Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

They say that the Grinch's small heart grew three sizes that day.
the fittings are easily located on both the forums as well as ingame in the chat channel, where the list can be copied and imported into the multibuy feature, the in game fitting tool ,etc
The wiki often is just an image of some pyfa nerd poo poo or the "fit" uses jargon/not the real module name etc

If you really think its easier to use the wiki for ship fittings you may have brain damage

Sickening posted:

It would be super duper cool if these fits were just managed in game with the tools already provided, but it seems its only at the corp level and that is even more :effort:. Until they make an alliance fittings section, you are at the mercy of those in your corp to make it easier on you.

jesus christ are you unaware of goonfits? this is literally already true, you can login and use it right now

Mr. Grinch fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Aug 30, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Good news!

Being a loving wikipedia that means ANYONE can update it!

I imagine the ~~I M P O R T A N T~~ pages like fittings for doctrines are forums posts because of security and the fact that even if you locked the pages for editing you could theoretically spoof it.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Want to make an eve goon aggro? Suggest their way of doing things is frustrating and they are going to go full toxic mode. JFC

Yes, its so easy! Just click through in game chat channels to find hopefully find the fit for the ship you are looking for, its only 5 channels deep. How could this be seen as confusing at all.

:condi:

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

Sickening posted:

Want to make an eve goon aggro? Suggest their way of doing things is frustrating and they are going to go full toxic mode. JFC

Yes, its so easy! Just click through in game chat channels to find hopefully find the fit for the ship you are looking for, its only 5 channels deep. How could this be seen as confusing at all.

its really not??? :???:

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

They're literally just in game.

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

Sickening posted:

We just had several people feelgood posting about how awesome it is now that we can ping get in fleet and undock in under five minutes so yes im very invested in reducing the number of dipshits that take entire minutes to do what should take you seconds down to zero
and its not like this is new information so i see no reason to be polite about it

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Mr. Grinch posted:

We just had several people feelgood posting about how awesome it is now that we can ping get in fleet and undock in under five minutes so yes im very invested in reducing the number of dipshits that take entire minutes to do what should take you seconds down to zero
and its not like this is new information so i see no reason to be polite about it

Ok

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Hahahhahahahaa!

How the hell did we win this war? Half of us are crippled with the prospect of not being spoon fed (myself included) information.

Papi must have been worse than we can imagine to lose to us. I’m finding this discussion funny.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I asked "where's the fittings"

I got a forums link. "oh." I made a mental note of the subforum.

" where's the jackdaw fitting" I asked myself. Ctrl-F, "jac--" there it is

ok cool there's all the mainline and support info I need, plus how to fly them

cool that was easy

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

Potato Salad posted:

I asked "where's the fittings"

I got a forums link. "oh." I made a mental note of the subforum.

" where's the jackdaw fitting" I asked myself. Ctrl-F, "jac--" there it is

ok cool there's all the mainline and support info I need, plus how to fly them

cool that was easy

hey thats not fair you used the Find In Page feature instead of searching the entire forums for the string "jackdaw" next youll tell me to stop licking electric sockets

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I think it's a little old school to have threads in a forum for the fittings, but it makes sense stylistically since we're playing EVE online.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

ASAPI posted:

Hahahhahahahaa!

How the hell did we win this war?

i think you'll find we actually lost according to the EULA

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

On one hand, It Can Always Be Easier™, but on the other hand it still surprises me how many people don't understand how ^F or ^C^V work

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Both arguments are actually correct:

Is it actually “easy” to find this information? Yes.

But the information’s presentation is unfortunately presented with the bias of the presenter and what they know about a wiki or a forum, etc. It’s simple for YOU but obviously enough people don’t so this implies the existence of a solvable problem.

Instructions are incredibly tricky and if you aren’t familiar with the lingo or community, etc., even the most “simple” of instructions can be lost on the newcomer. The author(s) of instructions often don’t step back to think of the POV of the uninitiated. This is actually a big thing that classroom teachers and instructors learn (and continue to learn and improve on if they are any good). The system IS easy, but did you TEACH/SHOW others how easy it is?

The fact that someone literally said “I can’t believe people don’t know about CTRL-F!” Is a case in point.

It’s the very reason people complain and say they “can’t believe how others don’t know about thing!” It’s not that they CAN’T know it, they literally were never taught it!

NEVER take for granted or assume the knowledge other people have.

The fault imo is on the forums and wiki and Goons and not having a real “center” for information. If we want to be as newbie friendly as possible, we need to make the steps to initial knowledge of this game as simple and layman as possible and provide at least the basics of the gameplay in an easily accessible format. Is it via the in-game fittings window? A wiki? A forum post? All three?

A big problem that you should be noticing by now is that all three of those resources have their uses and pros/cons but only one can be easily navigated that can present information in chunks, with images and simple language, in a platform most are at least familiar with (the wiki).

Please refer to good wiki articles like the application process and mumble as examples. (At least last I checked forever ago). :v:

The irony is not lost on me with that statement.

dialhforhero fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Aug 31, 2021

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Honestly, like I said, the wiki needs a rebuild from the ground up with the ability to lock pages behind certain auth groups (EG only Fitings team can update the doctrine pages) and interwiki with the EVE Uni wiki so we can focus it on stuff that's actually useful like newbee advice, preserving cultural artifacts (Sions' essays, for example), and ancillary useful stuff like Abyssal guides, KrabSwarm how-tos, et cetera.

The current wiki is just so much of a mess that trying to clean it up is a quite route to burnout.

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007
this whole thing could have been a corpmail

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Dalmuti posted:

this whole thing could have been a corpmail

And it probably will be

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007

ZekeNY posted:

And it probably will be

naw GSF stands for "No Fun League" these days

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Dalmuti posted:

Oh my, am I seeing stolen goon valor? Did you reuse my unfunny joke?

Shame.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Dalmuti posted:

I must have missed the memo on that one -- it's probably buried under the mountains of spam in my corpmail folder

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

dialhforhero posted:

The fact that someone literally said “I can’t believe people don’t know about CTRL-F!” Is a case in point.

It’s the very reason people complain and say they “can’t believe how others don’t know about thing!” It’s not that they CAN’T know it, they literally were never taught it!

I was never taught that ^F exists, though? I figured it out independently by loving around with computer programs.

Ajaxify
May 6, 2009
Real men search the page with /.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

I was never taught that ^F exists, though? I figured it out independently by loving around with computer programs.

ok zero cool

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Ajaxify posted:

Real men search the page with /.

Real men don’t bother with forum fitting requirements- they just throw whatever random modules they have in the hanger on to their ship.

No Gods,
No SRP.

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

dialhforhero posted:

If we want to be as newbie friendly as possible,

This person aint a new bee they just have the computer navigation skills of that boomer in your office building that doesnt know you can refresh a browser page and closes/reopens chrome to do it

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Mr. Grinch posted:

This person aint a new bee they just have the computer navigation skills of that boomer in your office building that doesnt know you can refresh a browser page and closes/reopens chrome to do it

I am a computer touches who makes a great living doing it lol.

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

Sickening posted:

I am a computer touches who makes more money than you lol. But keep going.

:jerkbag:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

What else ya got mr grinch.

andromache
Aug 27, 2009

Lawful Neutral Paper Pusher Elemental.

Rust fix your goddamn ESI before I boot Rust Martialis and Copperfang out the loving corp. I just get this place cleaned up and your scoot your dirty rear end all over the carpet.

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

Sickening posted:

What else ya got mr grinch.

if I teach you how to use ctrl F do you think youd be so gracious as to trickle down some of your undeserved wealth unto me, a lowly peasant

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Mr. Grinch posted:

if I teach you how to use ctrl F do you think youd be so gracious as to trickle down some of your undeserved wealth unto me, a lowly peasant

Trickle down this

:condi: :smugdon:

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

Sickening posted:

Trickle down this

:cond: :smugtrump:

what is a "computer touches"? I tried to search the forums and couldnt find it
maybe you should use that gigantic salary to take a computer class or something

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Mr. Grinch posted:

what is a "computer touches"? I tried to search the forums and couldnt find it
maybe you should use that gigantic salary to take a computer class or something

:hmmyes:

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

it is i, the gatekeeper

all ye what can't hold down the ctrl button and tap F are cast from my domain

snail
Sep 25, 2008

CHEESE!

The Hambulance posted:

The only thing I remember clearly from that time is Fawlty7 was in LUMPY, and it was always his birthday!

I wished Fawlty7 a happy birthday via Facebook just now.

And then I messaged Grobal7 with an ALL HAIL KING GROBAL, SEVENTH OF HIS NAME...

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

andromache posted:

Rust fix your goddamn ESI before I boot Rust Martialis and Copperfang out the loving corp. I just get this place cleaned up and your scoot your dirty rear end all over the carpet.

I saw "password change fucks ESI" but hadn't been booted so I was "oh I must be ok" but didn't ACTUALLY check. Sorry boss.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Rust Martialis posted:

I saw "password change fucks ESI" but hadn't been booted so I was "oh I must be ok" but didn't ACTUALLY check. Sorry boss.

CCP making the ESI rest on a password change was a hateful act, right up there with allowing people to apply to a new corp while having roles in their old one.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
I’m gay and have 8 days left on Cruise Missiles V :dance:

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Kitfox88 posted:

I’m gay and have 8 days left on Cruise Missiles V :dance:
Did I miss that they added that first thing as a requirement for joining dread fleets with krabswarm?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
i will never fly a cap ever subcap 4 lyfe