Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Is it the current translation? Because if not the lack of the modern translation in the SFC breaks even with the lack of cool stuff in the Switch port, imho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Ofecks posted:

Don't get too excited. All the awesome monster animations have been removed, Pachisi/TNT is gone, no monster medals to collect, and worst of all (and there's really no excuse for this): the framerate sucks. That last thing goes for all 3 retro DQs on Switch. I don't understand how they'd release them in that state.

Maybe hold off with the Switch port until the remake and give the SFC version a try if you haven't already. There's a fully-complete translation patch for it.
...so dig out the GBC cart I still own, then. Gotcha.

Does deleting your save on the GBC version retain the monster medals? I'm a grown-rear end dude and I want to respect my 13-year-old self's grind, even if I never quite got all the silvers.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Ofecks posted:

Don't get too excited. All the awesome monster animations have been removed, Pachisi/TNT is gone, no monster medals to collect, and worst of all (and there's really no excuse for this): the framerate sucks. That last thing goes for all 3 retro DQs on Switch. I don't understand how they'd release them in that state.

Maybe hold off with the Switch port until the remake and give the SFC version a try if you haven't already. There's a fully-complete translation patch for it.

Mini medals are in the game. They're just called mini medals.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Elephant Ambush posted:

Mini medals are in the game. They're just called mini medals.

Monster medals are not mini medals, they're a thing that was added in the GBC version.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Prism posted:

Monster medals are not mini medals, they're a thing that was added in the GBC version.

Ah, my bad. I never played the GBC version. How are the medals different?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Elephant Ambush posted:

Ah, my bad. I never played the GBC version. How are the medals different?

They're just dropped randomly by the monster on the medal (there's one for everything - including bosses, which you can get from refights in the bonus dungeon or as rewards from same). You can trade them by link cable. They come in bronze, silver and gold and you can't get a silver before you get a bronze, or a gold before you get a silver, for a specific monster. You can also trade in two bronzes for a silver or two silvers for a gold.

They don't do anything except the second bonus dungeon, which requires every silver medal in the game to complete, and every gold medal for the best reward (which is a sword, so if you can get it, you don't need it). Yes, it is that grindy.

Edit: Also, they can only drop if you don't get a normal treasure box, so contrary to common sense when you want drops, don't bring a thief.

Prism fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Aug 30, 2021

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Prism posted:

Edit: Also, they can only drop if you don't get a normal treasure box, so contrary to common sense when you want drops, don't bring a thief.
Which is okay, cause thieves aren't that great in DQ3 anyway!

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Which is okay, cause thieves aren't that great in DQ3 anyway!

Sure, but the one thing they do do is force more drops. That is just a downside for this particular drop.

...I don't like the monster medals.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

i wonder if anyone has ever actually done the monster medal bonus dungeon legitimately, because i cannot imagine

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

TurnipFritter posted:

i wonder if anyone has ever actually done the monster medal bonus dungeon legitimately, because i cannot imagine
I did do the all bronze part, but did not get all silvers.

...meanwhile there are two different gamefaqs posters that got all golds without hacking them in. Because of course there are.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I dont play the GBC version of III since the monster medals are just an added element of grinding, to an already grindy game.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Anyway Dragon Quest 8 trip report:
I'm learning that I've basically forgotten all of the dungeons in this game? With the towns, I can usually remember either layouts (like Orkutsk) or events/characters associated with it (like... most of them), but the dungeons are like... "there was a dungeon here? I mean, of course there was, because obvi there's gotta be an associated dungeon for this story beat, and yet I do not remember a single thing about it"

The 3DS version's new alchemy recipes and new sidequest rewards means there's a lot less gear buying - I think I've bought two pieces of equipment since before Dhoulmagus and I just got Red, and that was to use in Alchemy to get Angelo a Phantom Mask and Jessica and a Thinking Cap. Gotta do a world tour now and unlock all the Ultimate Key doors and see what I have to work with/see if I have enough stamps to get Red a free armor upgrade before I lay down anymore cash.

Gonna try and get Morrie tonight, maybe the RNG will be in my favor and the monster squad will target the Cure Slime first instead of wasting turns trying to slowly poke the Liquid Metal Slime to death.

Is there any consensus on Red builds? I'm thinking Fans for Fan Dango and Fan-Kazing, but I can see the appeal of Whips since Red actually has the Strength to back up the Gringham Whip. Morrie on the other hand seems straightforward: Claws and Passion.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
removing monster medals seems like a step up, tbh.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

DQ11:S PC Gamepad issues

When I transition into another map I can't move my Girly-haired plank forward for second. He'll only go left or right.

Half the time the game wont recognise my Xbox pad unless I restart my PC with it attached on startup.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

The GBC version of DQ3 you can absolutely ignore the monster medals, but also I generally will recommend it because the pixel work on that game was gorgeous.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

TurnipFritter posted:

Anyway Dragon Quest 8 trip report:
I'm learning that I've basically forgotten all of the dungeons in this game? With the towns, I can usually remember either layouts (like Orkutsk) or events/characters associated with it (like... most of them), but the dungeons are like... "there was a dungeon here? I mean, of course there was, because obvi there's gotta be an associated dungeon for this story beat, and yet I do not remember a single thing about it"

The 3DS version's new alchemy recipes and new sidequest rewards means there's a lot less gear buying - I think I've bought two pieces of equipment since before Dhoulmagus and I just got Red, and that was to use in Alchemy to get Angelo a Phantom Mask and Jessica and a Thinking Cap. Gotta do a world tour now and unlock all the Ultimate Key doors and see what I have to work with/see if I have enough stamps to get Red a free armor upgrade before I lay down anymore cash.

Gonna try and get Morrie tonight, maybe the RNG will be in my favor and the monster squad will target the Cure Slime first instead of wasting turns trying to slowly poke the Liquid Metal Slime to death.

Is there any consensus on Red builds? I'm thinking Fans for Fan Dango and Fan-Kazing, but I can see the appeal of Whips since Red actually has the Strength to back up the Gringham Whip. Morrie on the other hand seems straightforward: Claws and Passion.

Red = Knives, Fans and Rougery. Blade Cascade is amazing. It is 300%-400% damage to single targets for only 10mp.

Morrie: Passion, Claws and Clubs.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

lmao Death Dance actually works. for 5 MP you get an instant death attack that targets all enemies and actually works, Angelo's lovely instant death spells are taking a massive L

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I wish that I had something remotely comfortable to play GBC games on. I can do...okay with GBA games on my DS lite, but me holding anything that plays GB/GBC games resembles King Kong holding Fay Wray.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

If you have a vita it's a very nice feeling handheld that can emulate GBC.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

JustJeff88 posted:

I wish that I had something remotely comfortable to play GBC games on. I can do...okay with GBA games on my DS lite, but me holding anything that plays GB/GBC games resembles King Kong holding Fay Wray.

You probably have a computer. Play your GBC games on that, run an HDMI cable to your TV if you want to lay on the couch instead of sit at a desk.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Blowing up a game boy sized screen to sixty inches seems Ill advised.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Gaius Marius posted:

actually it's cool OP

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Evil Fluffy posted:

You probably have a computer. Play your GBC games on that, run an HDMI cable to your TV if you want to lay on the couch instead of sit at a desk.

I've already done all of that, actually, and I have a Retron 5 and Game Boy Player. I would just like to be able to play portably, for obvious reasons.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I have a flash cart for my GBC that I bought to do GB dev on (playing stuff you've made on actual hardware is such a thrill) and it was both pretty cheap and absolutely worth the nostalgia.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Emulation handhelds like Anbernic's 280V and 351P/M are a cool way to do it. Can even use shaders to make the screen more.. old LCD accurate, if you're so inclined.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

You could grab one of those Chinese emulator portables. I've got a 280m and it feels great playing dragon warrior monsters on it.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Gaius Marius posted:

It owns actually

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

So I'm playing Dragon Quest 11 after skipping every single game except 1.

The pace of this game is break neck. Encounters last two rounds and I only do a few battles every area. And it's still a huge game. If this was paced like a traditional jrpg it would probably be a thousand hours long.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

JustJeff88 posted:

I've already done all of that, actually, and I have a Retron 5 and Game Boy Player. I would just like to be able to play portably, for obvious reasons.
Hack the DS Lite and emulate? Hell, a 3ds is an even bigger option in the same vein.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I dunno if I'd call DQ11's pace "breakneck", but if you're comparing it to DQ1 it's certainly a hell of a lot less grindy.

I guess if you're still in the chase section of Act 1 where you're constantly going to new places to get away from Hendrick and Jasper, the pace certainly moves faster there, but imo it slows down the further you go on into the game.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Commander Keene posted:

I dunno if I'd call DQ11's pace "breakneck", but if you're comparing it to DQ1 it's certainly a hell of a lot less grindy.

I guess if you're still in the chase section of Act 1 where you're constantly going to new places to get away from Hendrick and Jasper, the pace certainly moves faster there, but imo it slows down the further you go on into the game.

I'm thinking of all other jrpgs I've played, where you'd maybe do a few dozen battles, that last a dozen turns each, in each zone. In DQ11 it feels like I'm dipping in, then straight out of a zone.

Compared to say, Shin Megami Tensei 3 or a Final Fantasy where I could expect to be in a dungeon for an hour plus, it's just roaring by.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Gaius Marius posted:

When you're sitting 8+ feet away from it it really isn't. If you're sitting 8 inches from it, sure it's a bit much.

Psychomax
Apr 4, 2009

kirbysuperstar posted:

Emulation handhelds like Anbernic's 280V and 351P/M are a cool way to do it. Can even use shaders to make the screen more.. old LCD accurate, if you're so inclined.

I second this option; I have the 280v and it's the perfect little Gameboy emulator. ~$70 from AliExpress.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Gaius Marius posted:

Were you even born when the Super Game Boy came out?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Barely

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Do weapons affect spells at all in DQ7? They only mention raising Attack but I wasn't sure if this was a FFXIV situation where "weapon damage' actually just makes everything better.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Countblanc posted:

Do weapons affect spells at all in DQ7? They only mention raising Attack but I wasn't sure if this was a FFXIV situation where "weapon damage' actually just makes everything better.

No, spells in DQ7 have a fixed damage range and aren't affected by stats or equipment. The only thing that affects the damage you do with them is enemy resistance (enemies take 100%, 75%, 40% or 0% of base damage based on resistance) and some buff spells. Its why in DQ buffs/debuffs and physical attacks are almost always the best option against bosses, very few spells actually scale well into the endgame or against single targets.

DQ8 and on start having wisdom add some power to spells but they don't interact with weapons that don't boost wisdom.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

God bless the Wagon, and the fact that Angelo and Morrie were in the Wagon, and that they both have Kazing. Morrie is honestly incredible.

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

I played DQ3 last month and I remember reading somewhere not to spend skill seeds to boost already strong skills as there is a limit skills can reach (255?).
I don't need to min/max but is there anything similar in XI? Or can I beef up characters willy-nilly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
On gamefaqs there is a chart that shows how many seeds each character needs to max out. iirc, each needs many to max out a stat, so you wont be "wasting" any of them. That said giving veronica defense seeds and serena the magic power seeds will pay off early.

ate shit on live tv fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Sep 3, 2021