Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

duomo
Oct 9, 2007

Soiled Meat

Ardennes posted:

The Max is really inconvenient to use if you don’t live exactly on one of its right of ways (many of which are just in out of the way spots) and often it less useful than taking a bus unless you specifically are going to downtown from a couple select areas. Also, since it is so slow downtown it makes it a lot less useful to use it across the metro area.

Looks good on paper but it has serious draw backs.

Portland doesn’t have the worst system (well theoretically) but the fact that it has such low levels of service and it is so downtown centric really undermines it.

yeah, portland's transit mode share having been basically stagnant since 2000 despite multiple line openings is an indictment of the routings being built

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

actionjackson posted:

no I live in prospect park right on the minneapolis/st paul border, I hate the suburbs. My parents live in the suburbs though.

if carsharing was actually plentiful I would definitely consider it as an alternative but there's only I think five cars within 2 miles of me haha

At least you have the transitway nearby. I lived in prospect for years and took that to the dinkytown Greenway right into downtown. I still miss that bike access.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

duomo posted:

yeah, portland's transit mode share having been basically stagnant since 2000 despite multiple line openings is an indictment of the routings being built

Yeah, the Green and Orange lines in particular really didn’t add much in ridership and if you know the city it makes a lot of sense since they service relatively marginal portions of largely suburban neighborhoods and generally just connect to the city center and have right of ways in middle of freeways/rail yards/golf courses.

Also they hiked basic fares up to 2.50 a ride back in the early 2010s which really capped off ridership. Even today that is more expensive then a lot of cities that are significantly larger and with better service than Portland.

Granted, the city has also has been ignoring biking infrastructure as well with only a handful of projects done here and there over the last few years. Portland still has been then average infrastructure in general but it has been phoning it in.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 03:12 on Aug 29, 2021

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

actionjackson posted:

the entire infrastructure of the US was designed for cars, you can't blame people for that, it's the loving government and auto industry

you have a car so it takes 20 minutes to get to work instead of three hours via five buses! gently caress you!!!! ???

yeah gently caress you

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

Sphyre posted:

thank you cars, very cool!

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

yeah gently caress you

what kind of suv do you drive

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

lobster shirt posted:

although i was really excited earlier this year because a lovely condemned building got knocked down in my area and i was hoping for something cool to go there but its just a drat gas station (normal sized) :hotpickle:

Why would you assume that? Anything that's getting built anymore is an ugly piece of poo poo

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

actionjackson posted:

what kind of suv do you drive

https://i.imgur.com/aStvq7j.mp4

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
drat it cuts out right before the crash

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Milo and POTUS posted:

Why would you assume that? Anything that's getting built anymore is an ugly piece of poo poo

well a bar or restaurant or shop or townhomes or a small apartment building or basically anything other than more fuckin car infrastructure would have been better.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Fair enough

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

lol somebody on my city's nextdoor made a big post complaining about getting parking tickets for blocking the sidewalk with their car. this is what car brain poisoning looks like, where not only do you demand transport infrastructure cater to you, but even that the minimal alternate ways of getting around be subordinated. and like seriously there are a ton of neighborhoods in this city that don't even have sidewalks lol

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
People always scream "Eco-Fascist!" at me for saying this but they're morons. The truth is that America is going to have to do a massive amount of Urban Restructuring and resettlement in the next century and a huge part of that will unfortunately include essentially telling lots of people "Look we can't environmentally support this McMansion exurb in the Arizona desert. You're going to have to move into a more compact metropolitan area." Because if we don't do that then the environmental collapse will destroy these exurbs/suburbs anyway. We need to do it where we can do it gradually and smoothly while providing the displaced new homes and compensating them for their lives being upended through rigorous social services, because otherwise it will happen all at once some day when there's suddenly no gas to get people out of these suburban deathtraps or stock their grocery stores. Or the power and AC goes out in 120 degree weather. And in that case lots of people are going to die. And this will mean a lot of really inefficient uses of space are going to have to be prohibited namely these giant highways and the car culture they enable. Like LA ( just using it since it's the most well known example of Car Blight) as it currently exists really can't be allowed to continue.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Americans have proven our resiliency to accepting hundreds of thousands of preventable dead

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

galagazombie posted:

People always scream "Eco-Fascist!" at me for saying this but they're morons. The truth is that America is going to have to do a massive amount of Urban Restructuring and resettlement in the next century and a huge part of that will unfortunately include essentially telling lots of people "Look we can't environmentally support this McMansion exurb in the Arizona desert. You're going to have to move into a more compact metropolitan area." Because if we don't do that then the environmental collapse will destroy these exurbs/suburbs anyway. We need to do it where we can do it gradually and smoothly while providing the displaced new homes and compensating them for their lives being upended through rigorous social services, because otherwise it will happen all at once some day when there's suddenly no gas to get people out of these suburban deathtraps or stock their grocery stores. Or the power and AC goes out in 120 degree weather. And in that case lots of people are going to die. And this will mean a lot of really inefficient uses of space are going to have to be prohibited namely these giant highways and the car culture they enable. Like LA ( just using it since it's the most well known example of Car Blight) as it currently exists really can't be allowed to continue.

they'll die of displacement like most of the climate refugees

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

galagazombie posted:

because i think you and other people would like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IsMeKl-Sv0

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

galagazombie posted:

Once it's apparent to even the stupidest people that suburbs will become uninhabitable, I believe that the rich and privileged will begin fleeing to metropolitan areas. Elderly/poor/bipoc people will be forced into the suburbs, which will become like ghettos, only worse because they'll be even farther away from services and even more expensive for cities to maintain. In some places this is already happening. I'm sure that the suburbs will eventually die, but it won't be the privileged SUV drivers who brought them into being who will be paying the price.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

they have simultaneously the busiest and cleanest bathrooms of any gas station

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
walking is political

https://twitter.com/A_W_Gordon/status/1432332333865111556

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
The only moral fascism is eco-fascism, and make no mistake, eco-fascism is coming.

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Bernie Ecclestone should be killed

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

paul_soccer12 posted:

went to wikipedia for a fun time, here he is speaking about hitler:

"terrible to say this I suppose, but apart from the fact that Hitler got taken away and persuaded to do things that I have no idea whether he wanted to do or not, he was – in the way that he could command a lot of people – able to get things done."

and then a follow-on regarding UK politics:

"If you have a look at a democracy it hasn't done a lot of good for many countries — including this one"

and then goes on to recommend some british fascist as prime minister lmao

:waycool:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

paul_soccer12 posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2010/dec/12/bernie-ecclestone-muggers

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
lmao

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

https://twitter.com/A_W_Gordon/status/1432333033038913538

Tale as old as time, "everyone else should take transit so that my car trip isn't slowed down by congestion!"

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

no cool car posting in the car hate thread :mad:

if i can restrain myself so can you

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

FYI this type of spectacle car use is 100% a-ok and anyone who has a problem with it is myopic, idiotic, or more likely a classist misanthrope.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

yard salad posted:

Once it's apparent to even the stupidest people that suburbs will become uninhabitable, I believe that the rich and privileged will begin fleeing to metropolitan areas. Elderly/poor/bipoc people will be forced into the suburbs, which will become like ghettos, only worse because they'll be even farther away from services and even more expensive for cities to maintain. In some places this is already happening. I'm sure that the suburbs will eventually die, but it won't be the privileged SUV drivers who brought them into being who will be paying the price.

They'll definitely try this, but I don't think it will really work. They totally will try and ship all the poor/poc/olds into these emptying suburbs, and as you pointed out they already are in some places, but they won't be able to keep them there. Because as you said, they'll stop supporting the suburbs existence once well off whites aren't the ones living in them. But things as basic as food only work in the suburbs thank to stuff like cheap gas making mega grocery stores feasible. And no one will stay still when they're starving to death. If that happens you can expect roving bands of those who were pushed out into the suburbs moving on the city centers. My greatest fear is that, unable to corral them in the suburbs, we will start putting people in concentration camps.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

In fact my plan to de-car the USA in it's more aggressive phases involves a whole fleet of flame belching truckasaurii roaming the asphalt of the US for single occupany large vehicles upon which it shall vainly attempt to satisfy their bottomless appetite. They will siphon all the fuel they use from the cars they rip in half and devour to the delight of millions and thus are carbon neutral

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Epic High Five posted:

In fact my plan to de-car the USA in it's more aggressive phases involves a whole fleet of flame belching truckasaurii roaming the asphalt of the US for single occupany large vehicles upon which it shall vainly attempt to satisfy their bottomless appetite. They will siphon all the fuel they use from the cars they rip in half and devour to the delight of millions and thus are carbon neutral

gently caress yes.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Epic High Five posted:

But what predator will we have to introduce to take care of the Truckasaurus population.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

galagazombie posted:

But what predator will we have to introduce to take care of the Truckasaurus population.

They either starve for lack of fuel or kill us all, the choice is ours

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

galagazombie posted:

No worries, truckasaurus is a highly territorial creature and violence between individuals keeps their population in check

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

akadajet posted:

they have simultaneously the busiest and cleanest bathrooms of any gas station

how do they do it folks

Who Is Paul Blart
Oct 22, 2010
I’m gonna go buy 5 gallons of gas and pour it directly down a storm drain

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

cars at shows or zoos are no biggie, just like airplanes

the problem is that they're loving everywhere

containing them there is perfect, bye

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Lastgirl posted:

cars at shows or zoos are no biggie, just like airplanes

the problem is that they're loving everywhere

containing them there is perfect, bye

this is correct

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

galagazombie posted:

They'll definitely try this, but I don't think it will really work. They totally will try and ship all the poor/poc/olds into these emptying suburbs, and as you pointed out they already are in some places, but they won't be able to keep them there. Because as you said, they'll stop supporting the suburbs existence once well off whites aren't the ones living in them. But things as basic as food only work in the suburbs thank to stuff like cheap gas making mega grocery stores feasible. And no one will stay still when they're starving to death. If that happens you can expect roving bands of those who were pushed out into the suburbs moving on the city centers. My greatest fear is that, unable to corral them in the suburbs, we will start putting people in concentration camps.

the diffuse nature of modern suburbs explicitly discourages the organization required for activism, much less riots, which I think you’re describing - although a stepford wives/ mad max crossover sounds like an apt description of what might happen. I think in this hypothetical death of the suburbs at the hands of capital neglect, there will be invented some kind of typically neoliberal solution to exploit last of the people living there

there are already decaying postwar suburbs in my deeply segregated Midwest city that are completely car-dependent. the whole house of cards is held up by cheap gas and lovely used cars. the moment those become unaffordable, poo poo will go down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

you want a Cars reference? Lightning McQueef hehehe