Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

TOOT BOOT posted:

I can't imagine the remasters got a bunch of people to run out and buy Doom/Quake if they didn't already own them, and if they did the remaster is free.

I bought all the Dooms and now Quake on the Switch, and put actual play time into all of them. I imagine the console side alone makes it worth their while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Given the Doom re-releases sold pretty well even on console I have a suspicion the Quake one will have done just fine.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Helps that they got the prices right.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

The United States posted:

Speaking of forgotten Mac FPS games, I know Prime Target has gotten some mention here as an early attempt to do realistic modern settings in 2.5D, but there's an even more obscure one called Sensory Overload, which is ugly and bad but notable for including a simple polygon engine to model believable furniture within its very limited Wolfenstein-esque engine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5beES_kCtM

Thank you for this! More than once I've asked on these forums what was the "old Mac fps that seemed like it was set in a hospital?". I'd played it at a friend's house. It's this.

What's stupid is that I've been correctly answered each time I asked because goons know their poo poo, but I personally kept forgetting their answer months afterwards.

I wanna say it'll stick this time but I don't know for sure. :shobon:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Add the video to your bookmarks and just call it "mac fps hospital you idiot" or something

Barudak
May 7, 2007

kirbysuperstar posted:

Add the video to your bookmarks and just call it "mac fps hospital you idiot" or something

That_game_where_you_use_skittles_to_cast_magic.jpg has served me well

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Barudak posted:

That_game_where_you_use_skittles_to_cast_magic.jpg has served me well

mine are wikipedia bookmarks for Ted Williams and Alexander Mogilny

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

kirbysuperstar posted:

This got a genuine :lol: out of me.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

TOOT BOOT posted:

I can't imagine the remasters got a bunch of people to run out and buy Doom/Quake if they didn't already own them,
Why not? DOOM and Quake are genre-defining games that everyone knows but younger folks (which is to say, adults in their 20s) may not have previously owned themselves and seriously tried. Sure, the games were always around, but it still takes a much more intentional effort to get DOS DOOM/Quake up and running in a modern source port than the remasters which are right there on every platform with a few QoL benefits to boot.

TOOT BOOT posted:

and if they did the remaster is free.
Free if you already own DOOM/Quake on Steam or Bethesda or whatever. But for folks who own physical copies of DOOM/Quake for PC or past consoles the remasters were certainly not free, but compelling purchases none the less.

And now with the physical collectors editions it's coming full circle where I'm dropping $80 on DOOM and Quake big boxes again.

caleb
Jul 17, 2004
...rough day at the orifice.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

It's worth it. I like the sewer level where it's super dark/claustrophobic and there are shotgun punks that wreck your health. You can't see really well but you can hear their wallet chains rattling and it's spooky.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Free if you already own DOOM/Quake on Steam or Bethesda or whatever. But for folks who own physical copies of DOOM/Quake for PC or past consoles the remasters were certainly not free, but compelling purchases none the less.

I don't know but I think the people who've got a copy from 1996 and demand a free remaster now are being a bit unreasonable. It's not just for Quake. Myst recently got a full remaster and the devs had to put a notification on the store page explaining how "no, you don't get this for free if you bought the game in 1993."

I never understood the mentality that if you bought the game once, that means you are now entitled to it in every form on every platform in perpetuity.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
Actually they should, just like how I have received Mad Max 2 on VHS, DVD, bluray and stream by providing proof of my cinema tickets.

The Donut
Aug 28, 2008

Zelensky's Zealots
Soiled Meat
I've just completed Quake for the first time, thanks to the remaster. I bounced off the demo when it released, and I tried replaying it several times throughout the years but it just never clicked until now.

Are the mission packs worth playing through? I'm tempted to play them in order, but I've seen the comments about Dimensions of the Machine and I'm wondering if I should dive straight into it.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

The Vile Stuff posted:

Actually they should, just like how I have received Mad Max 2 on VHS, DVD, bluray and stream by providing proof of my cinema tickets.

They didn't give it to you on Betamax or UMD? What if you want to watch it on your PSP? Sounds like you should demand your money back.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
hd-dvd as well imo

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The Donut posted:

I've just completed Quake for the first time, thanks to the remaster. I bounced off the demo when it released, and I tried replaying it several times throughout the years but it just never clicked until now.

Are the mission packs worth playing through? I'm tempted to play them in order, but I've seen the comments about Dimensions of the Machine and I'm wondering if I should dive straight into it.

I think they’re all worth playing. They’re all short.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Dramicus posted:

I don't know but I think the people who've got a copy from 1996 and demand a free remaster now are being a bit unreasonable. It's not just for Quake. Myst recently got a full remaster and the devs had to put a notification on the store page explaining how "no, you don't get this for free if you bought the game in 1993."

I never understood the mentality that if you bought the game once, that means you are now entitled to it in every form on every platform in perpetuity.

okay but To Be Fair I think they cite the original 1993 version as an example since it makes it sound ridiculous, but it was only 7 years ago that Cyan put out realMyst.

The real problem of course is that they decided to make yet another Myst remake while Riven languishes in obscurity :argh:

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

The Donut posted:

I really liked Scourge of Armagon and Dimension of the Past, but wasn't particularly smitten by Dissolution of Eternity. That said, I do have some good news: you really, really don't have to play the expansions in order. This isn't a game with deep and intricate lore, it's a game where dopamine-infused shotgun-wielding morons fight side-by-side with armored knights with bog-standard swords. If you wanna jump straight to the new episode, by God, jump straight to it.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

The Donut posted:

Probably save Dimension of the Machine for last as it will probably overshadow everything else. But they are all worth going through once.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

yeah i will absolutely vouch for all the extra quake episodes. the quality can be kind of all over the place with the earlier stuff but in general it's just more quake at the very least and worth checking out

manero
Jan 30, 2006

I'm sloooowly working my way through Scourge, and there is simply not enough ammo on Hard. I'm probably just a bad player, but hard feels way less balanced ammowise than the first four episodes. I just don't want to go after three fiends and two vores with my axe.

I'll probably dial back the difficulty back to normal when I start the next episode, otherwise I've been enjoying SoA's levels.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Dramicus posted:

I can't imagine there's a lot of people with proof of ownership of the original Myst so that just seems like a missed opportunity for some good word of mouth.

I've got 2 boxed copies suckers!!!

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I'm really enjoying Dimension of the Machine - the hub structure is nice for variety, all the levels look great, the individual encounters are fun, and the little stuff like scripted environmental changes (like the lava drop in blacksmiths) and shortcuts you unlock make them fun to explore.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

The Vile Stuff posted:

George Miller's a nice chap, isn't he :)

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Yeah, I feel like if you own a previous version of a game that you should be able to get the remaster/remake at least for a discount.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Dramicus posted:

In some cases companies have honored free upgrade/ownership transfers, so that Q&A is probably more preemptive clarification then a problem of people asking, particularly given the kinds of people who were buying Myst in 1993 having some overlap with the kinds of folks that try to return something to a store they bought multiple years ago.

Dramicus posted:

On the flip side, you have companies that are entitled enough to charge full price (or more) for next gen ports that don't add anything. (Not accusing Myst of this, mind you.)

I can totally see a consumer-protection argument that if you're going to only own a license for a game, and not own the game itself, then why should that license carry forward? But practically speaking, it's kind of silly if you have high effort remasters or remakes.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

caleb posted:

It's worth it. I like the sewer level where it's super dark/claustrophobic and there are shotgun punks that wreck your health. You can't see really well but you can hear their wallet chains rattling and it's spooky.

Wallet chain shotgun punks are in Prime Target, Rupert's hospital shooter with primitive polygons is Sensory Overload - though both are Mac FPSes that have Hexen-ish hubs, and there's subterranean levels in both, and in both you eavesdrop on a walkie-talkie for plotpoints, and they both have conventional political intrigue premises that take a hard turn towards blaster rifles and ninjas at a certain point...

I'm surprised that after all this time there isn't an Aleph One fork for running Damage Incorporated / Prime Target / ZPC, I'd especially love another go through Prime Target that didn't involve Sheepshaver

edit: it just occurred to me that last week in this very thread I said that nobody ever talks about Sensory Overload :v:

DoombatINC fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Aug 30, 2021

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

DoombatINC posted:

edit: it just occurred to me that last week in this very thread I said that nobody ever talks about Sensory Overload :v:

And I wouldn't have batted an eye, since I can never remember the name of this game, and can only point it out via screenshots.

Not anymore, though. I think just me posting about it is enouhh for it to stick in my brain.

And whenever Civvie gets around to it, well....

I wonder if he'll ever do Goldeneye and/or Perfect Dark :thunk:

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Dramicus posted:

Myst isn't a great example though because there's already two older versions on Steam in addition to the remake. So Cyan is taking the opposite approach of Betheda and instead of upgrading everyone who did buy one (or both?!) the older versions on Steam they're releasing yet another. Also the names of them are totally unhelpful.

Dramicus posted:

I think there's still some fuzziness around expectations about how things should work in digital marketplaces, and we're just now reaching the point where Steam has been around long enough that games originally released on Steam are now seeing remakes also release on Steam.

Like, if I bought "Myst: Masterpiece Edition" on Steam when it was first listed ten years ago, I wouldn't necessarily expect a free update to the remake. But I would be pretty miffed if I bought the old Myst two weeks ago (it's still listed and still for sale) and the remake shadow drops two weeks later.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Aug 30, 2021

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Myst isn't a great example though because there's already two older versions on Steam in addition to the remake. So Cyan is taking the opposite approach of Betheda and instead of upgrading everyone who did buy one (or both?!) the older versions on Steam they're releasing yet another. Also the names of them are totally unhelpful.

I think there's still some fuzziness around expectations about how things should work in digital marketplaces, and we're just now reaching the point where Steam has been around long enough that games originally released on Steam are now seeing remakes also release on Steam.

Like, if I bought "Myst: Masterpiece Edition" on Steam when it was first listed ten years ago, I wouldn't necessarily expect a free update to the remake. But I would be pretty miffed if I bought the old Myst two weeks ago (it's still listed and still for sale) and the remake shadow drops two weeks later.

Fair enough, that's a good point. I suppose the way Quake was handled is probably one of the better ways where existing owners get the update for free but also retain access to the original version. An example of it being handled poorly is what Blizzard did with Warcraft 3, where they hosed up the remaster and also hosed up the original version for people who owned it previously.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

i think if you buy the old version of a game after the remake is announced it’s kind of on you. just wait until the new one comes out if that’s what you wanted

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Weedle posted:

i think if you buy the old version of a game after the remake is announced it’s kind of on you. just wait until the new one comes out if that’s what you wanted
Sometimes remakes are announced early and end up delayed, indefinitely delayed, or canceled.

I think a good way for Cyan to have handled this on Steam would have been to make a bundle containing the old version(s) and the remake, priced the same as the remake. That way anyone who already owns the old version could pay the difference to get the new version as an "upgrade" (I think you can do this?), and anyone new to the series could try both versions if they want.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Weedle posted:

Unless they announce a remaster a year in advance, chances are people buying an 'oldie but goodie' at full price a decade after its release are gonna be mighty pissed about their sucker-buy.

It's a big topic as while the Myst case is pretty clearly cut (only muddled by 'Why are you still making this one game?'), a lot of other titles are being really predatory with their modernization of the market. FIFA, HITMAN 1&2, etc. It's good to discuss what's ok and what's not.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I think in the case of Myst its mostly a matter of Cyan still needing to keep the lights on while continuing to make the same increasingly niche game. On the flip side the situation with Quake is much better than can generally be expected for any smaller studio. Bethesda has the resources to throw down on a great remastering and then practically give it away just to strengthen their brand.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

If some guy still has his 25 year old copy of the thing you made a new version of and he cares enough to want the new one, I dunno, maybe just fuckin give it to him. Put the PC version in his Steam, let him pay if he wants it on a console. How many of that guy are there? Still has it, and still gives a poo poo? Whatever just give it to him. You didn't make the new version for him, you made it for some kid.

He probably wasn't gonna buy it, and even if he was, there aren't that many of him. A lot of people don't hold on to media. And you get to be the good guy.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

TheScott2K posted:

If some guy still has his 25 year old copy of the thing you made a new version of and he cares enough to want the new one, I dunno, maybe just fuckin give it to him. Put the PC version in his Steam, let him pay if he wants it on a console. How many of that guy are there? Still has it, and still gives a poo poo? Whatever just give it to him. You didn't make the new version for him, you made it for some kid.

He probably wasn't gonna buy it, and even if he was, there aren't that many of him. A lot of people don't hold on to media. And you get to be the good guy.

There's a difference between the developer choosing to do something like that, and having it be demanded as the norm. At least that's the point I was trying to make earlier.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
The new Myst is a totally remade game from scratch, it's not just a re-release of the old Myst in any sense. For remasters of an existing game I can see the argument for getting the updated version on your existing Steam version (like with Doom and Quake) but this would be more like expecting to get the Final Fantasy 7 Remake for free because you already own FF7.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
realMyst fuckin whipped. reminds me i gotta get on with finishing Riven.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Dramicus posted:

There's a difference between the developer choosing to do something like that, and having it be demanded as the norm. At least that's the point I was trying to make earlier.

"demanded" alright guy, I get it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Volte posted:

The new Myst is a totally remade game from scratch, it's not just a re-release of the old Myst in any sense.
Where does realMyst fall in this spectrum?

Volte posted:

For remasters of an existing game I can see the argument for getting the updated version on your existing Steam version (like with Doom and Quake) but this would be more like expecting to get the Final Fantasy 7 Remake for free because you already own FF7.
FF7 Remake is "quite obviously" a new game not only because of the night-day difference in graphics qualities, but also the introduction of new game play systems, to say nothing of the plot deviations.

Without trying to be too reductive here, Myst is a "simple enough" game that there's simply fewer differences to distinguish the remaster from the original. Or, sure, maybe if you compare Myst (1993) to the new Myst there's an obvious chasm but one that's less clear when you add in the multitude of existing remakes and enhanced editions.

That said, arguing over Myst is somewhat futile because Cyan's MO is to constantly remake (by whatever definition) the game in way that nobody else does aside maybe for Tetris. Actually there's a lot of parallels there....

For me there's an understood hard line for physical releases and free upgrades. I don't think anyone has seriously expected that owners of physical releases should get free upgrades to remakes in any capacity. Although generally there's a secondary market for physical releases to recuperate costs--like a much as I'm "miffed" about having purchased LRG's realMyst release on Switch two years ago I could straight-up sell it used for more than I paid for it.

But when it comes to digital releases I don't think it's clear cut. I would say though that if you can target a token sale to existing owners/fans that would engender goodwill though.