality stick for a few thosuand years because not holding it would rapidly age and kill her.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

PhazonLink posted:

it also implies she was holding the magic immortality stick for a few thosuand years because not holding it would rapidly age and kill her.

I wonder if your hand just kinda gets stuck like that after a few hundred years. Makes it easier to keep holding it, I bet.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
I think it was less that she needed to keep in physical contact with it for 2.5 thousand years, and more the intention that she was handing it to someone else. It seems appropriate for the pieces of eden to recognize when they change ownership, either by gift or by force.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Vandar posted:

Say what you will about the future stuff but in Odyssey it gave us Kassandra in a suit so I'm not going to knock it. :stwoon:

It's a shame that that's not an unlockable outfit, I guess I need to see if someone's added it in to the PC version.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

PhazonLink posted:

In the Atlantis DLC they show it kind of folding up behind her whenever she's not using it. It's magic, it's a magic staff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I liked the current day and conspiracy stuff. I will admit im going through Valhalla now and I have no idea what the hell Layla is doing or what any of them are doing. I did like it more when it was just implied that world events had been gently massaged by the templars and assassins vs now where it seems like every time any historically famous person farts it was due to templars vs assassins never ending war.