Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geo Fixer
Jan 10, 2012

"Freedom lies in being bold."
-Robert Frost

Earth's Mightiest Heroes was too good for this world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Finally.

CapWolf.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
For anyone who has an iPad (iPhone feels too small YMMV) or Android equivalent, that new Marvel Future Revolution game is gorgeous. If you turn off the autoplay, it's basically a Marvel MMO-lite. With autoplay on it'll literally play itself, apart from tapping on a mission to start it and again to collect the reward, but that's what all the big free-to-play mobile games do these days so, eh. But as someone who likes dumb superhero poo poo, I somehow played it all day yesterday. The loot being mix 'n' match costume pieces so you can play pretty princess dress-up is what got me. I have a Black Widow in fringed cowgirl jacket with fishbowl space helmet and an '80s mohawk Storm so I had a fun day collecting jpegs for zero dollars and zero cents.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Geo Fixer posted:

Earth's Mightiest Heroes was too good for this world

"...I'm the first scientist to examine it because obviously black people can't be scientists..."

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Moreau posted:

My first two comics were a West Coast Avengers and Silver Surfer #63, so two of my favourite heroes are Hank Pym and Mar-Vell. Look how the MCU murdered my boys!

Also, someone mentioned the Hank Pym meme on the last page

Oh, and theres this - which just shows Im not alone!

Hank Pym

That's the stuff; thanks. I never read any stuff with Mar-Vell, but Peter David's run on Captain Marvel is one of my favorites, and the ending was so bittersweet because it had just set up a really interesting and emotional story, but they managed to squeeze in one final issue that bowed the character out in a nice way regardless.

BooDooBoo posted:

Pretty much, because all the stories that followed have been the same: "Oh no Hal is rogue! Oh No he's actually good its the Corps that is bad! Oh no the Corps is changed/Destroyed forever! Oh no! We need to rebuild the Corps! Oh no! Hal is rogue..." and so on

The only comics I've read with Hal are some of the Blackest Night/Lantern War stuff, which was alright. I certainly liked the other emotional corps they introduced. Guy is still my favorite human Lantern though, even if he'd never be the primary regardless of whether Hal existed or not. He's just such an unrepentant rear end in a top hat. He's a dick, he knows it but he also knows that being a hero is better than being a villain, so even though he seems like he should be a villain at times he isn't cause it's not as much fun, the people aren't as cool etc. I know other people love Kyle due to the 90's comics where he was the only lantern while Hal was evil/dead, or John because of Justice League and/or Justice League Unlimited, but Guy's my...well, guy. There's several more lanterns now I've never read I think? Jessica and Baz or something? There'll be an entire Lantern Corp just for Earth soon.

Mogo and a few of the other alien ones are cooler in a..."oh, that's a really fun idea" way, but they rarely ever get any focus to actually like them in anything beyond that superficial way. I love that Mogo, a living planet, has a "ring" made up of weather bands, that the biggest Green Lantern corps member's partner is a fly, the smallest corps member, that he's a relaxation spot and counsellor for Lanterns because his environment can be completely controlled and he's so sage etc. though, regardless.

Everyone posted:

"...I'm the first scientist to examine it because obviously black people can't be scientists..."

I would assume it's because Wakanda hadn't actually revealed it's advancements to the world yet in that cartoon, so everyone thought it was just a poor African nation and not the most advanced civilization on the planet. I haven't seen the show, so I may be wrong, but it certainly seems like that's the implication given the wording.

tsob fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Aug 29, 2021

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

tsob posted:

I would assume it's because Wakanda hadn't actually revealed it's advancements to the world yet in that cartoon, so everyone thought it was just a poor African nation and not the most advanced civilization on the planet. I haven't seen the show, so I may be wrong, but it certainly seems like that's the implication given the wording.

That's the case, yes

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

tsob posted:

Guy is still my favorite human Lantern though, even if he'd never be the primary regardless of whether Hal existed or not. He's just such an unrepentant rear end in a top hat. He's a dick, he knows it but he also knows that being a hero is better than being a villain, so even though he seems like he should be a villain at times he isn't cause it's not as much fun, the people aren't as cool etc. I know other people love Kyle due to the 90's comics where he was the only lantern while Hal was evil/dead, or John because of Justice League and/or Justice League Unlimited, but Guy's my...well, guy.

I never really got much into Green Lantern, but one moment that will stick with me forever is Guy Gardner's crowning moment of awesome. This was way back during that "Eclipse: The Darkness Within" maxiseries during the 80s, I think. Eclipso was this force of darkness that could possess people (multiple people) and he'd possessed Superman. Eclispo's big weakness was sunlight, but I think he'd done something to arrange for some kind of permanent darkness on Earth so sunlight wasn't really a thing right then. So E-Superman was just kicking the living hell out of the various Justice Leagues when Guy flew away. The others figured he was being a coward and Superman is about to murder Ice, the cold-using girl Guy was crushing on when Guy comes back - with a giant bucket of solar matter that he'd gotten by flying to loving Sun. He dumps this stuff on Superman while chanting the Green Lantern motto and they both sink into lava IIRC because they were fighting around a volcano or something. Cue the rest of the JL teams giving a "Holy poo poo! Was that Guy Gardener?" and then a now unpossessed Superman comes back out of thlava holding an unconscious Guy Gardner like a groom with a bride. I've looked for a trade paperback collection of that series but come up empty.

tsob posted:

I figured, but it's still funny to imagine Shuri or whoever going "Well, we've studied it, mined it and derived our extremely advanced technology from vibranium, but please, Mr. Scientist, go ahead and "White-splain" it to us."

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

Everyone posted:

I figured, but it's still funny to imagine Shuri or whoever going "Well, we've studied it, mined it and derived our extremely advanced technology from vibranium, but please, Mr. Scientist, go ahead and "White-splain" it to us."

Shuri has an advanced engineering degree in “rub some Vibranium on it”.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

tsob posted:

Wasn't he originally made a villain just so the writers would have something interesting to do with a character commonly seen as boring?

It was also part of the 90s trend of massive revamps to long-running characters/series, like the Death of Superman, Knightfall, Clone Saga, etc.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Marsupial Ape posted:

Shuri has an advanced engineering degree in “rub some Vibranium on it”.

Figure she needs it because if you gently caress up using "the most versatile metal in the world" it can probably kill the poo poo out of you in multiple horrible ways.

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

tsob posted:

Mogo and a few of the other alien ones are cooler in a..."oh, that's a really fun idea" way, but they rarely ever get any focus to actually like them in anything beyond that superficial way. I love that Mogo, a living planet, has a "ring" made up of weather bands, that the biggest Green Lantern corps member's partner is a fly, the smallest corps member, that he's a relaxation spot and counsellor for Lanterns because his environment can be completely controlled and he's so sage etc. though, regardless.

Mogo's Ring is a supercontinent, but you're right in that Guy is the best GL.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

There. There wolf.

*points at the Punisher*

There Castle.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Heh, the One Shot All Hail the King has turned up on Disney+. Well worth a look (and stick around for the mid-credits).

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

The_Doctor posted:

Heh, the One Shot All Hail the King has turned up on Disney+. Well worth a look (and stick around for the mid-credits).

All Hail the King is legitimately the best bit of Iron Man 3 by a country mile. Ben Kingsley just having the time of his life in that role.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Parkingtigers posted:

All Hail the King is legitimately the best bit of Iron Man 3 by a country mile. Ben Kingsley just having the time of his life in that role.

I wonder will he have a cameo in Shang-Chi? I doubt it, but it'd be fun if he did.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

tsob posted:

I wonder will he have a cameo in Shang-Chi? I doubt it, but it'd be fun if he did.

Adding All Hail the King right now seems like a big hint.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
Forget Ben Kingsley, I want Scoot McNairy in Shang Chi

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

Man, I can't remember the last time I got a perfect seat for a marvel premiere this soon before the showing.

Pro tip: you can reserve the handicapped companion seats, guarantees you will not have anyone next to you on at least one side, usually both. I'm always prepared to give up my seat if someone needs it but it has never come up.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Gangringo posted:

Man, I can't remember the last time I got a perfect seat for a marvel premiere this soon before the showing.

Pro tip: you can reserve the handicapped companion seats, guarantees you will not have anyone next to you on at least one side, usually both. I'm always prepared to give up my seat if someone needs it but it has never come up.

If you've reserved the seat how would it come up that someone needs it, would a handicapped companion reserve a normal seat then go into the theater hoping that someone would of taken the seat but not needed it?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

They could, yeah. It's more of a thing with unassigned theater seating. I had a best friend who was handicapped and we had to kick people out of them all the time, heh.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Gangringo posted:

If Covid has had any bright side, it's that seating in the theater is nicer because they're not allowed sit any one next to another person not in their attending group. So if you go alone the seat to your left, right, rear and front have to be empty. I assume the US was doing the same for a time, but presumably have stopped now? It's still in effect in Ireland, and I've no idea when it'll change. It's probably going to be in effect for a few months yet, at least.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

tsob posted:

If Covid has had any bright side, it's that seating in the theater is nicer because they're not allowed sit any one next to another person not in their attending group. So if you go alone the seat to your left, right, rear and front have to be empty. I assume the US was doing the same for a time, but presumably have stopped now? It's still in effect in Ireland, and I've no idea when it'll change. It's probably going to be in effect for a few months yet, at least.

Yeah in US and my local theater stopped doing this a month or two ago. Was pretty nice especially since it was a theater with those sofa-style chairs.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Avoiding Shang Chi spoilers until the digital release is going to suck.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Spacebump posted:

Oof I know.
People who "hate" MCU and Disney are gonna throw all the spoilers over social media, mark my words.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Oh poo poo, I did not realize it was releasing this weekend. Buying tickets for Friday right now. :D

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Spacebump posted:

Yeah, it'll be out on D+ before cinemas are open again here.

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

Spacebump posted:

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

But what if I download TWO cars.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

This is true only in the sense that ideally none of us would need to own personal vehicles at all.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

The_Doctor posted:

All of the One-Shots should be on Disney+, it must be non-profitable to do the rights or something.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Cattail Prophet posted:

This is true only in the sense that ideally none of us would need to own personal vehicles at all.

It's only true in the sense that it's actively impossible to download a physical object. If it wasn't, people would download them all the time regardless of risk. As is, if someone started uploading 3D printer plans for a personal transport of some kind then that'd probably be downloaded quite a lot regardless of what form it took; be it car, motorbike, e-scooter, glider, whatever. If Star Trek style replicators big enough to create cars flooded the market tomorrow then the auto-industry would go out of business practically over-night. A handful of luxury car makers are about all that'd remain, and they'd be operating more on the prestige of the badge and the idea of hand-built having some innate value than anything.

tsob fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Aug 31, 2021

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Jet Jaguar posted:

All of the One-Shots should be on Disney+, it must be non-profitable to do the rights or something.

Agent Carter is there as an Extra with Iron Man 3.

A year or two ago I could swear I went looking for these on D+ and All Hail The King was the only one not on there, but they were all listed as extras under the movie they released with, like The Consultant with Thor. But now most are gone again? Or maybe I dreamt it.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Desperado Bones posted:

Oof I know.
People who "hate" MCU and Disney are gonna throw all the spoilers over social media, mark my words.

I'm sure there will be Shang Chi spoilers in this thread before the 5th episode of what if.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

:lol Ah, knowing this thread yeah.

Gonna have to unfollow a couple of threads for a while :cry:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I mean… he’s gonna end up fighting against a different Asian guy with martial arts based super powers and there’s gonna be a blue sky laser.

The early reviews of Shang-Chi were saying it’s barely a “martial arts” movie and more like watching a bunch of ripped guys do Kata

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Half the theaters here are boycotting all Marvel movies this year because it comes out on digital release too fast, or something like that.

I wouldn't mind digital only releases so much if it wasn't for the fact that Disney+ is charging me twice the money I would pay in the theater, and I only get to see the movies on my computer screen.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
I had fan screening tickets last Friday, but don't do spoilers. I absolutely loved the film though.

All I'll say is that a third of the cinema left before the mid credits scene. Who does that? At a special fans preview at that? There's a mid and post credit scene BTW.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

tsob posted:

It's only true in the sense that it's actively impossible to download a physical object. If it wasn't, people would download them all the time regardless of risk. As is, if someone started uploading 3D printer plans for a personal transport of some kind then that'd probably be downloaded quite a lot regardless of what form it took; be it car, motorbike, e-scooter, glider, whatever. If Star Trek style replicators big enough to create cars flooded the market tomorrow then the auto-industry would go out of business practically over-night. A handful of luxury car makers are about all that'd remain, and they'd be operating more on the prestige of the badge and the idea of hand-built having some innate value than anything.

This is the basis of the world building in The Diamond Age by Stephenson. It’s a pretty good book.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Masonity posted:

I had fan screening tickets last Friday, but don't do spoilers. I absolutely loved the film though.

All I'll say is that a third of the cinema left before the mid credits scene. Who does that? At a special fans preview at that? There's a mid and post credit scene BTW.

It happens in regular screenings too, i remember in past movied people would leave as soon as or before the movie ended/credits rolled and only a few turbo nerds would stay until the last credit.

:shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Desperado Bones posted:

It happens in regular screenings too, i remember in past movied people would leave as soon as or before the movie ended/credits rolled and only a few turbo nerds would stay until the last credit.

:shrug:

I'm an old man and after two plus hours in the theatre I usually need to really pee more than I need to see midcredits/end credits scenes that will be on YouTube by the time I get home