Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

I generally sit through the credits of any game I really like but I had to skip this game's because the end was going on 10+ minutes without actually stopping once it hit the backer(?) credits. Crazy how many people backed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

VanillaGorilla posted:

If I'm honest, I think that they probably could have cut "real" Nick's whole storyline, and the whole deal with the Truman and the "mole" and it would have made for a more coherent and tighter story. The heart of the story is with the original psychonauts and dealing with their issues, and the spoilered stuff kind of strayed away from that core.

I kind of go back and forth a lot on (end of game spoilers) Nick Johnsmith's story and how it ties into the main plot. Nick's mind is pretty clearly about the effects of historical revisionism and taking the 'wrong' lesson away from the past. You see some of that behavior occurring with the Psychonauts as well, with the fact that any mention of Lucille being a member of the psychic 7 has been scrubbed from Psychonauts HQ. I just kind of wish that they had done more to tie the two ideas together. I can't say that Nick is without purpose; because he does drive the characters towards dealing with the threat of Maligula, and he does show that sometimes people are going to be lovely and take the wrong lesson away from things because they can get away with it. It just would have felt better if they had done more to integrate their story into the overarching plot. Right now it just kind of sticks out in comparison to every other level/character. Like they needed someone to juxtapose against Lucille so that people would feel good about Lucille being redeemed while also going like "Hey, gently caress that guy who uses strongman rhetoric."

That being said. I absolutely loved this game and hope they're able to make another.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

Evil Kit posted:

I generally sit through the credits of any game I really like but I had to skip this game's because the end was going on 10+ minutes without actually stopping once it hit the backer(?) credits. Crazy how many people backed it.

Did they actually let you skip? Reading this gave me flashbacks to asscreed 3

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Arrrthritis posted:

I kind of go back and forth a lot on (end of game spoilers) Nick Johnsmith's story and how it ties into the main plot. Nick's mind is pretty clearly about the effects of historical revisionism and taking the 'wrong' lesson away from the past. You see some of that behavior occurring with the Psychonauts as well, with the fact that any mention of Lucille being a member of the psychic 7 has been scrubbed from Psychonauts HQ. I just kind of wish that they had done more to tie the two ideas together. I can't say that Nick is without purpose; because he does drive the characters towards dealing with the threat of Maligula, and he does show that sometimes people are going to be lovely and take the wrong lesson away from things because they can get away with it. It just would have felt better if they had done more to integrate their story into the overarching plot. Right now it just kind of sticks out in comparison to every other level/character. Like they needed someone to juxtapose against Lucille so that people would feel good about Lucille being redeemed while also going like "Hey, gently caress that guy who uses strongman rhetoric."

That being said. I absolutely loved this game and hope they're able to make another.

Nick loving sucks, both as a character and as a villain. As you said, it feels like he was just put in so they could redeem Lucy by letting him be the fall guy.
'
Edit: I'm surprised there's no resolution between Lucy and Raz's father at the end, she killed his parents after all.

Edit2: Also Ford literally just forgetting Helmut.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Aug 30, 2021

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

FireWorksWell posted:

You can even use up and down on the analog stick to adjust the speed of the credits. I sped through to find my name.

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

i liked the nick stuff just because i enjoyed having the little mystery that was teased, and having that bit of thinking back/going back through the story to find the really-blatant-in-hindsight hints. They find the Luctopus key on Nick's body and immediately throw away the idea of him being the mole. The body is in a box addressed to Truman, so once it's clear there's something up with Truman (which as a lot of people identified was pretty obvious), there's a clear connection -- except that they put the body bit before the Hollis levels, and the Truman/Raz conversation after it, so it's easy for that to drop out of your brain. The psychic plants, Lili being sure something isn't right, all easy to dismiss but teases that made me, personally, feel like it was the "right" answer, which helps me a lot in enjoying a spy/thriller-style setup. I think it's ok to have felt a lot more connection with the whole Psychic 7 story, but I personally needed the mole throughline, and was happy with how it resolved.

Also I guess the It's A Small World ride just clicked for me, and the big gauntlet fight made me feel good exercising a bunch of my upgraded powers.

As a side note, the bit in FF where Raz says "catch me, angels!", I legitimately missed the jump and Raz decided to call out the angels for not catching him, which endeared me more to that level.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

FireWorksWell posted:

it's been sorta answered already but yeah you can at any time, just like any cutscene or dialogue.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Finished the game last night. It was everything I'd been hoping it would be.

End game spoilers: one thing I really liked was the water curse reveal. The hand had been putting you safely back on dry land all this time, its so obvious in hindsight! Its nice they took away the respawning damage and changed the animation too.

One thing though, has anyone else been experiencing a lot of weird little glitches? I've never found so many spots you can climb in the air, animation bugs etc.

I found what seemed like a pretty bad glitch in the gulch area. In the managerie area theres these kinda wicker looking hanging cages around, some of them are set up so you walk into them through a round opening, but theres one higher up in the area thats is shaped so you can jump onto the 'door' hole and raz will do his close to the edge animation but not fall in. You're clearly not meant to go inside this cage. However its actually really easy to hop inside if you jump into the hole from the right angle. It was the first thing i did when i was exploring the area the first time. Once inside you cant jump out even though you can obviously fit through the hole. I had to reload the game to get out!

Which wasn't a big deal because this game autosaves all the time and takes like three seconds to load back up on my ssd.

I checked back during the post game to see if i was unlucky but after testing its really really easy to jump inside this thing. I also found out that if you can pull out levitation and mash yourself into the corner of the cage just right you can make raz wig out enough that he'll either pop through the cage entirely or pop out the hole. First time i did this the i landed in the water and respawned inside the cage again lol.

However there is a side efect of this ejection process and with a little practice I have learned to contol it a little. I have becone proficient in the Long Raz:

BitterAvatar
Jun 19, 2004

I do not miss the future
I thought it could never happen to me, but of course that stupid drat banana held me up from getting 100%. I even knew I needed it, but just could not see it. What an obnoxious placement.

At least I finally got there, unlike Waterloo, where I've had a single missing figment MULTIPLE TIMES

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I love using clairvoyance and seeing the various ways Raz is seen by others. Lili's view of Raz is very :3:

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

The soundtrack isn't being released until October, dammit. Well at least I found where it's going to be.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Jerusalem posted:

I love using clairvoyance and seeing the various ways Raz is seen by others. Lili's view of Raz is very :3:

an interesting thing about clairvoyance is that if you accidentally attack an animal, all animals will see you as a monster from that point on.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

IShallRiseAgain posted:

an interesting thing about clairvoyance is that if you accidentally attack an animal, all animals will see you as a monster from that point on.

Nooooooo!!!!

I have accidentally hit one with a TK blast after forgetting I'd switched from clairvoyance, but I just thought the majority saw you (and all humans) as slavering bloodthirsty beasts. I am sure I've also still run into animals after that which see me in different ways... maybe getting the TK petting pin helps to rehabilitate your reputation with the animals?

Edit: I also accidentally used telekinesis on Nona once while testing to see if I could grab something else in the campground, but she just thanked me for fixing her back problems :shobon:

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I love that there's plenty of extra dialog for trying things or using your powers on things. I think there's lines for just about ever permutation of thoughts you can connect in Hollis' mind.

A favorite for the line delivery: Attacking Lobotto in Sasha's lab "I thought we had a truce :("

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

Jerusalem posted:

The first time i used it on a rat I was pretty disturbed.

So far my favorite is either Psi King's or Sasha's though.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Finally done.

Yellow Submarine level was awesome. Nice homage to Grateful Dead, as well.

I'm sure other people have pointed that out. Still, pretty amazed by that whole level.

E: Just searched the thread and no one mentioned this? Wow. Part of the song at the end was taken 100% from the movie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vefJAtG-ZKI&t=41s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfQhhlndhOk&t=90s

Waltzing Along fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Aug 31, 2021

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

Completed the main plot, amazing sequel, surprised this turned out as good as it is considering Double Fine's stuff has been pretty all over the place since the 1st Psychonauts.

Post ending question: How did Nick manage to put the mental block in Loboto preventing him from snitching? Nothing suggested he has psychic capability whatsoever

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ConfusedPig posted:

Completed the main plot, amazing sequel, surprised this turned out as good as it is considering Double Fine's stuff has been pretty all over the place since the 1st Psychonauts.

Post ending question: How did Nick manage to put the mental block in Loboto preventing him from snitching? Nothing suggested he has psychic capability whatsoever

That was done by scaring the poo poo out of loboto. The fear is entirely Loboto's

Chewybiteems
Mar 16, 2009
I personally thought the game topped not only the first but every 3D platformer I've ever played, and I've played pretty much every one of them except Mario Odyssey. I can nitpick the plot and some slightly wonky gameplay elements at times but the characterization is top notch and the artistic and thematic direction in most areas (especially Psi-King, Bob's Bottles, final level) tops anything I've seen in the genre, even in most animated films. It's a masterpiece and if you liked the first one it is worth paying full price for this one. Entirely spoilers after.

I actually really liked the warring-personalities writer level where you gain your archetype. The side-scroller portions reminded me of a Mark Danielewski book ie House of Leaves or The Familiar series, never seen something like that implemented so fully in a platformer. I felt it did the same sort of thing as the theater critic level in 1 but more refined and in-depth, and I liked the criminal past aspect of the character so it isn't pure "tortured artist" but instead is something a lil more nuanced.

Bob's Bottles hit me super hard as someone who has struggled with alcoholism and loss. Hits you even harder when you have to find the one figment you're missing from the level lmao. 100% guarantee it's that fuckin' banana.

Psi-King has a similar issue with being left with 1-2 missing figments and good fuckin' luck, but it's imo the best looking level I've ever seen in a platformer. If you've done psychedelic drugs, you'll pick up on the subtle light trails on everything and such. Brilliant graphic design and the song that concludes the chapter bangs.

Fantastic game, the rest has already been said, would love to see a third in my lifetime.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

The nice thing about wanting a Psychonauts 3 is that it probably won't take 16 years this time

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

Waltzing Along posted:

Nice homage to Grateful Dead, as well.

Was there an explicit reference/homage in there, or do you mean just the general concept/vibe of the level?

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

After riding the funicular a dozen times I finally figured out it's secret.

Use the Time Warp pin on it.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

kidcoelacanth posted:

The nice thing about wanting a Psychonauts 3 is that it probably won't take 16 years this time

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

CaptainSkinny posted:

I'm mad now, you can repair the fenicular? I've been riding the logs to get up to that area!

Every other time you need telekenisis you get a big glowing auto target, I wrote the gears off when the first one i found bounced away when i threw it.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

CaptainSkinny posted:

I had the idea, but I didn't have the pin when I thought of it and didn't bother later.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mr Phillby posted:

I'm mad now, you can repair the fenicular? I've been riding the logs to get up to that area!

Every other time you need telekenisis you get a big glowing auto target, I wrote the gears off when the first one i found bounced away when i threw it.

There are cogs in the area you can TK back onto the engine right next to it to fix it. Raz has a whole dialog for riding it.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Barudak posted:

There are cogs in the area you can TK back onto the engine right next to it to fix it. Raz has a whole dialog for riding it.
Yeah i get that its just when I came across it in game I tried to put the gears back on and it didn't seem to work so i gave up. I watched a video and it looks like i have to aim for the pegs manually, everything else like it in the game has a very obvious snap to target effect so i thought the point was that it was broken and you had to puzzle out another way up (which there is so nbd).

I'm excited to ride the fenicular after being teased by it all game at least.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Hello, I haven't read the entire thread but just wanted to say how happy I am to actually be playing this game. It's absolutely fantastic and I don't think I've ever had my expectations for a game exceeded so much before.

I just finished the Psi-King's Sensorium last night and was totally engrossed the entire time.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Mr Phillby posted:

Yeah i get that its just when I came across it in game I tried to put the gears back on and it didn't seem to work so i gave up. I watched a video and it looks like i have to aim for the pegs manually, everything else like it in the game has a very obvious snap to target effect so i thought the point was that it was broken and you had to puzzle out another way up (which there is so nbd).

I'm excited to ride the fenicular after being teased by it all game at least.

I am pretty it had the snap on, because I literally just turned in the general direction of the machine from afar and right clicked and they all clicked in their proper places. It just didn't show the snap on marker on particular pegs, I guess.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It does have snap on but it's pretty funky and can just not work the first time you throw it

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I mean theres no visual lock on. Everywhere else in the game where you have to throw things into other things the aiming cursor will snap to the target and become more visible. The only other example i can think of is the Judges bossfight but you're aiming at big far off targets and thats kinda the whole challenge of the fight. Maybe the 'puzzle' was too obvious with the target snapping to the generator automatically? Its just a weird little inconsistency. Honestly telekinesis is my least favorite power besides clairvoyance (make it a context sensitive thing in Psychnauts 3 imo) because its just finicky to use in general.

Speaking of me not understanding telekinesis the Judge enemies were the the worst for a long time because I never tried telekinesis on them. They take a long time to whittle down with punches and psi-blasts alone but i did get pretty good at dodging their attacks.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Is there some show or otherwise famous thing that has a notable funicular at a nature park with a curiosities/oddities shop? It has a lot of the trappings of Gravity Falls, but I haven't watched much of it to know if they make a big deal out of a funicular. I'm only wondering because the one thing that does have this combination of things was The Adventure Zone: Amnesty, where they mention a funicular a lot (and where I first learned what they are)

Or maybe this is just a universal enough thing in Appalachia that it isn't a media reference but just somebody pointing out the neat thing that exists and has a fun name :shrug:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
midgame spoilers:

the compton's cookoff boss fight was one of the more unpleasant things i've experienced in a platformer and not entirely for intentional reasons

the imagery was horrifying! the constant soundbites about goat puke every time i took damage was infuriating!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

thecluckmeme posted:

Is there some show or otherwise famous thing that has a notable funicular at a nature park with a curiosities/oddities shop? It has a lot of the trappings of Gravity Falls, but I haven't watched much of it to know if they make a big deal out of a funicular. I'm only wondering because the one thing that does have this combination of things was The Adventure Zone: Amnesty, where they mention a funicular a lot (and where I first learned what they are)

Or maybe this is just a universal enough thing in Appalachia that it isn't a media reference but just somebody pointing out the neat thing that exists and has a fun name :shrug:

They're all over appalachia; major US cities have funiculars in them.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Barudak posted:

They're all over appalachia; major US cities have funiculars in them.

That's fair, I was just curious because it leads up to the cryptid/oddities museum, which those two things are notable from that arc of the podcast. Probably just a coincidence but I'll remember it in 5 years as a cheeky nod to a podcast where the audience probably overlaps

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
WTF

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBC3y76OTqw

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
What happens if you deliberately submit CRAP during the Cookoff?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Sway Grunt posted:

Was there an explicit reference/homage in there, or do you mean just the general concept/vibe of the level?

The music. The images are Yellow Submarine, the music is the dead. There are hints of Truckin and St. Stephen and probably others. The music, especially the guitar, is very much done in a dead-like way.

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH

I refuse to believe this is real and I have to try it and see

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

thanks alot assbag posted:

I refuse to believe this is real and I have to try it and see

i just tried it and it's real

Note that if you just throw like they do in the video you might hit the lamp instead of the big neon sign and you only get one shot per entry into the level, i had to carry the item forward and throw it from much closer.