Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

she has a talkative extrovert as her dad and a strong rear end independent mom and has been babbling and making fifty different sounds/syllables for over a month now so im fuckin doomed on the "try to reason with her" front when she starts actually talking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

jesus our kid didn't start sleeping through the night until he was more than a year old lol, so jealous! well, hopefully the next one is better at sleeping.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Dreylad posted:

does this make sense? any tips on picking some up second-hand?

We'd just load up at the thrift store, especially when they get full up and do a 25c per item deal. Books too. Kids grow out of stuff so fast that they're almost always in near pristine condition.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

Congrats.

Also gently caress you, you lucky prick.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

We'd just load up at the thrift store, especially when they get full up and do a 25c per item deal. Books too. Kids grow out of stuff so fast that they're almost always in near pristine condition.

Haven't seen anything at the thrift stores but I'll definitely try to check them out delta permitting, thanks!

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Dreylad posted:

i think my wife and i have settled on doing cloth diapers that you stuff with disposable inserts, going to put an alert on kijiji to see if we can get them second hand. also not going to bother with newborn sizes for cloth because of how little time they spend in them before moving up in size.

Usually they are adjustable , meaning they can be loosened up to bigger sizes.
They're pretty great for pee, a absolute nightmare to cleanup for poo.
We used cloth diapers with also cloth inserts, so
We ended up with around 30 because in winter you couldn't' be sure they would dry up after washing in just one day and we always wanted backups for travel etc...I would wager around 15-20 is more than enough, but the more you have, the more you can organize.
Always two cloth inserts at night, because babies have a absolutely incredible amount of pee in them.
We would usually hand wash them, both diapers and inserts, but you can get away with washing them in your washing machine if you make a cycle of them alone, otherwise everything else in there comes out with a slight aroma of pee and/or poo.
Always pre wash them though, just soak those fuckers in water and sodium bicarbonate.

Eventually the smell of pee will be permanent, but hopefully that's around the 2 and half , three year old mark which means you just use them at night.
Someday in the future you will throw them in a bonfire as a sacrifice to trumo, the piss god, while cursing all the hours you spent hand washing them.

Edit: ours where pretty much these, but don't be a square and find some with cute patterns.

Antifa Poltergeist has issued a correction as of 11:44 on Aug 30, 2021

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
How does anyone with private insurance not become a radical Medicare for all supporter after having a baby?

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Dreylad posted:

i think my wife and i have settled on doing cloth diapers that you stuff with disposable inserts, going to put an alert on kijiji to see if we can get them second hand. also not going to bother with newborn sizes for cloth because of how little time they spend in them before moving up in size.

disposable inserts, you're going to be washing the diaper itself just as often. need 5ish a day, so be prepared for having a bunch. get a wet bag for home and a travel one wait, covid. probably don't need that as much

second hand buying, make sure the Velcro tabs and waterproofing are still good.

you can also do a diaper service where you rent it all. that may let you try a couple of different types to figure out what you like best. might be cost neutral depending on your water costs, too

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

What docs are these? My kid can run lines from Dino Dana. Gotta switch it up.

Dinolaboratoriet. Pretty good stuff, 3 minute episodes, it's pretty recent and factual and with a bit of humour. Made by Danish national broadcasting, so also very much in Danish.

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007
i've been missing playing rpgs and i found one for kids called 'amazing tales' and i tried starting a 'campaign' with my 5 year old today. it was loving AWESOME. she spent about two hours creating her character. we are just doing the intro story the book recommends (you are either a faery or a talking animal, owl parents come to you to ask for help because a witch kidnapped their baby owl, the twist is that the witch did so because she was lonely, my twist is its not a witch but a baba yaga [a witch who lives in a hut with hen's legs, russian folk tale]). all you need is a 6 sided dice to play. the character has 4 skills that they use to roll to succeed or fail at their skill and advance the story. the basic rules for the game are free and the full book (which is 100 pages long with lots of tips for being the DM for a 5 year old) is like 5 bucks. super awesome, i heartily recommend it. i think it would probably be great from about 4 to 8 or 9 or 10... the upper age limit would just be whenever more advanced rules would become appropriate which will depend a lot on not only age but personality.

e: to make this more cspam, i gotta think of another campaign now that has to do with some marxist or anarchist mice colony or something

IAMKOREA has issued a correction as of 17:58 on Aug 31, 2021

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
the earlier you can expose your children to the Baba Yaga, the better off you will be. it's formative, that chicken legged hut is.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

IAMKOREA posted:

i've been missing playing rpgs and i found one for kids called 'adventure tales' and i tried starting a 'campaign' with my 5 year old today. it was loving AWESOME. she spent about two hours creating her character. we are just doing the intro story the book recommends (you are either a faery or a talking animal, owl parents come to you to ask for help because a witch kidnapped their baby owl, the twist is that the witch did so because she was lonely, my twist is its not a witch but a baba yaga [a witch who lives in a hut with hen's legs, russian folk tale]). all you need is a 6 sided dice to play. the character has 4 skills that they use to roll to succeed or fail at their skill and advance the story. the basic rules for the game are free and the full book (which is 100 pages long with lots of tips for being the DM for a 5 year old) is like 5 bucks. super awesome, i heartily recommend it. i think it would probably be great from about 4 to 8 or 9 or 10... the upper age limit would just be whenever more advanced rules would become appropriate which will depend a lot on not only age but personality.

e: to make this more cspam, i gotta think of another campaign now that has to do with some marxist or anarchist mice colony or something

hero kids is another good rpg for that age. but yours sounds cooler

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I've been playing D&D with my kids this year and it's way more fun than DMing for adults. The experience is much more laid back, I'm looking out for them instead of being an adversary and nobody ever does any rules lawyering.

This is a very un-CSPAM comment, but I'm about to pull my kids out of public school (1000+ kids) and send them to a tiny (35 kids) private school to protect them from delta until they're vaxxed. It's going to cost 95% of my take home every week and I don't care, I'm loving spooked.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
is it adventure tales or "amazing tales"? I'm not getting a lot of hits for the former.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Another Bill posted:

I've been playing D&D with my kids this year and it's way more fun than DMing for adults. The experience is much more laid back, I'm looking out for them instead of being an adversary and nobody ever does any rules lawyering.

This is a very un-CSPAM comment, but I'm about to pull my kids out of public school (1000+ kids) and send them to a tiny (35 kids) private school to protect them from delta until they're vaxxed. It's going to cost 95% of my take home every week and I don't care, I'm loving spooked.

I did something like that but I just straight up quit my job. do what you gotta.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

I did something like that but I just straight up quit my job. do what you gotta.

That was the other option but they've been out of the classroom since March 2020 now, I can't hide them for another year it's not healthy.

e: The school I'm looking at has small class sizes, proper ventilation and 2m distanced desks. All things that should be in the public system by now but are not.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

don't judge me!

no it's fine. if I had a wfh job I'd do what you're doing but mine is a hands-on kind of job so I just refuse to go in.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

don't judge me!

no it's fine. if I had a wfh job I'd do what you're doing but mine is a hands-on kind of job so I just refuse to go in.

Oh my friend, I am not judging. I worked from home all last year with virtual grade 1 and virtual grade 4 in the same room. I couldn't do that again.

It just fuckin sucks right now if kids are under 12.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

I mean we can’t fault you we’re all having to face this as individuals outside of this sub forum. we can’t change the school systems as individuals unless we have 3 commas in our net worth but those people are into loving over schools, e.g. the DeVos family in Michigan

all the private schools here are Calvinist and or Christian schools so gently caress that noise. West Michigan schools have been ok so far and my kid is a mask champ but I’m ready to quit at anytime if anything goes south.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Really helpful, thanks to you both!

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Good soup! posted:

bookmark my post for the inevitable regression or two years from now when she becomes insufferable lmbo

My almost two year old was an amazing sleeper but now refuses to fall asleep until like 10pm and regularly wakes up around 4 and just refuses to go back down. The past few days I have just sat on the couch with her and watched SpongeBob until it's time for me to get up. I am slowly dying from this.

B-Rock452 has issued a correction as of 23:21 on Aug 30, 2021

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i am not really in love with the name my wife wants for our daughter but we are gonna go with it, im sure i will like it after she's born though

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

naming people is so fuckin weird.

like I wasn't wild about my second kid's name but it was something my wife really liked and it was fine.

now it's like "what else would he be called? that's his name. he's that."

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Dreylad posted:

Really helpful, thanks to you both!

To add to this having a spray head near your toilet like this:

or this:

will make your poo-nappy-filled life a million times easier. The first one is just a tap attachment fitted to the pipes to the head; the second was specially installed during renovations. Even better is a toilet next to the laundry with one of these.

Cloth nappies shouldn't have an odour after washing. We do a short prewash with nappies only, then a proper wash, often with clothes. Haven't had any issues with odours and my wife is very sensitive to smells.

Also, the simpler the better. Before buying anything, consider how easy it would be to wash poop out of it. We've had a range of fancy cloth nappies, but the cheap basic flannel nappies and covers from AliExpress have been the best. Three kids in and still going.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

I wasn’t totally on board with my kid’s name either, but now just I can’t imagine what else I’d call little Weedlord.

We did full on cloth diapers with the plastic/rubber cover that snaps over them. They really weren’t bad at all unless you’re a delicate flower who can’t handle the sight of poo poo, in which case lol at having a kid. Just screwed a hand sprayer in line on the commode in the bathroom so we could blast most of the poo poo off the diaper before tossing it into the diaper pail. Then every few days run it all through the laundry. Super simple and we sold the diapers and covers for almost what we paid for them.

It took my kid almost a decade to stop showing up in the middle of the night, so that was fun. Sleepwalking is super weird.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

lobster shirt posted:

i am not really in love with the name my wife wants for our daughter but we are gonna go with it, im sure i will like it after she's born though

Don't stress. We wanted our second daughter to have VV for her initials for probably insane reasons, so she's named after a space probe and the first woman in space.

Of course, my wife made an offhand comment about her in her first week of life and we mostly call her by that nickname. I could probably count the number of times I've used either her actual name or VV on one hand.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

naming people is so fuckin weird.

like I wasn't wild about my second kid's name but it was something my wife really liked and it was fine.

now it's like "what else would he be called? that's his name. he's that."

yeah its like a normal name that many people have so im sure it will be fine, its not like mckarty or emberleigh or something lol. once shes born im sure itll be like oh yeah thats her name, thats what shes called.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Loucks posted:

I wasn’t totally on board with my kid’s name either, but now just I can’t imagine what else I’d call little Weedlord.

We did full on cloth diapers with the plastic/rubber cover that snaps over them. They really weren’t bad at all unless you’re a delicate flower who can’t handle the sight of poo poo, in which case lol at having a kid. Just screwed a hand sprayer in line on the commode in the bathroom so we could blast most of the poo poo off the diaper before tossing it into the diaper pail. Then every few days run it all through the laundry. Super simple and we sold the diapers and covers for almost what we paid for them.

It took my kid almost a decade to stop showing up in the middle of the night, so that was fun. Sleepwalking is super weird.

We're renting so I'd have to talk to the landlord about buying a bidet or something, but that's a good idea thanks.

also it's loving depressing as hell to see all these reviews of various cloth diaper brands with women helpfully adding "so easy my husband/daddy/my so will actually change a diaper!" i can't imagine telling my wife "i think i'll pass on the rote chores in the care of our new kid. welp cya"

My wife came up with our daughter's name early on, and while it didn't really catch on with me I couldn't come up with anything better and it's stuck. I just felt her move today for the first time :unsmith:

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

I don’t know what your situation is, but the sprayer I got just required unscrewing the line from the wall to the commode, screwing the sprayer to the line from the wall and the sprayer to the line from the commode. Completely reversible, and your landlord will never know. It even came with a little hook that went over the lip of the tank under the lid to hang the sprayer head from.

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

is it adventure tales or "amazing tales"? I'm not getting a lot of hits for the former.

oh sorry it's "amazing tales"

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Today I'm leaning heavily towards sending my kids back to public school.

Love to ride the COVID mental health rollercoaster!

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I picked up the ipad for another year of video school. the device pickup process does not inspire confidence in the Seattle school system.

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

No he won't be having water because water tastes like slime

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

one of my kids now complains that any time his brother (or even me) touches his toys they "get all greasy and slippery".

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

if I had kids when people normally did I guess it would be easier since they would have been a lot older before COVID but for people with more than 1 that are younger than 8 I just can’t imagine right now.

like it’s becoming hard mode with a kindergartener with open Biden plus a very fractured school system and no family around. unfortunately we both have to work. if I was in a trade and worked with my hands it would be easier but for a spreadsheet job it’s much harder to regain anything, sucks all around

if we knew our school district was this bad we would have remained in NC instead moving to Michigan(however when im teaching my kid to bandage my missing eye due to the water wars in 30 years maybe I made the right decision )

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

sonatinas posted:

if I had kids when people normally did I guess it would be easier since they would have been a lot older before COVID but for people with more than 1 that are younger than 8 I just can’t imagine right now.

my wife said that the guy who normally organizes their HS reunion (lol) can't do it for the 20 year because he's expecting a baby and apparently someone else was like "I'll do it. my kid is 20."

e: oh also I have a 7 and a 4 year old and they're basically my best and only friends now.

DR FRASIER KRANG has issued a correction as of 19:56 on Aug 31, 2021

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

On the one hand, I live in Toronto where 76%+ of people are fully vaxed, the school has hepa filters in every room (but no HVAC) and all kids will be wearing masks except at lunch.

In the other hand delta is a contagious motherfucker, the 'science table' refuses to release fall projections and our government leadership is completely AWOL.

gently caress

e: also my neighborhood is has consistently had on of the lowest case counts throughout the whole pandemic.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

lobster shirt posted:

lol on the subject of names, it took ages to figure out the middle names
middle names are dumb
we finally just went with something that married the first and last name together, made it sound good phonetically

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

my wife said that the guy who normally organizes their HS reunion (lol) can't do it for the 20 year because he's expecting a baby and apparently someone else was like "I'll do it. my kid is 20."

e: oh also I have a 7 and a 4 year old and they're basically my best and only friends now.

I would have been a terrible father in my 20s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

sonatinas posted:

I would have been a terrible father in my 20s

heck I suck at it even now but I would have been a way poorer poo poo dad in my 20s.