Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Day two of home ownership: garbage disposal froze and this model doesn't have an allen key underneath to turn it manually. :thumbsup:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Is there a button somewhere else by any chance? I know some older models actually recommend using a wooden spoon handle to manually force it around with the power off obviously.

If you're looking for a new one, Costco has a few different models for less than you'll find at home Depot.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

spf3million posted:

Day two of home ownership: garbage disposal froze and this model doesn't have an allen key underneath to turn it manually. :thumbsup:

Just take it off the drain and invert it or get your hand in there. The allen key turner isn't a end all. If you're putting your hand in there unplug it and try the switch to make sure it's dead.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

spf3million posted:

This is what you need.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/MOEN-Garbage-Disposal-Unjamming-Wrench-1037/301296781

I had one like it, I forget where I bought it,at my last house. Worked well.

I think the inside of my old disposal was rusting out or something though because I was having to use it more and more often as time went by. It’s a handy tool but if it gets to jamming up all the time plan on replacing it.

It was a super cheap builder grade unit that was 8.5 years old so who knows.

You can also try to use something as a lever to manually spin the blades. I wouldn’t put anything you care about down there though.

aDecentCupOfTea
Jan 13, 2013

gp2k posted:

Couple years older but in the same boat--my offer was accepted yesterday and I'm now in escrow.

Waking up at 1am overwhelmed with worry and doubt and unable to get back to sleep until 5am is a normal part of the process.... right??

The night after our offer was accepted on our house I stayed up all night, literally sick with worry because I didn’t know where we would put our coats in the house, I genuinely managed about 2 hours of sleep that night as I was so fraught.

I told my partner about it in the morning and he very gently reminded me that hooks exist & that the coats could go where ever we wanted.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Are garbage disposals something that would be worth installing if you don't have one already, or are they more of a "gently caress raking it into the trash, send it down the drain where it'll get chopped up and sent to the city sewer/septic tank" thing?

Also is there an electrical wire outlet/whatever that's a better place to go than the local Home Depot/Lowe's for about 250' of 10/2 with ground solid wire? I figure that's far and away the most expensive piece of what's required for connecting the workshop building up to my home's breaker box, but there aren't a whole lot of local places to go for prices (and they all seem to be charging about the same amount).

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

My city at least has been trying to push people to install garbage disposals to reduce food waste that ends up in trash

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Electricians get their stuff from electric supply companies but I doubt they'd sell to a random home owner. That stuff's all commodity so it's probably not any cheaper for them either. That's just gonna be expensive no matter what.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Are garbage disposals something that would be worth installing if you don't have one already, or are they more of a "gently caress raking it into the trash, send it down the drain where it'll get chopped up and sent to the city sewer/septic tank" thing?

Also is there an electrical wire outlet/whatever that's a better place to go than the local Home Depot/Lowe's for about 250' of 10/2 with ground solid wire? I figure that's far and away the most expensive piece of what's required for connecting the workshop building up to my home's breaker box, but there aren't a whole lot of local places to go for prices (and they all seem to be charging about the same amount).

Use THHN wire its stranded stranded much easier to pull. When I did a project like this I spent a lot of time looking for suppliers for wire and just ended up going to Home depot. Get a 500' spool if you need 250' the 500' spool will likely be cheaper.

Edit: seems you're using romex Home depot is a fine place to buy that too.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Thanks for the disposal advice, never heard of that unjamming tool. I'll go hand fishing first and if it keeps happening, great excuse to buy another little thingamabob.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Nitrousoxide posted:

My city at least has been trying to push people to install garbage disposals to reduce food waste that ends up in trash

That's odd, because it's usually the reverse.

Sewage treatment plants are expensive to run and maintain, and adding anything solid that isn't poop and toilet paper costs extra money to filter out. It either gets caught by the initial bar filter or settles in the clarifier, but either way, it has to be thrown out anyway.

Disposals should be used for the little bits left on dishes that didn't get scraped off into the trash can, not for crap like potato peels and huge amounts of food... unless you like having a plumber on speed dial.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Kind of related but my girlfriend got a composter recently and it's pretty cool to be able to do something useful with all the bits and pieces of veggies we don't eat.

We also started a garden that will make use of the compost when it's ready.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

B-Nasty posted:

That's odd, because it's usually the reverse.

Sewage treatment plants are expensive to run and maintain, and adding anything solid that isn't poop and toilet paper costs extra money to filter out. It either gets caught by the initial bar filter or settles in the clarifier, but either way, it has to be thrown out anyway.

Disposals should be used for the little bits left on dishes that didn't get scraped off into the trash can, not for crap like potato peels and huge amounts of food... unless you like having a plumber on speed dial.

Tell that to my ex who would always dispose of eggshells down the garbage disposal despite me telling her the plumbing in the house was not up to it.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
I think some people were just raised wrong. I swear to god just yesterday my wife was about to dump about 2 cups of panko bread crumbs that were leftover from some fried chicken down the disposal. She paused to ask me if I was done with them to which I replied, I just needed to take out the trash before I could dump them in a bag without it overflowing. Her family just dumps everything from their plates down the disposal. It's terrible.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

There are definitely a lot of disposal mistakes made, at the same time some of these scenarios seem like a toss up between the garbage can and disposal. Bread crumbs? Nothing is probably going to happen with your plumbing.... it's what the disposal is designed for. Is a disposal worth it if you only use it for the tiniest of scraps once you slide everything into the trash?

Random article on this though it doesn't really help the core question: https://www.consumerreports.org/garbage-disposals/foods-you-can-cant-put-down-a-garbage-disposal/

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Aug 30, 2021

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Since we're on septic yes thats exactly what we use it for. It gets run like once a week.

gp2k
Apr 22, 2008

aDecentCupOfTea posted:

The night after our offer was accepted on our house I stayed up all night, literally sick with worry because I didn’t know where we would put our coats in the house,

Spent about half an hour worrying that my cats wouldn't have enough birds to look at given how the windows are oriented. My partner said we could install a bird feeder and that seemed to calm me down.

Now I get to be that guy who yells at the squirrels who steal the seeds out of the bird feeder.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Inner Light posted:

There are definitely a lot of disposal mistakes made, at the same time some of these scenarios seem like a toss up between the garbage can and disposal. Bread crumbs? Nothing is probably going to happen with your plumbing.... it's what the disposal is designed for. Is a disposal worth it if you only use it for the tiniest of scraps once you slide everything into the trash?

Random article on this though it doesn't really help the core question: https://www.consumerreports.org/garbage-disposals/foods-you-can-cant-put-down-a-garbage-disposal/

You'll note, of course, that CR isn't commenting on where the sewage actually goes, they're just talking about what will actually make it through the disposal.

Disposals probably aren't worth it in most cases. Anything large enough to be ground up should be thrown away, anything that isn't would probably just go down the pipe without needing the disposal.

Heavy use of disposals is a classic 'tragedy of the commons' problem. Nobody gives a poo poo (intended) about what/how much they send to the sewage plant, but it ultimately costs everyone more money in sewer bills. My local NextDoor is currently up-in-arms about the local wastewater utility upping their rates by 40%, to well over $1000/year. Coming soon to a town near you!

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Source4Leko posted:

Since we're on septic yes thats exactly what we use it for. It gets run like once a week.

I'm on septic and a very heavy garbage disposal user for food scraps, especially vegetables. I wouldn't think twice about firing leftover panko down there.

It's pumped every three years and completely and totally fine.

Anyone who is worried about their septic system isn't maintaining it properly. Which is most people. It takes more than just pumping. When you start worrying about "what will go down", etc you have a legitimate plumbing issue that is not going to get better on it's own.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Motronic posted:

I'm on septic and a very heavy garbage disposal user for food scraps, especially vegetables. I wouldn't think twice about firing leftover panko down there.

Anyone who is worried about their septic system isn't maintaining it properly. Which is most people. It takes more than just pumping. When you start worrying about "what will go down", etc you have a legitimate plumbing issue that is not going to get better on it's own.

I was always told that food waste isn't a great idea on septic. Also thanks for reminding me were gonna need ours pumped in the next year or so. Our system is oversized for how we're using it now especially compared to the previous owners and they only had it pumped every 5 years tho. Also had the tank lid open with a plumber 2 years ago and everything looked fine? But I didn't really know what I was looking at other than a tank of poo poo.

Source4Leko fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Aug 30, 2021

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Source4Leko posted:

I was always told that food waste isn't a great idea on septic. Also thanks for reminding me were gonna need ours pumped in the next year or so.

Yes, that's a thing I hear a lot. Some garbage disposals even have some sort of injector thing that you keep filling up to put some mystery stuff down the drain every time you use it.

Just like with every other homeowner treatment to put down your drain into your septic: don't use it.

A properly working septic system does not need any of this. A properly working septic system has no problem with food scraps. I've been doing this for most of my life across several septic systems. The commonality is that they were all:
- Properly sized
- Properly installed
- Properly maintained
- Nobody put things down the drain that absolutely, positively can't be put down there. The #1 biggest problem would be any sort of antibiotics, bur really anything that will kill off the bacteria that make properly working septic systems function.

You're running an anaerobic biological matter processing system. When it runs properly food waste turns into almost nothing. Poop turns into almost nothing. Pumping takes out the rest. Every three years.....even every 5 years is sufficient when everything else is working. There shouldn't be more than a foot or two of sludge at the bottom, most of which is "new" and hasn't broken down completely.

The bulk of my septic problems have been related to the actual plumbing - lateral to the tank wasn't installed properly, got bellied in the middle and would slowly clog - this happened twice at two different places - easily correct with a backhoe and some stone - or the water chemistry - ours will rot concrete particularly the "d-box", which I replaced with a plastic one several years ago but not long enough ago to say whether it's better/longer lasting than concrete yet.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
Maybe I'm just on the opposite side of the garbage disposal use case spectrum. Particularly when the choice is effortlessly dump the panko in the trash vs dump it in the sink then have to spray all around the sink to get the panko bits in the disposal and run it a couple times. The do / do not list is great - we always make sure to drain grease into a can which goes into the freezer until full and then in the trash.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

Motronic posted:

I read this as 3 times a year at first and my eyebrows hit the ceiling.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
We throw all our food scraps into a bag for collection by our city's "organics recycling" (aka: industrial compost) but still planning on getting a disposal eventually, for rinsing out the sink strainer, or when I soak a pot with some dried up gunk, and then the sink is full of big puffy soaked rice or other food scraps in water.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

I treat my septic as gently as I can, since it's older than I am. Scraping food in the trash is just as easy as sending it down the drain, and oils/fats should be minimized in drains anyway, and those are more of a pain to wipe off than food bits.

Worse for a septic is laundry lint. It's often non-biodegradable (nylon/poly), and it can get suspended in water easily, which means it has a good chance of getting out to the drainfield. I use a filter at my washer outlet into the laundry sink, and a filter at your septic's outlet baffle isn't a bad idea either.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

extravadanza posted:

Maybe I'm just on the opposite side of the garbage disposal use case spectrum. Particularly when the choice is effortlessly dump the panko in the trash vs dump it in the sink then have to spray all around the sink to get the panko bits in the disposal and run it a couple times. The do / do not list is great - we always make sure to drain grease into a can which goes into the freezer until full and then in the trash.

Yeah, grease is another one but for a different reason. Grease will break down, but grease floats. The primary way your septic box separates solids from "processed" water that is ready to go into your leach field is with a screen between the first and second chamber of your tank. The solids are supposed to settle into the chambers to be processed. Since grease floats it will either or both get on the screen, cool down and clog it or just plain on pass through to the second chamber, where it will continue to float and go right out into your field eventually.

This is less a septic box issue than it is a "I blew my field" issue, which is WAY crapper to fix than just pumping/cleaning the box so it can reestablish it's biological filter.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Motronic posted:

Yes, that's a thing I hear a lot. Some garbage disposals even have some sort of injector thing that you keep filling up to put some mystery stuff down the drain every time you use it.

Just like with every other homeowner treatment to put down your drain into your septic: don't use it.

A properly working septic system does not need any of this. A properly working septic system has no problem with food scraps. I've been doing this for most of my life across several septic systems. The commonality is that they were all:
- Properly sized
- Properly installed
- Properly maintained
- Nobody put things down the drain that absolutely, positively can't be put down there. The #1 biggest problem would be any sort of antibiotics, bur really anything that will kill off the bacteria that make properly working septic systems function.

You're running an anaerobic biological matter processing system. When it runs properly food waste turns into almost nothing. Poop turns into almost nothing. Pumping takes out the rest. Every three years.....even every 5 years is sufficient when everything else is working. There shouldn't be more than a foot or two of sludge at the bottom, most of which is "new" and hasn't broken down completely.

The bulk of my septic problems have been related to the actual plumbing - lateral to the tank wasn't installed properly, got bellied in the middle and would slowly clog - this happened twice at two different places - easily correct with a backhoe and some stone - or the water chemistry - ours will rot concrete particularly the "d-box", which I replaced with a plastic one several years ago but not long enough ago to say whether it's better/longer lasting than concrete yet.

Yea so far our only septic problem was plumbing, we had a clog that my wife had to call someone for since I was out of town and they only moved the clog to jam in the clean out, so when the plumbers opened that the 2nd trip out we got a minor poo volcano. Only way to clear it was to snake it from the septic tank side. Were lucky with house now because it was a custom build house in the late 50's and whoever built it built it to last forever, and all the previous owners were great about maintaining it. The immediate previous owners had 4 family members 2 of which never left the house and they still got by with pumping every 4 years I think. Will either be a late fall or early spring thing depends on how much the arborist I have to call sets me back.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

B-Nasty posted:

I treat my septic as gently as I can, since it's older than I am. Scraping food in the trash is just as easy as sending it down the drain, and oils/fats should be minimized in drains anyway, and those are more of a pain to wipe off than food bits.

Worse for a septic is laundry lint. It's often non-biodegradable (nylon/poly), and it can get suspended in water easily, which means it has a good chance of getting out to the drainfield. I use a filter at my washer outlet into the laundry sink, and a filter at your septic's outlet baffle isn't a bad idea either.

Our slop sink/ washing machine drain into our sump pump pit which avoids all that. Supposed to be done that way? No but every house on my street is done that way.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

B-Nasty posted:

It also causes a lot of turbulence due to the water volume being discharged all at once, especially on older top loading machines. Turbulence in a box that is intended to settle out solids is obviously not a good thing.

We use a front loading HE washer and modern slow as crap but barely uses any water dishwasher. This helps with both the septic AND the well.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Source4Leko posted:

Our slop sink/ washing machine drain into our sump pump pit which avoids all that. Supposed to be done that way? No but every house on my street is done that way.

Illegal in my state of PA to drain gray water on the ground. You can drain it to a separate system, but it basically has to be a mini-septic system that's inspected/permitted and all that jazz.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

B-Nasty posted:

Illegal in my state of PA to drain gray water on the ground. You can drain it to a separate system, but it basically has to be a mini-septic system that's inspected/permitted and all that jazz.

Probably is here too. Basically nothing I do has to be inspected since I'm out of city limits. My neighbors did an additon on their house and the county wouldn't even issue them a permit since they said they didn't need one. Only for new dwellings I guess lol.

Source4Leko fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Aug 30, 2021

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
We've got a 2-story Cape Cod, built in 1949. It's got central air. The attic insulation got replaced about 3-4 years ago. The 2nd floor is hot as gently caress in the summer. We only use it as home offices since COVID, and will continue to do so since our workplaces are continuing or moving us to full remote. We're using window ACs to make it tolerable, and space heaters in the winter. It's not as awfully cold in the winter, just crazy hot in the summer.

Is getting split ducts installed worth it? Our HVAC company gave a rough idea of $7k-$8k for the two rooms.

We're paying around $240-$280/mo in the summer, $120-$150/mo in the winter. Seems like unless it works miracles with efficiency, it'd take 10+ years to break even.

Whoreson Welles
Mar 4, 2015

ON TO THE NEXT PAGE!
So I haven’t houseposted in a while but after a long 4 months of reno we’re finally almost at the point where we can move in. Getting the floors redone throughout the whole second floor and a few rooms on the first. The finish is going to be matte but the guy just did the last coat this morning and my wife snagged a picture before it even had a chance to dry. Looks kinda wild fresh off the brush/squeegee/however the gently caress you put sealer on a floor:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Source4Leko posted:

Probably is here too. Basically nothing I do has to be inspected since I'm out of city limits. My neighbors did an additon on their house and the county wouldn't even issue them a permit since they said they didn't need one. Only for new dwellings I guess lol.

That's not a county issue permit/concern. It's state department of health, same as septic.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees

Motronic posted:

Is there any worry of antibiotics getting into the system through your pee while taking a course of them? I suspect not since modern versions have higher bioavailabilty and less is passed out through urine, but curious if that's something known or not.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Spikes32 posted:

Is there any worry of antibiotics getting into the system through your pee while taking a course of them? I suspect not since modern versions have higher bioavailabilty and less is passed out through urine, but curious if that's something known or not.

I've never heard of that as an issue. The stories I have heard have always been people dumping "leftover" antibiotics down the drain, which is bad for septic and bad for the human race (not taking the entire course of your antibiotics is on way antibiotic resistant strains get into the wild).

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
What's the story for folks in rural areas where the wastewater lines for the laundry system dump everything into the septic? Seems like detergents and bleach would wreck that system. Or is that why people dump Rid-X into the tank every few weeks?

EDIT: Also I know some people that had to have the entire system cleaned out because they were dumping cooking grease down the drain with no regard for how that would thicken up and eventually clog the drain lines because lines between the sink and the septic were long enough that no amount of heat would keep the grease above the temps where it would solidify before it got to the tank.

Some Pinko Commie fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Aug 30, 2021

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

MJP posted:

We've got a 2-story Cape Cod, built in 1949. It's got central air. The attic insulation got replaced about 3-4 years ago. The 2nd floor is hot as gently caress in the summer. We only use it as home offices since COVID, and will continue to do so since our workplaces are continuing or moving us to full remote. We're using window ACs to make it tolerable, and space heaters in the winter. It's not as awfully cold in the winter, just crazy hot in the summer.

Is getting split ducts installed worth it? Our HVAC company gave a rough idea of $7k-$8k for the two rooms.

We're paying around $240-$280/mo in the summer, $120-$150/mo in the winter. Seems like unless it works miracles with efficiency, it'd take 10+ years to break even.

I'm not sure what 'split ducts' are, but your options are likely the following:

1. Install dampers/balance and minor duct work to force more air upstairs during the Summer
2. Keep the window shakers and live with it
3. Install a mini split with multiple heads for the rooms
4. Install a separate system in the attic
5. Completely redo all ductwork to better balance the air flow

Personally, I put a big premium on comfort. I can't stand the noise of window AC units, but if it doesn't really bother you, that's probably the cheapest upfront option that is guaranteed to work.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
I thought window AC units were horrifically inefficient on the power bill side of things?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

What's the story for folks in rural areas where the wastewater lines for the laundry system dump everything into the septic? Seems like detergents and bleach would wreck that system. Or is that why people dump Rid-X into the tank every few weeks?

Detergents and bleach, in reasonable amounts, aren't a problem for a well-functioning septic. The tank is usually 1000g+, so some bleach in your laundry is like pissing into the ocean. I saw somewhere where they tested it, and it took over 2 gallons of bleach dumped into the septic at one time to disrupt the bacteria... so don't do that.

I thought window AC units were horrifically inefficient on the power bill side of things?

That's why I added 'upfront'. Window units are like the equivalent of 10-12 SEER (at best), so they're not as efficient as a split/mini split system. However, they're cheap, ubiquitous, and relatively reliable. If it costs $200 more to run it per season, that will pay for a bunch of years to equal the install costs of a minisplit.