Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Wild shape replenishes with a short rest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
As for your other questions: Dire Wolf is a good pick. The bear line is also solid when it comes to straight combat. Giant Octopus is one I've always kinda wanted to try, but my DM ruled that you could only turn into creatures that you knew actually existed in the world, and my character, a lizardfolk druid in the Underdark, had no particular reason to know that they existed. Your character might, so let us know if you take one for a spin. :v: The main things to note are that it can hold its breath for an hour, it has reach 15', and its melee auto-grapples if it hits. The downsides are bad AC and abysmal movement speed (10'/round). Oh, and because it has a swim speed, you have to hit level 4 to use it.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Mr. Lobe posted:

Wild shape replenishes with a short rest

Oh nice, even better!

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

As for your other questions: Dire Wolf is a good pick. The bear line is also solid when it comes to straight combat. Giant Octopus is one I've always kinda wanted to try, but my DM ruled that you could only turn into creatures that you knew actually existed in the world, and my character, a lizardfolk druid in the Underdark, had no particular reason to know that they existed. Your character might, so let us know if you take one for a spin. :v: The main things to note are that it can hold its breath for an hour, it has reach 15', and its melee auto-grapples if it hits. The downsides are bad AC and abysmal movement speed (10'/round). Oh, and because it has a swim speed, you have to hit level 4 to use it.

Hah, yeah that Giant Octopus sounds fun! I bet it'd be quite a scary opponent for regular people, too. Like if I grab a fisherman's line and pull him in, he'd probably die of fright before I could strangle him. It would also be pretty funny, "walking" around town visiting the shops as an octopus for an hour :v:

Kaal posted:

I'd look at how Sunlight Sensitivity and other drawbacks are treated while in wildshape, which is namely that it applies so long as the physical capability for sight remains. I'd broadly judge that Limited Amphibiousness applies to any creature with gills (meaning once you get swimming forms you could be a Hunter Shark or a Giant Octopus if you'd like, though you'd want to figure out movement), but that the four hour timer could be interrupted if you wildshape into a creature without gills (like a Dire Wolf). To my mind those sorts of ribbon abilities exist to make people creative, so really whatever you came up with would be fine as long as it's engaging with the mechanic. The only problem is if you used it as a way to avoid ever needing to go into water.

Whoops, I missed this reply! Must've sent it while I was writing my reply to the previous posts :shobon: Yeah fair enough - I definitely don't plan on avoiding water forever. Especially since whenever I find a body of water, I just have to scour it to see how the little water-critters are going! :D Then if they're being fished or rubbish is being dumped in there, it's time to start sabotaging the locals' boats and equipment...

Oh also, it's not able to re-select spells/cantrips is it? Since I picked mending as my second cantrip - but from memory there's a 'talk to animals' one, isn't there? Might come in handy more, for me. Although I suppose I can already speak to any intelligent sea creature that I'd like to.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Major Isoor posted:

Oh also, it's not able to re-select spells/cantrips is it? Since I picked mending as my second cantrip - but from memory there's a 'talk to animals' one, isn't there? Might come in handy more, for me. Although I suppose I can already speak to any intelligent sea creature that I'd like to.

Cantrips are locked in (barring DM fiat, which is always reasonable, e.g. "hey I picked this cantrip but I never use it, mind if I switch it?"). But you can re-pick your spells (from all the spells on the druid spell list) after every long rest. Druids and clerics both can get some really unwieldy huge spell lists to pick through once they get a few levels under their belts.

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Cantrips are locked in (barring DM fiat, which is always reasonable, e.g. "hey I picked this cantrip but I never use it, mind if I switch it?"). But you can re-pick your spells (from all the spells on the druid spell list) after every long rest. Druids and clerics both can get some really unwieldy huge spell lists to pick through once they get a few levels under their belts.

Depends on if Tasha's Cauldron is in use or not. There's optional class features in there which let all the casters swap a cantrip out each time they gain an ASI. (TCE enabled Wizards, of course, hit level 3 and pick up the ability to do this every long rest, because haha peasants!!!) But yeah DM fiat anyhow, gotta ask if they're allowed to be used in any case. :v:

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

There are optional class features for a number of spell casters to swap cantrips on level up and/or on long rests iirc.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Major Isoor posted:

You get a third cantrip at level four, and then another at level ten, so you can add to your repertoire. And as others have mentioned there's ways of switching if you're just not happy with what you picked earlier.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

What's a fun warlock concept that can conceptually plug into ToA or at least not be miserable.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Nehru the Damaja posted:

What's a fun warlock concept that can conceptually plug into ToA or at least not be miserable.

Your patron is afflicted by the Death Curse (Undead or Undying), and they've sent you to go deal with it.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

If you can perceive an invisible creature but your buddies can't, can you throw paint, flour, or glitter or something on them or would that become invisible too? I guess that would at the very least make their footprints visible, but that might not be enough to overcome disadvantage on attacks.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Facebook Aunt posted:

If you can perceive an invisible creature but your buddies can't, can you throw paint, flour, or glitter or something on them or would that become invisible too? I guess that would at the very least make their footprints visible, but that might not be enough to overcome disadvantage on attacks.

This is one of the common ways to fight invisibility, yes.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Facebook Aunt posted:

Its up to DM interpretation, but most dms are cool with you antiquing an enemy to make it not be invisible.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

You can always declare that after a round or two whatever substance it was gets absorbed into the invisibility field so it's not completely nullifying the power.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Nehru the Damaja posted:

By popular demand posted:

I thought you just are so cursed already that no new hexes would take.

Splicer posted:

The Mr Burns of hex victims

e: new RPG character concept: Someone who got hit by so many hexes that he can cast spells by selectively leaking

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Toshimo posted:

This is one of the common ways to fight invisibility, yes.

It's also how the spell See Invisibility works:

quote:

Components: V S M (A pinch of talc and a small sprinkling of powdered silver)

Spell components are wonderfully silly, especially when they imply your wizard isn't doing any actual magic (like Invisible Servant, which is a fishing rod)

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Facebook Aunt posted:

then one of your party members throws a fire bolt cantrip or something and your dm begins to glow with an evil energy as they ask "are you sure?"

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

pog boyfriend posted:

then one of your party members throws a fire bolt cantrip or something and your dm begins to glow with an evil energy as they ask "are you sure?"

Very tempted by a character with cook's tools who gets up to all kinds of shenanigans with flour. Throw flour into a fire for a (probably harmless) fireball.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

pog boyfriend posted:

This actually happened in our campaign. One guy threw flour on a duergar to make it visible, the next attacked with a fire bolt without thinking because it was his standard attack. Everyone within 10' took a d8 of damage.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Fun little story from my group's Discord this morning. Our paladin's backstory stuff has been all about hunting the person who burned down the wood elf preserve he used to call home and they're pretty close to catching up with (and presumably killing) the guy. He wants to switch oaths from vengeance to ancients after that, which makes sense, but we realized his entire character arc has been him "growing even more misanthropic, gruff, and unconcerned with humanity as a whole." Thankfully there's some larger "everyone's hosed, including the forest, if you mess this up" plot coming up, but I just found it funny that he ended up trending in the exact opposite direction of how most characters evolve.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

Does anyone have recommendations for a podcast that goes into the lore in D&D they would recommend? I'm not going to use it verbatim but I want to get more familiar with it because I have a player who is VERY DEEP into it and I want to have a better response if they start bringing in established lore than 'lol who cares'. They really wanted to dig into visiting other planes because they like the idea of visiting alien worlds and I want to get a handle on what's already established before I start riffing on things.

We got through the opening chaos of Deep Carbon Observatory, it was a bit much for some players and if I do it again I would trim some of the scenarios that have little pay off, but overall I liked it. There's an item the players can get from an NPC called The Snakewood Staff that is basically a cursed item that can be used to raise simple zombies but it's supposed to sap the user's experience to power the zombies. I'm planning on using milestone leveling, any ideas on how to adapt the power drain in a way that's more interesting than 'you don't get any levels'?

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Zonko_T.M. posted:

There's an item the players can get from an NPC called The Snakewood Staff that is basically a cursed item that can be used to raise simple zombies but it's supposed to sap the user's experience to power the zombies. I'm planning on using milestone leveling, any ideas on how to adapt the power drain in a way that's more interesting than 'you don't get any levels'?
I'd be pretty surprised if any players voluntarily gave up xp to cast Animate Dead (knowing that's the price), so the cursed staff is kind of a weird design. And it would be pretty rude to have them raising zombies and then suddenly the player finds out about a secret and permanent XP debt at level-up time.

Maybe have it be powered by hit dice and/or long rest healing? Having the staff negate the healing from a long rest and forcing the cursed player to use their hit dice exclusively to heal seems like an "interesting" tradeoff. If you want something less punishing, have each use of the staff use up some amount of hit dice.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
We have a ranger in our party who is also a chef, and has been pretty obsessed with food and food prep throughout the campagin. We recently pulled a heist during a fancy banquet. He infiltrated it using his chef skills as a cover and cooked fifty pounds of dinosaur meat for the banquet. We pulled the job, but our escape was slightly complicated by his desire to finish the banquet. Complicated our making our goal, yes, but a wonderfully fun bit of RP.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

It's always a bit of a paradigm shift finishing a high-level campaign and going back to level 1.
"At least I only fell 10 feet." "Take 6 damage." "...oh crap." "There's a rat in here." "GUYS? Little help!"
"Do we want to take a short rest?" "We've only fought four rats so far." "I know, half your life is gone and he's pretty hurt too." "I could cast cure... on one of you."

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Bruceski posted:

It's always a bit of a paradigm shift finishing a high-level campaign and going back to level 1.
"At least I only fell 10 feet." "Take 6 damage." "...oh crap." "There's a rat in here." "GUYS? Little help!"
"Do we want to take a short rest?" "We've only fought four rats so far." "I know, half your life is gone and he's pretty hurt too." "I could cast cure... on one of you."

I'm currently in two campaigns. One of them is closing in on the end of DoMM, level 19. The other has just started recently, we're level 4. Lemme tell you, it's a real fuckin trip to be terrified of the zombies my Cleric could literally dust by the dozens without breaking a sweat.

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

Zonko_T.M. posted:

We got through the opening chaos of Deep Carbon Observatory, it was a bit much for some players and if I do it again I would trim some of the scenarios that have little pay off, but overall I liked it. There's an item the players can get from an NPC called The Snakewood Staff that is basically a cursed item that can be used to raise simple zombies but it's supposed to sap the user's experience to power the zombies. I'm planning on using milestone leveling, any ideas on how to adapt the power drain in a way that's more interesting than 'you don't get any levels'?

My read on the staff was that the xp drain was basically just a way to make it an npc only weapon, given how strong and flexible it is.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

TL posted:

We have a ranger in our party who is also a chef, and has been pretty obsessed with food and food prep throughout the campagin. We recently pulled a heist during a fancy banquet. He infiltrated it using his chef skills as a cover and cooked fifty pounds of dinosaur meat for the banquet.
That's a LOT of chicken wings.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
My DM just had the airship the party was in crash with no survivors. But I was in the drat cargo hold and only took 30 points of damage, the rest of the party was on the deck and took 0.

I think my DM has issues with scale.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Gridlocked posted:

My DM just had the airship the party was in crash with no survivors. But I was in the drat cargo hold and only took 30 points of damage, the rest of the party was on the deck and took 0.

Wait are you saying no survivors aside from the PCs or did you somehow party wipe with some of the team taking 0 damage

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Gridlocked posted:

Maybe the DM meant no survivors amongst characters without plot armour!

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Mr. Lobe posted:

Wait are you saying no survivors aside from the PCs or did you somehow party wipe with some of the team taking 0 damage

No NPC survivors. He specifically said he decided he CBF'd with NPCs.

No explanation as to why I took only 30 points of damage and the people in the cargo hold with me presumably got turned into meat paste.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Gridlocked posted:

No explanation as to why I took only 30 points of damage and the people in the cargo hold with me presumably got turned into meat paste.

Lvl 1 commoners don't have 30 hitpoints, it's just realism

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

What kind of NPCs, though? An average person/commoner only has like, 5 HP.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Yeah normal people would not survive an airship crashing lol

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Gridlocked posted:

You weren't wearing your seatbelt and turned the hold into a people cuisenart with you as the blades

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Splicer posted:

You weren't wearing your seatbelt and turned the hold into a people cuisenart with you as the blades

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fn58OF_lA-Q&t=122s

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Deteriorata posted:

This actually happened in our campaign. One guy threw flour on a duergar to make it visible, the next attacked with a fire bolt without thinking because it was his standard attack. Everyone within 10' took a d8 of damage.

Flour isn't gunpowder

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Mr Beens posted:

Flour isn't gunpowder

Dispersed in air it is explosive, however. Lots of grain silos have blown up due to dust explosions.

https://i.gifer.com/1kas.mp4

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Deteriorata posted:

Dispersed in air it is explosive, however. Lots of grain silos have blown up due to dust explosions.

https://i.gifer.com/1kas.mp4

Yeah I know, but chucking a handful of flour on an invisible dude doesn't explode in a 10 foot radius if some one hits them with fire a few seconds later

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Mr Beens posted:

Yeah I know, but chucking a handful of flour on an invisible dude doesn't explode in a 10 foot radius if some one hits them with fire a few seconds later

The DM ruled it did, so tough luck for us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

DM been watching too many US Chemical Safety Board videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jg7mLSG-Yws