Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

crepeface posted:

did everyone's hell of president feeds for as well?

Mine did, but it's up on YouTube/reddit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

cumshitter should approach left and left-adjacent online personalities to provide financial advice

there's a pretty big spread in how much people seem to be making - hasan's in the high millions while stavros mentioned not even hitting a million

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

shrike82 posted:

cumshitter should approach left and left-adjacent online personalities to provide financial advice

there's a pretty big spread in how much people seem to be making - hasan's in the high millions while stavros mentioned not even hitting a million

Nobody cares. We are in the "Get that bag" phase.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
my pitch to hesitant or risk-averse clients is that corporations will survive the collapse of the government becuase they are better run and have a much clearer purpose. so its better to hold shares than money. think of snow crash. when we're issuing $1,000,000 Edwin Meese notes, do you want to hold failed federal reserve notes or be a fractional owner of Target Presents: Mr. Lee's Greater Hong Kong corporate enclave and the benefits that come from being a shareholder?

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Bill Brasky posted:

No update yet on Pocketcasts.

i mean i cant download episodes that were already released

tokin opposition posted:

Mine did, but it's up on YouTube/reddit.

i want them in my app >:

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

cumshitter posted:

you have PMs off so ill just share this here

unless a 401k is actually being used by employees then what the IRS designates as HCEs, or highly compensated employees, can not make full use of their yearly $19,500 deferral limit and some, maybe even all of it if the plan is not being used by employees at all, is returend to them as taxable income for that year. the IRS wants proof that employee retirement programs actually benefit employees in some way

theres really boring math to determine what percentage of employees have to use it and how much they have to make use of it for the HCEs to get the full benefits. but the simplest way to be compliant is to do whats called the Safe Harbor option. if your employer matches 100% up to 3% of your yearly income and then 0.5% to 5% then thats one way of satisfying it. IIRC another way to do it is to contribute 3% of every employee's yearly salary to their 401k regardless of what they contribute on their own. those are both minimums, some employers might go above that and it accomplishes the same goal of allowing HCEs to maximize their benefits

if your employer does auto-enrollment its possible they dont want to do employer match and are just doing so to be compliant with the non-safe harbor option. when i was a low level employee at one of the LA studios working the gift shops/concessions they auto enrolled me into the 401k and deferred something like $0.50 per paycheck because they needed people like me to use the 401k to benefit the higher ups. i opted out because that meant nothing to me when i was making $8.25 an hour and years later i remembered it and got a $10 check from fidelity

in general most employee retirement programs benefit owners/management first and employees second, but the owners/management cant make full use of it without giving something to the employees (or tricking them into contributing)

thanks cumshitter

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

stavros is a comic on a niche podcast twice a week while hasan is a streaming himbo who works 12 hours a day.

i can see hasan burning our quicker than the cumboys though. for all they talk about ending the podcast it's an easier gig. i can't see stav getting into online fights over buying a house either.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

cumshitter posted:

in general most employee retirement programs benefit owners/management first and employees second, but the owners/management cant make full use of it without giving something to the employees (or tricking them into contributing)

jesus christ this sounds like the bizarro version of defined benefit plans we have in canada

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Dreylad posted:

jesus christ this sounds like the bizarro version of defined benefit plans we have in canada

its been a while since i studied employee retirement programs but DBPs are primarily funded by the employer. they function similarly to annuities in that they provide lifetime income post-retirement

i wont get too boring about it but the reason there are less pensions/DBPs/etc. in america is that employers figured out that its way cheaper to run a 401k. 401ks are funded by the employee's chosen deferrals, which means the employee uses their own compensation to pay for their own retirement

dont know how it works in canada but thats the bullshit we deal with now in america. the number of existing pension plans continues to shrink every year because its obviously a more economical choice to run a 401k for your business

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Contributing to a 401k is being a money landlord and therefore anticommunist

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/coaIburner/status/1432290307891101699

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!
the red scare subreddit actually has funny posts a lot.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
is 401k the same as social security retirement or it's like an adhoc thing?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
social security is a federal program, a 401K is something privately offered by medium-to-large companies for office drones

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Bust Rodd posted:

social security is a federal program, a 401K is something privately offered by medium-to-large companies for office drones

small companies offer them too through third parties

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

cumshitter posted:

its been a while since i studied employee retirement programs but DBPs are primarily funded by the employer. they function similarly to annuities in that they provide lifetime income post-retirement

i wont get too boring about it but the reason there are less pensions/DBPs/etc. in america is that employers figured out that its way cheaper to run a 401k. 401ks are funded by the employee's chosen deferrals, which means the employee uses their own compensation to pay for their own retirement

dont know how it works in canada but thats the bullshit we deal with now in america. the number of existing pension plans continues to shrink every year because its obviously a more economical choice to run a 401k for your business

You're correct, DB plans have contributions from both employee and employer, although with private employers they have been ripe for abuse up until 2000 when larger provincial governments starting laying down heavy regulations to keep them from doing stupid poo poo. Which is what happened in the oughts in America where employers would take contribution holidays (or unions would demand low contributions) because the market was doing so well it wasn't "necessary."

401ks are like all the Defined Contribution plans up here, and they suck as you say.

The good DB plans in Canada (in the industry it's the "Canadian-model" which is up its own rear end but whatever) are jointly sponsored. There's a board filled with representatives from the employer and the employees, they have to act in the best interest of the plan, they have to remain in a surplus position pretty much every year, and they're run by a separate company generally speaking. The big ones are mainly in Ontario - Ontario Teachers, Ontario Muncipal Workers, Ontario Healthcare workers. As you can tell part of their success is that they're all broader public sector employees and so benefit from better union representation than purely private company employees.

it is boring as gently caress but i was paid to do some research on the industry up here so its all lodged in my brain now

Dreylad has issued a correction as of 17:32 on Aug 30, 2021

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

Paging Xaris. The new Hell of Presidents rss feed I got on here isn't updating so maybe you can save the day for me. tia

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Yossarian-22 posted:

Paging Xaris. The new Hell of Presidents rss feed I got on here isn't updating so maybe you can save the day for me. tia
Yeah I saw the unofficialrss that someone was hosting directly out of their Stitcher account that was posted before seems to have died. if you go to the link it just says "Error: Error: Error: No token supplied"

I just did actually. try this one again: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/xarisis/sapodacasts/main/hopre.xml

ep 9 and 10 worked for me

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo
listening to Talking Simpsons w/ virgil and matt, virgil is one of those absolute creeps that pronounces "meta" as "MAY-tuh".

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

disappointed in matt as a fellow wisconsinite for not correcting chris' pronunciation of bob lafollette (unless everyone around me has always been mispronouncing it my whole life)

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

disappointed in matt as a fellow wisconsinite for not correcting chris' pronunciation of bob lafollette (unless everyone around me has always mispronounced it my whole life)

well, I know the name of my next XIV character

Bob Lalafollette

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

Xaris posted:

Yeah I saw the unofficialrss that someone was hosting directly out of their Stitcher account that was posted before seems to have died. if you go to the link it just says "Error: Error: Error: No token supplied"

I just did actually. try this one again: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/xarisis/sapodacasts/main/hopre.xml

I don't even listen to hell of presidents but you are doing an immense amount of work here while people are clamoring and banging their cutlery on the table for content. absolute champion.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

yes thank you xaris for the hell of prez feed, you win this month's most valuable poster award

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

mark immune posted:

listening to Talking Simpsons w/ virgil and matt, virgil is one of those absolute creeps that pronounces "meta" as "MAY-tuh".

Imprison anyone who says ˈdātə or ˈdätə

GIRL BRAINS
Sep 5, 2011

The gods are small birds
My retirement plan is to get to 65 and kill myself

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
hell yeah new trueanon ep is on the tether scam

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Shipon posted:

Lmao gently caress yeah!

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Xaris posted:

starting working again, thanks!

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.

Shipon posted:

might listen to it. how far along is the lawsuit? think it was recently some us financial agency confirmed the obvious (tethers dont exist)

Trash Ops
Jun 19, 2012

im having fun, isnt everyone else?

a Loving Dog posted:

the red scare subreddit actually has funny posts a lot.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

mawarannahr posted:

Imprison anyone who says ˈdātə or ˈdätə

what about the brits that say "datter"?

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

yeah

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

lol

i think its half cumtown listeners now.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

crepeface posted:

lol

just went and had a look and lol

Paffgen
Jul 13, 2009
I had to scroll through what felt like 50 posts to get to a funny one.
https://www.reddit.com/r/redscarepod/comments/pel1wb/the_definitive_rs_male/

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.

crepeface posted:

lol

ya and they hate it. used to be chicks and gay guys then they banned cumtown. now its just... well, you know... at least theres less women...

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
i've found a new way to be racist in the comments on that one

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

i dont read it religiously but they have had some very funny intentional and very funny unintentional comedy out of there. also anna used to go there to defend her dogshit takes and get made fun of

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
i've found a much better red scare subreddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/redscareforcishetmen/