Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Yeah I ended up choosing Beal over Harden but that would've been a bad choice last year and will probably be one next year if Harden is healthy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Aw yea let’s do this. I had the easy choice of Steph Curry as my keeper. Betting on PG13 showing out in Kawhi’s absence would be fun but his ceiling would be basically at Steph’s floor still

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook
Cool let’s run this bitch back.

I’ll try to remember to push the buttons this time.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

i am down for doing this again and also i have Lebron James

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
All right do we want to re-align the league?

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
I'm on a posting break but fully intend to try really hard to come in third place or something

creamcorn
Oct 26, 2007

automatic gun for fast, continuous firing
i will rejoin and try to actually do my roster this season, since my brain is less lovely now.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
A couple things then since I think nearly everyone has indicated a return : do we allow expansion? They allow leagues as big as 24 which is wild and would probably suck. But we could probably safely add a few more people (1-4) without having to be experts on teams end of bench players.

Secondly when do we want to start our email draft? I was thinking Sept 1st or the day training camps open but we are down to three “major”players left so could safely start relatively soon.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

league felt super able to hold more people so i think if anyone has a couple it should be fine to add them. i have never played longterm fanty leagues before does anything happen to even out the fact that none of them will have any keepers or do they just roll with it

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Absolutely fine with adding a few people plus randomizing divisions. Last year was such an outlier in about every sense except that it was our first year - that is to say I hesitate to accept it as our “normal.” I’m ok giving some sort of draft advantage to new players to make up for lack of keepers too

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

The Maestro posted:

Absolutely fine with adding a few people plus randomizing divisions. Last year was such an outlier in about every sense except that it was our first year - that is to say I hesitate to accept it as our “normal.” I’m ok giving some sort of draft advantage to new players to make up for lack of keepers too

They get an extra pick, but they are at the end so it would probably be fair to give them some sort of draft advantage.

EmotionlessThug
Feb 14, 2012

im probably gonna be away from internet for the next two weeks so please don't start the draft until after that

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
Completely fine with expanding, re-aligning divisions, adjusting playoff structure, whatever. Last year was fun but I echo the opinion that the whole year was weird, we started late, etc. so I'm not married to anything exactly as it was last year (though given we've picked keepers I'd be opposed to dramatically overhauling the scoring system or something, not that anyone's proposed that)

I'm not gonna go down swinging for this opinion but IMO you don't really need to do any special draft compensation for new players, a one keeper league doesn't necessarily spell the lasting doom of a dynasty or multi-keeper league would be and entering right now I don't think is all that much worse than picking 9th or something in the first place. Assuming they pick in the first after the keeper "picks" and then start the 2nd round, it's not getting to draft Jokic or Doncic but you can build a perfectly competitive core in those spots

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

EmotionlessThug posted:

im probably gonna be away from internet for the next two weeks so please don't start the draft until after that

Fair enough! There are still some dudes who need to find free agent homes.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Dutchy posted:

Completely fine with expanding, re-aligning divisions, adjusting playoff structure, whatever. Last year was fun but I echo the opinion that the whole year was weird, we started late, etc. so I'm not married to anything exactly as it was last year (though given we've picked keepers I'd be opposed to dramatically overhauling the scoring system or something, not that anyone's proposed that)

I'm not gonna go down swinging for this opinion but IMO you don't really need to do any special draft compensation for new players, a one keeper league doesn't necessarily spell the lasting doom of a dynasty or multi-keeper league would be and entering right now I don't think is all that much worse than picking 9th or something in the first place. Assuming they pick in the first after the keeper "picks" and then start the 2nd round, it's not getting to draft Jokic or Doncic but you can build a perfectly competitive core in those spots

I agree with your point that it is pefectly possible to put together a competitive team still even if there isn't any changes made. I don't totally track what you are saying though.

Current draft order is:

1. Tom Bombadillo Young Team
  2. Samwise ShootThree
  3. You Tolkien About Practice
  4. Low Ry-der
  5. EricCartman2000atYahoo
  6. The Orcs Were Setting Fruit Picks, But Morgorth Could Ball
  7. Durin's Tallest Kin
  8. Balrog Balls
  9. Shelob City
  10. Saruan Shoulda Hooped Cuz He Was Tall As Hell

With snaking on for the whole draft. I can set it to not start snaking until round 3, or round 4, or round 5.

So you are saying to put them in front for round 1? Then just normal snaking after that? Or am I misunderstanding?

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
I probably just worded it in a more confusing way than it needed to be, I'm off my posting game. Basically I'm just assuming any new team is picking twice before any established team makes a new pick and when I say "no draft compensation needed" it's because I think that's already fine.

I think I phrased it that way because an old football league I was in handled expansion with a "keeper round" where it was a snake draft that started 1 thru whatever with the keeper "picks," then the new teams picked, then the new teams led off the 2nd round and then the old teams made their 2nd round picks and things proceeded as usual. i don't actually know if that's possible to do on FF but it's not actually that important if it is, it's just my frame of reference. It's also not important to adhere to my understanding of how to expand a league from a football league that died a decade+ ago lol

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
That makes sense to me. I don't think I can actually set it up like that unfortunately though.

I am thinking maybe something like putting new players (if any) first and then snaking after 3 would be close to the same effect. Maybe.

I am probably going to slightly increasing the value of rebounds from 1.5 points per rebounds to 2 points per rebound. Also maybe a bonus for hitting 10 and 20 rebounds (it would be pretty small since there already is a bonus for double doubles and triple doubles but this would help centers out in our league a bit).

I also am wondering if we should slightly decrease assists from 9 per 5 to 8 per 5 (or maybe even 7 per 5) to slightly deemphasize point guards but maybe this is appropriate given their current impact on the league.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Here are everyone's Keepers:

Durin's Tallest Kin: B. Beal
Balrog Balls: L. Doncic
The Orcs Were Setting Fruity Picks, But Morgoth Could Ball: L. James
Saruman Shoulda Hooped Cuz He Was Tall As Hell: N. Jokic
EricCartman2000atYahoo: J. Embiid
Tom Bombadillo Young Team: K. Towns
You Tolkien About Practice: S. Curry
SheLob City: K. Durant
Low Ry-Der: G. Anteokounmpo
Samwise ShootThree: J. Randle

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Anyone opposed to starting this Friday?

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
Works for me

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
This Friday may conflict with a football draft for me unfortunately. And I'll be out of town camping most of next week.

I wasn't anticipating the draft to be this early, so if everyone else is keen to make picks before mid-September then I'll hand my spot over or prepare an auto-draft ranking.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
It doesn't have to be this early we can wait. It basically ends up spread over around a month.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Rick posted:

It doesn't have to be this early we can wait. It basically ends up spread over around a month.

Ohhh it isn't a live draft. In that case sure, start it whenever you'd like.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Well if you are gonna be without internet for a week it might not be great to start. Although maybe you go out into the woods like I go to the woods which is small hops back into the internet to get snacks or while on the place to a different wooded place.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Gonna be bouncing between campsites and AirBnBs so yeah some days I'll have limited network access. Back on the 14th though.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Is anyone in a hurry to start? The 15th is a really bad day for me but I can start it on the 16th.

Cart Mountain
Nov 1, 2004

i'm good whenever.

EmotionlessThug
Feb 14, 2012

same

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
ditto

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Hey guys yeah keen to get back into this. Starting on the 16th is fine with me. Not sure how this keeper thing is gonna work but we’ll see! I have Luka so that helps.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

im up for any date, i really really liked the e mail draft last time since the draft is maybe the most fun part and you get to do it for like a month lol

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat
Yeah I'm good whenever as well

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Okay I think everyone is in who is in (I think).

So the 16th it is.

If there is anyone who wants to join before that point you're welcome to just let me know.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Rick posted:

Okay I think everyone is in who is in (I think).

So the 16th it is.

If there is anyone who wants to join before that point you're welcome to just let me know.

Did you want to post in the other thread to see if anyone is keen to join?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Red Rox posted:

Did you want to post in the other thread to see if anyone is keen to join?

I have a couple times, I don't want to overdo it.

Chronicles
Oct 24, 2013

I'll join if you're still looking for people

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

So how exactly does the draft work in terms of the teams without keepers? I didn't quite follow. We're basically just picks 11+ in the first round (that's fine i just want to be sure i understood)

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Chronicles posted:

Sure! I will send you an invite.

DeimosRising posted:

So how exactly does the draft work in terms of the teams without keepers? I didn't quite follow. We're basically just picks 11+ in the first round (that's fine i just want to be sure i understood)

It is supposed to allow additional picks for you but going over the order I'm not sure it's working.

What I'm going to do is set it so the collective you (I am going to roll some dice to determine the order) pick first round 1 and round 2 (and you automatically will pick first round 3 because of snaking). I figure that will even things out.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Chronicles posted:

Ah you don't do PMs.

I'll just paste the join link. On the offhanded chance someone snipes it for some weird reason let me know https://www.fleaflicker.com/nba/leagues/27311/invited?eh=d6f6abc2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
All right, using the prestigious rolladie.net, rolling a d100 for each of the new teams, with the highest going first (on the chance someone else wishes to join I'll just roll a d100 for them too):

The first round results are:

Ho! Jim Boylendil, Jim Boylendillo 49
Borimir Don't Lie 48
Team 11 (Chronicle's team) 77

The second round result is:
Ho! Jim Boylendil, Jim Boylendillo 63
Borimir Don't Lie 25
Team 11 58

After that they will snake in the order that they signed up because that's how it works by default and that seems fine.