Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Looked this up, absolutly gobsmacked what I found it's a 4000 dollar option?!?!

I know it's been noted before but it's insane when cheaper shitboxes are getting the various google/apple poo poo for free - as well as ACC and stuff like blindspot protection - for free and you have to pay a gazillion on more luxury cars to get it.

It makes sense when your target demographic has so much money it's basically impossible to rip them off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

There's also the fact that you're going to sell literally 1000x fewer of them to offset the fixed costs.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

All I can think of when I see this is that Hyundai just reinvented the Explorer Sport Trac

https://twitter.com/dsgolson/status/1432398124429971456?s=21

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

KillHour posted:

There's also the fact that you're going to sell literally 1000x fewer of them to offset the fixed costs.

Ferrari being owned by Stellanis and being a parts binner means they dont have that excuse. Also see : Lambo, Audi, BMW, Bentley, Porsche, Rolls Royce et all, being part of much larger groups where they can parts bin from pretty much anywhere. Hell, EBay has basic stuff that will CarPlay or Android whatever.

Just loving nuts I could get a basic shitter Subaru with ACC, Carplay and all of sorts of stuff standard that in some prestige car makers ... would add up to the cost of the Subaru -_-

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Godzilla07 posted:

All I can think of when I see this is that Hyundai just reinvented the Explorer Sport Trac

lol holy gently caress

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Ferrari being owned by Stellanis and being a parts binner means they dont have that excuse. Also see : Lambo, Audi, BMW, Bentley, Porsche, Rolls Royce et all, being part of much larger groups where they can parts bin from pretty much anywhere. Hell, EBay has basic stuff that will CarPlay or Android whatever.

Just loving nuts I could get a basic shitter Subaru with ACC, Carplay and all of sorts of stuff standard that in some prestige car makers ... would add up to the cost of the Subaru -_-

https://www.apex.one/articles/mygig-the-story-of-an-infotainment-system/

That’s an older story but surely today it’s not like the OEM’s are actually doing much of the development anyway, it’ll all be suppliers.

Worth noting that there are no licensing fees for CarPlay or Android Auto.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Godzilla07 posted:

The Maverick is looking waaaay better than that, geezus

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Looked this up, absolutly gobsmacked what I found it's a 4000 dollar option?!?!

I know it's been noted before but it's insane when cheaper shitboxes are getting the various google/apple poo poo for free - as well as ACC and stuff like blindspot protection - for free and you have to pay a gazillion on more luxury cars to get it.

Luxury car makers get away with it because they know they can get away with it, just like most cheap hotels give away wifi for free but expensive hotels charge for it.

Godzilla07 posted:

That's ... a lot bigger than I thought it would be. Especially in the comparison shots with the modern Tacoma that's posted down the twitter thread.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

things are priced on the buyer's willingness to pay, not what they cost

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Yeah honestly I don't see why a normal person would even care. It's not like any of us are going to be buying a new Ferrari anytime soon, and if we are we can certainly afford the cost of overpriced options. gently caress the rich, let them pay extra for what we get for "free".

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
The Santa Cruz I saw didn't seem out of line big to me, I walked by one the other night. It is tall, but so is everything now. :shrug:

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

It's just a Tuscon, idk why anyone had trouble imagining how big the SC is.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Charles posted:

The Santa Cruz I saw didn't seem out of line big to me, I walked by one the other night. It is tall, but so is everything now. :shrug:

It is taller than the Explorer but the angle of the shot is making it look a little bigger than it is.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Neo_Crimson posted:

It is taller than the Explorer but the angle of the shot is making it look a little bigger than it is.

It’s 3+ inches shorter than the current Explorer in height.

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

hey I saw a 2021 Kia Telluride on the road today and what The hell did they do to their emblem

https://twitter.com/kia/status/1432434208396529673?s=21

I was so confused what “KN” could be but then I saw the name

e/ another emblem gripe - why does Cadillac scale their little shield relative to the size of the car? it’s minuscule on the back of a CT4 but huge on an Escalade

it’s silly

wolfs fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Aug 31, 2021

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Deliveries for the '22 BRZ started this week in Japan.

One tuner already put one on a dyno:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVBOOvYds7E

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

wolfs posted:

hey I saw a 2021 Kia Telluride on the road today and what The hell did they do to their emblem

What are you talking about? Clearly it says КИ. :v:

As far as I understand it, the pronunciation isn't that far off albeit incomplete. (It would be pronounced like "key" though anyone more familiar can school me.)

I have no idea if Kia has a presence in Eastern Europe or if they thought through how the new emblem would be perceived in other markets but at least it's not being completely butchered.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

wolfs posted:

e/ another emblem gripe - why does Cadillac scale their little shield relative to the size of the car? it’s minuscule on the back of a CT4 but huge on an Escalade

it’s silly

Goddammit just use the KDM emblems.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Symetrique posted:

215ish hp at the rear hubs is...pretty good!

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

Yeah honestly I don't see why a normal person would even care. It's not like any of us are going to be buying a new Ferrari anytime soon, and if we are we can certainly afford the cost of overpriced options. gently caress the rich, let them pay extra for what we get for "free".

Fwiw the Ferrari dealer told me only a minority get Carplay (30% or so)

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

got off on a technicality posted:

Cruise control for $1,500 says hold my beer

On the new Maverick it's over $2k

Most cheaper cars won't outright charge you a bunch of money for it, they'll just make sure you have to go up a trim level to get it.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

BraveUlysses posted:

215ish hp at the rear hubs is...pretty good!

For sure, that’s excellent, and indicates just 10% driveline loss…if it’s accurate. Can’t put too much weight on a single dyno number because it might not be calibrated right or just reads high, like Motortrend did with the C8.

In any case, the new 86 twins look great and seem to have improved everything about the old ones while ruining nothing.

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?

i own every Bionicle posted:

For sure, that’s excellent, and indicates just 10% driveline loss…if it’s accurate. Can’t put too much weight on a single dyno number because it might not be calibrated right or just reads high, like Motortrend did with the C8.

In any case, the new 86 twins look great and seem to have improved everything about the old ones while ruining nothing.

I thought they were rated for 225bhp? This would indicate it’s slightly underrated, no?

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Fwiw the Ferrari dealer told me only a minority get Carplay (30% or so)

Like, if you are only going to put 3000 (nice weather, cruising) miles a year on it then yeah, you probably want to listen to the engine and already know where you are going.

edit: LOL, who am I kidding? It's because the people buying Ferrari's in the US are old and can't figure out their phones, much less car play.

Murgos fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Aug 31, 2021

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Wonderllama posted:

I thought they were rated for 225bhp? This would indicate it’s slightly underrated, no?

Oh you’re right, I thought it was 240 for some reason. Yes it would mean it’s underrated…if the dyno is accurate.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Ferrari being owned by Stellanis and being a parts binner means they dont have that excuse.

Didn't Sergio spin them off into their own independent company before he passed?

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

PeterWeller posted:

Didn't Sergio spin them off into their own independent company before he passed?

AFAIK there is no direct control between Ferrari and Stellantis but there is a good deal of overlap in the shareholder base. 80% of Ferrari shares were distributed to FCA shareholders at the time of the IPO, and Exor NV (a holding company controlled by the Agnelli family) owns about ~a quarter of Ferrari with ~a third of the voting rights. Exor also holds ~14% of Stellantis, and Sergio, before he passed, was Vice Chairman at Exor. So one could imagine cooperation between the two entities etc etc

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Cruise control for $1,500 says hold my beer

You mean it's not a subscription?

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Ferrari has not been owned by FCA / Stellanis since 2016. It's owned by separate holding company with their own interests (protecting the brand, brand lifestyle, F1, theme parks etc)

They have no parts bin to rummage through, just to buy whatever other OEMs do or develop their own.

e; fb by better posts

Kivi fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Aug 31, 2021

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Gangringo posted:

On the new Maverick it's over $2k

Most cheaper cars won't outright charge you a bunch of money for it, they'll just make sure you have to go up a trim level to get it.

That's changing quickly though. Market dependent of course but in NZ Toyota has radar cruise across most of the range even the basic plastic hubcap Yaris.

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

trouser chili posted:

You mean it's not a subscription?
:mrwhite:

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Can someone tell me what doing this to your rear wheels accomplishes?

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Shoulder wear.

heffray
Sep 18, 2010

The car has been lowered a bunch, that's the point. The rear tires pick up a lot of camber (number of degrees off from vertical) as the suspension compresses, where the fronts stay closer to vertical due to different suspension design. Adding more (negative, top of tire moved toward the car centerline) camber can also help the wheel & tire clear the fender lip.

In normal settings, the steeper camber curve from double wishbone designs results in a better handling car and better grip in turns: this is the reason the Miata and 1988-2000 Civics were so much better than their peers, but struts take up less space and are cheaper. Most cars have struts in the front for cost/space reasons.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Those wheels are just scared of thunderstorms and the fender arches are a nice safe place to hide.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Oh you’re right, I thought it was 240 for some reason. Yes it would mean it’s underrated…if the dyno is accurate.

Another dyno video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5H-gzIIGdiI
221.44 ps @ 6769 rpm at the rear hub. Promising numbers.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

It's finally going to catch that rascally Miata

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

heffray posted:

The car has been lowered a bunch, that's the point. The rear tires pick up a lot of camber (number of degrees off from vertical) as the suspension compresses, where the fronts stay closer to vertical due to different suspension design. Adding more (negative, top of tire moved toward the car centerline) camber can also help the wheel & tire clear the fender lip.

In normal settings, the steeper camber curve from double wishbone designs results in a better handling car and better grip in turns: this is the reason the Miata and 1988-2000 Civics were so much better than their peers, but struts take up less space and are cheaper. Most cars have struts in the front for cost/space reasons.

I'm sorry I'm confused: are you saying the car in that picture is good?

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Are you saying it's not? Look at the squat from all the downforce that wing is creating!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Symetrique posted:

The scale on the torque graph make the torque dip look massive.

It seemed from the press videos there was a model of the Toyota GR86 without the Subaru Eyesight system. My question is there a BRZ trim that doesn't have it either?

Coredump fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Sep 1, 2021