Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Figurant
Mar 16, 2005

orange juche posted:

I'm trying to remember all the crap I forgot about XI, finally got around to sitting down and grinding out some levels and unlocked trusts, is the Shantotto trust still available or is it gone? If I don't have anything unlocked towards getting the Shantotto trust other than doing the quest in Windurst to unlock the first trust, how long am I looking at to be able to get that particular trust?

Shantotto 1 is always available, just need to collect some prerequistie trusts and do a quest for her. But nobody really cares about that Shantotto trust.

Shantotto 2 is available from this month's login campaign for 300.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Shantotto 1 is always available, Shantotto II (the good one) comes and goes with campaigns. She is available now, though. Speak to a Greeter Moogle, buy her Cipher for 300 points and trade it in.

e: lol I did not refresh

There's also Domina Shantotto for 100 points but I can't remember if she has any use other than filling out trusts for getting the boost for having lots

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I also discovered that Trusts don't really work with spellcasters unless you pull out your weapon and give the enemy a whack, they'll stand there dumb as posts until that happens. The last time I played XI though Trusts didn't even exist as a thing though and people were shouting in town for Valkurm Dunes crab farming parties.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

You you have to bonk something, and also don't disengage because they'll just stop what they're doing (though they won't drop enmity).

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

orange juche posted:

I found out that there are apparently successful private servers for XI, neat trip down memory lane a bit since I installed a server that is permanently on Wings of the Goddess expansion, if a little barren because private servers and hell the main servers nowadays don't really have any population to speak of. Was a neat way to waste like an hour or 2 outside of Bastok without having to try to figure out how to set up playonline or anything. Kinda miss the POL music though.

I've been playing on Wings for the past few months and loving it.

It has some of the end game content with plans to put out more in the future (Dynamis just got released and hopefully Sea comes out soon.)

For me it has hit the sweet spot of enough players were the game world still feels full (Around 700 players during NA evenings) but small enough where things aren't priced way out of ever being able to get them / every NM has 10 people camping it. (LL usually has 1-5 people at any given time.)

Plus fun stuff I didn't get to experience like FOV books and such. Definitely scratching an itch I didn't know I was missing for a while.

Also to add to an earlier post, I knew I was hooked as soon as I took my first trip from Mhuara to Selina. So much nostalgia. Though the sea horror didn't even pop.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Oh my god Shantotto II is fully stupid.

She's just a complete monster.
Lol "Lesson in Pain" good lord what a monster Trust.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Aug 15, 2021

Sintor
Jul 23, 2007

orange juche posted:

Oh my god Shantotto II is fully stupid.

She's just a complete monster.
Lol "Lesson in Pain" good lord what a monster Trust.

She's insane by comparison even to the other casters because she uses level one spells and never runs out of mana, but they hit just as hard. Not to mention massive skill chain damage.

Friend and I played a lot during last year but hit this odd wall of not knowing how to really push farther into content. The big wiki guide is helpful but I feel like there's a gap somewhere around needing Rema or just what you can accomplish in ambuscade only. Tried some of the upgrade path for AF but didn't quite get it. Can't solo the last area NMs, can't reloably do the fight for malignant set on hard, etc. Also rolled on bahamut but thinking maybe more activity on asura? Back when we started people said the farmers and bots were so bad you couldn't xp on the plus weeks etc.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
Picked this up cause it was on sale, what job is the easiest for me to run through the story as fast as possible before they shut this down?

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Sintor posted:

She's insane by comparison even to the other casters because she uses level one spells and never runs out of mana, but they hit just as hard. Not to mention massive skill chain damage.

Friend and I played a lot during last year but hit this odd wall of not knowing how to really push farther into content. The big wiki guide is helpful but I feel like there's a gap somewhere around needing Rema or just what you can accomplish in ambuscade only. Tried some of the upgrade path for AF but didn't quite get it. Can't solo the last area NMs, can't reloably do the fight for malignant set on hard, etc. Also rolled on bahamut but thinking maybe more activity on asura? Back when we started people said the farmers and bots were so bad you couldn't xp on the plus weeks etc.

Use the guide I wrote specifically to counter this problem:

https://www.bg-wiki.com/ffxi/Endgame_Progression_Guide

Unless that was the guide you meant, in which case oops

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Senator Drinksalot posted:

Picked this up cause it was on sale, what job is the easiest for me to run through the story as fast as possible before they shut this down?

lol it's not shutting down any time soon so whatever you want

Warrior's probably easiest though

Sintor
Jul 23, 2007

CodfishCartographer posted:

Use the guide I wrote specifically to counter this problem:

https://www.bg-wiki.com/ffxi/Endgame_Progression_Guide

Unless that was the guide you meant, in which case oops

Cool, thanks! This looks way more in depth and goes farther than what I saw previously. We played for about six months very early in the pandemic, I think the farthest guide was like the 119 Quickstart and it vomited all the endgame activities at you. Lot of YouTube content was "ambuscade carries all new people just do that."

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Sintor posted:

Cool, thanks! This looks way more in depth and goes farther than what I saw previously. We played for about six months very early in the pandemic, I think the farthest guide was like the 119 Quickstart and it vomited all the endgame activities at you. Lot of YouTube content was "ambuscade carries all new people just do that."

Yeah there are gently caress all for really new-player-friendly guides once you hit the endgame, so I wrote that one as a way to ease players from fresh endgame all the way to the best of the best gear.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care

kirbysuperstar posted:

lol it's not shutting down any time soon so whatever you want

Warrior's probably easiest though

I thought they said support would end after the 20th anniversary?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

I don't think so, OP

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012
No reason to end a game that has a handful of devs working on it at most but still makes hundreds of thousands a month.

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

Paint Crop Pro posted:

I've been playing on Wings for the past few months and loving it.

It has some of the end game content with plans to put out more in the future (Dynamis just got released and hopefully Sea comes out soon.)

For me it has hit the sweet spot of enough players were the game world still feels full (Around 700 players during NA evenings) but small enough where things aren't priced way out of ever being able to get them / every NM has 10 people camping it. (LL usually has 1-5 people at any given time.)

Plus fun stuff I didn't get to experience like FOV books and such. Definitely scratching an itch I didn't know I was missing for a while.

Also to add to an earlier post, I knew I was hooked as soon as I took my first trip from Mhuara to Selina. So much nostalgia. Though the sea horror didn't even pop.

Eden just got Ballista :smug:

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

The only thing I can find even remotely related to this is that during Squeenix's yearly budgeting in 2019 FFXI was approved for three years of funding, until 2022. No decision has been made for after that point but I suspect it will continue to receive funding unless it suffers a drastic population drop-off

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Carmant posted:

Eden just got Ballista :smug:

Ballista was only good for the item that reset all timers including your 2h

Koala Cola
Dec 21, 2005

I am the stone that the builder refused...
Welp, decided to try this game again since I just got a new PC after only having a Mac for years and missed Return to Vanadiel by... 13 hours?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Yep just ended though the Ultimate Seekers Edition of the game client is still on sale for 10 bucks if you're so inclined.

Koala Cola
Dec 21, 2005

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Yep just ended though the Ultimate Seekers Edition of the game client is still on sale for 10 bucks if you're so inclined.

Isnt the game free? I downloaded everything off their website

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Apparition posted:

Isnt the game free? I downloaded everything off their website

Free to download and install. You have to purchase access to the game's content to add to your service account. There is a 14 day trial for new accounts, but after that you're expected to own the game and it's expansions, addons, etc. on top of a monthly sub. Private servers however are free, but they have their own methods to install the client.

Edit: Don't think the game even lets you patch it up without an active service account if memory serves.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Aug 24, 2021

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Edit: Don't think the game even lets you patch it up without an active service account if memory serves.

There's a weird way to make it do it by replacing some files but generally yeah

Koala Cola
Dec 21, 2005

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Free to download and install. You have to purchase access to the game's content to add to your service account. There is a 14 day trial for new accounts, but after that you're expected to own the game and it's expansions, addons, etc. on top of a monthly sub. Private servers however are free, but they have their own methods to install the client.

How far can you go with the free content?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Apparition posted:

How far can you go with the free content?

Looking at the restrictions, just the initial zones of the game's release.

quote:

Please note the free trial version of the game have the following restrictions using the free trial accounts.

1) Free trial period - Free trial players will be able to play for free for 14 days and will be marked with a beginner’s icon.

2) Character creation limit - Free trial players will be able to create up to 3 characters per account.

3) Level 50 cap - Free trial players will be able to level their characters up to level 50.

Once level 50 is reached, a character’s levels will not increase even if experience points are gained. However, players will still be able to participate in events and quests.

4) Area restrictions - Free trial players will only be able to access areas included in the initial FINAL FANTASY® XI release (not including any expansion areas).

5) Auction usage - Free trial players will not be able to place items up for auction, place bids on auctions, or view other players’ items up for auction

6) Gil limit - Free trial players can earn up to a maximum of 100,000 gil.

Any gil earned beyond that will not be accounted for.

7) Trading and bazaar - Free trial players will not be able to trade items with other players or use the bazaar feature to buy or sell items.

8) Party Invitations - Free trial players will not be able to invite other players to a party

However, free trial players are able to join parties when they are invited.

9) Mog House Delivery Box - Free trial players will not be able to use the Mog House Delivery Box feature.

10) Tell/shout/yell - Free trial players will not be able to use the /tell, /shout, or /yell chat features.

However, they will be able to reply to /tell messages from party members and other players.

11) World Transfer Service - Free trial accounts cannot use the World Transfer Service.

12) Mentor - Free trial characters are not able to become mentors (even if they fulfill the requirements of reaching level 30 and playing for over 180 hours).

13) Unity Concord - Free trial account holders will not be able to take part in “Unity Concord.”

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Aug 25, 2021

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

never met a game that wants to play hard to get like this one jfc

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

There was a recent interview where Square said they will never shut the game down since it's a numbered entry. Plus the game is still profitable according to them. And from my observations and talking with other players is still relatively active and not declining.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Badger of Basra posted:

never met a game that wants to play hard to get like this one jfc

Those restrictions are because rmt exploited new accounts for massive amounts of gil

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

punk rebel ecks posted:

There was a recent interview where Square said they will never shut the game down since it's a numbered entry. Plus the game is still profitable according to them. And from my observations and talking with other players is still relatively active and not declining.

Relatively active is putting it lightly. With over 106k active characters, the game is easily making over 1 million USD a month. FFXI isn't going away anytime soon.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I hope FFXI, if it ever gets shut down, is converted into a wholly single-player game. With trusts it’s already almost there. Add in some “buy anything” vendors for random quest items or special armor/weapons you’d normally need to buy off the AH, have a 10,000 slot storage, and it could be a very chill time.

FF14 and FF11 probably won’t ever shut down because of how much money and content they make (and their legacy at this point).

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

jokes posted:

I hope FFXI, if it ever gets shut down, is converted into a wholly single-player game. With trusts it’s already almost there. Add in some “buy anything” vendors for random quest items or special armor/weapons you’d normally need to buy off the AH, have a 10,000 slot storage, and it could be a very chill time.

FF14 and FF11 probably won’t ever shut down because of how much money and content they make (and their legacy at this point).

Square's DQX team is doing precisely this in a fashion. They're putting out Dragon Quest X Offline sometime next year. Obviously making concessions to make it work for an offline existence. So the precedence is already there if the FFXI team will follow suit later on.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

DQXI Offline is a very different game to actual DQXI though, it's more like they're..adapting it.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

i decided to try this game for the first time. i was really enjoying my time with it. then i hit level 60 and lb3 is a brick wall i keep bashing my head against.

It is a brick wall and seems impossible to do solo, specifically the yagudo crest section. Am I missing something? Once I get all three passwords, which takes like 30 minutes alone, and get past the combination door all the enemies are at my level or higher. When I have to light the torches, each room has 2 or 3 yagudo inside and I can't activate them invis. The moment I cancel the invis I'm aggroed and even with 4 trusts i tend to end up dead.

Is there, like, a technical reason they haven't gotten rid of any of this stuff? Does the fanbase love it or something? This kind of bullshit is usually the first stuff to go after an MMO is a few years old, let alone 20.

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
I think they basically updated a bunch of zones to have higher level mobs than they initially had got some reason, I don’t remember what, and didn’t adjust the low level quests that go to those zones. That’s why you see level 70 mobs in a low level dungeon sometimes. Did you wiki it for any tips?

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
That one is a huge pain in the rear end, yes. In the past I remember doing it solo by being very careful not to drop Invis when in line of sight of the Yags to activate the torches (Spectral Jig is good for stuff like this), and also having Re-Raise (from a scroll if you don't have appropriate job for this) active so if I did aggro them I could run behind the last door and just die then accept the Raise after they were gone. But then you have to deal with even higher level True Sight mob where the ??? is in the floor below.

My suggestion would be to enlist the help of higher level players to kill everything in your way and save yourself the aggravation.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Ort posted:

I think they basically updated a bunch of zones to have higher level mobs than they initially had got some reason, I don’t remember what, and didn’t adjust the low level quests that go to those zones. That’s why you see level 70 mobs in a low level dungeon sometimes. Did you wiki it for any tips?

Yeah, I've been following some wiki guides on the quest and they all treat these like they're no big deal :shrug: I'll try to get some higher level players like WarMECH suggests. I was really enjoying the game until this moment.

I'm a summoner so I'm also pretty fragile once I am attacked.

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
Last time I played I started as BST and subbed /DNC as soon as I could, it was good for Spectral Jig and also sending a Jug Pet to attack/distract mobs while I ran towards quest objectives. Not sure if SMN could do something similar with Carby?

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Ort posted:

Nah that area ALWAYS had those mobs in them. For a while the limit break quests were intentionally VERY difficult, to try to make clearing them a sort of rite of passage. Many of them have been made significantly easier over the years, but this one hasn't really.

Sankis posted:

Yeah, I've been following some wiki guides on the quest and they all treat these like they're no big deal :shrug: I'll try to get some higher level players like WarMECH suggests. I was really enjoying the game until this moment.

I'm a summoner so I'm also pretty fragile once I am attacked.

As mentioned, be very careful about aggro. Yagudo aggro by sight, and this works like metal gear solid guards - it the enemy is facing away from you, you can literally stand right behind them without getting aggro. Soon as they turn to face you, though, you're vulnerable. Obviously this probably won't help for hitting all of the switches, but it could be useful.

Another thing you can try is to actually kill the mobs with trusts. They should be weak enough to pick off one at a time, and their respawn time is fairly long. Just be careful to only grab one at a time - Yagudo also link via sight. So if one sees another Yagudo that's aggroed, then it will join in attacking the same target. If you're too squishy to pull one to a safe location to fight and engage to get your trusts on it, then you can use Carbuncle to pull for you - again, just be sure you're only pulling one at a time.

As for why everyone treats it like it's no big deal, it's unfortunately a bad habit with guides for this game. They're mostly written by people who have been playing for literal decades and have zero ability to imagine how the game plays for a new player.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

CodfishCartographer posted:

Nah that area ALWAYS had those mobs in them. For a while the limit break quests were intentionally VERY difficult, to try to make clearing them a sort of rite of passage. Many of them have been made significantly easier over the years, but this one hasn't really.

As mentioned, be very careful about aggro. Yagudo aggro by sight, and this works like metal gear solid guards - it the enemy is facing away from you, you can literally stand right behind them without getting aggro. Soon as they turn to face you, though, you're vulnerable. Obviously this probably won't help for hitting all of the switches, but it could be useful.

Another thing you can try is to actually kill the mobs with trusts. They should be weak enough to pick off one at a time, and their respawn time is fairly long. Just be careful to only grab one at a time - Yagudo also link via sight. So if one sees another Yagudo that's aggroed, then it will join in attacking the same target. If you're too squishy to pull one to a safe location to fight and engage to get your trusts on it, then you can use Carbuncle to pull for you - again, just be sure you're only pulling one at a time.

As for why everyone treats it like it's no big deal, it's unfortunately a bad habit with guides for this game. They're mostly written by people who have been playing for literal decades and have zero ability to imagine how the game plays for a new player.

I'm actually genuinely surprised they still haven't added some sort of aggro tutorial and/or indicators to the game to explain at least some of this. It's one of the things that's definitely not intuitive (why does this lizard aggro but not this one?), has weird, long abandoned subsystems (deodorize/track by scent), and will absolutely get you killed constantly if you don't understand it fully.

Even some flavored log message would go a long way to explain what's going on to new players so they can try to troubleshoot what they're doing wrong. "The Quadav hears your footsteps", "the yagudo joins their cohort", "the earth elemental senses your spellcasting", "the truesight NM sees through your ruse", etc etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

pretty soft girl posted:

I'm actually genuinely surprised they still haven't added some sort of aggro tutorial and/or indicators to the game to explain at least some of this. It's one of the things that's definitely not intuitive (why does this lizard aggro but not this one?), has weird, long abandoned subsystems (deodorize/track by scent), and will absolutely get you killed constantly if you don't understand it fully.

Even some flavored log message would go a long way to explain what's going on to new players so they can try to troubleshoot what they're doing wrong. "The Quadav hears your footsteps", "the yagudo joins their cohort", "the earth elemental senses your spellcasting", "the truesight NM sees through your ruse", etc etc

Yeah it's definitely one of the more obtuse mechanics. Here's a short aggro guide for new players in the thread:

For anything to aggro you, you need to be within a specific level range. If using /check on a monster while targeting says it's "Too weak to be worthwhile" then it won't aggro you - otherwise it probably will, assuming it aggros in the first place. There are two main types of aggro - sight and sound. Sight works as I explained above - if the enemy sees you like a metal gear guard, they'll aggro. Sound has a shorter aggro range than sight, but monsters will aggro if you get near them. Then there are two secondary types of aggro - magic and health. Both of these have VERY long ranges for aggro - 20' going by in-game units; roughly the outer ring of the radar, and about the maximum distance you can use magic / JAs. Both of them also work like sound - enemies will aggro regardless of orientation. Magic Aggro is sefl explanatory - if you cast a spell within range, the enemy will aggro you. Health aggro (also called Blood Aggro) means that if you're within aggro range while in Yellow health (75%) or lower, the enemy will aggro you. A few enemies in Aht Urghan areas will aggro JAs or WSs similarly to magic aggro, but that's exceedingly rare and I honestly don't even know which enemies this applies to (imps?). Some enemies aggro BOTH sight and sound, but they're usually big scary bosses that are very obvious. There are also "True sight" and "True sound" mobs, which will aggro even if you're invisible / sneak'd. This tends to be reserved for NMs, but can apply to some normal enemies (Taurus with true sight and Poroggo with true sound are the standout examples)

Unfortunately, there's no way to tell whether or not an enemy will aggro or what types of aggro it uses, however there are noticeable patterns. Anything mean-looking probably aggros, as well as anything humanoid (beastmen). Lizards, fish, and bugs often tend to aggro as well. Plant-based monsters tend NOT to aggro. If you can't easily tell which direction an enemy is facing (such as slimes, worms, leeches, etc) then it's safe to assume it aggros via sound. The reverse doesn't always apply though - Quadav are beastmen where it's very easy to tell what direction they face, but they still aggro sound. Magical enemies (elementals, golems, bombs) will usually aggro magic, and almost always they will also aggro sound. Undead enemies (skeletons, ghosts, creepy dogs) will almost always blood aggro, along with aggroing via sound. There are exceptions to all these rules of thumb (bombs aggro magic, but also aggro sight despite it being hard to tell the direction they face), but overall they're consistent.

Just because an enemy aggros does NOT necessarily mean that it links, and vice-versa. Linkable enemies will link even if you're so high level that they won't aggro - this can prove deadly if you get cocky on lowish-level enemies. Enemies can link both via sight and / or sound - if they aggro, their linking method will always be the same as their aggro method. Beastmen, bugs (beetles, crawlers, worms), bats (both single and triple varieties), and plants will pretty much always link.

Enemies will also pursue you if you try to run from them. Some enemies will pursue via scent - if you use a deoderant (either the item or the spell) then the enemy will continue pursuing up tot he point where you were deoderized and then stop pursing if you're outside of its aggro range. You can also run through water (rivers, lakes, rainy weather, etc) to get a deoderizer effect - note that if you're still in aggro range of an enemy when it reaches the end of your scent trail, it can still aggro you. This mechanic is mostly useless because enemies run just as fast as you, and it takes a long time to stop and use the item / cast the spell. It mostly comes into play if you know your party's hosed and you run off before your tank is dead and you know the monster will pursue you, so you can actually get enough distance for it to matter. This rarely happens because nowadays the only monsters that will pose this kind of challenge tend to be bosses, where you have nowhere to run anyways.