Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I'm gonna make the sour creamiest twice baked potato today and aint nothing gonna stop me.

Bacon, cheese, scallions, the works.

Might even loosely wrap it in foil and then walk up to the kitchen window and have my partner hand it to me wearing a red wig.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
you know what scratch that. she's gonna dress up like Dave Thomas.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

you know what scratch that. she's gonna dress up like Dave Thomas.

lmao

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Where’s the beef?

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

I'm gonna make the sour creamiest twice baked potato today and aint nothing gonna stop me.

Bacon, cheese, scallions, the works.

Might even loosely wrap it in foil and then walk up to the kitchen window and have my partner hand it to me wearing a red wig.

hell yeah brother

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Zedhe Khoja posted:

hell yeah brother

this is like one of those deepdream pictures where it's all made out of dicks isn't it.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
no its just your average everyday ortakoy kumpir
your given a little checklist to fill out and then they bring you a two thousand calorie starchbomb

the same places do the same thing with waffles and it's traditional to eat one then the other in succession
for whatever reason it's an incredibly popular datenight activity because nothing puts a turkish woman in the mood to shag like 5000 calories in carbs

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

TheSlutPit posted:

also fresh oregano sucks rear end and should not be used in a tomato sauce of any kind. sorry you had to find you this way.

fresh oregano is great but definitely not in pizza sauce

make the SE halal chicken, it owns

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

see this is why every time I think I know what the gently caress im doing with spices and go off book, I get hosed with a lovely product.

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

Zedhe Khoja posted:

no its just your average everyday ortakoy kumpir
your given a little checklist to fill out and then they bring you a two thousand calorie starchbomb

I’m curious about what the “American salad (Russian salad)” is.

quote:

the same places do the same thing with waffles and it's traditional to eat one then the other in succession
for whatever reason it's an incredibly popular datenight activity because nothing puts a turkish woman in the mood to shag like 5000 calories in carbs

There used to be a restaurant that sold kumpir near me. They closed, but I’m wondering if they could have one better with different marketing (and waffles). That thing you posted looked amazeballs

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

Zombie Dachshund posted:

I’m curious about what the “American salad (Russian salad)” is.

There used to be a restaurant that sold kumpir near me. They closed, but I’m wondering if they could have one better with different marketing (and waffles). That thing you posted looked amazeballs

It's some kind of potato salad as I recall.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I figured it'd be coleslaw, potato salad on a baked potato is hubris

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

i say swears online posted:

I figured it'd be coleslaw, potato salad on a baked potato is hubris

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olivier_salad
This apparently. I've seen it at Raki bars. Never seen anyone eat it. Never saw it in America either, even at the McZedhe clan gathering in the Texas hill country which had every kind of starchy miracle whip smothered "salad" you could imagine.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

oh wow that's extremely midwestern. fredericksburg german food ftw though

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

Anyone know any good sites or blogs for Russian cooking? I’m looking to make like some pelmeni and kvass and stuff.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I am getting very very good at wings

as mentioned earlier, recipe is based on kenji's oven baked wings but i do them in the air fryer

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Hell yeah those are good wings

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

My in laws gave me like a dozen summer squashes and a head of cabbage.

Should I make a soup? Pickles squash chips? Slaw?

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

squash rules on the grill. oil salt grill. that said it’s pretty late season and they get thicker skins at the end. oil salt grill balsamic glaze to cut the bitter skins if they are thick.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

i love summer squash. I've only ever sautéed, grilled, or baked it in rounds. i bet pickled and fried summer squash would be amazing and im bummed i didn't think of that ever

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

My in laws gave me like a dozen summer squashes and a head of cabbage.

Should I make a soup? Pickles squash chips? Slaw?

cabbage, sausage, and potato soup is the stuff of heroes

basically this but adjust it to whatever you feel like, I can tell by your other posts you know enough about what you're doin'/what you like
https://www.gimmesomeoven.com/cabbage-sausage-potato-soup/

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

So last time I tried to quick cook dry beans in my pressure cooker I didn't use enough water and they scorched.

How much water should I be using per cup of beans?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

So last time I tried to quick cook dry beans in my pressure cooker I didn't use enough water and they scorched.

How much water should I be using per cup of beans?

I just fill the sucker up since I'm draining it anyway, I think general guidance is 3:1

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
use a lot, it won't make it taste any different if you use a lot of water or just the "right" amount

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

cabbage, sausage, and potato soup is the stuff of heroes

basically this but adjust it to whatever you feel like, I can tell by your other posts you know enough about what you're doin'/what you like
https://www.gimmesomeoven.com/cabbage-sausage-potato-soup/

lactoferment that cabbage first and make the soup with the resulting sauerkraut. even better. make it vegetarian by swapping sausage for beans, or make it loving own by adding both. its all up to you!

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

IAMKOREA posted:

lactoferment that cabbage first and make the soup with the resulting sauerkraut. even better. make it vegetarian by swapping sausage for beans, or make it loving own by adding both. its all up to you!

I know someone has posted how before but how do I do the lactoferment. is it a super long process?

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

Celebrating the formal end of a stupid idiotic war with a bowl of alevi style Ashure.
Not the best tasting thing in the world, but thats just keeping with the theme imo.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I know someone has posted how before but how do I do the lactoferment. is it a super long process?

I ended up following the sauerkraut recipe on SeriousEats and now I'm two weeks away from my cabbage dreams.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

cut up cabbage into strips
salt
pound or crush with your hands until the liquid comes out
put in crock
pound down some more
follower on top
weights on follower all cabbage should be submerged
cover crock
wait like two weeks

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

just get this book

Fermented Vegetables: Creative Recipes for Fermenting 64 Vegetables & Herbs in Krauts, Kimchis, Brined Pickles, Chutneys, Relishes & Pastes https://g.co/kgs/ELsG7u

or just ask in the canning / preserving thread in GWS

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Depends on how sour you want it, the longer you go the more sour it gets. Shred cabbage and add 2% salt by weight. After the salt has pulled out a lot of moisture from the cabbage pack it into a jar, preferably with an airlock, and top up with the brine. It should be bubbling away after just a couple of days at room temp, but I like to then let it go for at least a couple of weeks in the fridge.

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

Bar Ran Dun posted:

cut up cabbage into strips
salt
pound or crush with your hands until the liquid comes out
put in crock
pound down some more
follower on top
weights on follower all cabbage should be submerged
cover crock
wait like two weeks

I like to add caraway seed and juniper berries, and taste it after like 1.5 weeks to see how it’s doing. When it reaches a pleasant level of acidity I jar it and move it to the fridge for another 2 weeks or so. This slows down the fermentation dramatically and allows the flavors to round out a bit imo.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

a fridge period will also knock down any sliminess you get if you are fermenting at bit too hot a temperature.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I just found the combo airlock+ spring loaded top that Ball sells and man I wish I could just buy one.

I don't need like a six pack. I'm not gonna turn into a Pickle Guy.

e:oh wait it's just a two pack. that seems manageable.

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

Real pickle guys just buy bigger crocks, not more airlocks :)

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

yeah crocks are superior in every way.

and you have to sleep eventually we will turn you into a pickle guy

make some giardiniera
or a fermented hot sauce

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

when i was in el salvador everybody ate some kinda of giardiniera and i thought it was interesting

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Bar Ran Dun posted:

yeah crocks are superior in every way.

and you have to sleep eventually we will turn you into a pickle guy

make some giardiniera
or a fermented hot sauce

Wait wait what

tell me how to ferment my own pickles at home
I do quick pickles all the time but I'm worried fermenting stuff will kill me but I guess I shouldn't be so afraid it's like one of the earliest culinary techniques we learned as a species but still
I'm ready to make it happen

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Wait wait what

tell me how to ferment my own pickles at home
I do quick pickles all the time but I'm worried fermenting stuff will kill me but I guess I shouldn't be so afraid it's like one of the earliest culinary techniques we learned as a species but still
I'm ready to make it happen

get a crock number 1 or number 2
get good salt iodine free salt (I like Redmond)
get veggies you want to ferment
clean crock
clean and prep veg
veg into crock
mix brine
I usually add a starter from a previous good ferment or a live pickle I like
brine into crock
follower on top (I use cut down flexible cutting boards)
weights on top of follower
cloth over crock
lid over cloth
skim about once a week (this is scooping mold off the top with a spoon, don’t worry about kahm yeast though)
wait a couple of weeks to a month
transfer to jars
refrigerate

submerge in brine it will be fine. that book I posted is everything you would ever want about the details

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
It's really hard to make something that will make you really sick when doing semi-aerobic fermentation.