Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
Theres been conflicting reports, do I hoard tomoe paper or not?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I think the Tomoe formula is changing slightly? But I would be surprised if it makes that big a difference for 90% of users

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

teraflame posted:

Theres been conflicting reports, do I hoard tomoe paper or not?

The company is ending production in October or November but announced that it would outsource production by then so that there would be no gap in availability. It’s still being made, but some people are panicking. And places like Galen Leather and Nanami Paper have been working on alternative paper for their notebooks. Galen announced that they’re switching to cosmo air, which is supposedly really good.

Abyss
Oct 29, 2011
Probably won't be as bad as the Hagoromo chalk incident.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

grack fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Aug 28, 2021

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Abyss posted:

Probably won't be as bad as the Hagoromo chalk incident.

The who what now?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Also, i hate money. Evidence in a couple of days.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

iospace posted:

Also, i hate money. Evidence in a couple of days.

I mean are you really living if you can't order fancy stationery on whim?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Alder posted:

I mean are you really living if you can't order fancy stationery on whim?

Oh it's more then that.

A preview!

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

emerald of chivor is always money well spent

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

iospace posted:

The who what now?

Some Japanese company made the perfect chalk for blackboards, sales declined, management got old and nobody wanted to take over the factory. When teh announcement came that they were stopping production, chalk aficionado's globally panicked and started hoarding this chalk. Parts of production were eventually handed over to some other company in S-Korea and the brand name was sold to them as well iirc. Not sure what the status is now, I am not that much into chalk but it was a perfect example of decades of craftsmanship leading to a perfect product that became obsolete and unfortunately was discontinued.
With the global economy as it is now, niche markets for everyone, it might be able to survive with the right marketing but the 70+ aged owners could not find anyone to rise to that challenge.

And yeah, that is a good ink and nowhere bad with money.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Pilot question:

As I understand it, the Pilot MR is the EU version of the Pilot Metropolitan, the difference being that it a.) takes standard international cartridges, and b.) only comes with a Medium nib.

If I wanted a MR/Metropolitan with a Fine nib, what would be the easiest way to go about it? Are the nibs compatible so I could get a Metropolitan Fine and stick it on one of my MR:s, or would I have to get a whole new Metropolitan? I'd probably prefer to just get the entire pen, but they're not available at all in the EU AFAIK, and I'd prefer to not pay for shipping from the US.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Assuming the MR nib is the same as the Metro, and i have to imagine it is, then you'd also be able to swap it with a kakuno nib

unzealous
Mar 24, 2009

Die, Die, DIE!
Hell yeah, I have finally achieved skull pen

Now I need a pen case that holds like 10 pens, because all the one's Ive seen have very little between 3 and 50

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

unzealous posted:

Now I need a pen case that holds like 10 pens, because all the one's Ive seen have very little between 3 and 50

Galen Leather's got you covered

https://www.galenleather.com/collections/zippered-pen-pencil-cases/for-ten-pens

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

unzealous posted:

Pen Addict podcast had the owner behind Gravitas Pens on recently. https://www.relay.fm/penaddict/465. Interesting discussion about the company’s start up and Kickstarter fail.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

They're good, OP.

Also order from them directly and get a bunch of goodies.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

unzealous posted:

I need this pen in my life.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

The mailman brought me this today, I won a raffle from a pen review! A pen I actually considered paying for. Not sure what ink to put in tho.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Keetron posted:

The mailman brought me this today, I won a raffle from a pen review! A pen I actually considered paying for. Not sure what ink to put in tho.

What a firey pen! Diamine did a Fire Embers red-orange ink for Inkvent. That's what I would do first.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

Solkanar512 posted:

I was looking at getting a few of the limited edition Platinum Preppy pens, do the barrels still have cracking issues?

Goddamn it. I didn't know they existed and now I have several on order.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

effika posted:

What a firey pen! Diamine did a Fire Embers red-orange ink for Inkvent. That's what I would do first.

That one happens to be in my collection, I will try it first and do some doodle in two days (reasons, really).

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
One of my good friends is in Switzerland for awhile. Are there any pens or inks she could find there that I can't get in Canada?

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
This kickstarter for a dip pen looks cool as heck but also hella expensive. Is there any chance it's actually gonna be worth it?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
No.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
Certainly not for $200.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Is it just me, or do the majority of the backing tiers not give you a functioning pen? Why spend a hundred bucks for a machined aluminum rod?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

howe_sam posted:

Is it just me, or do the majority of the backing tiers not give you a functioning pen? Why spend a hundred bucks for a machined aluminum rod?

Don't make me tap the thread title

unzealous
Mar 24, 2009

Die, Die, DIE!
Just get a nice glass dip pen, they're neat and look pretty.

Dad Hominem
Dec 4, 2005

Standing room only on the Disco Bus
Fun Shoe
If you're already buying stuff online from Japan (which is the eventual fate of a lot of pen nerds), you don't need to back the Kickstarter, just buy something in stock from their existing shop: https://drillog.stores.jp/items/5fdd9e8872eb4646927b0220

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord

unzealous posted:

Just get a nice glass dip pen, they're neat and look pretty.

oh, I have one; I just like the idea of a dip pen that can hold more ink than my glass dip pen.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Some rare username anti-synergy

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

So I've used various fountain pens over the last 3-4 years. I work in healthcare and write on various quality paper in addition to having to fit my writing into small boxes very frequently for flowsheets.

I've found that the fine or very fine/Japanese fine tip fountain pens universally stall for me and are unpleasant to write with, and anything broader is either far too broad for writing numbers into small boxes or bleeds/feathers far too much when writing in long form on some of our documentation.

I have a ballpoint (maybe not technically a ballpoint?) pen that has a converter in it and I can use various inks with it but it's very broad .... balled?

Is there a ballpoint pen that takes a converter (or is otherwise refillable with custom inks) with a fine tip? Thanks in advance.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

inklesspen posted:

This kickstarter for a dip pen looks cool as heck but also hella expensive. Is there any chance it's actually gonna be worth it?

Doubtful v:v:v

I would just buy a $100 pen and some inks for better value.

Uganda Loves Me
May 24, 2002

I'm trying to improve my handwriting and ergonomics. I'm using a small journal that's about 1/2 inch thick, and I'm finding it a bit awkward to write in. I'm used to bigger notebooks, where I can rest my palm as I write. When I get to the edges of the journal, it's a challenge to comfortably keep consistent lettering, and my lines of text don't align as much. From some google searches, I get the impression that I should emphasize my forearm over my fingers and wrist as I write. I feel like I have to hover my arm though, and I can't quite make it work that way. I've thought about finding something of equal thickness to the journal that I can rest my arm on as I write. That seems like a weird solution. My desk height is adjustable, so I'll try writing at different elevations. One site recommended writing on an inclined surface. I'm going to keep working on my finger positioning as I hold the pen, as well as the angle at which I hold it.

I found these to be good tips https://www.ergonomics.ucla.edu/injuries-and-prevention/handwriting-tips, but if someone has a more detailed guide I'd be interested.

Has anyone else experienced this? Trying to google the issue mostly comes up with journal articles on ergonomic writing, and that would cost valuable stationery money. I'm wondering if I should just use big notebooks to write in.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

... gently caress do I journey into downtown Chicago to go to a pen shop tomorrow?

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Uganda Loves Me posted:

:words:
I'm wondering if I should just use big notebooks to write in.

When I was reading this, all I could think of was: relax and get a bigger journal, they come in A4 / letter size.

iospace posted:

... gently caress do I journey into downtown Chicago to go to a pen shop tomorrow?
yes, in fact you will.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

iospace posted:

Yeah? Is there a reason why you shouldn't? Covid doesn't count

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

iospace posted:

Which one are you thinking of going to? I love Atlas's wall of notebooks. I'm sad that Anderson's is closed, but I heard they're reopening it next month!