Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

crazy eyes mustafa posted:

can't decide between Deepwater Event Horizon or China Virus Syndrome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

replace the oil exports with irradiated bayou crocodiles, number will be estatic

crocodiles don't live in america

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
Maybe in YOUR america

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Spergin Morlock posted:

lol what in the absolute gently caress is that guys problem?

He saw a black man getting attention, a logo on the camera that said something other than Fox News or OANN, and finally, knew police would be too busy to respond to "old white guy threatening a reporter."

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

the nuclei are returning to the sea

nature is healing

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

SKULL.GIF posted:

They shut down Waterford with Katrina approaching. Not this time!

Looks like it was offline as of Friday but were online Thursday.

https://www.nrc.gov/reading-rm/doc-collections/event-status/reactor-status/ps.html

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

crocodiles don't live in america

it's bullshit too because gators are pussies. we need some saltwater crocs like they have in Australia in central Florida golf courses

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

hows the waffle houses doin?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
lol Lake Charles still hasn't gotten supplemental disaster aid New Orleans is hosed

https://twitter.com/BlakePater/status/1432402622510678027

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

WoodrowSkillson posted:

i mean there literally is but that shuts it down hard and its then a pain in the rear end to fire it back up again. thats the whole reason chernobyl blew up is that the way the soviets had designed the control rods there was a brief moment where reactivity would increase as the scram button was pushed. would not matter normally but with all the insane poo poo they had done beforehand it blew the whole thing

because they had graphite on the bottom of the control rods correct?

peepeepants
Oct 9, 2001

I hope that after I die, people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

They were shutting down/running on diesel anyway because the power they'd generate can't go anywhere.
https://twitter.com/davidhammerWWL/status/1432162184470089737?s=20

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

actionjackson posted:

that and the reactor containment was just a great big office building

elaboration
Feb 21, 2020
what is with people here having 90s TV Environmentalist Brain over nuclear power, so loving weird

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

BIG HEADLINE posted:

He saw a black man getting attention, a logo on the camera that said something other than Fox News or OANN, and finally, knew police would be too busy to respond to "old white guy threatening a reporter."

maybe if you read the glenn greenwald thread and the succ zone you would know that he was making a principled stand against the liberal media, which are no different from fox news, which is good to do interviews on

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

actionjackson posted:

Yeah it had a void effect in which lowering the rods to a certain level would actually crank-up the output power.

This occurred when the plant was already in a power run-away situation way over operating specification and the Soviet had a near miss incident
years before Chernobyl meltdown.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Judge Dredd Scott posted:

what is with people here having 90s TV Environmentalist Brain over nuclear power, so loving weird

that made it easier to accept the widespread adoption of coal, oil, and natural gas power

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Lastgirl posted:

https://twitter.com/justinbaragona/status/1432369554676752386

america's such a disgraceful country

demon cracker nation

The amount of crazy indoctrinated hate in that psycho is the future of Ameristan.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

MadJackal posted:

The amount of crazy indoctrinated hate in that psycho is the future of Ameristan.
weird, it looks like the present to me

another bad take

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
did they really build this freaking nuke plant 23 miles from downtown New Orleans and upstream of it on the Mississippi river??

with fukushima they started at 10, 20, 30km evacuation zones and eventually got up to nearly 50 miles radius recommended to evacuate. and it's still leaking stuff into the ocean to this day.

lmao

let's hope they keep those generators running and stocked with fuel!

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I looked up where the nuclear plant was and directed next door there is a huge chemical plant with 10x the footprint and I'm sure that's not going directly into the Mississippi

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

MadJackal posted:

hey is covid still over you dumb rear end in a top hat

elaboration
Feb 21, 2020
the problem is already dealt with, making up Fukushima/Chernobyl scenarios literally doesnt make sense at this point

way to get propagandized by the fossil fuel industry tho

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

MadJackal posted:

Answer for your crimes in the COVID thread, coward

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

tater_salad posted:

hows the waffle houses doin?
Waffle Houses are prefabbed and airlifted into place already stocked and staffed

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
so did the giant gridlock on I10 clear before the storm came through?

speng31b
May 8, 2010

the problem is already dealt with, making up Fukushima/Chernobyl scenarios literally doesnt make sense at this point

drat, we got propagandized by non blue check twitter account "DEFCONWarningSystem"

disaster brain > regular brain

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

why don't we just make the nuke plants out of the same material the 20 mile exclusion zones are made of

peepeepants
Oct 9, 2001

I hope that after I die, people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

brugroffil posted:

Looks like it was offline as of Friday but were online Thursday.

https://www.nrc.gov/reading-rm/doc-collections/event-status/reactor-status/ps.html

ah, thanks for the link

https://www.nrc.gov/reading-rm/doc-collections/event-status/event/2021/20210830en.html#en55435

quote:

EN Revision Imported Date: 8/30/2021

EN Revision Text: NOTIFICATION OF UNUSUAL EVENT DUE TO LOSS OF OFFSITE POWER

Waterford 3 shut down the reactor in preparation for Hurricane Ida landfall prior to this event.

At 1812 CDT, Waterford 3 declared a notification of unusual event under EAL S.U. 1.1 due to a loss of offsite power as a result of hurricane Ida. Plant power is being provided via emergency diesel generators. The NRC Activated at 2016 EDT with Region IV in the lead.

Notified DHS SWO, DOE Ops Center, FEMA Ops Center, HHS Ops Center, CISA Central, USDA Ops Center, EPA Emergency Ops Center, DHS Nuclear SSA (email), FEMA NWC (email), and FEMA NRCC SASC (email).

elaboration
Feb 21, 2020

speng31b posted:

drat, we got propagandized by non blue check twitter account "DEFCONWarningSystem"

no, all the anti-nuclear knee jerking the second theres even the slightest (and planned for) issue is where people reveal theyve been severely propagandized

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

MadJackal posted:

Get the gently caress out of cspam you piece of poo poo

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

I think they need a week of on-site fuel for the diesels, it's covered in the regs somewhere. Fukashima happened because the generators were installed pretty low and got flooded and couldn't run. Since it doesn't seem like Waterford got flooded at all, let alone enough to make that happen, it'll be fine.

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

it's a good thing that for every anti nuke knee jerk there's a guy who's super into nukes and will not shut the gently caress up about how great they are

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo

they dont know the insane scale on which fossil fuels are destroying the entire planet. like people whine about fukushima water but the oceans are actually straight up becoming devoid of life bc of fossil fuels.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Epic High Five posted:

all that oil and natural gas infrastructure getting hosed up dumped way more radiation into the environment than that plant could

Colonial was sending people out today to begin assessment and repairs. They think it isn't too bad and the oil will flow by end of the week.

Cygna
Mar 6, 2009

The ghost of a god is no man.
Entergy is saying the assessment of the damages ALONE could take four days (so, definitely more). No estimate at all for when the power might actually be restored

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

MadJackal posted:

you are a jerk !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cry:

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Up till a few hours ago we were collectively wondering if a bunch of glorified hills the Army put up were going to fail, which also doesn't really make sense in a sane world.

elaboration
Feb 21, 2020

Dustcat posted:

it's a good thing that for every anti nuke knee jerk there's a guy who's super into nukes and will not shut the gently caress up about how great they are

a zero carbon future absolutely requires a robust nuclear infrastructure, dude. can't just bury your head in the sand over it because you're scared of ATOMS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

brugroffil posted:

I think they need a week of on-site fuel for the diesels, it's covered in the regs somewhere. Fukashima happened because the generators were installed pretty low and got flooded and couldn't run. Since it doesn't seem like Waterford got flooded at all, let alone enough to make that happen, it'll be fine.

yeah there's a lot of cascading failures that have to go wrong for it to turn into fukushima. we're on step 1 of like a 5 step failure to get there. probably will be a nothingburger (we hope)