Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
what the gently caress is indigo children like purple children wtf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

PostNouveau posted:

Gifted kids are the "smart" kids.

There has been an insidious move in recent years to have this classified as a "special need" so that schools spend special ed money on doing advanced schooling for smart kids. This funnels money from students who are disadvantaged toward kids who are very advantaged. Schools go along with it because they get more funding the more special ed kids they have. As a bonus, these parents get to start all their sentences with "As the parent of a special needs child", which ups their idpol score and gives them access to secret limit breaks regular parents can't use.

my friend has his kids on IEP plans, one of the things his kid gets is to sleep in and show up late with no punishment as an accomodation for his needs

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 375 days!

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

1100 miles isn't that far

To travel? No it's not. But to uproot your life just so your special child can go to special school? Yeah that's far for most americans

Barry Soteriology
Mar 1, 2020
indigo children are a couple of kids singing closer to fine

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Vishass posted:

blowing smoke up his rear end)

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

indigo Montoya children

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_612cf529e4b06e5d80d00db6

lol

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

how many schools are opening without needing to quarantine 100s of kids within days

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Joementum posted:

the school had a strict masking policy in place and lasted a whole day

https://twitter.com/sevendaysvt/status/1432404413969272832

I can't imagine what a bigger disaster places would be than had the mask mandate bans.

The whole return to school ASAP was essentially trying to deny reality.

What did they think would happen in the first few weeks against a airborne disease with RO = 6 -9 range?

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 375 days!

Hollismason posted:

what the gently caress is indigo children like purple children wtf
If your child is indigo,
to the Montessori school they go
If your child is purple,
To the ER they must go(urple)

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

Joementum posted:

the school had a strict masking policy in place and lasted a whole day

https://twitter.com/sevendaysvt/status/1432404413969272832

That says 7 days.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

it really is some 1500s-rear end science that is just like "Oh you're sick let me try this horse poultice"
we have better ways, Rand

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

etalian posted:

I can't imagine what a bigger disaster places would be than had the mask mandate bans.

What did they think would happen in the first few weeks against a airborne disease with RO = 6 -9 range?

OPEN

BIDEN

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

WampaLord posted:

OPEN

BIDEN

JOE-VID IS JOE-VER

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

how have i not heard joevid

lol

Caseman
Mar 21, 2006

owns

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

AceOfFlames posted:

I was deemed gifted (even skipped a grade) and it utterly ruined my life. If you ever wondered why I am like this, it’s a combination of ostracism through most of my grade school education simply due to being one year younger than everyone else, constantly being pumped full of nonsense about being smarter than everyone else by my parents (which still happens and I still cannot get rid of) and never developing a proper work ethic. If your kids are gifted then for the love of god A) Make sure they are actually challenged, learn how to deal with adversity and praise effort, not results and B) Make sure they learn how to make friends, since it’s more important than any crap they learn at school.

Well, I won't disagree with A & B

And I'll say that I experienced the same academic and social path that you did, being a year ahead, bullied, bouncing between schools, etc

But I would suggest that you reconsider making "it utterly ruined my life. If you ever wondered why I am like this" as an actual factual definitive statement.

Are we shaped by our upbringing and environment? Absolutely. Once we move beyond those early boundaries and experience alternate worldviews and communities, can we slowly reshape ourselves? It's hard but of course.

I know you're AceOfFlames and you've shared your frustrations many times. This isn't meant to derail the thread any further.

I just wanted to say:

"Hey, me too, it sucks looking back on it all eh? A lot of promise that fizzled out. Maybe with different mentors or social groups I'd have been happier or more ambitious.

Welp, it sure is a great that I learned a lot more while still a youngish adult, and have 1/2 - 3/4 of my life still to go. I'm in a perfect spot to start an (emotional & mental well-being) rags to riches story!"

Just adopt that mentality in some way, with respect to some desire you have. Set an achievable goal, and then steadily progress. When one is done, try it a second time. It'll become more natural with time, and you'll "feel" the difference.

Good luck AoF.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

etalian posted:

the order came down that schools were going to reopen on schedule and nobody was allowed to plan or think otherwise

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I thought it was just "open up" but you replaced up with Biden. It sounded like the kind of deranged thing a goon would write, if you've ever been to the Trump thread you'd understand

open trmbupb

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
gifted and dyslexic is a contradiction

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
joe biden is the worst president in history

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

ok well the country-wide experiment to determine whether The Secret is a real thing has concluded

what next folks??

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

tenderjerk posted:

I follow alot of dumb covid guys on facebook and one of them in rural alabama has in 2 days posted that 3 restaurants in his town have closed indefinitely due to covid staffing problems and he's mad

still doesn't think covid is a big deal, roll tide

Wayne "Oobie" Robinson, was unable to keep the Dog House open past 4pm, you'd think he'd appreciate that they'd plum give out.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

yeah, that's right, I'm Gifted

Goddamn
Idiot
Fucks everything up
Terrible study habits
Expect to fail in life
Drumpf

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Ruggan posted:

open trmbupb

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
in my "gifted" program in elementary school we played logical journey of the zoombinis after school like twice a week. I don't think we did anything else.

Rubby
Aug 31, 2002

<3 Louby

Stereotype posted:

joe biden is the worst president in history

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

anyone tried making a whiskey sour with ivermectin

Laird’s Iverjack

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Judakel posted:

gifted and dyslexic is a contradiction

well they didn't say it was a good gift

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Good morning Covid thread. Private for-profit media companies are a cancer on society and can probably be directly linked to nearly any social issue you can think of.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
open Biden
does anyone happen to have the pelosi photoshop of her with a big plate in her lips? thanks it’ll
wow me smile again

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Clocks posted:

ok i apologize in advance if i'm just ignorant but is "gifted" like a euphemism for something like autism or is the kid just literally dyslexic and if they hadn't upped and moved to some $100k/yr private school his kid would've remained without "treatment" and "support" and traumatized?

don't get me wrong, I'm not saying dyslexia isn't bad or anything, I am sure many kids suffered from people not taking it seriously enough and giving extra test time or whatever but I just feel like there are way "worse" things his kid could have turned out to be??

You receive gifted status when your parents take you to a psychologist and they seem like rubes who’ll pay for private school.

This happened to me once, luckily my parents did not listen.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Ice Phisherman posted:

Personally I think that the war for vaccine hesitancy will rise more than a few percentage points because the people who won't take the vaccine, mask up or attempt to isolate themselves if possible are going to die in droves, be horrified by the mass death or just that eventually real enforcement happens because capital finally decides that covid can't be lived with. Each time a new variant of covid runs through the US or really anywhere where there's a vaccine and people who won't take it this will deplete the population of people unwilling to vaccinate.

The number of dead rise dramatically when there are not enough hospital beds, staff or poo poo like oxygen to keep people alive. I can't repeat this enough. We're loving in for it. Delta is not going to be like alpha. We're going to have way more deaths and very possibly in a way that can't just be brunched through, no matter how hard they try.

Yeah. This. Vaccines will never contain covid. Not ever. There are too many variants that will adapt or have adapted to the vaccinations themselves. We're seeing something like the Red Queen's Race hypothesis in real time. Where species adapt, evolve and proliferate in order to survive against other adapting and co-evolving species.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Queen_hypothesis

Covid came from bats and the immune system of bats are way, way better than ours. It's like if some hotshot baseball player stepped down from the majors (bats) and started brutalizing the minor league teams (humans). We can adapt but covid is just a better player at the game.

We will never, ever win against covid so long as we pit our immune system against it. It is simply better than us. Even with vaccines it is better than us because it mutates so quickly and once it mutates the mutant variant prospers and we're hosed once again. The only way we can defeat it is to not allow it access to our immune systems in the first place. We have to choose not to play. We as a species need to get our poo poo together enough not to allow it access to the respiratory systems of large numbers of people.

That's the only way we'll ever get rid of covid. Covid isn't a problem you can just defeat with science like some magic bullet. Covid is a social problem. Until we address the social problems we will never be rid of covid. Never. Not ever. And we can't live with covid either. It will wear us down and we will become less and less resilient until we start having social collapses. Each collapse that we don't learn from will invite an even worse collapse the next time.

I personally think that the only way we get through covid is that it kills enough people who are anti-vaccine or anti-mask or anti-shutting poo poo down that their ability to influence how society is run is severely reduced. That's not just the chuds. It's the capitalists who want to stay open at any cost. It's the libs who want to go back to brunch. Enough of them have to die or be ruined or horrified by covid into compliance or just worn down that it is finally a smarter decision to lock down and permanently defeat covid than it is to keep the economy open.

And sadly this will take time and a lot of bodies and a lot of grieving until we learn that covid can't be endemic. We can't live with it. The consequences are just too destructive and chaotic.

100%

you said it better than I care to phoneposting

ultimately though covid helps select against anti-containment proponents, and it’ll probably continue until their numbers are reduced to some arbitrary threshold or until we find an effective reactive treatment (because people only give a poo poo when it impacts them)

or if we get lucky vis a vis immune escape, but lol,m

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Casey Finnigan posted:

in my "gifted" program in elementary school we played logical journey of the zoombinis after school like twice a week. I don't think we did anything else.

to be fair that game got super hard

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Casey Finnigan posted:

yeah in mine we just played king's quest on the computer

also i learned about medieval times

overall, had a good time

Iverron
May 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/kgemeroy/status/1425265600939495428?s=21

https://twitter.com/kgemeroy/status/1425444170957660162?s=21

captainbananas
Sep 11, 2002

Ahoy, Captain!

ram dass in hell posted:

a lot of you owe us an apology for underposting

i will never apologize

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

it really is some 1500s-rear end science that is just like "Oh you're sick let me try this horse poultice"
we have better ways, Rand

yr talkin to a "eye doctor" who isn't licensed because he thought the licensing system for eye doctors was corrupt big government evil regulation so he made his own licensing system, presumably with blackjack and hookers, and awarded himself a piece of paper ron swansonishly that says 'im allowed to touch eyeballs'

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I ain't got time to read to my kids like you fancy folk, I need to sneak over and break into my neighbor's barn for that sweet sweet horse paste I know he's sitting on. Motherfucker is hoarding it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
Indigo Children comes from a similar place as "my child is an old soul" or "the spirit of a certain special whoever is definitely imbued in my starchild" nonsense.

Compared to some of the more destructive parenting quirks, it's a lot funnier to read or hear about. Pretty much tailor-made The F Plus content (a good podcast for distracting oneself during these times).