Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Neither the draft website or this forum respect the language of the Eldar so whatever the title might say, it is officially the Lothlórien Basketball Association.

The people at SAS are going to do a basketball league. A Fantasy basketball league.

The question is what sort of league should it be?

I am thinking H2H points.

This site apparently does not support auction drafts, which is a bummer to me. However it does support email drafts so we don't all have to show up to do this thing.

If you haven't posted already let me know if you'd like to join. We have the minimum to get started already but more are welcome.

E: 2021 CURRENT TEAM LIST
Thanks to rivetz

Rick fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Oct 4, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
I haven’t done fanty in a while besides the Purple Monkey Dishwasher league last year so I have no preference for anything. Not like I wouldn’t trust whatever bball related decision you’d make anyways

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
I'll let everyone else decide, but I'm in

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

im gonna be real bad at this but i think its important that anything related to elves be as lovely as possible

EmotionlessThug
Feb 14, 2012

i would like to play.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

The Maestro posted:

I haven’t done fanty in a while besides the Purple Monkey Dishwasher league last year so I have no preference for anything. Not like I wouldn’t trust whatever bball related decision you’d make anyways

You don't have PMs I guess there is no reason to not post the link: https://www.fleaflicker.com/nba/leagues/27311/invited?eh=e7ee10fb

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Anyone with any input on scoring? I removed most of the negatives because that isn't very fun. The ones I left were to balance out pure chucking or bad free throw shooters but I don't know if I did enough (went back and forth if there should be a negative for missed threes, decided not). I also made technicals a slight positive, because gently caress the police.

code:
Rule	Apply To
1 point for every Point	ALL
1 extra point when total Points is between 10 and 19 (inclusive)	ALL
2 extra points when total Points is between 20 and 29 (inclusive)	ALL
3 extra points when total Points is between 30 and 49 (inclusive)	ALL
5 extra points when total Points is greater than or equal to 50	ALL
9 points for every 5 Assists (1.8 per)	ALL
2 points for every Steal	ALL
2 points for every Blocked Shot	ALL
1 point for every 2 Points Off Turnovers (0.5 per)	ALL
5 points for every Double Double	ALL
2 points for every Triple Double	ALL
Shooting
1 point for every Field Goal Made	ALL
1 point for every 2 Free Throws Made (0.5 per)	ALL
3 points for every 2 Three Point Field Goals Made (1.5 per)	ALL
-1 point for every 3 Field Goals Missed (-0.33 per)	ALL
-1 point for every 2 Free Throws Missed (-0.5 per)	ALL
Rebounding
3 points for every 2 Rebounds (1.5 per)	ALL
Fouls
1 point for every 5 Technical Fouls (0.2 per)	ALL

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
I'll mostly defer to everyone else on settings cuz I haven't played fantasy basketball in a long time and was never good at it, but I will thumbs up the decision to cut down on negative scoring because in my experience it always felt like more of a punishment for having guys playing at all rather than having guys that suck

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I'll give this another day or so to see if anyone else is in and for people who have already said they're in to have a comfortable amount of time to sign up and such, and then I'll start the email draft. I have no idea what this is going to look like but it could be interesting to play in a league with a relatively small number of people.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Thank you
I’m in as Number 2 Sports Fan
The only other negative I would include would be TOVs but I also agree that who cares about negatives, let the hoopers hoop. And lol at technicals being a slight +

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat
I'm in if there's a slot, didn't have my poo poo together in time for most leagues kicking off, but this seems like a particularly nutty season for a fantasy league and I'd love to get one going. The scoring system you posted looks great to me

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

rivetz posted:

I'm in if there's a slot, didn't have my poo poo together in time for most leagues kicking off, but this seems like a particularly nutty season for a fantasy league and I'd love to get one going. The scoring system you posted looks great to me

Sure you would definitely be welcome. I think you just click the link above.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

The Maestro posted:

Thank you
I’m in as Number 2 Sports Fan
The only other negative I would include would be TOVs but I also agree that who cares about negatives, let the hoopers hoop. And lol at technicals being a slight +

I set it so every turnover after the fourth turnover is -.5, and every turnover after 10 is -1. I feel like Magic averaged nearly four turnovers a game so 4 free turnovers seems to be appropriate, and then it doesn't REALLY hurt until a guy has more than 10 turnovers which is pretty unarguably a bad game, not something that would stop you from playing LeBron or Luca.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Rick posted:

I set it so every turnover after the fourth turnover is -.5, and every turnover after 10 is -1. I feel like Magic averaged nearly four turnovers a game so 4 free turnovers seems to be appropriate, and then it doesn't REALLY hurt until a guy has more than 10 turnovers which is pretty unarguably a bad game, not something that would stop you from playing LeBron or Luca.

Good call. Turnovers might unfairly punish guys with high usage or lovely teammates or both.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
All righty I think we are ready to go. I clicked on "start the email draft."

I have no idea what this entails but I assume when it's your turn you'll get an email to draft someone.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
And we are all busy people so I am okay with no time limit although I also know that sometimes people sign up and things come up and they don't have internet for a month.

So should we have like a soft time limit of a day? Two days? Three days? A week? And if we hit that limit should I just draft someone for them at random? Draft the next highest player available?

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
I think something like a day or two makes sense, maybe with a weekend grace period, and I’m okay with you drafting the next best player. We can give Joploo until Monday/Tuesday because he/she is first. A week would be too long, the season is already over 10% done!

Again, whatever you decide Rick - I’m just throwing out my opinions so you don’t feel like you’re talking to yourself.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook
Thanks for setting this up dude! The scoring is very different to the Yahoo league that I'm in, so that's great.

Cool to have a nice chill draft too - the live one I did was way too stressful.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

The Maestro posted:

I think something like a day or two makes sense, maybe with a weekend grace period, and I’m okay with you drafting the next best player. We can give Joploo until Monday/Tuesday because he/she is first. A week would be too long, the season is already over 10% done!

Again, whatever you decide Rick - I’m just throwing out my opinions so you don’t feel like you’re talking to yourself.

Thank you, I really appreciate the bounce back, hahah. I appreciate it. I think Monday works for Joploo since this is out of no where and then after that we will do a day.

Red Rox posted:

Thanks for setting this up dude! The scoring is very different to the Yahoo league that I'm in, so that's great.

Cool to have a nice chill draft too - the live one I did was way too stressful.

Not a problem and tell me about it. Usually scheduling the draft is the hardest part and it's rare that half the people even show. Not to mention doing the draft, especially auction style how I normally play where you might not get a good player at all. With our number of players we have a pretty good chance of having two really good players each.

Rick fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Jan 9, 2021

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

i want my basky team NOW

a day is probably a pretty good wait, my schedule is kind of weird cause i work late so hopefully I don't make the draft take an entire month by doing every pick at like midnight est(the only timezone anyone itt is probably in, wont be listening to evidence otherwise)

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
Curious if this is filled up or if you can add in another GM before Round 1 ends?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

kalensc posted:

Curious if this is filled up or if you can add in another GM before Round 1 ends?

If you're still interested, because no one has actually been drafted yet, I can just go ahead and stop it and let you in, and if it picks Japloo first again I will go ahead and draft someone for them.

Go ahead and click the link above and sign up.

E: Interesting, apparently you can just pause the draft and then someone can sign up.

Rick fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Jan 11, 2021

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

i asked another buddy to join too, dunno if he will. on the plus side coronavirus will be CURED when we finally play and none of my picks will miss a single game!!

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
That is cool. If possible have him join today so we can get drafting tomorrow.

The good news is we will be starting right around when everyone starts to tune out of their fantasy team.

creamcorn
Oct 26, 2007

automatic gun for fast, continuous firing
i joined, idk why pop dog is talking about me like i don't post here lol (very rude)

EmotionlessThug
Feb 14, 2012

With the first overall selection in the 2021 LBA Draft, I have selected Nikola "Jock Itch" Jokic

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I’m so excited for a successful pick

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
drat I was hoping against hope I could get him 3rd or 4th.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

lebron!!! JAMES

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Fine, I’ll take Curry. If nothing else there’s bound to be a Warriors stan in our ranks who will make a lopsided trade with me

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

creamcorn, being from the state of california, is a lifelong golden state warriors fan. his favorite golden state warriors are wilt chamberlain and david lee

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook
I took Luka I'm hoping he gets his poo poo together.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I am gonna give Japloo shorter than normal since we already gave them a whole weekend. Or the normal time if I hear from them which I have not yet.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
For twelve years you’ve been asking, “Who is Jop Loo?”

creamcorn
Oct 26, 2007

Jop To My Lou

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
All righty. I did this the over-complicated Rick. way. Joploo' (I don't know where I was seeing an A there but whatever) was assigned Karl Anthony-Towns.

For transparency's sake, I sorted the list by 2020-2021 projected draft order, then added the next 5 players (since there are 4 remaining picks in the first round, plus the player who would've been their pick if it was possible for me to move them to the back) and then put them in Random.org and it spit out Towns as the next pick.

If you want to swap with me when I pick, Jo, wherever, you are, we can do that. Although with Towns cleared to play now, this is a good pick.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

you will forever regret the day you wronged joploo

creamcorn
Oct 26, 2007

very unhappy anthony davis was dangled in front of me and then drafted away while i was sleeping, sonbonis is an ok consolation prize though.

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
almost found myself going Embiid & Harden at the turn but wouldn't have been able to look at myself in the mirror

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

forgot to sign up for this because i secretly exist in the euphronian plane of spacetime