Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Christ I wish there was a respec option that didn't require grinding mats. Maybe right click to buy\sell. That's it, that's all I want in this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

There’s a respec option that involves grinding mats? I thought you only get 3 per character, one per difficulty from Ashara and that’s it

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

bawfuls posted:

There’s a respec option that involves grinding mats? I thought you only get 3 per character, one per difficulty from Ashara and that’s it

You can farm mats off bosses too

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

bawfuls posted:

https://diablo2.diablowiki.net/Respecialization

Yea it's new to me too!

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

bawfuls posted:

Might as well want a completely new game!!! It'd completely RUIN Diablo 2! Dumbing the game down for these casual kiddies is the lowest form of pandering and Blizzard shouldn't give in to the howling masses.

Honestly, I was a ton less enthusiastic about the game after playing the beta. Learning about the removal of TCP/IP didn't help either. I'll play it again during the open beta but after that I think I'll wait for it to (never) go on sale and maybe get it cheap. This is the worst kind of remake where it remakes everything without changing the stuff that wasn't good to begin with. It's such a disappointment since they snatched up the Tony Hawk Pro Skater 1 + 2 Remake studio to work on this and that game was a perfect remake.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I made a diablo goon discord awhile ago.
https://discord.gg/wVCstGq

I plan to play this new median xl ladder before resurrected figures out when their ladder will begin.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

D2:R is basically perfect for me. If they iron out the bugs and fix the latency, probably with East Coast servers, it will be a perfect $40 spent on a lot of gametime.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
Not having infinite respecs is fine, but d2 does have infinite respecs now unless you play classic which is limited to 3. D2 is designed to be played through over and over. 3 respecs is plenty and the optional grind is there in case you want minor stat changes for the perfect pvp build or you decided to completely change your sorc skill tree or something.

If you dream up a new build then make a character and do it. You're not supposed to respec from cold to lit to fire depending on the area you're farming in D2. It's designed more around a journey with a build/gear set you've chosen. Respecs were added much later as a convenience and the system they have works well because it stops constant respecs depending on content/mob you're facing.

I'm not in the "no changes" crew. I'm all for making big qol changes and having d2r diverge from old d2. I just don't see how yes/no respecs would make the game better when in many ways they'd make it worse. D3 doesn't have even yes/no respecs because of how much your gear is your character & you can't respec your gear. Heck, it takes longer in d3 to respec if you view it that way.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Aug 16, 2021

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
Got a sorc to 22 and decided not to engage in Tal runs to finish it up (honestly the worst part of the leveling experience of d2 for me). Started a paladin and tried out the controller scheme and I enjoyed it quite a bit. Auto targeting works fine for skills and running around felt good. The fact that controllers get immediate hotkeys is quite interesting, compared to the legacy format of pc controls where you hotkey an ability and then press m2 to activate it. Not a bad way to play D2.

Do I wish that they incorporated more updates into D2:R? Yeah. But I also understand that this was very much in the vain of the starcraft remaster where they are trying to release a very specific product to a kind of niche audience. It holds up, and ideally D4 will be the iteration where we see actual progress on mechanics.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
2 words charms inventory. nuff said

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
Charm inventory, assuming it disables charms in your regular inventory, is basically the same as not having charms. The trade-off is stats vs inventory space, without that trade-off you might as well just give characters free stats?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Two QoL things they should do with this which they probably won't:

1) Some improvement to finding games. Maybe just adding a search and filter function to the lobby would be enough. And allow you to search/see lower difficulty games even after you've advanced to nightmare/hell.

2) Reduce trade friction via game-linked website ala PoE or PD2. Obviously don't need to open the auction house can of worms, but just adding a filterable searchable index where people can list items and requested prices would improve the experience immensely and keep some segment of the player base away from 3rd party stuff like d2jsp

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Aug 16, 2021

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN

Phosphine posted:

Charm inventory, assuming it disables charms in your regular inventory, is basically the same as not having charms. The trade-off is stats vs inventory space, without that trade-off you might as well just give characters free stats?

drat, you're right. they should just give you a 4x3 inventory and remove charms altogether

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Smythe posted:

2 words charms inventory. nuff said
I support this. There's no actual choice. You fill your entire inventory except for one armor-sized slot with charms. If you're in single player you can arguably save a cube sized spot instead or no sized spot and then save & exit with the item on your cursor. None of this presents a meaningful decision to the player. Weighting which charms to keep or which to not use still happens with a dedicated charm inventory.

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
Or you can carry less charms.

But people want numbers to go up so they refuse to drop something for slightly more space.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
does Resurrected still have the Amazon Fend and block duration bugs?

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Audax posted:

Or you can carry less charms.

But people want numbers to go up so they refuse to drop something for slightly more space.
Why though? You don't need more space.

gradenko_2000 posted:

does Resurrected still have the Amazon Fend and block duration bugs?
Probably. It sounds like they introduced new bugs in the netcode too from people talking about rubberbanding.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

Khorne posted:

Why though? You don't need more space.

Probably. It sounds like they introduced new bugs in the netcode too from people talking about rubberbanding.

The rubber banding to me is most likely due to it being a beta. My ping time was always over 100 and I'm in the Midwest.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I kinda wish they released this seasonly with different patches. Going back to unlimited skellies or a 5 minute zeal animation lock would be hilarious. There were some amazingly broken things back in the day I'd love to experience again

Khorne
May 1, 2002

George H.W. oval office posted:

I kinda wish they released this seasonly with different patches. Going back to unlimited skellies or a 5 minute zeal animation lock would be hilarious. There were some amazingly broken things back in the day I'd love to experience again
You couldn't even buy potions near launch.

Although you could gamble uniques at an extremely high rate.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Open beta runs well and looks incredible. I am so stoked for D2R.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

man controller supper is loving smooth as hell, this is amazing.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

queeb posted:

man controller supper is loving smooth as hell, this is amazing.

Agreed 100%. It makes me wish they’d put controller support into D3 for the PC.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
I'd bet that the reason TCP/IP is gone is that it would let people install on several computers and then play with just one license, like you can now. We're in the future, and we can't have that. Any eventual downside for mods this might have is irrelevant in the face of "someone might play our game without us knowing/getting paid".

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Is there another thread for D2R? I'm surprised this one isn't more popping with the beta live.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Phosphine posted:

I'd bet that the reason TCP/IP is gone is that it would let people install on several computers and then play with just one license, like you can now. We're in the future, and we can't have that. Any eventual downside for mods this might have is irrelevant in the face of "someone might play our game without us knowing/getting paid".

it's probably because it makes it much harder to hack

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

coelomate posted:

Is there another thread for D2R? I'm surprised this one isn't more popping with the beta live.

I think it was decided that we're going to get one when it's much closer to a live release, but it's not like the thread has been getting inundated with non-Resurrected posting that you couldn't do it here for now

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
It has been confirmed by a news site that D2:R will have ladder runewords available in non-ladder game modes

They got a lot more to answer for and I don't think they can address everything else before launch, but at least it's something.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

WITCHCRAFT posted:

It has been confirmed by a news site that D2:R will have ladder runewords available in non-ladder game modes

They got a lot more to answer for and I don't think they can address everything else before launch, but at least it's something.

on the one hand lol that they're almost up to the functionality of plugy

on the other hand, updating the base game to the functionality of plug would legit be a huge improvement and unironically almost a best case scenario

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

coelomate posted:

D3 thread has a lot of discussion on it as well.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

coelomate posted:

I'll get around to it when it's closer to release

Personal Lucubrant
Oct 18, 2016

Just thinking about what to do with all the money I don't have.
The YouTube algorithm gave me this laugh, so now I give it to you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVeXFIp7sdA

After all these years it really is the same game :allears:

Personal Lucubrant fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Aug 22, 2021

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pep2QaHORBQ

LordOfTheNoobs
Sep 7, 2009

So Median XL 2.0 is coming out today, and I never really tried it before. Would there be people willing to play with me on this?

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Yesssss I will be on in a couple hours to play median. However, I will be playing hardcore, so... you might not want to join me, lol.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

So what class will people start D2R with?

Sorc for teleport is the obvious choice. I'm practicing the "try hard" nova/static build for normal, and having more fun with it than I expected given all the potion chugging.

I'm seriously tempted by an elemental druid though. I played through Act 2 with fissure during the open beta and it was really fun, respeccing to wind would be great, but then no teleport... it's just hard to pass on starting with a sorc.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
I've always wanted to make a Spearzon. My head says just play a barb but the heart wants what it wants.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Whatever I go, it'll be hardcore, and I'll more than likely die in maggot lair stupidly

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I'm probably going to do a Summoner Druid or a Summoner Necro because it's largely gear-independent, and then build up the shared stash's goodies to pave the way for a Paladin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khorne
May 1, 2002

coelomate posted:

So what class will people start D2R with?
Sorc+Barb (for bo and occasional find item) on 2 accounts. Debating third account for pally or second sorc. Might not buy d2r even though it looks reasonable.

My not-asked-for feedback on your plan is if you are going to play >1player don't bother with nova or frozen orb. They are for solo speed run strats where you're under leveled and don't hold up in larger games.

8p speed runs have lots of good reset builds for people who plan on playing with others. I'd be a bit wary of the teleport or static builds (obviously get 1 point of each no matter what), because when you play with randoms or your friends who aren't good you're going to feel really weak & you aren't going to get through hell and do ubers in 3:30 like in that video. People aren't going to feed you items, people will logout or you'll take a break, etc. The non-sorc builds are good.

Starting fireball and respecing into blizzard+ice blast + frost mastery with later points dumped into shared synergies with those two first will 100% carry even the worst groups, is fairly straightforward to play, and isn't as hungry for mana pots. They also both scale really well with early items or outright don't need them in the case of blizzard once you're in your early-mid 30s. Ice blast also makes playing blizzard not boring & greatly increases kill speed.

I learned a lot of these lessons by wasting lots of time with "reset teams" over and over again. Most people are going to go with bad classes/builds and be really useless near reset. Another thing people will do is try to skip too far ahead too fast and waste a lot of time dying.

If you plan on soloing then yeah go for the solo speed run build like you planned. It's reasonable.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Aug 31, 2021