Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
re: token generation

They've already done "this ability triggers only once each turn", so maybe this'll be "this ability triggers only if you don't control a [x] token"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I feel like looking for drawbacks on the generation of tokens is the wrong way to look at it. Seems to me it’s more likely to be drawbacks on the tokens themselves.

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
I hope its more ways to force your opponent to create tokens.

And then, you know, balance that however

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

ungulateman posted:

re: token generation

They've already done "this ability triggers only once each turn", so maybe this'll be "this ability triggers only if you don't control a [x] token"?

Its been done. https://scryfall.com/card/tpr/35/spirit-mirror

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

flatluigi posted:

i think it's already been pinned down as faithless looting

:thunk:

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

ungulateman posted:

"this ability triggers only if you don't control a [x] token"?

In addition to Spirit Mirror, this is also basically how Amass works.

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

The Hand That Feeds 2G

At the beginning of your upkeep create a 2/2 green werewolf token

At the beginning of each upkeep if you cast two or more spells last turn turn * deals damage to you equal to the amount of werewolves you control

Or if forces you to transform them to kill all the tokens idk man

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Madness is the ringer for returning INN mechanic if only because they Just This Week dropped Madness into Historic via Jumpstart: Historic Horizons. I would have previously guessed it wasn't on the list, because coding the timing interactions for it seems like a pain, but if they just recently showed off that they've got it working in Arena, then it seems like the obvious candidate.

mandatory lesbian posted:

they literally brought back storm once

like maro isnt the only designer the storm scale is just his opinion, not the whole teams

To my knowledge, they haven't had a Storm card in Standard since the Storm Scale got named. But, feel free to prove me wrong.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Banned in Modern and unplayed in legacy Fiathless Looting is not a tournament card. :colbert:

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

HootTheOwl posted:

unplayed in legacy Fiathless Looting

Yo, do you have a bot set up to generate wrong posts with this level of accuracy?

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013
mandatory lesbian might've meant to say 'madness' instead of 'storm'. If that was the case, Mark talks about that decision here in a fair amount of detail in the Storm Scale article for Innistrad & Shadows: https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/making-magic/storm-scale-innistrad-and-shadows-over-innistrad-2017-03-27

His conclusion to that section is as follows:

quote:

When I did the original Storm Scale article, I used madness as an example of what an 8 was. Then just a few months later we released Shadows over Innistrad, which had madness in it. As I explained in the preview article for Shadows over Innistrad, the stars did, in fact, align. We were doing a block all about insanity that had a graveyard component. It was the perfect fit for madness, so we did what we needed to do to make it work. So, doesn't that change its grading? It had the potential to, but instead it just reaffirmed the problems with madness. It works weirdly with the rules, it has complexity issues, it warps set design. I believe its chances of return are about the same as when I first classified it as an 8.

A high rating on the storm scale doesn't mean the mechanic will never get reprinted, anyways. In the linked article, phasing is listed as a 9 on the scale.

kurona_bright fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Aug 31, 2021

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Toshimo posted:

Madness is the ringer for returning INN mechanic if only because they Just This Week dropped Madness into Historic via Jumpstart: Historic Horizons. I would have previously guessed it wasn't on the list, because coding the timing interactions for it seems like a pain, but if they just recently showed off that they've got it working in Arena, then it seems like the obvious candidate.

The mechanics that make up a madness card already existed on Arena, so it doesn't seem to be that complicated to me. To make madness you need to do 3 things:
First move the card into a different zone when it's discarded, like Nexus of Fate.
Then trigger when that discard happens, like Ajani's Last Stand.
And finally allow the player to cast the spell from exile, like with Showdown of the Skalds

So I don't think madness is a significant hurdle they had to overcome to make JSH.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Toshimo posted:

Yo, do you have a bot set up to generate wrong posts with this level of accuracy?

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/format-staples/legacy/full/spells
It's not in the top 50.

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013

HootTheOwl posted:

The mechanics that make up a madness card already existed on Arena, so it doesn't seem to be that complicated to me. To make madness you need to do 3 things:
First move the card into a different zone when it's discarded, like Nexus of Fate.
And finally allow the player to cast the spell from exile, like with Showdown of the Skalds

So I don't think madness is a significant hurdle they had to overcome to make JSH.

This is assuming a lot. It's very possible that the logic that they've coded for each of the scenarios that you've described were written in such a way that it would be incredibly hard to chain them into each other. We really can't assume that just because those cards work correctly from our perspective, madness would've been easy to put in. And look at MTGO, where you could potentially use the exact logical argument -- I think I've heard that implementing new cards on MTGO is actually done on a card-by-card basis, even if it's a reprint, which sounds like a nightmare

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

kurona_bright posted:

mandatory lesbian might've meant to say 'madness' instead of 'storm'. If that was the case, Mark talks about that decision here in a fair amount of detail in the Storm Scale article for Innistrad & Shadows: https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/making-magic/storm-scale-innistrad-and-shadows-over-innistrad-2017-03-27

His conclusion to that section is as follows:

A high rating on the storm scale doesn't mean the mechanic will never get reprinted, anyways. In the linked article, phasing is listed as a 9 on the scale.

storm was reprinted in modern horizons, but yes, if we're keeping it to standard sets, madness already being reprinted once pretty much lets you know they'll be okay with printing it again

and regardless, the storm scale is only maros opinion, it is not the whole designs teams philosophy. this is the more important point

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Reanimator. A deck as old as time.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

It not being in the top 50 spells of a format that encompasses almost all printed magic cards is not a good metric for determining something being playable or not in that format.

It not being played often doesn't mean it's unplayable.

Opinionated
May 29, 2002

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Yeah this isn’t past in flames. My guess is it’s an overpriced red enchantment that just gives flashback as a persistent effect

drat, thought I had the code cracked! Your guess seems way better.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

HootTheOwl posted:

Cool, so the running tally of poo poo you talk out of your rear end without understanding, just on this page, are:
  1. The rules of the game
  2. Software design
  3. The Legacy Format

Dig up, goon.

Madness works on a fundamentally different level than basically everything else, which is why MaRo correctly cites the rules and timing issues that are associated with it, which are a coding nightmare. There are a number of edge cases, in addition to all the normal ones, like Shadow of the Grave seeing the card as discarded, despite the fact that it came from the exile zone and would under any other rule than madness, be treated as a new discrete object. As a software dev, I know first-hand how gross trying to fit "almost the same" requirements into the same product is, and how little the customer seems to understand the intricacies therein.

Legacy, a boutique format at this point, has had exactly 2 major paper events in the last year, and the 1st place deck of one of those was Reanimator with a 4-pack of Faithless Looting. The largest digital event of the year, the MTGO Legacy Super Qualifier, similarly featured a Reanimator deck in Top 8 with a full complement. Your "but muh staples list" based on God-knows-what underlying data, probably a bunch of useless 8-man MODO queues or some poo poo, bears no relevance to actual major tournament finishes. Unplayable, my rear end.

I barely frequent this thread at this point, and posts like yours are a large reason why. You speak with unearned authority and confidence on things you don't understand.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Framboise posted:

It's not much consolation, but those fetches will be worth more later (unless WotC starts printing them more regularly, and if so, win/win.)
A friend who also bought a box from this case just informed me he opened 11 mythics and 3 fetches. At least one of us did well.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

storm was reprinted in modern horizons, but yes, if we're keeping it to standard sets, madness already being reprinted once pretty much lets you know they'll be okay with printing it again

and regardless, the storm scale is only maros opinion, it is not the whole designs teams philosophy. this is the more important point

The Storm Scale is specifically defined as the likelihood of a mechanic returning to standard, so yeah, it's important to qualify it as such. And, no, they cited at the time that reprinting Madness didn't go as well as hoped and was a possible reprint target, but still had hurdles. And that was before Arena, which is a defining piece when determining what to reprint.

And yes, the Storm Scale is usually presented by MaRo, but I wouldn't assume that officially published WotC content has him largely at odds with the team he's working on.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Toshimo posted:

Cool, so the running tally of poo poo you talk out of your rear end without understanding, just on this page, are:
  1. The rules of the game
  2. Software design
  3. The Legacy Format

I barely frequent this thread at this point, and posts like yours are a large reason why. You speak with unearned authority and confidence on things you don't understand.
Please don't tell my boss, I'll need to sell off more of my legacy staples if they fire me.

HootTheOwl fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Aug 31, 2021

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Toshimo posted:

your posts aren't making things better in any thread i see you in. take a break? relax? your posting feels like it's getting worse and worse due to all the mental stress people are under in general. i miss my happy BSG friend poster.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Werewolf MDFC + Transform cards where you can play either side to start and they transform from there. That's my bet!

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
https://twitter.com/JordanUhl/status/1432530618974412802?s=19

The only thing I immediately recognize in there is a bunch of alpha islands but that's already pretty pricey

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Welcome! I'm pretty sure there is or at least used to be a setting somewhere that let you bypass the tutorial and jump forward with all the free decks unlocked.

It gives you all the really basic monocolored decks but you still have to complete daily "color challenge" quests for the dual color ones that have some decent cards. It sounds like OP is running up against a bug -- there have been quite a few since the big patch last week.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Eej posted:

The only thing I immediately recognize in there is a bunch of alpha islands but that's already pretty pricey

He's got the Mishra's Factory seasonal cycle prints on his wall too.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

mcmagic posted:

Really? There hasn't been a really broken madness deck in like what?

It's because it's a pain in the rear end to include in a draft set. You gotta have like four times the discard as a cost or drawback as normal, to enable it. SOI has 24 cards that discard below rare. AFR has five.

Then you need to make stuff that works with this giant pile of discarding besides madness, because madness is mostly in grixis but you have 5 colors, but also you need this all to feel good like you get to have your cake and eat it too when you cast incorrigible youths off of the lightning axe discard.

But then you have to make sure that getting your cake and eating it too is just a strategy instead of the strategy, and discard as disruption has to still exist, and sets around the madness one need to help support madness in standard.

It's a lot to put into a set, and that is why it's high on the storm scale.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

mcmagic posted:

Really? There hasn't been a really broken madness deck in like what? 15 years?

Madness isn't broken; it's just hard to grok and has weird rules interactions.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Eej posted:

god drat

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

Another victim of TCG Players moronic card naming.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Gynovore posted:

Madness isn't broken; it's just hard to grok and has weird rules interactions.

That is fair but it's also a very fun mechanic for both limited and constructed.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Toshimo posted:

To my knowledge, they haven't had a Storm card in Standard since the Storm Scale got named. But, feel free to prove me wrong.

Storm was printed just not as a keyword with Thousand Year Storm

https://c1.scryfall.com/file/scryfall-cards/large/front/2/7/270a0863-7d07-43f0-925d-a8ce0383a1cb.jpg

I guess that's instant or sorcery only

ilmucche fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Aug 31, 2021

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

What's an uncut Beta commons sheet worth? 10k? 50?

pokecapn
Oct 17, 2003

yeah, galo sengen

That’s not storm. Storm count goes off of all spell types and all players.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

pokecapn posted:

That’s not storm. Storm count goes off of all spell types and all players.

Yeah just edited my post, realized that. Oops

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

mcmagic posted:

Is there a better feeling than spell piercing a T2 Tibalt's Trickery on the draw? I defy anyone to name one.

Having basically zero outs, playing a doom foretold and your opponent just scooping right there.

Just playing doom foretold at all, really.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

they literally brought back storm once

like maro isnt the only designer the storm scale is just his opinion, not the whole teams

I know it's all arbitrary but the stom scale only applies to standard legal sets so cards like weather the storm don't count.

Madness was an 8 on the scale before it was reprinted in soi block because it was considered a perfect fit for the emrakul is making everyone go insane vibe they wanted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

HootTheOwl posted:

Banned in Modern and unplayed in legacy Fiathless Looting is not a tournament card. :colbert:

you have centralized the bad posting metagame. we used to have a diverse roster of really bad posters itt, from mcmagic to Sickening, but now it's basically all hoot all the time.