Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Your favorite isekai thought crime
slavery
war crimes
boobs
protags that correctly remember and know how to recreate complex technologies
View Results

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Brought To You By posted:

I really am going to enjoy this villainous story. Every time a new character shows up is magic

Because all but two people in this house are entirely horrible individuals.

And I love it. Just some thoughts about the rest Roxanne not having an indomitable position within the house is appreciated. Her brother Dion is clearly someone she has to tip-toe around and he mentioned something about the venom butterfly eggs that leads me to believe he knew the 1st one had hatched despite Roxanne hiding that from others. Maria and the other sibling are good chaotic elements and despite the Agriche Patriarch not doing much I suspect he's got some cards to play as well. I feel bad for Roxxie's mother though, how did a woman like her wind up in a house like that? The story doesn't have many characters but it's consistently engaging with what's there and seriously the author really enjoys giving people new outfits. I swear Roxxie has two new dresses every chapter. What with all the blood and stuff.

I just want to say that the latest chapter just came out and even though it contains the guy giving her a super dramatic kiss to save her life with his holy powers, most of the comments are just worried about the poor innocent flesh-eating butterfly familiars that need to feed on her poisonous blood. And I absolutely agree, I am super worried for those butterflies.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Feb 8, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Oh boy that's potentially bad news on those butterflies because if she doesn't have more from the 1st batch and the 3rd egg fails she's hosed. Nothing to give to dad for a good review and losing her info network

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
the fate of the butterflies...

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
I came across a WN that piqued my interest and sitting right there in the first chapter was this:

quote:

I’ll explain. Why was I left behind?

1, I can’t move when I need to if I’m wearing a maid’s outfit with a long skirt.
2, though, it’s ridiculous to take it off because underneath the maid’s outfit is instant underwear!
3, as I’m a woman, I generally have low athletic ability compared to a man, so I would be dead weight.

And that’s about it. Oh, and by the way, I don’t think this is sexist or anything.

As I am a woman, my physical abilities are inferior to men’s because the female hormone estrogen prevents me from building up muscles.

I have confidence in my body’s ability to accelerate at a moment’s notice, but my endurance, my maximum speed, and my muscle strength are inferior to men.

Even that wobbly, slender bean sprout Hagasaki-kun is more athletic than me. In arm wrestling, I lose. In finger wrestling, I lose because of his reach. I don’t understand.

Well, there it is. It’s biologically correct to say that men are outside and women are inside. Yeah.

Ahahahaha, gently caress off. Thanks for putting that right out front though, since it means I won't waste any time. (The WN is Maid Will Go on Through Thick and Thin! just to save anyone else time if they see it.)

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Onean posted:

I came across a WN that piqued my interest and sitting right there in the first chapter was this:

Ahahahaha, gently caress off. Thanks for putting that right out front though, since it means I won't waste any time. (The WN is Maid Will Go on Through Thick and Thin! just to save anyone else time if they see it.)

It’s always good when they let you know upfront that they’re garbage so you can go read something else.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Onean posted:

That feels so absurdly sexist in such an upfront way that I can't help but wonder if there's a sort of catch. Like she develops "Supreme Goddess" powers because yeah, holy poo poo that was hosed up.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Imagining She-Hulk crashing into that world like a meteor and the universe folding on itself because even this fantasy world- I'm assuming that has magic, dragons, etc etc- cannot exist if the women are not all small and harmless like Alice in Wonderland.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

doomrider7 posted:

That feels so absurdly sexist in such an upfront way that I can't help but wonder if there's a sort of catch. Like she develops "Supreme Goddess" powers because yeah, holy poo poo that was hosed up.

I was wondering that too, so I did read a few more chapters past the first and checked out the reviews, which are overall positive (4.5ish stars, if I'm remembering correctly).

The MC stays in the room they arrived in, which is the Chemistry lab they were in when they were all transported, and keeps picking up support skills that all stick with the Maid theme while her classmates keep getting attack skills (it is a fantasy world, with swords and magic). The only exception is some kind of animal training skill, based on the tags on NovelUpdates. She's also the only woman and the only one that stays back, at least up to chapter 10, which is where I stopped skimming.

The reviews all mention stuff along the lines of it being a good story about the people that stay behind to support those that go out. While that might be an interesting perspective to read, basing it around :biotruths: as the reason your MC stays back isn't how you do it.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Posted in the other Isekai thread, reposting here because WHY NOT.

Buta Koushaku ni Tensei Shitakara, Kondo wa Kimi ni Suki to Iitai

I've been reading it lately, and it's quite good. MC is watching an anime and wakes up the next day as the 'Piggy duke' - A side character in an anime he likes. The Piggy Duke is widely hated as being a fat, terrible character who abuses his power and authority and is a complete rear end. But at the same time he's got good reason for acting like he does, and in reality he's a very kind and devoted guy. The character has a tragic story in the anime (Lost love, not lost life), so the MC decides to try to avoid the tragedy and aim for a happier ending.

https://mangadex.org/title/24206/buta-koushaku-ni-tensei-shitakara-kondo-wa-kimi-ni-suki-to-iitai

It's quite interesting, no slavery, only the mildest of fanservice (One 'girls chatting in a bathtub' bit which seems drat near required for most manga these days), an MC who's really likable despite not being the protagonist of the anime. Also a big fat awesome CAT! 'There's plenty of action, plenty of fights and magic and so on. I'd highly recommend giving it a look to anyone who's looking for a fun new series.

khy fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Feb 19, 2021

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

khy posted:

I've been reading it lately, and it's quite good. MC is watching an anime and wakes up the next day as the 'Piggy duke' - A side character in an anime he likes. The Piggy Duke is widely hated as being a fat, terrible character who abuses his power and authority and is a complete rear end. But at the same time he's got good reason for acting like he does, and in reality he's a very kind and devoted guy. The character has a tragic story in the anime (Lost love, not lost life), so the MC decides to try to avoid the tragedy and aim for a happier ending.

https://mangadex.org/title/24206/buta-koushaku-ni-tensei-shitakara-kondo-wa-kimi-ni-suki-to-iitai

It's quite interesting, no slavery, only the mildest of fanservice (One 'girls chatting in a bathtub' bit which seems drat near required for most manga these days), an MC who's really likable despite not being the protagonist of the anime. Also a big fat awesome CAT! 'There's plenty of action, plenty of fights and magic and so on. I'd highly recommend giving it a look to anyone who's looking for a fun new series.

This series is good, I just wish it updated more frequently. Similar to the wave of otome game villainess manga that popped up over the past few years, it's refreshing to see the protagonist be from a different walk of life than 'powerful-but-underestimated villager/low-rank noble' that most isekai use.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

khy posted:

Yeah, I read this awhile back then put it on hold when it didn't update for like a year. It was fun and I don't recall anything objectionable. I guess some people might find the "short fat kid lives romantic fantasies" to be eyeroll worthy wish fulfillment but even there it was established he had had a reason to try to ruin his appearance and was working hard to lose weight afterwards.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Bremen posted:

Yeah, I read this awhile back then put it on hold when it didn't update for like a year. It was fun and I don't recall anything objectionable. I guess some people might find the "short fat kid lives romantic fantasies" to be eyeroll worthy wish fulfillment but even there it was established he had had a reason to try to ruin his appearance and was working hard to lose weight afterwards.

As far as isekai wish fulfillment goes, it's a 3/10 at best. He went from RL normal dude (From what I can tell in the single silhouette panel on page 1) to in-game short fat kid, he did gain strong magical power but became hated and a laughingstock at the same time, and he doesn't have women throwing their crotches at him everywhere he goes. He has to work harder than 90% of isekai protags out there. S'one reason I like it, he actually puts in effort to get good results and doesn't get poo poo just handed to him by a miraculous voice.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
This one popped up on my radar; Isekai Mokushiroku Mynoghra. Story goes that a sickly kid passes away and gets isekai'd to a world where he can use his RTS skills, but for real as he was the best in the world. Of course he played the requisite evil race and rather than a goddess he has a hero unit from the game as his companion and tag-along so reminiscent of Overlord. Story hits some familiar beats like conscripting a destitute race into the fold and at least there's a laugh or two about a well adjusted kid playing the part of the "God of Ruin" about as well as you'd expect. His partner fills that role out for him though.

So far not a bad series Felt bad for Sir Wendel since he got saddled with the dumbest member of his order

Shinju no Nectar has shifted over to it's fantasy equivalent of Constantinople going off some of the comments. The kingdom of Breasts will give us some time away from Kai and we're getting the Hassas mercenary Gil as the focus.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

those are some excellent faces

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

People still read Shinju no Nectar?

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Kwyndig posted:

People still read Shinju no Nectar?
It's still good if a bit slow during the recent arc.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

This one popped up on my radar; Isekai Mokushiroku Mynoghra. Story goes that a sickly kid passes away and gets isekai'd to a world where he can use his RTS skills, but for real as he was the best in the world. Of course he played the requisite evil race and rather than a goddess he has a hero unit from the game as his companion and tag-along so reminiscent of Overlord. Story hits some familiar beats like conscripting a destitute race into the fold and at least there's a laugh or two about a well adjusted kid playing the part of the "God of Ruin" about as well as you'd expect. His partner fills that role out for him though.

I'm enjoying this. It's got a nice combination of comedy and brutality so far, and I appreciate the pairing of a "nice" PC paired with a ruthless NPC (and unlike Overlord you don't have to deal with the PC trying to act cool).

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

khy posted:

I've been reading it lately, and it's quite good. MC is watching an anime and wakes up the next day as the 'Piggy duke' - A side character in an anime he likes........

The thing I enjoy the most about this one is that the character is supposed to be very smart and perceptive and most of the time it actually feels very natural and not forced. I don't see those character traits portrayed well that often and I think the author does a pretty decent job of it.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I find it amusing that the original Roxanne was apparently the joker.

MC is still delightfully evil herself in her own way.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Bought and read Vol 5 of Undead Adventurer manga.

THEY GAVE EDEL A COCKNEY ACCENT IN THE 4KOMA AND HE SAID THE "YOU WOT M8?"

Rentt is also still cool bro and LN8 is getting translated as well and should be out in June.

Edit: The cover for LN8 is...rather eyebrow raising. Very much makes it clear that some poo poo is about change.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
An interesting article on the history of the Narou school of isekai: https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/feature/2021-03-19/mushoku-tensei-is-not-the-pioneer-of-isekai-web-novels-but/.170429

Short version: It's all secretly Familiar of Zero fanfiction.

There's an interesting parallel (not mentioned in the article, although someone in the ANN forum thread notes it) to English-language anime fanfiction like Hill of Swords (in which Shirou from F/SN is summoned into the world of Familiar of Zero).

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Mar 23, 2021

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
The part about the going outside trauma being what initially made it popular actually explains a lot, like the ridiculous ED trauma.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Isekie RTS Mynoghra got an update and after successfully repelling the holy inquisition's first expedition and completing our first structure our intrepid duo move onto the next challenge. Communication disorder. Their solution is a novel one

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.

Isekie RTS Mynoghra got an update and after successfully repelling the holy inquisition's first expedition and completing our first structure our intrepid duo move onto the next challenge. Communication disorder. Their solution is a novel one

I immediately dumped it from my reading list.
Wtf is that solution!?

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Eeepies posted:

Wtf is that solution!?

It's just a cheap joke to introduce two new characters dude. Nothing skeevy yet and instead the twins that got introduced are both tragic characters; one ate her own mother because during the dark elve's exile food got scarce so cannibalism became a thing within the community. And the other has some burn scars from a disease.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Eeepies posted:

Wtf is that solution!?

I dunno, but even his majesty is like,

"WTF?! PHRASING!!"

So I think it's a MASSIVE misunderstanding.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the joke is that his aide wanted to bring in people the guy would find non-threatening to help with his communication disorder, but phrased it in the worst possible way.

Syritta
Jun 28, 2012

It's just a cheap joke to introduce two new characters dude. Nothing skeevy yet and instead the twins that got introduced are both tragic characters; one ate her own mother because during the dark elve's exile food got scarce so cannibalism became a thing within the community. And the other has some burn scars from a disease.

it seemed fine to me too, but "don't worry it's cool, she just ate her own mother" is not the most reassuring response i've ever seen.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the joke is that his aide wanted to bring in people the guy would find non-threatening to help with his communication disorder, but phrased it in the worst possible way.

Sensible solutions phrased the worst-way possible is the hallmark of this manga (and I love it).

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
The WWay to Protect the Female Lead's Older Brother
Some things happened. Some poo poo went down. We got a time skip. Then everyone went to medieval times

Pick your faction and grab a turkey leg.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i'm just in it for the rad character art.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
What happened to 25 of the chapters?

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Jackard posted:

What happened to 25 of the chapters?

I didn't notice that myself. Maybe they just weren't uploading to their own site until MD went down. Here's the whole series

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
There have been two new chapters of Drifters in the past days,

I like cool old men but Hirano is killing me with these hiatuses.

On the other side of logistical isekai, catching up on the RTS isekai showed that the truest way to diplomatic relationships is to drop the F-bomb.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

doomrider7 posted:

Finished all three chapters out and hope that if goblins show up, they're like the ones from Slime or that other new isekai with cute gobbos. Alternatively, Dungeon Nursery or Wasabi styled ones are also welcome.

Super weird quoting my own posts, but now I'm trying to recall which anime or manga this was. I think it might be the one with the Gandalf guy reincarnation himself as a child and being raised by a goblin tribe similar to Slimes, but can't recall the name.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
this one, probably?

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

No not that one(but I will be reading it and you have my thanks). The MC was a local and reincarnated as a human raised by goblins. It got brought up either here or the other thread.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

pretty sure you mean this one

god forbid it have an easily searched for name that actually includes goblin instead of whatever dumb LN name it actually has

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

TheFlyingLlama posted:

pretty sure you mean this one

god forbid it have an easily searched for name that actually includes goblin instead of whatever dumb LN name it actually has

Yeah that's the one. Name means Reincarnated Mage Raised by Monsters or something to that effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Man I remember asking Mangadex years ago if they could just have English titles in the follows and search lists. They agreed it was a good idea and then never did it.